Less creative episode titles?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Less creative episode titles?

Default Less creative episode titles?

Notice TPCI lately haven't been coming up with creative titles for the dubbed episodes?

I know 4kids was notorious for putting puns in their titles but TPCI title names seem pretty bland especially in Season 16 (Adventures in Unova)

Not really a issue just something I noticed.

{{HOENN INTENSIFIES}} Insignificantbread's Avatar

Default Re: Less creative episode titles?

Yeah I've been noticing that too I mean Saving Braviary? To Catch a Rotom? Iris and the Rouge Dargonite? The DP ones were waayyy more creative.

Blog Entries

Explosive Birth! Cycling Road!

I know I know, it's a Japanese title and most of them are "Explicit Event?!?!!?! Hyper Tag Line!?", but this one takes the cake.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu View Post
    A lot of people point out that Pikachu beat Regice and is therefore super powerful, but I tend to ignore that because it was such a bullshit victory. That wasn't a showcase of how powerful Pikachu had become; it was simply terrible, terrible writing.

This isn't really that recent of a thing, either. I'm in the middle of rewatching the Johto section of the OS and most of the titles are pretty boring. There are definitely some puns, but there are a bunch of pretty bland titles here as well.

I really like it

I prefer a title that gives us an idea of what we're in for over a lame joke that makes little sense.

No, I don't care that kids are primary audience and that other kiddy dubs have sucky titles. An episodes title should us an indication of why to watch. Not make us potentially apathic to it...
    Shantae and the Pirate's Curse Wii U: Available Christmas!

Blog Entries

Some of the pun titles just didn't work. Like "Cheers on Castaways Isle." I knew it was supposed to be a play on "...here on Gilligan's Isle," but it just didn't sound good. Then there's "Pace--The Final Frontier." Obviously meant to channel "Space--the final frontier" from Star Trek, but I never understood what "Pace" was supposed to mean in that context. Any help on that?
    You Might Be A Redneck If...

You think The Nutcracker is something you did off the high dive.
    You've ever smuggled food out of an all-you-can-eat buffet.
    The original color of your carpet is an unsolved mystery.
    You've had more court dates than second dates.
    The closest you've come to royalty is eating at Burger King.
    You've ever stared at a carton of orange juice because it said "concentrate."
    You think a quarterhorse is that ride in front of K-Mart.

Join the toad side! Emperor Palpitoad's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The most creative of them all: Ash catches a pokemon.
    JOIN THE TOAD SIDE
    AND MAY THE BLUE FORCE BE WITH YOU
    AND I AM NOT YOUR FATHER!

Blog Entries

I actually prefer straightforward titles over the punny ones from Johto-Sinnoh... Typically. Some of them admittedly worked ("Fire and Ice" for the ice field battle with an Arcanine), others didn't ("A Claim to Flame" sort of sounds like, and I'm sorry for saying this, a coming-out-of-the-closet episode)

The Japanese ones are pretty bad too since they use "ZOMG It's a battle! Vs. ______!!" about every other episode.
    Last edited by Miar; 2nd September 2013 at 06:10 PM.

Join the toad side! Emperor Palpitoad's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Battling Authority once again. What does that even mean?
    JOIN THE TOAD SIDE
    AND MAY THE BLUE FORCE BE WITH YOU
    AND I AM NOT YOUR FATHER!

{{HOENN INTENSIFIES}} Insignificantbread's Avatar

Yeah I see what you guys mean and I noticed they could go over board with the puns May we Harley Drew'd Ya? I know they're using names but the audience wouldnt really get what that meant.

Quote Originally Posted by Sashaa View Post
    Yeah I've been noticing that too I mean Saving Braviary? To Catch a Rotom? Iris and the Rouge Dargonite? The DP ones were waayyy more creative.
    The reasoning behind this is that TPCi has begun to translate the japanese ones. For instance, the Japanese title for Iris and the Rouge Dargonite was Iris and the Roughneck Kairyu! (Kairyu is Dragonite's Japanese name).

4Kids' certainly took some creative liberties with the titles (among other things), but the puns were pretty decent most of the time. A few were cringe-worthy, though.

TPCi's were mostly the same quality in BF and DP as 4Kids' titles, but in BW I'd say their episode titles are the best thing for the dub in this regard.

While I don't prefer the TPCi dub myself, and find the 4Kids dub superior overall when weighing the pros and cons of both dubs, there are some things about it I do prefer to the 4Kids dub. One thing being how faithful they are to the titles in the Original Japanese Version, and the titles in the original are often quite cool and mature for a kids' show.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't really have a problem with the 4Kids' dub titles or TPCi's dub titles for BF/DP, and in a way I do admire how creative the dubbers were before BW with the episode titles. Kind of cute, if a bit silly and immature.

Bonded Forever Misty Calls Masquerain's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Ash and Trip's Third Battle - So Bland! Why didn't they just use "A Trip to Third", "Tripping to Third" or something else?

I'm still bitter "Weekend Warrior" wasn't called "Rock Star In Contest". Seriously, so many other season 9 episode titles are references to game/reality shows, why not that one? Sure, it would possibly be the worst episode title pun ever, but still.

There are merits to both approaches, but as with many things I think the best approach is somewhere in between. The best titles are just clever enough that they fit the episode without coming off as too cheesy.

I definitely missed the rhymes and puns. :(

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast