Lamest Episode Titles - Page 4

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Lamest Episode Titles

Blog Entries

Default Re: Lamest Episode Titles

Quote Originally Posted by Scott85 View Post
    To be fair haven't Japanese titles spoiled evolutions before too? Like the Grotle one in Japanese, and a couple of others I can't remember at the moment.
    The most infamous example I can remember was AG108. The Dub title is, "Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snorunt!". The original Japanese title is, "Catch Yukiwarashi (Snorunt)!" Gee, I wonder what that episode is going to be about. LOL.

cheese! Insanish Danish's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries

Follow Insanish Danish on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Scott85 View Post
    I find it funny how some titles were almost repeated:

"The Joy of Pokemon" is that ep in Orange Islands with the tanned Nurse Joy.

"The Joy of Water Pokemon" is that ep in Johto where Nurse Joy had a fear of water Pokemon.

With the exception of that one word, the dub title would have been exactly the same.
    Kind of like how there was that episode in Johto called "Flower Power", and then the one in AG, "Now That's Flower Power".
    back to being a non-edible pastry

Quote Originally Posted by Luxio2k8 View Post
    The original Japanese title is, "Catch Yukiwarashi (Snorunt)!" Gee, I wonder what that episode is going to be about. LOL.
    The act of throwing a monster ball at a Pokemon and having it join the team is not called "catching", but "getting". You're not reading the title right.
    So.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamant View Post
    The act of throwing a monster ball at a Pokemon and having it join the team is not called "catching", but "getting". You're not reading the title right.
    Dang, that's a thin hair to split. I thought that WAS called "catching" a Pokemon. Does the Japanese terminology differentiate between battling-weakening-catching and the Pokemon voluntarily getting in the ball? Or has "getting" always been the original term in Japanese, and the English word is just a poor translation? ("Gotta get'em all" sounds a little weird, though....)

On the subject of repeating titles...well, the anime IS over a decade old now! I guess after that long, reusing your own titles becomes more and more probable....
    Quote Originally Posted by V Faction View Post
    Look, it's very simple! Lake Calamity, Lake Acurracy, and Lake Vitality! There it all is, black and white, clear as crystal! And maybe ruby and sapphire.

My Pokémon fics. Let me show you them.

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyAeon View Post
    Dang, that's a thin hair to split. I thought that WAS called "catching" a Pokemon. Does the Japanese terminology differentiate between battling-weakening-catching and the Pokemon voluntarily getting in the ball? Or has "getting" always been the original term in Japanese, and the English word is just a poor translation? ("Gotta get'em all" sounds a little weird, though....)
    What is referred to as "catching" a Pokemon in the English translation of the franchise is called "getting" (ゲット or GET) in the original (if you've played the original Pokemon Pinball, note the oddity of having to spell "CA-TC-H!" to catch a pokemon. Originally, you spelled "G-E-T") It was changed due to, well, not really sounding too good in English.

But yeah, this episode title refers to "catching" the Yukiwarashi as in, "it's running away, we must get ahold of it". Sure, we knew it would join the team, since it had been appearing in the ending animation for a while when the title was announced, but there's nothing in the title itself that hints at this. Had the title been "Stop Yukiwarashi", "Find Yukiwarashi" or "Search for Yukiwarashi", no one would've thought anything of it.

The fifth DP episode, however, is quite blatantly named "Get Naetle". So yeah.
    So.

Was there an episode called "Let Flygons be Flygons?" That's the lamest one I can come up with. That and "A Cloyster %$@!" but I don't think they'd use that one. A few other existing notables...

"Ghoul Daze!" - A Spike Lee Joint.
    "Snow Way Out" - Lame!
    "Luxray Vision!" - I remember there use to be a thread where we were asked to guess the episode title and I think someone actually got this one.
    Last edited by Gligarman; 28th March 2009 at 02:59 AM.

Blog Entries

Follow Yoshi-san on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Gligarman View Post
    Was there an episode called "Let Flygons be Flygons?" That's the lamest one I can come up with.
    There was an episode called "Let Bagons be Bagons!"

Quote Originally Posted by yoshi12370 View Post
    Oh yeah. I actually saw that episode now that I think about it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by yoshi12370 View Post
    They just put A as the replacement of I

Quote Originally Posted by Gligarman View Post
    ...lamest one I can come up with. That and "A Cloyster %$@!" but I don't think they'd use that one.
    Okay, I actually Laughed Out Loud at that....
    Quote Originally Posted by V Faction View Post
    Look, it's very simple! Lake Calamity, Lake Acurracy, and Lake Vitality! There it all is, black and white, clear as crystal! And maybe ruby and sapphire.

My Pokémon fics. Let me show you them.

MEGA F'ING AMPHAROS!!! Ampharos King's Avatar
    Blog Entries

God, I hate dub titles. Most of them, if not all of them, are terrible. Most of these titles are puns of expressions, sayings, etc. while others basically make no sense at all.
    The JAP titles are so much better (if anything, they get to the point of what the episode is about).

Pokemon Master in College Miki-Fan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Boron View Post
    God, I hate dub titles. Most of them, if not all of them, are terrible. Most of these titles are puns of expressions, sayings, etc. while others basically make no sense at all.
    The JAP titles are so much better (if anything, they get to the point of what the episode is about).
    I think that with the Japanese version, the only thing that matters is a good episode rather than a "catchy" title

"Gettin Twiggy With it" was one of the single most terrible titles that the dub has come up with.

I mean, honestly?

What a terrible reference of pop culture. I mean, the only thing worse than the fact that it was a crummy reference to the Harlem/Yorker slang term and Will Smith's rap song, is the fact that it was a reference to something that was mainstream circa TEN YEARS AGO.

It's one thing to make a crappy reference. It's another thing to make a crappy reference to something that was feintly popular a decade ago.
    -----

And it's so funny to see people actually making this exclusive to dub titles. Really now? Really?

'Cause I'd take a clever reference such as "Good 'Quil Hunting", over "Hinoarashi! Catch It!!" any day. Contrary to what seems to be the belief here, flooding titles with exclamation marks to enforce an exciting intonation behind the text at hand does not make it any more appealing to the viewer. I feel like I'm being yelled at.

Let's be fair here, honestly.
    -----

Quote Originally Posted by Miki-Fan View Post
    I think that with the Japanese version, the only thing that matters is a good episode rather than a "catchy" title
    Ummm, you say that as though the dub has any real control over the plot of the episode itself. If their primary job is to translate the contents of the episode over to the states (in this case), then what's wrong with throwing a "'catchy' title" in while doing so?
    Last edited by Trainer'sInsomnia; 29th March 2009 at 01:55 AM.

L-Z

Quote Originally Posted by Boron View Post
    Yeah, but the JAP titles are so boring. I mean, come on, a little creativity, please! I still can't get over "Egg, Hatch" and I think the point of the episode title ISN'T to reveal what's going to happen in the episode.

And the title itself is hardly anything to complain about, since no one can be expected to remember them all, and it's easier to reference them with "the one with" and so on.

And since everyone seems to list some dub titles, I'll list some translated ones. "Champion Cynthia appears!" seems to be the worst example, because it kind of spoils everything and isn't too creative or anything. I think there also was a "Get Turtwig!". And it seems that they come up with the titles at the last minute, since I remember some titles like "New Rival" such. And they always have those exclamation marks in them.

To be fair, of course the titles sound much dumber when they're translated. Still, I'll take a clever or even not-so-clever pun over "Get Turtwig!" anyday.
    Last edited by L-Z; 29th March 2009 at 02:07 PM.

PURPLE HERMIT! Chosen of Mana's Avatar Archives Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Chosen of Mana On Twitter

"Getting the Pre-Contest Titters" for making my mind go in the gutter. D:<

Big claimin'
    Cresselia (Pokémon)
    Colette Brunel [Tales of Symphonia] and Yuri Lowell [Tales of Vesperia] (Video game characters)

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast