Is it just me, or is AG and DP Ash much too tall for a 10 year old? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is it just me, or is AG and DP Ash much too tall for a 10 year old?

Default Re: Is it just me, or is AG and DP Ash much too tall for a 10 year old?

There is what appears to be a reference image in the inserts for the TR radio drama EP shows the relative heights for the characters, and Misty is in fact marginally taller than Ash there. Of course, the actual anime may not be completely consistent, particularly for characters that haven't been on the show for a while.

Since when does someone's height indicate how old that person is?

Crimson Fighter PhilosophyPhlare's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Frazay View Post
    For people under 15 since forever. I mean some people are taller than others but people grow.
    Nyanners is love. Nyanners is life.

PKMN Master (in training) trainer_ebony's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Its not just hight. He simply looked older in those generations. He also matured just alittle bit :P He learned, and BW scraped all that.
    And on this topic, it is impossible for him to still be 10. Litterally impossible. Its canon that he started his journey when he was 10 years, 10 months and 10 days old.
    The date of Ash's birth, according to Takeshi Shudo's anime novelizations, is 10 years, 10 months, and 10 days exactly prior to the day he began his Pokémon journey. Being that the same novelization declares that Pokémon Trainers obtain their first Pokémon in April of the year following their 10th birthday, and the anime itself began broadcast on the first of that month in 1997 in Japan, Ash's birthday, if April 1 was the first day of his journey, would be May 22.
    This means not only would EVERYTHING in the series have to have happened in less than 2 months, but also that, because there is always a new trainer starting on the day he goes to a new reigon, that it all happened in (the likely early half of) April.
    Last edited by trainer_ebony; 6th October 2012 at 01:03 AM.
    Pokemon Black- 3439-6961-3323
    Pokemon Black2-4342-0303-5375

Arms... like... nooodles! The Togekiss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow The Togekiss on Tumblr

I don't think Ash looked taller, he just looked older in AG and DP. in AG and DP, he looked to be at least 11 or 12 to me.

My deviantArt account... http://thetogekiss.deviantart.com/
    Claimed: Togekiss (yay!) ,Oblivious, Pokeradar,and Razor Fang! July 8th, 2012, Air Slash July 20th, 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Wyvernphlare View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Frazay View Post
    For people under 15 since forever. I mean some people are taller than others but people grow.
    I know plenty of people, that are young, but they are very tall. I just don't see how this is an accurate way to determine someone's age.

Blog Entries

@Frazay; which is cover by the line some people are taller the others -_- Variation of a size to screw you up isn't that common

Hyping over Steven Stone Kyriaki's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Kyriaki on Tumblr

No. Ash always looked the same to me. Misty and Dawn were taller than Ash because from around 10 to 13/14, most girls grow bigger than boys in height in real life, so I thought the anime reflected that as well. (Which would mean Bel is certainly older than Ash given her tall height, only a few inches smaller than Cilan. Then again, she could just be tall...)

Anyways, Ash just looks like 10 to me in terms of height.

I'm sure Hikari isn't taller than Satoshi. You must be mistaken.

http://i.imgur.com/j36VH.jpg
    1. Satoshi/Ash Ketchum: 801 episodes
    2. Team Rocket: 736 episodes
    3. Takeshi/Brock: 633 episodes
    4. Kasumi/Misty: 282 episodes
    5. Hikari/Dawn: 201 episodes
    6. Haruka/May: 197 episodes
    7. Masato/Max: 192 episodes
    8. Iris: 141 episodes
    9. Dent/Cilan: 138 episodes
    10. Kenji/Tracey: 44 episodes

Quote Originally Posted by martianmister View Post

... She actually does look a smidge taller than him there.

Then again, Ash is kinda slouching, so yeah.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by YamiiDenryuu View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by martianmister View Post

... She actually does look a smidge taller than him there.

Then again, Ash is kinda slouching, so yeah.
    Dawn's on her tiptoes but I remember Dawn being taller in DP (specifically in a night time scene in build during season 10 I think during her first contest) and there was an art style change between DP and BW so that might explain it.

I! AM NOT! A MORON! Sith Droideka's Avatar

He was bit too everything to still be 10 in Hoenn/Sinnoh. It's such a shame that Dialga decided to permanently time-lock him at his 10th birthday isn't it?
    ALL Pokémon Are EQUAL, But SOME Pokémon Are MORE EQUAL Than Others

Oceania is at war with Eurasia Eastasia Eurasia Eastasia, and has always been at war with them!

WAR IS PEACE. FREEDOM IS SLAVERY. IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH. GOD IS POWER.

Next PolySci/Econ Test: November 8, 2016; Your crash-course will begin January 2013.

Galvantula ≥ Kyurem > Mewtwo > Arceus

Blog Entries

I really didn't pay attention to his height that much. A lot of anime characters look older or younger than they really are, so it's really no surprise to me.

Look Forward, Team Rocket!

Also I claim Piplup in the Claim a Pokemon thread =)

This world is merciless Pokemaster97's Avatar Bulbanews Senior WriterArchives StaffBulbapedia StaffModerator
    Blog Entries

Visit Pokemaster97's Youtube Channel

Ash did look a bit more mature during the DP saga IMO, but it wasn't his height that made it seem that way in my eyes. BW's new design of Ash, with the different eye design made him appear younger to me.

Ages are quite vague going just by appearances in the Pokemon anime. D: For the longest time I thought Takeshi was in his early 20s, but no, he's just an older/mid teen. He sure doesn't look it. Satoshi, on the other hand, does look 10 to me, even in AG and DP.
    Signature is a WIP for the moment.
    For now, I have claimed: Mewtwo, Member's Card, Wide Lens, Honey Gather, and Psystrike.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12