NEWS: Iris and Cilan leaving discussion. (Confirmed) - Page 5

View Poll Results: Will you miss Iris and/or Cilan?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • I will miss them both

10 31.25%
  • I will only miss Cilan

9 28.13%
  • I will only miss Iris

1 3.13%
  • I will miss them, but I like the new characters more

3 9.38%
  • I won't miss either of them

9 28.13%
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Like Tree189Likes

Thread: Iris and Cilan leaving discussion. (Confirmed)

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default re: Iris and Cilan leaving discussion. (Confirmed)

When Iris and Cilan leave I want to see them cry their eyes out over not traveling with Ash anymore. Not because I think they're that close to him, but because I want to see a farewell that proves to people that Ash isn't obsessed with Misty and Brock and doesn't favor them over his other friends.

I'd laugh so much if Ash and Iris cry as they say goodbye to each other. Please let it happen.

Blog Entries
    Follow はるひ On Twitter Add はるひ on Facebook
    Follow はるひ on Tumblr Visit はるひ's Youtube Channel

Welp, sooner or later they are going to have to leave just like Satoshi's past friends. Dento's okay... I guess and Airisu was a bit annoying with the kid comment but other than that... she's alright.

I don't know if it's just me and please don't hate me for this but these guys seem unforgettable. :[

Electrifyingly Adorable Sakuraa's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Fighting Misty View Post
    When Iris and Cilan leave I want to see them cry their eyes out over not traveling with Ash anymore. Not because I think they're that close to him, but because I want to see a farewell that proves to people that Ash isn't obsessed with Misty and Brock and doesn't favor them over his other friends.

I'd laugh so much if Ash and Iris cry as they say goodbye to each other. Please let it happen.
    I don't think anyone feels that Ash favors Misty and Brock over his other freinds. They probably do have the closest relationship since they were the first group, but I would say there was any favortism.
    Also, didn't Dawn cry when Ash and Brock left? I thought she did.

Blog Entries

Dawn did start to form tears but she stopped. Also Ash himself didn't cry when either Dawn or Brock left at the end of DP.

Who am I? Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

I'm not too fussed about Iris leaving the cast, but I'll be really disappointed if Cilan does. I really enjoyed his character throughout Best Wishes - probably the only part of the saga I consistently liked.

Electrifyingly Adorable Sakuraa's Avatar

I don't think Ash has ever cried when he parted ways with the traveling companions of any series.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Joshawott View Post
    I'm not too fussed about Iris leaving the cast, but I'll be really disappointed if Cilan does. I really enjoyed his character throughout Best Wishes - probably the only part of the saga I consistently liked.
    Cilan would just decay like Brock did if he stayed for multiple gens. Cut the cord with him now before he gets really stale.

Proud Pokeservative! 97SaturnSL1's Avatar
    Blog Entries

i do think it will be a bit sad to see both of them leave. if Cilan gets axed, i will want to see what Purrloin did to him that traumatized him. the picture of him in that poster had one right by him so i hope that the story doesnt becom the next GS Ball.

With Iris i belive she will be the one most likely to get replaced. i am not looking forward to the new female protagonist possibly replacing Iris. i would rather see the BW/2 protagonists have screen time that isnt movie cameos. i really do hope if that The XY protagonist do replace the duo that they are not to the character grade that cameron and bianca were
    Azumarill39 likes this.

Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

I don't know if a lot of people think that Ash is obsessed with Misty and Brock and favor them over his other friends. There's nothing about Ash that would indicate something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakuraa
    I don't think Ash has ever cried when he parted ways with the traveling companions of any series.
    He did look like he was about to cry when Misty and Brock left, but I don't think that means he was closer to them either. That was the first time he had to say goodbye to two friends at the same time, so it was more emotional for him.
    martianmister likes this.

Blog Entries

Iris' character always felt like an experiment to me, like she was chosen just to avoid the repetition of a third female coordinator.

But after Iris' was received lukewarm, they're probably going to go back to another female co-star next gen. I just hope the next female lead isn't a girly clone of Dawn or May.

Dawn did start to form tears but she stopped. Also Ash himself didn't cry when either Dawn or Brock left at the end of DP.
    Neither did Brock. I guess they were more used to it than Dawn was.

Damn you, you made me remember that departure episode. Oh, my feels ;_;

Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

Iris' character always felt like an experiment to me, like she was chosen just to avoid the repetition of a third female coordinator.
    Her character felt experimental to me as well, but I don't think she was chosen just to avoid the repetition of a third female coordinator. They've never had much of a problem with being repetitive and I thought that they were going for a reference to Kanto with Ash traveling with two characters who are Gym Leaders in the video games again. Besides that, they didn't really have a lot of choices for female leads. Contests weren't in BW, the Musicals turned out to be not as interactive as Contests were in the games, so they couldn't have someone traveling around for that and aside from Bianca, there weren't other young female characters that could have worked into the cast and I'm not sure if they would have wanted to have a rival character as a part of the group, even if they did make Bianca more likable and less annoying in the anime.

Iris did have a lot of potential at the start of the series, but that quickly disappeared as the series progressed, which was honestly kind of disappointing for me. I actually wanted to like Iris and I was hoping that she would get great development mirrored through Axew's growth. That clearly didn't happen, which is kind of a shame since if handled in a better fashion, Iris could have been a good character with solid development.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fighting Misty
    But after Iris' was received lukewarm, they're probably going to go back to another female co-star next gen. I just hope the next female lead isn't a girly clone of Dawn or May.
    That would work perfectly fine for me. I'd much rather go through another female co-star than another female sidekick if Misty and Iris are the examples of what they've done with female sidekicks. May and Dawn weren't perfect either, but they were more likable, interesting and had better development in my opinion. Another female co-star doesn't have a perfect chance for better development, but I think that there is a far better chance for that to happen with a female co-star than a female sidekick at this point. If they do go that route, which I certainly hope they do, I just hope that the next lead will be more likable and interesting than Iris has been for me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by H.M View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulisthebest View Post
    All I have to say is heck to the yea!!

I just hope that Cilan reaches A-Class before departing or some closure between him and Burgundy.

As for Iris, go away please just go far, far away...
    Cilan is already A-class, unless you meant S-class. I'm hoping if Cabernet appears in Da!, she would be B-class at least.

Not surprised Iris is leaving, but a bit disappointed with Cilan leaving as well. I feel like he can go another generation with Ash and new XY girl. TR can just go away forever thanks.
    Yeah S-class is what I meant to say. Funny he seems to competent at what he does to the point where he surpasses those who maybe an S-class already. Kind of like how Brock knew more than people who were already licensed Breeders like how to care for specific types of Pokemon and especially when it came to making food for their particular diets.

Yeah, I'm done with TR and I wouldn't mind Cilan being around a bit longer but Iris can seriously go off somewhere. I can take Cilan's overpowered rocky crab over ANY of Iris' Pokemon anyday.

Blog Entries

You know despite how much I hate Iris I can't find myself wanting to reflect on my hate. All I can think is this over and over: "New Companions. Come on... big money! Big money! Big money! Big money! Big money! Big money! Big money!"

I can't wait for the departure sooner that comes sooner the conclusion solo stuff happens (which I'm fan of) and then the New protagonist come and I have such hope. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPE. I can feel the hope flow through my veins. I'm a happy camper
    Caseydia likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkara
    Gary reveals that he already has six pokemon. And judging by the pokemon around that area I'm guessing he has a rat a bird two bugs AND anouther bird

pokemon fan 132 pokemon fan 132's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hidden Mew View Post
    Development wise, May and especially Dawn were handled better than Iris. With Iris, it just comes off like they were trying really hard to sell the idea that she has made progress without doing much work with her character or her Pokemon and just make her a gifted trainer.
    Agreed, but to be honest i find Misty had better development than Iris as well. While not much was done about her goal, she still changed quite alot as person and trainer maturing, getting over sisters complex and struggled working hard for things she in end achieved.

But ill save more of this for another time and more appropriate thread.

I want Cilan gone so he doesn't turn into another Brock.
    I don't think you can compare him with Brock. If writer intention was to put him in same position like Brock was he wouldn't have receive much bugger amount of focus compared to what Brock got in DP. Cilan seems much more battle oriented as character entering competitions, battling trainers and having wide specter of hobbies and interest allowing writers to keep him active despite his career of connoisseur not being fleshed out much.

Personally i wouldn't mind Cilan staying for one more region with his vivid personality and various hobbies(like fishing,being involved in detective roles solving mysteries etc) making him more than one note character and several unexplored things about his past and story having interesting potential to work upon.

In retrospective Brock worked fine in Johto and Hoenn having many memorable moments, collected impressive pokemon arsenal and pushed his breeding goal to higher level expanding on knowledge which proved to be useful for his future doctor carer.

So im sure Cilan could work for one more saga. You can't base what would be another character fate through Brock example with someone personality, carer, background and qualities specific for him determining in what way his story will go and in what role he is going to be put.

Way i see it such logic is very flawed.

Well I like Cilan but I don't really care if he leaves now. The better characters in the anime are the ones who only stay for one generation, while all the ones who last a long time wind up being handled poorly and lose their personalities and become stale.
    Maybe in your opinion, but i definitely didn't get such impression. I had no problems with Misty lasting for 2 generations expanding on her backstory, trainer skills and story. While much more was left to be desiredshe still got some great growth positive for her in longer run changing for better as displayed prior to and after departure while keeping charm and enjoyable personality. Same applies to Brock liking his role until DP, and while he was neglected there he still had several memorable moments coming of as worthwhile addition to cast. TR liking new twist when Jessie became coordinator working hard for it learning more about her and James past gaining more depth as characters. Or Ash and his big growth as trainer he made during AG and DP being at his peak.

In essence does it really matter for how long character will stay? If Cilan or Iris go, oh well that's life being fun while it lasted, But if any of them stay ill appreciate it being interested in writers doing continuation of their story.
    As long writers take character in new, exciting directions giving him proper development longer stay would only help their characters to achieve more, dive more into their backstory and grow forward in stronger, more substantial way.
    Something we can't really experience if characters constantly leave never staying for long enough to go on higher level as person and trainer failing to reach his full potential.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast