NEWS: Iris and Cilan leaving discussion. (Confirmed) - Page 3

View Poll Results: Will you miss Iris and/or Cilan?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • I will miss them both

10 31.25%
  • I will only miss Cilan

9 28.13%
  • I will only miss Iris

1 3.13%
  • I will miss them, but I like the new characters more

3 9.38%
  • I won't miss either of them

9 28.13%
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree189Likes

Thread: Iris and Cilan leaving discussion. (Confirmed)

Blog Entries

Follow HumanDawn on Tumblr

Default re: Iris and Cilan leaving discussion. (Confirmed)

Quote Originally Posted by The Fighting Misty View Post
    Whatever the case, Iris is officially going to be in the least amount of episodes of all the female characters. She only had a 3 year run in the show. I guess the debates of who the least important female lead has finally been settled.
    There's a hole in your logic here. You came to that conclusion from the amount of episodes. You said that Misty was more important than Iris because she had more episodes than her. With that logic, she's more important than May and Dawn as she more episodes than them, yet you say she's only more important than Misty.

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well Iris is another sidekick character and compared the two Misty had more episodes. But compared those two to May they had less focus, and to Dawn less focus.

So by the process of elimination Iris was not a costar with less episodes and didn't last as long as the others. So Iris is short lived.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

We all knew this was going to happen.

No gains though.

Now if TRio left, THEN I would be singing "Hallelujah!" It isn't meant to be. *sigh*

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I wonder if this means Ash will have two new companions every gen now.

Blog Entries

Iris was a good sidekick but she was always destined to become the dragon gym leader or such given her game status.

Cilan tbh suprised he is going given he can cook. Is Brock going to return. Getting a Pokemon Doctorate would take about 3 years I'd guess ;p

Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWartortle View Post
    Misty had a longer run because she was there for two Generations! Yet, her character development looked like the opposite of Iris... Nothing important for her in 274 episodes! Is that more believable than Iris' short yet succesful path? I think that when you talk about "beleivable", you inevitably compare Iris (non-Contest) to May/Dawn (Contest). Did May's Hoenn Contest wins seem more beleivable just because they were Contest wins and not Club Battle/Gym Battles? I don't think so, there was just a Skitty summoning Ribbons for her outta nowhere. Iris may have got a superpower Dragonite for herself, yet she faced the consequences in the Junior Cup. She had DEVELOPMENT that Misty/May should have been jealous of (okay, Dawn doesn't, to be honest). She got much more in BW2, and I don't think that it's overloaded... I just consider it better than Misty, who did nothing for 200 episodes and decided to do something at last-moment Master Quest (Whirl Cup, Politoed and beyond)
    Personally, I don't think that Iris is better than Misty development wise. Misty didn't really do much to advance her goal for the whole series, but they didn't try to make her look like a stronger trainer than she actually was. All of Iris' accomplishments were handed to her. And no, I wasn't comparing Iris to May or Dawn when I was talking about believable development. Just looking at Iris on her own makes all of her accomplishments look like they were handed over to her. Axew is no closer to evolving than it was at the start of the series and all if upgrades, aside from Dragon Rage at least, were pulled out of nowhere. May had cheap wins too, but her development was more believable and they didn't try to make her look like she had come a long way by the end of the series when she was still acting like a rookie. I don't think that making it to the semi-finals of the Junior Cup is dealing with the consequences of her actions with Dragonite, especially when she already got two more undeserved victories in that tournament, Dragonite going berserk didn't make sense, that entire match made Iris look like a horrible person when she didn't even consider calling Dragonite back when the attacks were close to the audience and she didn't do anything to actually learn from those mistakes. It was just resolved from her with another attempt to protect Dragonite. They did more with Iris than they did with Misty, but instead of having her work for her accomplishments, they just made her a gifted trainer, despite being in the background whenever she wasn't the focus of the episode and how most of her Pokemon were poorly trained.

Development wise, May and especially Dawn were handled better than Iris. With Iris, it just comes off like they were trying really hard to sell the idea that she has made progress without doing much work with her character or her Pokemon and just make her a gifted trainer.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fighting Misty
    Whatever the case, Iris is officially going to be in the least amount of episodes of all the female characters. She only had a 3 year run in the show. I guess the debates of who the least important female lead has finally been settled.

It's Iris, whether you like the character or not she will be remembered as the shortest lived lead of the series in terms of females.
    I still don't see how having having the least amount of episodes makes Iris the least important female lead. With that kind of logic, Misty would be the most important due to having the most episodes under her belt, which doesn't really make any sense given how she was treated in that series. Though, I definitely don't mind Iris being around for the least amount of time since I don't care for her at all, but I just don't see how this settles some ridiculous debate.

I guess Cilan being the new Brock was also wrongly assumed
    I'm not sure about that. Brock left at the end of the original series and AG, but came back in AG and DP after a few episodes. While it is entirely possible that Cilan won't stay for the next series, I think it's a bit too early to write off that possibility, especially when they haven't even started promoting the new series.

Well Iris is another sidekick character and compared the two Misty had more episodes. But compared those two to May they had less focus, and to Dawn less focus.

So by the process of elimination Iris was not a costar with less episodes and didn't last as long as the others. So Iris is short lived.
    That's true, but I still don't see how that makes Iris the least important. There's probably a difference between having less focus and not lasting as long and not being important.

Blog Entries

Follow CommanderPigg on Tumblr Visit CommanderPigg's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Chiplet View Post
    While I always knew (or rather expected, since I really didn't know for a fact and it's not yet entirely confirmed) that Iris would leave after BW's end, I still feel rather sad about it. And what's worse is that now it seems like both Dento and Iris will leave. Though I'm not sure if that is bad when I think about it... I really can't imagine Iris moving on to the next series without Dento and vice versa, so maybe having Dento leave the show too is a good thing...
    omg what am i saying im sorry Dento ;___;
    Prayer circle for Dento's fangirls (regardless of gender)......

Yeah, I don't think Cilan's gonna be sticking around anymore, and although he had waaaay less screentime than Brock, I don't want to say that he's any less important as a traveling companion because he never failed to cheer me up and good god, did you see the Banipresto figure? I'd say he was pretty popular.

But I don't think that should be the main focus...regardless of if they're short lived or not, the time they were in the anime was precious and I will miss them (especially cilan wtf why)
    Bubble Frog and Isaac Gravity like this.

"seasons change, people change"

Who am I? Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by The Fighting Misty View Post

It's Iris, whether you like the character or not she will be remembered as the shortest lived lead of the series in terms of females.
    Because Gen V is as a whole, shorter than the last two generations, whereas Misty was obviously kept in the Johto saga because Kanto was still relevant in Gen II. It has nothing to do with Iris being the least important female lead; it's more to do with Gen V as a whole being short. If Gen V was longer, Iris would be staying around for longer. It's as simple as that.

Blog Entries

Although I don't agree with the "Fighting Misty" at the most, I think that the writers are trying to forget the Gen V anime character and intend to fade out as soon as possible. Why?

-The League is airing way earlier than usual and they are making the rivals' farewells as soon as possible.
    -The writers want to make sure that Ash was resetted this region, specially in the later part. And they tried to avoid at all costs a big battles with Ash winning to evade a further reset (I know that if Ash is fully resetted in XY, the fandom will explode.
    -They are bring back many older character in the second part of the series, some of them not related to the games that they are promoting.

I think that the BW trio is the least popular of the trios by a important difference. Outside of Tracey and Max, Iris and Cilan are the less popular characters of the show, in absolute numbers and relative numbers (and the latter is more important).

´
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> GO, GO, GO, <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I want to start with XY as soon as is possible.

I have unpopular opinions: I prefer an older character returning but it isn't from the original trio. I was one of the few who liked both DP and BW. And I think that TR shouldn't leave in the anime.

The sound of drums
    Blog Entries

I see Iris leaving, but not Cilan

Banner created by Princess of Hoenn.

RONALDO!!
    Blog Entries

If this happens,

I saw it coming :yao:
    For the last time, BW is NOT a reboot.
    (Copy and paste this to your signature if you agree)

I'm a Biotic God. FEAR ME sonic10158's Avatar

I actually hope they replace Ash soon. They ruined him when he first went to Unova, and I don't want to see that happen again. They should get a whole new trio each time instead of erasing Ash's memory each time making him a beginner again.

Top game series: Pokémon, Mass Effect, Mario, Sonic, Batman Arkham, Ace Combat, Forza, GTA, Sly Cooper, etc

Who am I? Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by sonic10158 View Post
    I actually hope they replace Ash soon. They ruined him when he first went to Unova, and I don't want to see that happen again. They should get a whole new trio each time instead of erasing Ash's memory each time making him a beginner again.
    Yu-Gi-Oh! tried that....and the franchise is pretty much dead now.

Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

If anyone wants to talk about the idea of Ash being replaced or how you want Ash to leave, please take it to this thread: http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f555/do-you-think-ash-satoshi-should-replaced-114130/ Please keep the focus here on Iris and Cilan leaving instead. Thank you.

Gonna be a tl;dr Master! Shinneth's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I never once doubted that Iris would eventually be leaving the cast. For all this time, in addition to not caring for her character or the way she was written (including most of her accomplishments being handed to her rather than her honestly earning them through hard work, plus having her few mistakes almost completely handwaved off), I never could understand why she was in the group to begin with. It took 100 episodes to even get an idea of why she's with Ash and Cilan, and that STILL raised more questions than answers based on her contradictory behavior. She had no influence on Ash or Cilan's quests, and they only had a minimal effect on hers... which leads me to believe this series would have generally played out the same way without her as it did with her. So all I can say in regards to Iris leaving is good riddance. I do find it vaguely amusing that Iris has a second option in Clair, though. It's sort of a funny coincidence seeing as Pokemon Special made Iris come from Blackthorn City and all. :P

But really, I can't think of a single good reason to actually keep Iris in the main cast once Best Wishes is over. The sooner she goes, the better.

Cilan, I'm still 50/50 on. I wouldn't mind him staying on past BW, but I won't be incredibly butthurt if he doesn't last past this series either. The main draw in him staying is that, unlike Iris, he DID have a solid role in the group - mainly in being Brock's successor - so unless there's an XY character that could fit the bill here (or rather, one that the staff feels that can fit the bill), Cilan very well could pull a Brock and disappear, only to return within a few episodes of the next series. I still think the power of Mamoru Miyano is also a factor here. :P It is a power that should not be underestimated.

Final appearances by Georgia and Burgundy would be fitting before they go, but honestly I don't really care whether or not it happens, especially in Georgia's case. I can do without seeing Georgia lose to Iris' Dragonite again.

Fall can't come soon enough for me. I've never felt any sort of attachment to the BW trio, so I'm looking forward to the inevitable break-up. My apathy for Dawn/Piplup's departure may very well be topped with this upcoming departure. I don't think I've been this eager to say sayonara to a recurring character since Trip. And Kenny before that.

Chapter 19: Black Ice Battle!
    plurk | SPPF | dA | ff.net

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast