NEWS: Iris and Cilan leaving discussion. (Confirmed) - Page 2

View Poll Results: Will you miss Iris and/or Cilan?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • I will miss them both

10 31.25%
  • I will only miss Cilan

9 28.13%
  • I will only miss Iris

1 3.13%
  • I will miss them, but I like the new characters more

3 9.38%
  • I won't miss either of them

9 28.13%
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree189Likes

Thread: Iris and Cilan leaving discussion. (Confirmed)

Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

Default re: Iris and Cilan leaving discussion. (Confirmed)

Quote Originally Posted by The Fighting Misty View Post
    I don't think anyone could tolerate 6-7 years of Iris in the anime.
    I certainly couldn't, especially when I can barely deal with three years of Iris in the anime.

While I still think that Cilan could be in the group for the next series, Iris definitely isn't because of how they like to replace the female lead in every series. With Claire suddenly appearing, I could see her either leaving her Dragonite with her to train or Iris goes to train under Claire before taking the Gym Leader offer from Drayden. Cilan will probably just return to the Gym and maybe return for the next series depending on if there is a character in the early stages of the X/Y games that could fill his role or not.
    Shinneth and Caseydia like this.

Blog Entries

Follow CommanderPigg on Tumblr Visit CommanderPigg's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by fer92 View Post
    trigger
    Um yeah, trigger is right, I am very much triggered by this, thank you very much.

I can't think of Iris and Cilan leaving, I really can't, I've grown too attached to them and I think that the BW trio has become my favorite group as a whole....it's beaten out the AG group by now in my mind.

It looks like Iris is blushing and trying to keep it together even though she's obviously not comfortable with this :(
    but Dento
    Look at DENTO

he has a freaking tear drop next to him and it looks like he just got punched in face, omg, my baby. If he cries during Satoshi's leave I WILL CRY writers, this is not okay how could you do this to me???

"seasons change, people change"

Who am I? Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

I just hope that before they leave, they have their rivalries with Georgia and Burgundy resolved. It's a shame that the anime completely sidelined the whole "Evolving Axew into Haxorus" goal in favour of selling more Axew keychains though.

Personally, I would have preferred Cilan to remain in the show.

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

So Iris is officially the shortest lived female lead in the anime. That officially makes Misty more important than one female in the show.

Will Rip Titles 4 Money speedingbulletbill's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow speedingbulletbill On Twitter Add speedingbulletbill on Facebook Add speedingbulletbill on Google+ Add speedingbulletbill on MySpace
    Add speedingbulletbill on Linkedin Follow speedingbulletbill on Tumblr Follow speedingbulletbill on Flickr Visit speedingbulletbill's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Caseydia View Post
    Team Rocket didn't have to s stay but they can't make decent villians on this show so they just sticked with what they had and not make anymore badly written villians. And Ash is the main character, if he goes, you're precious other characters that you love so much would no longer exist, so be careful for what you say because Ash looks like he might get the kick due to how fast they are bringing back pokemon that haven't been shown in over 600 episodes.
    I would prefer Ash leaving, since they have no idea what to do with him anymore, but a new cast wouldn't automatically make the show better (hey Beyblade Metal Shithole what's up?). But then again, a pseudo sequel is still preferable to everyone except Ash leaving. For all the flak I give Beyblade, Yugioh, Dark Cloud 2, etc., at least they did a pseudo sequel PROPERLY.

That's why I can't support character replacements outside of pseudo sequels, because it's a sign of lazy writing (keeping the same characters and doing nothing new with them is also a sign of lazy writing).
    Zexy likes this.

Blog Entries

Follow Zexy on Tumblr Visit Zexy's Youtube Channel

So Iris is officially the shortest lived female lead in the anime. That officially makes Misty more important than one female in the show.
    Wrong! Iris was in for FOUR sagas (BW,BW2,BWN,BWDA) while Misty is only 3(Kanto,OI,Johto)...
    Also, Misty never got a pseudo (not even a Kingdra, even though she had a Horsea), Iris won a whole Club Battle while Misty only won a Princess Festival, and Iris tied with Drayden.

Nope, Misty still is such a kid...

Quote Originally Posted by stickerstaryoshi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Caseydia View Post
    Team Rocket didn't have to s stay but they can't make decent villians on this show so they just sticked with what they had and not make anymore badly written villians. And Ash is the main character, if he goes, you're precious other characters that you love so much would no longer exist, so be careful for what you say because Ash looks like he might get the kick due to how fast they are bringing back pokemon that haven't been shown in over 600 episodes.
    I would prefer Ash leaving, since they have no idea what to do with him anymore, but a new cast wouldn't automatically make the show better (hey Beyblade Metal Shithole what's up?). But then again, a pseudo sequel is still preferable to everyone except Ash leaving. For all the flak I give Beyblade, Yugioh, Dark Cloud 2, etc., at least they did a pseudo sequel PROPERLY.

That's why I can't support character replacements outside of pseudo sequels, because it's a sign of lazy writing (keeping the same characters and doing nothing new with them is also a sign of lazy writing).
    For the games' sake, they have to keep releasing villainous teams. For the animes' sake, they have to keep Ash (if they didn't want to, they should have done in BW which was a reboot). Lazy writing doesn't have to do with the characters themselves or their longevity, but development. Ash may be flawed, but releasing something new won't help Deus Ex Machina the show. Pokemon won't be able to pull such a sequel, cuz the hate wave that's going to come from the fans after 16 years of Ash anime will drop the things down.

Yep, it went out quite an essay, because ninja'ing got me double post...
    Last edited by Zexy; 23rd March 2013 at 12:28 PM.

I got a scum result on that bush! LYNCH IT LYNCH IT LYNCH IT!

Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

I don't know if that makes Misty more important. She just had a longer run in the original series.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWartortle
    Wrong! Iris was in for FOUR sagas (BW,BW2,BWN,BWDA) while Misty is only 3(Kanto,OI,Johto)...
    Also, Misty never got a pseudo (not even a Kingdra, even though she had a Horsea), Iris won a whole Club Battle while Misty only won a Princess Festival, and Iris tied with Drayden.

Considering that BW season two didn't really feel any different from the first season, at least until Episode N, and the amount of episodes for the series is still going to be less than the original series had, I don't know if that really counts for anything. All of Iris' accomplishments were also very forced and undeserved in my opinion. That doesn't really make her more important, but rather they just gave her more accomplishments to make her look stronger when she hasn't really progressed during the course of the series at least in a believable manner.

Blog Entries

If anyone expected Iris to stay, they were being very naive. I like Iris I really do, but I'm used to seeing the female get booted off so It wont sadden me as such. Cilan could stay although I think his personality is too flaboyant to remain around for as long as Brock did. Unless they make him totally stale next gen, which is also a strong possibility. I am a bit bored of Cilan really. I'd give anything to have Brock back and not just because of nostalgia. I just feel like Cilan's gimmick got old very quickly.

If Iris leaves without achieving any of her goals, I wont be surprised or disappointed. She was fun to have around while she lasted. It's just a kids show, we expect too much from it xD

Blog Entries

Follow Zexy on Tumblr Visit Zexy's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Hidden Mew View Post
    I don't know if that makes Misty more important. She just had a longer run in the original series.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWartortle

Considering that BW season two didn't really feel any different from the first season, at least until Episode N, and the amount of episodes for the series is still going to be less than the original series had, I don't know if that really counts for anything. All of Iris' accomplishments were also very forced and undeserved in my opinion. That doesn't really make her more important, but rather they just gave her more accomplishments to make her look stronger when she hasn't really progressed during the course of the series at least in a believable manner.
    Misty had a longer run because she was there for two Generations! Yet, her character development looked like the opposite of Iris... Nothing important for her in 274 episodes! Is that more believable than Iris' short yet succesful path? I think that when you talk about "beleivable", you inevitably compare Iris (non-Contest) to May/Dawn (Contest). Did May's Hoenn Contest wins seem more beleivable just because they were Contest wins and not Club Battle/Gym Battles? I don't think so, there was just a Skitty summoning Ribbons for her outta nowhere. Iris may have got a superpower Dragonite for herself, yet she faced the consequences in the Junior Cup. She had DEVELOPMENT that Misty/May should have been jealous of (okay, Dawn doesn't, to be honest). She got much more in BW2, and I don't think that it's overloaded... I just consider it better than Misty, who did nothing for 200 episodes and decided to do something at last-moment Master Quest (Whirl Cup, Politoed and beyond)

I got a scum result on that bush! LYNCH IT LYNCH IT LYNCH IT!

pokemon fan 132 pokemon fan 132's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Considering how writers aren't very keen on keeping characters chances for Iris and even Cilan stay are relatively small. And reuse of older previous companions hasn't happened ever since anime early days when Brock returned to main cast after OI hiatus.
    Most likely outcome is usual pattern "rinse and repeat"pokemon has followed since 2002. when it comes to main girl. Which consists of replacing girl 9r now male protagonist as well halfway unfinished, give them obligatory regional cameo in next generation afterwards ending abandoned never to be seen gain.

Unfortunate, but unless current formula changes with writers deciding to do different spin by investing more in already popular, established characters you can't expect any different outcome for Iris or any character.

Either way i would take Iris stay over another new female character any day being tired of constant cast cycling never having opportunity to see characters we grew to like being build upon and taken in new directions.And if Iris does stay, perhaps this could open gateway toward return of previous fan favorites at some point too with purpose of bringing breath of fresh air and new twist introducing whole new pattern by investing more in someone who prove to be successful taking him forward.
    Which increases fan loyalty and maintain interest toward anime(something other shows often do).

I swear pokemon is only show where instead of encouraging that writers invest more in established characters doing sequel of growth we rather get constant rehash of what we saw before going from scratch all over again.

And look at how the opinions on those characters went negative.
    Whether opinions are negative or not didn't happened because characters stayed for longer period of time, but because of way character in question was handled. To my knowledge almost no one complained about Brock until DP, most were fine with Ash until BW and with TR opinions are divided.

Beside there is difference between staying for 4 and one more generation. Imo Iris and Cilan have enough juice in themselves to last for one more ride.

The writers probably don't want travel companions lasting more than one gen anymore anyway. Which really makes Brock lasting as long as he did look quite bizarre in retrospect. At least with Ash and TR you could understand it.
    Its not so much bizarre when taken in account how originally writers intended to keep original trio as established permanent cast in show. Reason behind Brock stray was probably for continuity purposes, to give viewers another familiar face to which they could relate beside Ash and to mitigate impact split of original cast caused making easier for fans to adjust to change of formula and cast changes.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWartortle View Post
    Misty had a longer run because she was there for two Generations! Yet, her character development looked like the opposite of Iris... Nothing important for her in 274 episodes! Is that more believable than Iris' short yet succesful path? I think that when you talk about "beleivable", you inevitably compare Iris (non-Contest) to May/Dawn (Contest). Did May's Hoenn Contest wins seem more beleivable just because they were Contest wins and not Club Battle/Gym Battles? I don't think so, there was just a Skitty summoning Ribbons for her outta nowhere. Iris may have got a superpower Dragonite for herself, yet she faced the consequences in the Junior Cup. She had DEVELOPMENT that Misty/May should have been jealous of (okay, Dawn doesn't, to be honest). She got much more in BW2, and I don't think that it's overloaded... I just consider it better than Misty, who did nothing for 200 episodes and decided to do something at last-moment Master Quest (Whirl Cup, Politoed and beyond)
    I pretty much disagree. To say how Misty did nothing for 200 episodes would be huge understatement to say. She played important role in being Ash coach and motivator pushing him to go forward, preparing strategies, forcing him to train and giving moral support(along with Brock more than other girls did) . Brought humor, tension and lot of flare in group interactions, often played role of heroine by saving people lives, helping others to believe in themselves, played role of detective, prevented wild pokemon from disrupting town (like giant Tentacruel, finding way out of sunk Ship, cured Ash and TRacey from poison spore, prevented TR giant Arbok tank from rampaging around)etc, etc.

Had complex of inferiority forced on her by sisters , goal of becoming water pokemon master, various aspirations uch as meting and catching legendary water type getting significant character growth improving largely as trainer which can be evidenced in wining Seaking contest, coming top 8 in Whirl Cup, won Alto mare race and battled several trainers proving her worth. Became more mature and confident in her abilities earning sisters respect along with learning to be more tolerant toward pokemon and how to understand them better. Such as close bond she established with Marill, Poliwhirl or Staryu etc.

While she wasn't fleshed out as much as she could've been and some things were treated rather poorly,
    Misty definitely played important role in this show not being in any way inferior compared to others.
    Azumarill39 and Metallicax3 like this.

Blog Entries

Whatever the case, Iris is officially going to be in the least amount of episodes of all the female characters. She only had a 3 year run in the show. I guess the debates of who the least important female lead has finally been settled.

It's Iris, whether you like the character or not she will be remembered as the shortest lived lead of the series in terms of females.
    Azumarill39 likes this.

Blog Entries

Follow CommanderPigg on Tumblr Visit CommanderPigg's Youtube Channel

How Iris and Cilan are going to say goodbye:

Iris: "Hah, are you going to miss me? You're such a kid! *looks away, hides crying face*"

Cilan
    : "Can I taste you...one more time? *kisses*"
    Last edited by CommanderPigg; 23rd March 2013 at 01:10 PM. Reason: iM SORRY I HAD TO POST IT HERE TOO
    djulienr, Chiss and Azumarill39 like this.

"seasons change, people change"

It's about to get Frosty! xXFrostXx's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Visit xXFrostXx's Youtube Channel

The link to the source of this speculation in the first post doesn't work, but I'll assume it was supposed to link to that pic that was posted.

All I have to say is:

I don't care too much about Iris. ...but Cilan! I can't stand seeing the poor baby all upset like that... TT^TT I swear to God when I watch this scene in the anime, I will be hugging my Banpresto Cilan figure and crying. Writers, y u do this to me and all the other Cilan fangirls! I only pray they do like the did with Brock and have Cilan come back in the XY anime.

Blog Entries

I guess Cilan being the new Brock was also wrongly assumed
    Yankees4life and Chiss like this.

Blog Entries

Whatever the case, Iris is officially going to be in the least amount of episodes of all the female characters. She only had a 3 year run in the show. I guess the debates of who the least important female lead has finally been settled.

It's Iris, whether you like the character or not she will be remembered as the shortest lived lead of the series in terms of females.
    OK. Now please don't make this a thing like with what you did regarding the Misty/Brock flashbacks. We get it.

While I always knew (or rather expected, since I really didn't know for a fact and it's not yet entirely confirmed) that Iris would leave after BW's end, I still feel rather sad about it. And what's worse is that now it seems like both Dento and Iris will leave. Though I'm not sure if that is bad when I think about it... I really can't imagine Iris moving on to the next series without Dento and vice versa, so maybe having Dento leave the show too is a good thing...
    omg what am i saying im sorry Dento ;___;
    Bubble Frog likes this.
    ''A single thread in a tapestry though its color brightly shine, can never see its purpose, in the pattern of the grand design.''

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast