If Pokemon was directed towards an older audience, what do you think it'd be like? - Page 4

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: If Pokemon was directed towards an older audience, what do you think it'd be like?

Blog Entries

Default Re: If Pokemon was directed towards an older audience, what do you think it'd be like

There would be lots and lots of cursing. We would probably also get to see exposed boobs, and they would be a LOT bigger. (Just imagine if they showed Lorelei's...fanboys would drool.) At least that could benefit Misty.
    Last edited by zakisrage; 18th August 2013 at 08:35 PM.
    Enigma pop star is fun
    She wear burqa for fashion
    - Lady Gaga

Red
    Blog Entries
    Follow Red On Twitter Add Red on Facebook Add Red on Google+
    Visit Red's Youtube Channel

Default Re: If Pokemon was directed towards an older audience, what do you think it'd be like

An older audience doesn't effect the state of a show. Shows like Young Justice and Spectacular Spider-Man cater to the same demographic as Pokémon yet handle continuity and character arcs far better. The problem is with the crew, teams of people who cannot grasp that children are wiser, more creative, and far more engaged in established, novel plots.

Blood, guns and breasts does not denote a superior series, it does not prove how dark something is. All of these terms and reasons are ridiculous, from ignorant adults who have failed to cope with their innocence and love for the cartoon. Excuses is what these are. What children need are shows that challenge them, like Young Justice, Spectacular Spider-Man, Gargoyles, shows that challenge and carefully plot itself to present a real arc, with real time passage. People change and age, characters goals and desires alter. It is authentic.

I want a show that is authentic, a show I can watch with my daughter and we have something to dissect afterward. I do not want a show that is pretentious, dark, violent and absurd just to placate older fans who are shamed they're still wearing diapers. Get over it.
    Y: COMING SOON
    BLACK: 4213-4161-1545
    SOULSILVER: 3741-1763-4063

-You're really irritating.
    -Does irritating mean 'fun'?

Blog Entries

Ash would be older.
    Ash would bang his aged up hot travel companions
    Blood in battles.
    Dismemberment
    Death
    Action scenes
    More battles, less friendship
    Unevolved pokemon will have reduced plot armor or legit story reasons for super strength
    Weapons
    Evil team that is evil
    Money is an issue.
    Crime exists
    Rapists and Pokephiles exist
    Wild pokemon are hostile and will attack people.

Quote Originally Posted by Talonflame View Post
    Ash would be older.
    Ash would bang his aged up hot travel companions
    Blood in battles.
    Dismemberment
    Death
    Action scenes
    More battles, less friendship
    Unevolved pokemon will have reduced plot armor or legit story reasons for super strength
    Weapons
    Evil team that is evil
    Money is an issue.
    Crime exists
    Rapists and Pokephiles exist
    Wild pokemon are hostile and will attack people.
    some of these exist, perhaps to a lesser degree but they still exist.
    Once I find something interesting. I'll put it here.

Ash would age
    Writers couldn't get away with bad writings the way they get away now
    Police would be taken more seriously probably, Instead of having a jenny for each town doing nothing except comic relief
    trio wouldn't have Unlimited money
    Battles would be more serious, And trainers would most definitely call their pokemon out before they 'die' instead of just fainting
    Adult humor, Like those we had in kanto
    Villains would probably rely more on real guns instead of just pokemon
    Less marketing crap on the show

Blog Entries
    Follow FinalSynFrey On Twitter
    Visit FinalSynFrey's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Kb77 View Post
    Ash would age
    Writers couldn't get away with bad writings the way they get away now
    Police would be taken more seriously probably, Instead of having a jenny for each town doing nothing except comic relief
    trio wouldn't have Unlimited money
    Battles would be more serious, And trainers would most definitely call their pokemon out before they 'die' instead of just fainting
    Adult humor, Like those we had in kanto
    Villains would probably rely more on real guns instead of just pokemon
    Less marketing crap on the show
    1 | I don't even know why they still kept him at the Age of 10. If Pokemon was directed towards 13+ then this wouldn't be a problem at all.
    2 | Agreed. I even bet that they have a lot of Good Ideas for Pokemon, but at the same time, they don't want to make It too "mature" for Children. Some people may disagree, but meh.
    3 | I think this is what caused most of the problems of the Story in the Anime. Most of the stuff shown in the Anime is for MARKETING purposes for the games. I don't mind that you Market stuff, but please keep the Games and Anime separated. I mean, both Media aren't connected in terms of Story, so why bother?

Quote Originally Posted by zakisrage View Post
    There would be lots and lots of cursing. We would probably also get to see exposed boobs, and they would be a LOT bigger. (Just imagine if they showed Lorelei's...fanboys would drool.) At least that could benefit Misty.
    I disagree. Not even Naruto had that much cussing in it and it was more directed for teens and preteens as well. As far as the girls's bodies, they already have mature looking ten year old girls in the show I doubt they would need to make nay of the girls more sexier for any reason.
    PockyAddict likes this.

Follow クリスタル On Twitter

There are many possibilities about this topic. But firstly let me rephrase one thing about the word "mature" in this context.

Actually, this word "mature", specifically in anime context, can mean a lot of thing. The basic meaning is merely push up the age of target audience. But however, UNTIL WHAT LEVEL SHOULD IT PUSH UP is the most important question.
    Currently Pokemon anime is a preteen show where its main target audience are early primary school children and pre-school children (Japanese anime categorize its target audience not by a definite age, but by an ambiguous education level). If push up this target audience by just a 1~2 year, that is actually already a complete different set of target audience known as teenager, where this group can be divided further into pre-high school children in the late primary school years, and high-schoolers.

Supposed Pokemon didn't push up the age group of its target audience, but merely changing the content to a better written one, that doesn't consider as being "maturer". But however, even so it still has potential to be better than the current anime. I'd watched some of such "childish" show, but with finely written scenario, such as Doraemon (specifically the movies and OVA), Bomberman Jetters, Rockman EXE, Ryusei no Rockman, where most of them are less known anime in Western countries; the last two are also arguably be teenage anime rather. These anime, even Doraemon that is non-arguably children show, its movies and OVAs consist of battles where characters understand the concept of injury and death (Death is not just mentioned, but shown as well right in front of the characters). Although the battles had not a single drop of blood being shown, but still battle actions and reactions are characteristically reasonable, characters think before they act, they show basic human emotions such as the fear of being hurt and death, the joy when the Big Bad is defeated and punished, the painfulness of seeing others injured, the sadness when a friend gone forever, etc.
    These anime has almost the same target audience age as like Pokemon, but plot scenario are definitely much better written, not just characteristically realistic, but actions are smooth in terms of story plot. The causes and effects of each actions and decisions made by the characters are plausibly related to the final outcome at the end of the episode, some are even related to future episodes.
    One more thing is that protagonists in those anime were undoubtly the true focus of the show. The story centered around them, and story are tell from their viewpoint. Of course there are several episodes where protagonist is not shown, but still story will be tell from the main character of that episode. Pokemon, on the other hand, Ash is the protagonist of the show, but it just feel like he is not the true focus of the show. The sub-characters in each episodes has more screen time than he is, and story were rather told from the view of such sub-characters. Ash was supposed to be the protagonist of the show, but in most episodes he is just downgraded to become the sub-character of that episode. This is just unhealthy in terms of story writing.

Now, supposed Pokemon to become "maturer", which means to push up the ages of the target audience. Very obviously, story need to do a complete revision sine the start of Kanto OS. If keeping the exact same badge quest story with the happy-go-lucky atmosphere, it will never be "maturer", because the current story itself is not mature right from the beginning.
    Well, they may have continue the basic concept of badge quest story, but then the anime must shown Ash had achieve something glorious which makes him prideful and be look up by many other trainers. After all, it was stated right at the very first episodes that Ash travels because he wanted to become a Pokemon Master. The anime should then tell us the story about how this boy achieve his dream of becoming a Pokemon Master. Show to us what is a Pokemon Master, and tell us (and to Ash too) how to become one. Moreover, don't let his skill being reset, don't unage him, or else he will never achieve anything. Probably evolving all his Pokemon to the final stage would be better, because that makes him look like a stronger trainer, where it shows that he did manage to "level up".
    Also, less of the slapstick actions and nonsense gossip, more of the serious talk about Pokemon and events and incidents, and show us seriousness and criticality during such event.
    Other than story scenario itself, in order for the anime to be more acceptable by the teenagers, then the anime should had work more on battle strategies and tactics, and also graphic quality as well. Show to us that the trainers deeply thought about how to battle, and how to transfer the command such that the Pokemon can execute the action just like as demand by the trainer. Battle effects also need to do a "scale-up", with lesser unnecessary explosions (please, flamethrower don't causes explosion unless you hit the explosive items) and more of other kind of special effects. Not necessarily become bloodier, but action scene should become more magnificent and impressive, where speediness and powerfulness in the movement can truly be seen.
    Also they said that Pokemon instinctively loves to battle, then SHOW TO US that they loves to battle by holding a prideful and serious expression during the battle. Don't give a carefree smile and indifference attitude towards battle, where I say that not only to the Pokemon, but also to the trainers as well. Please, SHOW! DON'T TELL!!!

If Pokemon anime does target at target audience of higher age group, it might become anime like Naruto or One Piece (unfornately not Dragonball in my personally opinion, because that is just too bloody). It also has a chance to become Gundam series or Digimon series, depending on does the Pokemon anime continue over a very long period, or became an anime series where one saga is at most 52-episodes over one year, but continue to air a new saga with different protagonist and different story for every 1~2 years. (Personally, I prefer the latter case)
    "人には知らない世界はそこに存在する、そして人には知らない冒険はそこ に始まってる"
    Chapter 1: 謎の世界の生き物、闘うトレーナーたち
    MY PROFILE | AUTHOR'S PROFILE | PIXIV PROFILE

I have to agree with Kurisutaru. If Pokemon would be targeted at an older audience, some of the basic concepts for the show have to change. Non-aging of a character in a show aimed for e.g. teens is not acceptable, especially if a show runs for a long time. I'm basing this on manga series like Bleach and Naruto that are aimed at teens, as Pokemon is more orientated in the direction of Shounen in contrast to Shoujo. In both cases there is a time skip of several years further down the line, or more specifically after the first main climax. And especially in Bleach you can see character development even before the time skip. Yes, the characters stay the same, but they still mature as they become more experienced.

If Pokemon would be aimed at an older audience, a clear maturing process has to take place. And characters have to age. However, as Pokemon is different from Bleach and Naruto in terms of concept, these developments might have to be handled differently. A time skip of several years might perhaps not be possible if they want to keep the same main characters. That means other possibilities have to be taken in account, like evolving Pokemon to their final stage and letting Ash achieve his goal. Or at least take big steps in the right direction. It might also be possible to change the main chast while older cast members return in a lesser role. The first two Digimon series come to mind.

Another thing that has to be kept in mind is that it might be better if the Pokemon series are cut shorter. As one Pokemon series is covering one generation of games, it is not necessary to do so many fillers. Or if you do fillers it would be nice to make their basic scheme less repetitive as it is the case for the basic structure of each and every canon episodes. Things like the battle with Team Galactic or confrontations with poachers, hunters and other people who plan to use pokemon to further their own (negative) goals should occur more often. And be settled in a darker atmosphere. Some characters, both pokemon and human, might even die on screen. Even allies. Yes, in the anime as we know it this has happened sometimes, especially in the movies. However, these death scenes were made for children. Yes, someone died, yes it was emotional, sometimes tragic, but still, it was aimed at children. Someone dying because of being severely hurt (with blood), be it via a weapon or a pokemon attack did not happen so far I think. At least not on screen. You can correct me if I'm wrong. However, in an anime aimed at teens, the people who die are usually hurt. And they bleed.

All in all, I think that a more mature pokemon anime needs deeper plots, more character development and realism. Realism as in if you're hurt, you're bleeding for example. Addressing more complex questions like the feelings of pokemon about battling each other for example would also be possible. Romance is an option, but not necessary. It would be enough if romance is implied, as in crushes. That would be enough. But even that is not necessary. More complex tactics, deeper plots etc. might already be enough.
    Last edited by DarkMoonsDream; 24th August 2013 at 09:02 AM.

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

We need some major concept clarifying.

Mature DOES NOT equal swearing, bloody scenes, romance, sexual depictions, and/or violence. Mature stuff just happens to have those since they're allowed to, BUT IT IS NOT A MUST

We can have a mature pokemon show just fine WITHOUT any blood, romance, sex, and swearing. Just think about the N arc in the Black and White games. It offered us a rich story plot with plenty of concepts to think about - it appealed well to the older audience just as much as they did to the young kids. Was it mature in terms of writing? Yes. Did it have blood/violence/swearing/sex/whatever-you-think-is-mature? NO.

The Pokemon Show CAN be mature with good writing, an enriching, firm, storybase, and well-depicted characters. It just frustrates me that there are people who still think mature stuff must have blood and gore and sex.

Anything with blood/violence/sex will be mature, but mature stuff does not have to include those to be called 'mature'.

Eternal ComakariShipper dracoflare's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow dracoflare on Tumblr

Pokemon doesn't need to have blood, gore, violence etc. I think OS level maturity is more than enough. OS wasn't too childish and had some mature themes. The first movie comes to mind. I think that will how the anime will be if it were aimed at older audience........with good battles of course. And I agree with the person who said the story line would follow the BW game's. I am honestly fond of N as an antagonist rather than a co-protagonist.
    Ever read an Ikari+Pearlshipping fic set in an AU?

Other Fanfiction
    Road to be a Pokemon Master <---Slightly Popular Tournament Fic featuring Ash.
    Beyond Truths and Ideals<--Featuring a clash between Ash, N, Team Rocket,Team Plasma and much more.
    50 Shippings to Boot With<--Mega Project to write 50 One-shots for 50 different Shippings.

Blog Entries

They would actually play the games or at least have a players guide open when writing. Evolved Pokemon with decent defenses getting one shoted with not very effective attacks wouldn't fucking fly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkara
    Gary reveals that he already has six pokemon. And judging by the pokemon around that area I'm guessing he has a rat a bird two bugs AND anouther bird

Blog Entries

Continuity would be better, characters would age, there might be some shipping.

In addition, I think they may handle more serious themes like incarceration of a family member, drug abuse, death, etc.
    What are the Legendaries really like? Find out in The Life of the Legendaries

Humans and pokémon no longer live in harmony. Hear their tales in The Poké Wars Chronicles: Tales From A World At War

Cynthia once had it all: powerful pokémon, fame and hordes of adoring fans. But Ho-oh's campaign tears her life asunder. Now to survive this deadly new world, she must do the one thing that she never wanted: kill. Follow her trials through a world at war in Poké Wars: Downfall of a Champion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Drakon View Post
    incarceration of a family member, drug abuse
    What do either of these even have to do with Pokemon? ._.
    Bubble Frog likes this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by YamiiDenryuu View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakon View Post
    incarceration of a family member, drug abuse
    What do either of these even have to do with Pokemon? ._.
    It is possible. And if the Pokémon franchise was aimed towards an older audience, I'd assume they'd show the less savory aspect of life.
    What are the Legendaries really like? Find out in The Life of the Legendaries

Humans and pokémon no longer live in harmony. Hear their tales in The Poké Wars Chronicles: Tales From A World At War

Cynthia once had it all: powerful pokémon, fame and hordes of adoring fans. But Ho-oh's campaign tears her life asunder. Now to survive this deadly new world, she must do the one thing that she never wanted: kill. Follow her trials through a world at war in Poké Wars: Downfall of a Champion

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast