If Pokemon was directed towards an older audience, what do you think it'd be like? - Page 2

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: If Pokemon was directed towards an older audience, what do you think it'd be like?

Blog Entries

Default Re: If Pokemon was directed towards an older audience, what do you think it'd be like

A lack of "let's drop what we are doing to deal with dumb cotd dumb problems" which I think they should even if they are going for a young audience kids are impatient you know and less explaining
    GibleKidd likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkara
    Gary reveals that he already has six pokemon. And judging by the pokemon around that area I'm guessing he has a rat a bird two bugs AND anouther bird

Default Re: If Pokemon was directed towards an older audience, what do you think it'd be like

There would be ups and downs, I guess. On one hand, you would gain a large audience (especially older fans who stopped watching JUST because the show got repetitive at one point). I don't know about Japan, but I know plenty of kids around the ages of 8-12 in the U.S would still be willing to watch a more "mature" version of Pokemon. Mind you im assuming there is no blood, cursing, or sexual references, or anything like that. Just dialed up a few notches. More focus on the human character's lives'/development, more intense battles (although DP stepped it up decently), deeper struggles/plot-lines for the human and Pokemon characters, etc.

On the other hand the show would probably loose a lot of what makes it great. The happy-go-lucky characters, focus on the Pokemon themselves, things of that nature.
    Poliwhirl42 and Neowsu like this.

The Sworn Brothers Adyniz's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Adyniz On Twitter

For one thing, it would be on Adult Swim.

Onduru ruragittan disukaa Garren's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I doubt we'd get a Pokemon that's Adult Swim levels, it'd probably be Adventure Time/Regular Show level.

Than again, Adult Swim Toonami block now airs Symbiotic Titan and the Thundercats remake which are basically kid shows.

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

There are plenty of ways to make it mature without turning it into a mess. Why are people assuming we NEED blood and gore and sexual stuff as a must to make it a mature show? By 'mature', it just means more intelligence and more tactful thinking and good character development instead of the stupidity and the repetitive plots. It doesn't have to include NC-17 stuff cuz that'll completely ruin the show.

Even Rocky had a Montage AlphaMouse's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It's true, maturity isn't just in the blood and romance, but in the complicated plots. I guess things like Team Rocket vs Team Plasma would be more complicated, and they wouldn't go off chasing random lost Pokémon. However, I do think a few other issues might be addressed:

1. There would actually be Romance. Of course, it could only be kissing at most, but it would bring some reality into the shows.

2. Characters would leave more often. Every series you'd hopefully have one character leave the cast, and maybe every three you'd have the main character changing.

3. Battles would be slightly tougher, more DP style where you just had Drapion squeezing Buizel for the hell of it.

4. Characters would actually complete their goals, rather than getting to Top 4 in a Conference and never appearing to retry it.

5. Villanous teams wouldn't be half as helpless if their Pokémon got defeated.

6. Rivals would be more balanced in terms of character and strength. Every so often Ash would beat Trip. I once had a training partner with running who generally beat me. After he hadn't trained for a while I managed to finally beat him in a race, but he didn't drop out. He came back and beat me in the next one. That's how rivals should work, not just saying that their rivalry's concluded once they've been beaten once.

7. Gym leaders would be incredibly tough. They wouldn't be able to be beaten by 100 prepubescent children.

8. Merchandising would be less important and the main characters could have some awesome teams. Imagine how badly Gigalith, Samurott, Emboar, Unfeazant, Serperior and Pikachu would have trashed Cameron's team.

Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

Personally, I think that the series needs better writing rather than simply appealing to an older audience. Better writing would allow them to keep the same main target audience, while appealing more to older fans at the same time.

If they did go this route, I think that the characters would have more depth and complexity to their personalities. There would be more personal conflicts with their goals, such as feeling homesick or questioning if being a trainer is the path they want to take in life, and they would have backstories to further expand on their personalities, as well as maybe tie into their goals. Seeing if every Pokemon likes to be battled or if they want to be captured, even if it means they'll basically never get to see their families and friends again, would be good too. There probably would be romance between the characters. I wouldn't have so much of a problem with that if the relationship added to the characters' growth, as those are the kind of pairings that I really like, instead of just throwing in romantic tension for the shake of it.

OSHAWHAT?

As I've said before, there could be the scenario of Ash having a crush on a girl and having that get in the way of his Pokemon training, as part of the plot. Something where he cares more about his crush feelings for the girl than his Pokemon (maybe he could try and show off his Pokemon, or battle in a certain way, to impress her), and how he'd have to either balance the two or focus on his Pokemon.

They could do that even without aiming at an older audience, but they'd have to change Ash's personality when in comes to liking girls.

As for what I think an older audience anime would be like... I'd say yeah, it'd be like that animated B2/W2 trailer (which I thought looked cool from an art perspective and an animation perspective, but was not as edgy as so many people claimed it to be, whether they liked it or disliked it) in terms of intensity. It really depends on how much older the target audience is though.
    Seasons =/= Regions

Blog Entries

They would get rid of the "play" scenes
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkara
    Gary reveals that he already has six pokemon. And judging by the pokemon around that area I'm guessing he has a rat a bird two bugs AND anouther bird

More innuendo / double entendre similar to what we have seen abit in the past (looking at you flaming moltress James :P)
    More mature themes and motivation. By this i mean not just the generic stealing pokemon to 'rule' the world kind of thing but plots motivated by emotions like anger / revenge or jealousy.
    It could have a touch more in the way of romance but im one of those people that believes that romance =/= mature. Theres been countless kids movies that involved romance between the characters. But only if it made sense and introduced over a long period of time.
    Violence against human characters (blood would be out of place) : Someone getting mad and punching someone , evil or enraged pokemon hurting a trainer etc.

Blog Entries

Some Viewers would not get mad If there was not Too Much Violence Maybe.

Blog Entries

It's be a deeper plot with more danger and more grown up themes. Characters would face mortal danger and the overall complexity of the plot would be more apparent.

Blog Entries

It's hard to tell how the anime would be written in this context and the same people were involved. Maybe they can normally write better, it's just that they're repressed by the merchandising people. I look at stuff like Dawn's arc in DP, Team Galactic, Paul, and even the tone of the TR stuff in BW and Team Plasma. They are capable of it, but for some reason, it's not being encouraged too much. If we had this tone all the time, the immediate thing I can think of is there would be less filler, as there is little room for that to happen in such a tone. The protagonists would have no choice but to have strong pokemon, or at least for the pokemon they have to become strong and evolve. They would have to make the battles more believable, since well, you've seen you can't get away with the BS forced outcomes that they do with us. I'm unsure if deeper relationships would be involved, but it could happen. I would only accept it if the relationship had meaning, that their friendship developed into something stronger. (I'm offering no opinions on who would get with who) It's hard to say whether or not the crew would remain consistent. If I were to apply this to all generations, I would think that such a plot would be too limited for a single crew to remain as the protagonists for more than one season. Their development would all happen within their saga and reach their eventual climax near the end, and then they live happily ever after and all that nice junk. What would this plot be you might ask? I am hesitant to say. Obviously, if representing the games is still in play, you have to do that, but if you want my honest opinion, it's hard to take the badge quest seriously. It's the selfish quest of someone that even if they do reach the top, what then? You wait for a trainer stronger than you to take you down? Or do you grow old until your skills are no longer able to compete? Then again, I'm not a big sports person, and I imagine it being similar to a sports anime. The most interesting things to serve as antagonists are rivals and the villain teams. BW did a good job of sort of melding the badge quest and villain plot together, but could something like that be done for all of them? Maybe some emphasis would be put on the life of the trainer not being for everyone, and there are alternatives. Most of all, I think it would be good to see more personality from the pokemon themselves. They would go through their own development arcs as they get stronger and evolve. If they do evolve, if they don't, it could still be plausible they overcome a personal flaw. Also, I'm sorry, but I cannot justify not wanting to evolve in this context, although I do still believe that pokemon should not be forced to evolve. I just think it's silly to limit oneself, and as grand as making do with what you have is, sooner or later, that will no longer be adequate. Or perhaps evolution can happen as a sign that it no longer matters to them, they're okay with what they are, regardless of if they evolve or not. Yes, we can have poke romance, too. Just don't try to clog the place up with too many such subplots at once. If it were up to me, though, I would forgo trying to adapt the games altogether and go off on my own tangent, as Digimon did.
    Step into the Fairy circle

Blog Entries

Basically, the writers just need to work on some of the "WHY" questions. Why are certain people's lives the way they are, and why do they do the things they do?

There are already some [rare] moments of establishing actual stories that make you sympathize with the Team Rocket trio and Paul to a lesser extent, but why do we not get these things for Delia, Max, or any other characters that clearly have potential?

THAT is how you make a more mature show.

is back for 2014 S.S. Shadow Minun's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow S.S. Shadow Minun On Twitter Add S.S. Shadow Minun on Facebook
    Visit S.S. Shadow Minun's Youtube Channel

If Pokémon anime series becomes toward mature viewers, it'll contain violence scenes but gore is less likely. (Sorry Gorebyss for "gore") The story will be much deeper than original. Previous Pokémon anime episode has few violence scenes (that becomes controversial), such as Carvanha hitting on Ash's back head.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast