If none of the main characters had been ditched and we had 8,9 people alongside Ash?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: If none of the main characters had been ditched and we had 8,9 people alongside Ash?

Lis
    Blog Entries

Default If none of the main characters had been ditched and we had 8,9 people alongside Ash?

What i mean is, how would the anime be if none of the previous main characters had been ditched (such as Misty, Brock, May, Max, Dawn and Tracey) but started to join, and join the new members season after season?
    If now, our little darling group of young trainers (and breeders, and contestants) that travelled togheter consisted in 9 people (including Cilan and Iris of course)?
    Would the Team Rocket have decided to match their number and requested for more units? Interactions? Would the seasons be longer?

Bow before me, bitches! SammyW27's Avatar
    Add SammyW27 on Facebook
    Visit SammyW27's Youtube Channel

Default Re: If none of the main characters had been ditched and we had 8,9 people alongside A

Then the Show would've REALLY been an overcrowded mess
    Yato likes this.

Default Re: If none of the main characters had been ditched and we had 8,9 people alongside A

Then this show would quickly deteriorate into an overcrowded mess of conflicting characters.

Lis
    Blog Entries

Come on guys, you are looking at it the wrong way. Of course that if they trhew a bunch of people in 80 chapters to develope a whole city it would be messy. Animes like Fiary Tail, Digimon, etc have crowded groups, with organization and more episodes i think it could be very interesting. Any more thoughts?
    Last edited by Lis; 14th October 2013 at 08:35 PM.

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Lis View Post
    Come on guys, you are looking at it the wrong way. Of course that if they trhew a bunch of people in 80 chapters to develope a whole city it would be messy. Animes like Fiary Tail, Digimon, etc have crowded groups, with organization and more episodes i think it could be very interesting. Any more thoughts?
    Dividing the spotlight is very difficult if there's too much characters. Digimon Frontier had six kids, yet they put way too much focus on Takuya and Kouji that the rest were pretty much neglected

Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

I don't think that it would have worked out. A main cast consisting of so many characters would have made it really difficult for them to get a good balance of screentime. Some shows can provide spotlight for a large main and supporting cast. From what I've seen of One Piece and Fairy Tail, they do a pretty good job with it. I don't think that it would have worked with Pokemon because eight or nine people traveling together would just be overcrowded and make it that much more difficult for any of them, aside from Ash, to get good screentime.

pokemon fan 132 pokemon fan 132's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Solid idea which could have had potential, but it depends on how big number of traveling companions would be to allow for such feast.
    In Digimon its common practice to have 5 to 6 characters in one cast while being on adventure making part of some greater mission, same applies to One Piece which pushed batton even higher reaching total number of 9. And things are functioning perfectly fine, especially in later case with each character feeling integral and irreplaceable member of cast playing valuable role in series while growing himself forward and confronting higher challenges with gradual development being consistent following amunt of growth and experience reached in past. So in theory pokemon could have same success with such formula.

Granted other shows have better writing but how well story is going to be written depends mainly on how much writers care about quality and amount of effort they're willing to put into making each character memorable and have balanced distribution of focus among cast so that everyone could gain something out of it.
    Which pokemon writers could accomplish if they had more passion and interest in treating anime as more than simple marketing ploy focused on adventure, friendship and on going story which builds on itself over course of sagas keeping ties with history and previous events which left mark on it.

I imagine writers wold in such case aside from goals Ash and traveling companions pursue have each of their stories tie into bigger plots which form entity of on going based tale they follow together through which their lifes overlap pushing things forward and progressing themselves through it. Creating environment so that both newer characters like Cilan, Iris or Dawn but older ones too like Misty, Brock, May could remain fresh, fun and likable to follow not becoming boring because of new thrilling things being added with their plots, interests and dreams not stagnating but receiving continuation.

Comprised of build up on story and personality of companions we grew to like already going through deeper growth, have us learn more about him and past , explore on different dynamics made between older and new friends, watch them advance career receiving sequel. Explore new places, pokemon and cultures strengthening friendship and solidifying their bond being treated like isseparable group of friends which depends on each other, support themselves and make them feel relevant and significant to anime with their impact on show meaning something in longer run.

Perhaps something along the lines of involving legendary pokemon or villains threatening to change world and destroy it affecting not just Ash but everyone else lives. Or region including pokemon or competition from which all could benefit and advance dreams while influencing story thx to their presence.etc.

Similar how One Piece found way to incorporate everyone in one bigger story while each of crew members dreams is interchangeable allowing that they come closer toward their dreams thanks to it.
    Unlike its case now constantly replacing characters like live stock(one trick pony) never staying long enough to explore their full potential and continuation of established story ending replaced with unfinished goals, motivations and stories never to be seen again. Taking away from series continuity, storyline and reputation.But thats something for another topic to talk about.
    Last edited by pokemon fan 132; 15th October 2013 at 11:48 AM.

Bonded Forever Misty Calls Masquerain's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That would actually not be that bad of an idea. That way, none of the characters have to leave for any reason, and everyone's happy!

Lis
    Blog Entries

Hahahaha, what a sumirise! Well Misty Calls Masuqrian, we are 2 now.

Follow PockyAddict On Twitter Add PockyAddict on Facebook
    Follow PockyAddict on Tumblr Visit PockyAddict's Youtube Channel

Too Cluttered, 12 (Ash, Brock, Misty, Tracey, May, Max, Dawn, Cilan, Iris, Serena, Clemont and Bonnie) people traveling together will be a mess, sorry. Since the anime is bad at balancing characters.

Steak have a pillory. pokefan548's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Visit pokefan548's Youtube Channel

Let's just say, with that many people, I'm sure even the scriptwriters would be acting like shippers at some point.
    Also:

CLICK ME!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzivx V View Post
    (pokefan548 is) The Magical Point-Giver of Littleroot Town.

It'd be crazy, all the male sidekick characters would be sitting back doing nothing the entire timeXD
    I don't know how they'd handle all the girls, normally they like to give one girl major attention so if that's not a main female girl of that series than you'll be forced to be in that persons shadow.

Look at what they do to the girls who get cameos :/

Maybe have two girls I' be fine with, one from previous cast and the new girl from the new series, course one would overlaps the other but better than what would happen with, I've lost count how many girls we'd have apart of the cast.
    Ash fan. Multi Ash shipper =]

Follow PockyAddict On Twitter Add PockyAddict on Facebook
    Follow PockyAddict on Tumblr Visit PockyAddict's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Ashfangirl22 View Post
    It'd be crazy, all the male sidekick characters would be sitting back doing nothing the entire timeXD
    I don't know how they'd handle all the girls, normally they like to give one girl major attention so if that's not a main female girl of that series than you'll be forced to be in that persons shadow.

Look at what they do to the girls who get cameos :/

Maybe have two girls I' be fine with, one from previous cast and the new girl from the new series, course one would overlaps the other but better than what would happen with, I've lost count how many girls we'd have apart of the cast.
    6 girls all together have been in the main cast.

Blog Entries
    Follow Chime Nume On Twitter Add Chime Nume on Facebook Add Chime Nume on Google+
    Follow Chime Nume on Tumblr Visit Chime Nume's Youtube Channel

That would be really overcrowded and annoying since... 9 people is just too much. I don't want to see that many people on screen at once. Three at a time is plenty... 4 at a time is even too much for me. But 9 at a time? Lmao... Also, I'm pretty sure Team Rocket would request more units to counter 9 trainers at once, I mean, really. It's a little too unrealistic for the Pokemon anime though, glad it didn't happen.

Ever Grande City. The most amazing forum on the internet! Come on down and join EGC today!
    Banner made by me.

Follow MikaelDerp On Twitter

The show would become a harem... An 800 episode long harem...
    pokefan548, Chime Nume and Kutomba like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast