How will Pokemon X & Y impact the Anime? - UPDATE: Begins October! - Page 12
Page 12 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: How will Pokemon X & Y impact the Anime? - UPDATE: Begins October!

Blog Entries

Follow Kyriaki on Tumblr

Default re: How will Pokemon X & Y impact the Anime? - UPDATE: Begins October!

Quote Originally Posted by Five-Gate Omega View Post
    Like one User mentioned, if Ash were to travel alone, they could make it so that every episode he is interacting with a human character, COTD whatever and every 7-15 episodes he could briefly be joined by a recurring character or otherwise temporary traveling companion that would travel with him like 8-12 episodes or something. Not sure if writers can pull this off let alone pull it off correctly though.
    This. If Ash being alone would be boring, then they can have in-game NPCs travel with Ash temporarily every few episodes..

Quote Originally Posted by Hidden Mew View Post
    I'm hoping that they won't and be replaced with Contests or whatever the female trainer does in the next series. Having smaller tournaments for the characters to participate in once in a while wasn't a bad idea and the second one was actually pretty decent all things considered, but the concept was executed pretty poorly. The one-on-one format got extremely boring after awhile, most of the battles were bad and each tournament felt pretty rushed. If they do keep the Don Battle Tournaments for the next series, then I hope that they won't have them as often as they did here since I think having three smaller tournaments in the first hundred episodes was a bit too much and might have contributed to the overall poor quality of these tournaments. Even though the Junior Cup wasn't a Don Battle tournament like the first two, it was pretty much treated as such in the format, the amount of episodes it got and the rushed battles with the only differences being its name and having a bigger prize for winning it.

Each tournament having a different formula would have helped too since all of them were one-on-one matches with only two of them allowing different Pokemon to be used. Even with being able to change Pokemon for different rounds, it got really boring really fast. Making some of the tournaments two-on-two or three-on-three could have worked or give the tournament arc another episode to have something like that for the semi-finals/finals of the tournament could have helped. Not skipping battles would also be good, even if they're facing one-shot characters. This was a major problem for me with the Junior Cup since almost all of the first and second round matches were skipped due to facing one-shots. It's understandable that they wouldn't focus on matches that didn't involve facing established characters, but at the same time, ignoring them completely just makes the tournament feel more rushed and less interesting if we barely see any of the main characters' fights until the last couple of rounds. I'd much rather see another Contest saga or something else for the female trainer to participate in herself, but if they do keep these Don Battle tournaments in, I seriously hope that they give them some drastic improvements.

I'm completely against Trip staying on as Ash's rival though. After Ash defeats his rivals, there's usually not much to be done with them since Ash already beat them and that defeat is pretty much the finale for most of the rivalries. Besides that, I thought he was a terrible rival and there wasn't much of a rivalry between him and Ash to begin with, so I have no desire to see him in the next series. If they do give Ash another main rival, I think I'd prefer it if they took whatever rival will be introduced in the games instead of making their own anime only rival again. That might be jumping the gun a bit since there's no clue as to what kind of rival there will be in X/Y and they didn't particularly handled Gary that well, but I think I'd prefer seeing them tackle a rival based on the newest rival more so than another anime-only rival. I get the impression that they were trying to make another anime-only rival with Trip in the hopes that it would work as well as it did with Paul. That obviously didn't happen, so maybe a rival based on the one from the games could work better. I don't think it could be any worse than it was with Trip, so either than or going the AG route with no main rival would work for me.
    Fair enough. I think the Don Tourneys seemed so rushed and too close together because this series was paced so quickly. If the next series has bigger gaps between Gym's like Johto and Sinnoh, (im expecting it to) maybe it won't seem that way. The one-on-ones weren't an issue with me, but as far as skipping matches go I agree completely. They could have been handled much better but I think they could be improved and built upon.

I didn't think about this until today but maybe World Tourneys can replace the Don Battles? Having a different type experts Tourney each time would be an interesting formula, at least for me. Even if the pacing is slower, I don't know if they could pull off balancing Don Battles/World Tourneys and the new girls' Contests (or whatever she might do) though...

Im not a fan of Trip myself. The reason I wouldn't be opposed to him coming back is in hopes he's developed. With this new region, im expecting a Kanto-Johto like transition; so maybe in this next region Trip could mature and develop kind of like how Gary did in Johto. I agree he was handled poorly, though. Im in the majority that preferred Cheren as a rival instead. Him loosing to Ash does seem like a fitting end to the rivalry, but one could argue that the fact he lost in the first round could give that rivalry more headway. Maybe Trip will learn to not focus on just one Pokemon, but balance his team out instead. So im willing to put up with Trip in the X/Y series if he does indeed grow and develop. The rival for X and Y would be nice too, I guess im content with either.
    Last edited by GibleKidd; 13th January 2013 at 11:31 PM.

Super Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Blueberry View Post
    This. If Ash being alone would be boring, then they can have in-game NPCs travel with Ash temporarily every few episodes..
    I honestly think that something like that would get kind of boring after awhile, especially when they wouldn't have much time to do anything with those characters. Plus, I think that they would want new characters actually joining the cast for the full series for marketing reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Umbreon19 View Post
    Fair enough. I think the Don Tourneys seemed so rushed and too close together because this series was paced so quickly. If the next series has bigger gaps between Gym's like Johto and Sinnoh, (im expecting it to) maybe it won't seem that way. The one-on-ones weren't an issue with me, but as far as skipping matches go I agree completely. They could have been handled much better but I think they could be improved and built upon.

I didn't think about this until today but maybe World Tourneys can replace the Don Battles? Having a different type experts Tourney each time would be an interesting formula, at least for me. Even if the pacing is slower, I don't know if they could pull off balancing Don Battles/World Tourneys and the new girls' Contests (or whatever she might do) though...
    The pacing of BW most likely contributed to the Don Battle tournaments being faster than it has been for the last couple of series. Even if the next series has larger gaps between the Gyms, which is definitely possible, I'd much rather see them use Contests or whatever goal the female trainer will hopefully participate in instead. They could improve more on these tournaments and I wouldn't mind that so much if they did, but they can improve on Contests or try something new instead. World Tournaments might be fun, but I think that would depend on if that feature is still in X/Y, just like how Contests being in the anime had to depend on their presence in the games. I don't think that they could pull off balancing the smaller tournaments and the Contests, or whatever the female trainer will hopefully do.

Quote Originally Posted by Umbreon19
    Im not a fan of Trip myself. The reason I wouldn't be opposed to him coming back is in hopes he's developed. With this new region, im expecting a Kanto-Johto like transition; so maybe in this next region Trip could mature and develop kind of like how Gary did in Johto. I agree he was handled poorly, though. Im in the majority that preferred Cheren as a rival instead. Him loosing to Ash does seem like a fitting end to the rivalry, but one could argue that the fact he lost in the first round could give that rivalry more headway. Maybe Trip will learn to not focus on just one Pokemon, but balance his team out instead. So im willing to put up with Trip in the X/Y series if he does indeed grow and develop. The rival for X and Y would be nice too, I guess im content with either.
    I think that losing to Alder in the Junior Cup and being a bit more respectful afterwards is suppose to be development for Trip, along with Ash defeating him. I don't think that losing in the first round could give their rivalry more headway. Most of Gary's maturity was off-screen anyway, so I don't think that's the best example to follow. Unlike with Trip, Ash never faced Gary in battle during the first season and their rivalry was unresolved by the time Johto started. Ash defeating his rivals is basically the end of their rivalry and I don't see how it would be any different with Trip, especially when it didn't seem like the writers were that interested in their so-called rivalry by a certain point in the series. I don't think that losing to Ash in the first round of the Unova league really bothered him. Seeing the rival want to beat Ash, as opposed to the other way around, sounds interesting and maybe that could have worked with a rookie rival, instead of overpowering him like what happened with Trip, but since Ash already defeated Trip in a league match, there isn't anything left to do with their rivalry to warrant Trip still being around. Plus, if they couldn't create a halfway decent rivalry between the two in this series and they didn't care much about doing much with Trip compared to the other rival characters, I seriously doubt that they'd be interested in developing him for the next series. I'm still leading towards either the X/Y rival from the games, who hopefully will be interesting, or going the AG route with Ash just improving on his own without a rival, which really wouldn't hurt him at this point to be honest.

Blog Entries

Follow Kyriaki on Tumblr

I honestly think that something like that would get kind of boring after awhile, especially when they wouldn't have much time to do anything with those characters. Plus, I think that they would want new characters actually joining the cast for the full series for marketing reasons.
    They used Iris and Cilan to market BW? That doesn't really seem all that reasonable. If anything, they should've used either Hilda or Hilbert if they wanted to include characters for marketing reasons.

They used Iris and Cilan to market BW? That doesn't really seem all that reasonable. If anything, they should've used either Hilda or Hilbert if they wanted to include characters for marketing reasons.
    I was actually thinking more of having more characters to help market the newest series itself since there are promotional images/poster for each new series. It would be kind of dull if Ash was the only non-Pokemon character on those kind of posters. The new characters also tend to tie into the new video games too so that they do promote the newest games and this isn't the only time non-playable characters from the games have been used like this either, so I don't quite understand why you're surprised about this. Even though people battling Iris and Cilan depends on the version/starter they chose, they're still characters from the video games and seeing them in the anime could potentially make kids want to buy the games to battle them. Using either Hilda or Hilbert would have been tricky since there wasn't an active sidequest for Hilda to participate in and Ash basically had Hilbert's outfit to stand in for him in the show anyway. Not being in B2/W2, unlike with Cilan and Iris, might have been a problem too if they did want to go with either character.

Blog Entries

Follow Kyriaki on Tumblr

I was actually thinking more of having more characters to help market the newest series itself since there are promotional images/poster for each new series. It would be kind of dull if Ash was the only non-Pokemon character on those kind of posters. The new characters also tend to tie into the new video games too so that they do promote the newest games and this isn't the only time non-playable characters from the games have been used like this either, so I don't quite understand why you're surprised about this. Even though people battling Iris and Cilan depends on the version/starter they chose, they're still characters from the video games and seeing them in the anime could potentially make kids want to buy the games to battle them. Using either Hilda or Hilbert would have been tricky since there wasn't an active sidequest for Hilda to participate in and Ash basically had Hilbert's outfit to stand in for him in the show anyway. Not being in B2/W2, unlike with Cilan and Iris, might have been a problem too if they did want to go with either character.
    They had no problem bringing Lyra into the show when HGSS came out. Instead of Dawn, they could've brought Rosa in along that time - and they didn't have any reason to bring back Cynthia for marketing reasons as well.

And they should be way more crafty enough to make up episodes that could casually go with one another. Everyone gave up on Cheren when Trip appeared as the rival - however, he's scheduled to appear as a gym leader, when they don't have much to market about Gen 5. (probably as a last resort to make up for the horrible league arc).

And Hilda could've been in the group as a senior trainer who's interested in the legends of the Tao Trio, or something. Surely they could've thought of something...

or maybe not. I kinda lost my faith in the anime team after watching the league arc.
    Last edited by Kyriaki; 14th January 2013 at 03:39 AM.

They had no problem bringing Lyra into the show when HGSS came out. Instead of Dawn, they could've brought Rosa in along that time - and they didn't have any reason to bring back Cynthia for marketing reasons as well.
    While I like the idea of Rosa appearing in the anime, I don't know what they would have had her do during those episodes. I think that Dawn and Cynthia were brought in for marketing reasons since they did make a big deal about both of them appearing and having older Pokemon back when season two started. Plus, it gave them the chance to market Piplup, which still has merchandise selling in Japan due to how popular it is, and Cynthia appears in the post-storyline content of B2/W2 as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Blueberry
    And they should be way more crafty enough to make up episodes that could casually go with one another. Everyone gave up on Cheren when Trip appeared as the rival - however, he's scheduled to appear as a gym leader, when they don't have much to market about Gen 5. (probably as a last resort to make up for the horrible league arc).

And Hilda could've been in the group as a senior trainer who's interested in the legends of the Tao Trio, or something. Surely they could've thought of something...

or maybe not. I kinda lost my faith in the anime team after watching the league arc.
    Cheren appearing as a Gym Leader at this point isn't that much different than having Marlon appear months after B2/W2 were released. It has been a bit longer since the release date in this case, but not drastically different all the same. I don't know if they would be interested in Hilda doing something that she couldn't actively do in the games. May and Dawn being Coordinators at least is something players can do with their video game counterparts in their respective games, but Hilda doesn't research the legendary Pokemon of Unova in the games. The idea itself sounds like it could be interesting, but I also don't think that it would go well. Not so much because of the Unova League, but just how they've handled female characters without battle active goals. That is one of the reasons why I really hope that X/Y will bring back Contests or introduce something new for the female trainer in the group to participate in frequently throughout the series.

Blog Entries

Follow Kyriaki on Tumblr

Cheren appearing as a Gym Leader at this point isn't that much different than having Marlon appear months after B2/W2 were released. It has been a bit longer since the release date in this case, but not drastically different all the same. I don't know if they would be interested in Hilda doing something that she couldn't actively do in the games. May and Dawn being Coordinators at least is something players can do with their video game counterparts in their respective games, but Hilda doesn't research the legendary Pokemon of Unova in the games. The idea itself sounds like it could be interesting, but I also don't think that it would go well. Not so much because of the Unova League, but just how they've handled female characters without battle active goals. That is one of the reasons why I really hope that X/Y will bring back Contests or introduce something new for the female trainer in the group to participate in frequently throughout the series.
    May and Dawn are technically the female PCs in the games. The players could easily abandon contests after having one go at it. The females didn't need to be coordinators as their goal. Likewise, there's no such thing as Pokemon Sommerlier in the games - no mini-games, no side-quest, absolutely NOTHING about it in the games. So why was Cilan following Ash around to be a better Sommerlier? They just made it up to give Cilan some story and reason to travel with Ash. They could've made up any story for Hilda to travel with Ash as well. Like I said, if they are people who are supposed to have creative minds, they should be able to come up with some ideas that could promote the games at the same time being popular with the kids who watch TV.

And even though Cynthia appears in the post-game content - does she even do something? She just stays in Caitilins house 24/7 and doesn't even contribute to any sort of mini-quest. She just battles the player and that's all. The fact that she's in Undella Town might have given her something to do - like the Abyssal Ruins. But they never bothered with that, and gave Zinzolin the job to give the player some help on translation. And why Dawn? There WAS that Singing Piplup distribute event in my country - but it was over even before Dawn made her BW debut. I honestly don't get the point why they wanted to market Piplup when there are far better BW pokemon to market. Instead of bringing back Dawn and Cynthia for pointless fillers, they could've covered Snivy's story instead and market HER. And that Meloetta arc with Giovanni - I know Cynthia barely did anything, but Alder could've easily filled that spot. It's that Aqua-Magma arc all over again where a completely unrelated champion takes the spotlight of the region's respective champion.

May and Dawn are technically the female PCs in the games. The players could easily abandon contests after having one go at it. The females didn't need to be coordinators as their goal. Likewise, there's no such thing as Pokemon Sommerlier in the games - no mini-games, no side-quest, absolutely NOTHING about it in the games. So why was Cilan following Ash around to be a better Sommerlier? They just made it up to give Cilan some story and reason to travel with Ash. They could've made up any story for Hilda to travel with Ash as well. Like I said, if they are people who are supposed to have creative minds, they should be able to come up with some ideas that could promote the games at the same time being popular with the kids who watch TV.
    I'm aware that players don't have to do Contests, but that is something that they can do if they wanted to. Cilan, on the other hand, is a non-playable character, so they could just make up something for him, similar to Brock's goal of being the best Pokemon Breeder. With characters based on actual playable characters, like May and Dawn, I think that they prefer to have them do something that players can do in the game, which is what I've been trying to say. They don't have to do Contests, but the option is there. I don't think that they would make up a goal for Hilda that wasn't based on something she could do in the games.

And even though Cynthia appears in the post-game content - does she even do something? She just stays in Caitilins house 24/7 and doesn't even contribute to any sort of mini-quest. She just battles the player and that's all. The fact that she's in Undella Town might have given her something to do - like the Abyssal Ruins. But they never bothered with that, and gave Zinzolin the job to give the player some help on translation. And why Dawn? There WAS that Singing Piplup distribute event in my country - but it was over even before Dawn made her BW debut. I honestly don't get the point why they wanted to market Piplup when there are far better BW pokemon to market. Instead of bringing back Dawn and Cynthia for pointless fillers, they could've covered Snivy's story instead and market HER. And that Meloetta arc with Giovanni - I know Cynthia barely did anything, but Alder could've easily filled that spot. It's that Aqua-Magma arc all over again where a completely unrelated champion takes the spotlight of the region's respective champion.
    She's still part of the post-storyline content, even if she doesn't do much beyond battling, so she would be promoting the games, and I think that they were trying to bring in popular characters from the previous series to help boost ratings and showcase older Pokemon again. Dawn was also popular and Piplup is still has some new merchandise that sells in Japan. They wanted to bring in older Pokemon for the second season, instead of focusing on BW Pokemon.

Blog Entries

Follow Kyriaki on Tumblr

I'm aware that players don't have to do Contests, but that is something that they can do if they wanted to. Cilan, on the other hand, is a non-playable character, so they could just make up something for him, similar to Brock's goal of being the best Pokemon Breeder. With characters based on actual playable characters, like May and Dawn, I think that they prefer to have them do something that players can do in the game, which is what I've been trying to say. They don't have to do Contests, but the option is there. I don't think that they would make up a goal for Hilda that wasn't based on something she could do in the games.
    They could've made her take up Musicals, then, even though that is optional as well. Or, a trader - like how there are NPCs that trade items with you every week? You have to talk to them to trade, so basically you're the one doing the trade. Or a hidden grotto explorer. OR she could've been the one to promote pokemon movies like Luke had done - movies were introduced long before B2W2 was out, so I don't see problems with it. There's plenty of things a PC could do in the games - it's only a matter how one can write a good story with it.

She's still part of the post-storyline content, even if she doesn't do much beyond battling, so she would be promoting the games, and I think that they were trying to bring in popular characters from the previous series to help boost ratings and showcase older Pokemon again. Dawn was also popular and Piplup is still has some new merchandise that sells in Japan. They wanted to bring in older Pokemon for the second season, instead of focusing on BW Pokemon.
    ...bringing in older pokemon to market when B2W2 was just released? Meh, Cynthia was just there because they had to promote Caitilin XDD But in all seriousness, Rosa could've been better - she promotes B2W2, and if they wanted to bring back older Pokemon, they could've just given her Riolu or something since Riolu is popular as well. (yes I know Kotetsu exists but this is just IF)

They could've made her take up Musicals, then, even though that is optional as well. Or, a trader - like how there are NPCs that trade items with you every week? You have to talk to them to trade, so basically you're the one doing the trade. Or a hidden grotto explorer. OR she could've been the one to promote pokemon movies like Luke had done - movies were introduced long before B2W2 was out, so I don't see problems with it. There's plenty of things a PC could do in the games - it's only a matter how one can write a good story with it.
    Musicals could have been possible if they wanted to make them like Unova's own version of Contests. I don't think that they would have made her as a trader or a hidden grotto explorer since for a playable character, they would probably want her to do something more active in the anime so that kids might be more interested in getting the games and playing as her. Promoting Pokemon movies is something that would fit more with a minor character rather than a playable character. There are a lot of things that playable characters can do in the game, but I still think that they'd prefer for those characters in the anime to be more battle active if May and Dawn are any indication.

...bringing in older pokemon to market when B2W2 was just released? Meh, Cynthia was just there because they had to promote Caitilin XDD But in all seriousness, Rosa could've been better - she promotes B2W2, and if they wanted to bring back older Pokemon, they could've just given her Riolu or something since Riolu is popular as well. (yes I know Kotetsu exists but this is just IF)
    Given the amount of promo the season two had around the time B2/W2 had, I thought it was obvious that they brought in older Pokemon for that purpose. I do like the idea of Rosa appearing with a Riolu since chances are excellent that I would like her anime counterpart a lot more than Cameron, but I still think that they wouldn't want to use a playable character for something that they can't do in the games. Although, Rosa taking Cameron's place does sound quite nice. In any case, I think that we're drifting a bit too off-topic here, so let's get back to discussing how the new games will impact the anime.

Since Ash will most likely get whatever the next early route bird will be, I do hope that they'll do more with it than they did with Unfezant. Giving it a better moveset and better battles to make it stand out would be a big help.

i apologize for being off topic but is there a filler arc between unova and the next region (x and y)? I am assuming that generation 6 will not start until October.

Quote Originally Posted by hhhhdmt View Post
    i apologize for being off topic but is there a filler arc between unova and the next region (x and y)? I am assuming that generation 6 will not start until October.
    I'm pretty sure that Episode N is suppose to be the bridge between Unova and whatever the next region will be. I doubt that they could add int another arc in BW. The next series won't start until shortly before or shortly after the games are released in October.

Also, one thing that I'd really like to happen in the next series would be Ash getting a fully evolved Water Pokemon. An evolved Water starter would be ideal, even though we don't know what Froakie will evolve into, but just having another evolved Water type would be great. While Ash does have some good Water types, he has very few evolved Water types, especially compared to his Fire and Grass types, so Ash getting a fully evolved Water type would be really cool to see.

Thanks for the reply. I am wandering how long the N arc will be, surely they can't go on for 7 months?

As for the evolved water type in Generation 6, i agree, although i would prefer to know what Froakie's evolution looks like. If it has a terrible design, then i would prefer it Ash didn't get Froakie and got another evolved water type instead. I really like Fennekin and hopefully it has a great evolution but Ash does not even need another fire type, let alone an evolved one. Neither does he need a grass type.

Quote Originally Posted by hhhhdmt View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I am wandering how long the N arc will be, surely they can't go on for 7 months?
    You're welcome. I imagine that Episode N will go on for that long. I can't really see them doing another arc in BW afterwards, but it does depend on what they have plan for the arc.

Quote Originally Posted by hhhdmt
    As for the evolved water type in Generation 6, i agree, although i would prefer to know what Froakie's evolution looks like. If it has a terrible design, then i would prefer it Ash didn't get Froakie and got another evolved water type instead. I really like Fennekin and hopefully it has a great evolution but Ash does not even need another fire type, let alone an evolved one. Neither does he need a grass type.
    Yeah, it would be better to see what Froakie's evolutions look like before, but I'd just like to see him have more evolved Water types. The only ones he has right now are Kingler and Palpitoad with Kingler being the only fully evolved Water type he has, so another strong fully evolved Water type, starter or otherwise would be great. I like Fennekin too, but I think it would work better with the female trainer design wise. Plus, I'd still rather see Ash getting one starter Pokemon or two at the most than all three again. I imagine that he'll at least get Chespin since Ash always get at least the Grass starter in each new generation.

Page 12 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast