Page 2 of 66 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: The How Much Japanese Music Is Kept In The Dub Thread

Blog Entries
    Add Lord_Mewtwo on Facebook
    Visit Lord_Mewtwo's Youtube Channel

Default Re: The How Much Japanese Music Is Kept In The Dub Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Lugnut View Post
    Wow, this is a really in depth and useful thread. Thanks for taking the time to go through all of this.

I've always wondered how they go about deciding what music to kep and what to take out. It seems like most of the shows keep about half, but then there are sections where all of it is kept for a while? Does it have to do with the process of dubbing the voices?
    I honestly don't know if dubbing the voices has to do with keeping the original music.
    Creator of The How Much Japanese Music Is Kept In The Dub Thread Last updated 8-21-11
    The user formerly known as kenai3000
    Back into Pokemon and am now more of a fan than ever

Speaking of background music, anyone know the name of the music that plays right when squirtle takes off his glasses in "Here Comes the Squirtle Squad"?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Xilch View Post
    Speaking of background music, anyone know the name of the music that plays right when squirtle takes off his glasses in "Here Comes the Squirtle Squad"?
    It doesn't have an official name as this piece of Japanese music hasn't been released on CD, but I would call it Happy Go-Lucky Ending.
    Creator of The How Much Japanese Music Is Kept In The Dub Thread Last updated 8-21-11

Blog Entries

Visit ashita's Youtube Channel

Wow awesome list
    amazing hoe much they used to keep of it

Originally Posted by MAGNEDETH View Post
    personally, ive never been raped, but i try to rape as many people on a daily basis as i can.
    my record is 47 people in one day, oh what a day...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ashita View Post
    Wow awesome list
    amazing hoe much they used to keep of it
    Yeah I wonder why 4Kids stopped keeping most of it, and started using more their own music.

Blog Entries

What dub music was there in DP136? I thought all the music was kept...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mamoswine Gliscor View Post
    What dub music was there in DP136? I thought all the music was kept...
    The only replaced music was the title screen music.

It´s sad they cutted the BGM, some with no apparent reason

Blog Entries

It's a shame that during season 4 4Kids decided to replace most of the Japanese music with their own music. That's not to say the 4Kids music is bad or anything it's just that they should have left the original music intact, and if they wanted their own music they could stick it in parts that had no music in the Japanese version.

OSHAWHAT?

Episode 136: The Valley Of Lizardon! Until The Day We Meet Again/Charizard's Burning Ambitions
    Pieces used in the Japanese Version: 17
    Pieces kept in the English Version: 11
    Percentage Kept: 65%
    Satoshi/Ash leaves Lizardon/Charizard at the Lizarfic Valley/Charicific Valley
    Dr. Orchid's Pokemon Lecture: Nidoqueen
    Just some trivia for this one- I think it's significant. So during the scene at night where Ash's Charizard is in the water and meditating on life and all that, there's a piece of music that plays (which actually ends when morning comes) that is called "Miracle Tears." It plays during the Japanese Mewtwo movie scene where the Pokeymanz are crying and Ash is brought back to life.

And it was used in the dub. I know Dub Pokemon's used music from the Japanese version of that movie many times, but that's the only time I know that they used that piece. (I don't even know how often that piece has played in the Japanese episodes of Pokemon.)

I like that piece, so... yeah.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Kamex View Post
    Just some trivia for this one- I think it's significant. So during the scene at night where Ash's Charizard is in the water and meditating on life and all that, there's a piece of music that plays (which actually ends when morning comes) that is called "Miracle Tears." It plays during the Japanese Mewtwo movie scene where the Pokeymanz are crying and Ash is brought back to life.

And it was used in the dub. I know Dub Pokemon's used music from the Japanese version of that movie many times, but that's the only time I know that they used that piece. (I don't even know how often that piece has played in the Japanese episodes of Pokemon.)

I like that piece, so... yeah.
    Yeah it's so strange that 4Kids replaced all of the music from the dub of Movie 1, but left most its original music in the TV Series.

Blog Entries

What's the song at the beginning of DP133?

Blog Entries

^It's a variation of a song on the 3rd Movie OST called "Mii's theme". It's unreleased, though...

Edit: That should help clarify. XD
    Last edited by Blue_Drifblim; 24th February 2010 at 07:48 PM.

Blog Entries

Something occurred to me. When measuring how faithful the Dub is in terms of keeping the background music intact, you have to consider more than just how many BMG cues are left in what percentage of BGM cues are left in. I mean those things are important.

But you also have to consider how many seconds of BGM are left in as well. For example, let's say you have three BGM cues. One has a duration of more than 2 minutes, but the other two are less than 15 seconds. Then, let's say the Dub kept the piece that was more than two minutes long, but the other two cues are replaced. That means that of the three cues, the Dub kept over 80% of BGM in terms of seconds.

Then, I think another way of measuring the faithfulness of the Dub in terms of music, is how much they decide to leave things alone in terms of adding their own soundtrack. We have at least 4 episodes in the last 2 Seasons where absolutely no Dub music was used, and another episode where a measly 9 seconds of Dub BGM was added. By that standard, I think those episodes were even more faithful in terms of music than the Kanto and Orange Islands where 100% percent of the original BGM was kept, because they added music music in almost every place where there was none playing in the original.

I don't want you to go back and measure those factors if it's too much work, but I thought I'd just throw that out there.
    Proud member of the Pokemon BGM Club

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kazamatsuri View Post
    Something occurred to me. When measuring how faithful the Dub is in terms of keeping the background music intact, you have to consider more than just how many BMG cues are left in what percentage of BGM cues are left in. I mean those things are important.

But you also have to consider how many seconds of BGM are left in as well. For example, let's say you have three BGM cues. One has a duration of more than 2 minutes, but the other two are less than 15 seconds. Then, let's say the Dub kept the piece that was more than two minutes long, but the other two cues are replaced. That means that of the three cues, the Dub kept over 80% of BGM in terms of seconds.

Then, I think another way of measuring the faithfulness of the Dub in terms of music, is how much they decide to leave things alone in terms of adding their own soundtrack. We have at least 4 episodes in the last 2 Seasons where absolutely no Dub music was used, and another episode where a measly 9 seconds of Dub BGM was added. By that standard, I think those episodes were even more faithful in terms of music than the Kanto and Orange Islands where 100% percent of the original BGM was kept, because they added music music in almost every place where there was none playing in the original.

I don't want you to go back and measure those factors if it's too much work, but I thought I'd just throw that out there.
    As much as that is important I do think that it would be too much work as I already have a hard enough time concentrating on how many pieces are in the Japanese version.

Page 2 of 66 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast