How do you think the writers will handle the XY rivals?

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By 97SaturnSL1
  • 1 Post By Sakuraa

Thread: How do you think the writers will handle the XY rivals?

I am sneaking at you! Spypitoad's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default How do you think the writers will handle the XY rivals?

In Sinnoh we had good rivals in Paul, Barry, Zoey and Kenny. They had much screen time and were shown to be worthy opponents. In BW we had Trip, Stephan, Bianca, Cameron, Burgundy, Virgil and Georgia. They had too few appearances to show their pokemon and they were too many for such a short saga.
    So how do you think the rivals will be handeled in XY?
    And are they going to give Ashs companions rivals too as they did in BW with Cilan-Burgundy and Iris-Georgia?
    I know all your secrets!

BECAUSE I AM THE SPYPITOAD!

Proud Pokeservative! 97SaturnSL1's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: How do you think the writers will handle the XY rivals?

All i can see happening with the handling of the new rivals is something along the lines of
    given thier past record with BW

As for companion rivals, its to early to tell cause im not sure which compainions are either staying or getting replaced
    Spypitoad, 8ther and Ambipom666 like this.

I want Ash to only have two rivals and I hope they treat tem both equally in development and rivalry standard. That's all I want. I really don't care about anyone else. Don't just give the other cast members rivals if they are not going to be rivals but just friends. If so than I rather watch them interact with codts.

Blog Entries

I'll be fine with a few rivals, but Black and White had way too many rivals to the point that I got sick of them.
    Rhonda: Okay, Curly, I admit it. I'm your secret admirer. And the truth is, no matter how hard I try and fight it, [reading off her hand] I'm really, really wild about you. In fact, I've fallen crazy in love. So what do you say? How does that make you feel?
    Curly: Give Daddy some sugar. (kiss)

Electrifyingly Adorable Sakuraa's Avatar

I hope they give Ash less rivals than they did in BW. If they do give him a lot, hopefully they'll space out their appearances and they won't all show up together in most of their appearances. I can't say anything about his companions getting rivals since we don't know who they are yet, but I'd be fine if they did as long as they get good development as well.
    Burakeon likes this.

I like the idea of giving rivals for the companions, that's one of the ideas BW introduced that were really neat. If done well it adds more to the development of Ash's friends, and not just Ash himself.
    It is a good idea, but on the other hand I must admit it was poorly executed in BW.
    Burgundy is a laughing stock, that despite some funny moments, is unable to provide a challenge for Cilan, and therefore, doesn't help his character to develop in any way. She is the one growing, and while she does show respect for him, she is unable to win anything making her supposed improvement questionable.
    Georgia is way better and actually showcased an influencial growth on Iris. They do learned to acknowledge each other despite the antagonism and over time Iris even became more acceptable of ice types after a bonding moment with Vaniluxe. Their mutual plot was, however, left hanging without a proper conclusion. Last time they battled Dragonite decided to fight all by himself giving Iris a zero effort victory and they are yet to have a proper climatic battle to seal their rivalry.
    Another flaw was going overboard with rivals for Ash. Being the main character it is only natural if he gets like, 2 rivals, while the others get only one, but the sheer number of recurring opponents he got in Unova was just ridiculous. They were so many they couldn't develop all of them, I don't think Cameron was really necessary and I'm still wondering why they introduced Virgil so late if he doesn't get to battle Ash at all.
    By the way, I do like the idea of giving rivals to everyone, but only if they are treated properly. I hope they do the same in XY, but I also hope for them to have learned from their mistakes and do it better next time.

Hopefully like BW, no main rivals, give them all some plot and fun personalities to play around, make them battle each other and sidekicks in tournaments, etc.