How do you think Togepi would have been handled if Ash raised it instead?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: How do you think Togepi would have been handled if Ash raised it instead?

Default How do you think Togepi would have been handled if Ash raised it instead?

Togepi was originally Ash's pokemon anyway, so do you think that it would have been handled better if he did raise it instead of Misty? Since Ash actually battles wit his pokemon then I'm sure that the little egg pokemon would have learned some decent moves and possibly evolved in Johto at some point. It probably would have gotten Oaked after Johto but then when DP came around maybe Ash could have gave or traded Togepi(tic) to Dawn so that it could have evolved into Togekiss later on.

That's just how I could have seen it happening. Do you think Togepi should have been raised by Ash, or was it better off with Misty? Do you think it would have been exactly the same regardless of whether Ash or Misty kept it?
    djulienr likes this.

~Claimer of Pansage in the Claim a Pokemon thread~
    ~Claimer of Cilan in the Claim a Character thread~

Default Re: How do you think Togepi would have been handled if Ash raised it instead?

I'm sure it would have been treated as a part of the team all the same, and would have bonded with Ash, but in all honesty, Togepi feels more like a Pokemon that's handled better in a female Trainer's care, if that makes sense. It's the sort of Pokemon that more deserves a mother's attention. Phanpy and Scraggy are different because they're more brute force Pokemon.
    Caseydia likes this.

My White 2 Team

Blog Entries

Default Re: How do you think Togepi would have been handled if Ash raised it instead?

It would know the definition of a pokeball. Therefore it would be 100x better.

Moe
    Blog Entries

I think Brock should have raised Togepi - might have given some slight reason to his breeder goal, they only really did that well in my view when he got Bonsly. I think Togepi seriously hampered Misty's development, though considering they chucked an Azurill in her hands immediately after that so she could keep babying something - it was probably inevitable regardless of the specific Pokemon.

Ash on the other hand wouldn't make any sense, it's not a Pokemon that lends itself to battles - and if it had anything like a game moveset, it would mean Ash would be sending out a Pokemon and using Metronome and hoping for the best. Ash didn't need even more randomness in his move choices. Togetic could be good - but Noctowl was a far more interesting flying type for Ash - so it doesn't really fill a gap.
    djulienr and martianmister like this.

Blog Entries

It would still be a Togepi today forgotten at Oak's laboratory like most of Satoshi's Pokémon.

Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

I think that Togepi could have been in more battles, although depending on Metronome would get old after awhile. While the design wouldn't really fit with Ash, I would have preferred it since it would have been kind of cool to see Togepi battle more often instead of just being cute. I don't know if its chances for evolution would be any better, especially when it would still be a secondary mascot, but I wouldn't mind Ash getting a Togetic. A Togekiss would be awesome too, although I wouldn't mind it if it took Aipom's place with trading over with Dawn for Buizel instead of getting one handed to her just before the Grand Festival.

Bow before me, bitches! SammyW27's Avatar
    Add SammyW27 on Facebook
    Visit SammyW27's Youtube Channel

Togepi likely still would've been annoying & useless (thanks to being shoehorned into the show long before it gave the writers anything to work with), but at least Misty hopefully wouldn't have devolved into the dull do-nothing she was for much of the OS thereafter
    Last edited by SammyW27; 16th October 2012 at 01:42 PM.

OPPAN GARY STYLE! Little Miss Eevee's Avatar

I would MUCH have prefered Ash get Togepi rather than Misty. Misty sorta became dull in the OS, and it made me sad. ash wouldn't have had that problem, as his evolution into a mature and decent pokemon trainer (Until black and white, where he devolved into an idiot again) was a key point in the show.
    SammyW27 and djulienr like this.

All Eeveelutions are equal, but some are more equal than others.
    Banner made by me! I have officially claimed Minccino on the 13-11-12

Want a baby Pokemon or an Eevee? Here's my FC (I like shinies)
    1249-7189-3936

Trophies

Well Misty treated it more like a pet due to it being "cute" and "adorable". Although it is both of those things, Ash wouldent of waited that long to train it up. It would have probably evolved in johto under ash and yes, would have been poke-balled as he already has Pikachu out with him. I think it would have lost its cute appearance under ash, just due to his training methods. It would look fearce in battles.

Huge thanks to Blue Dragon for my EPIC avatar & sig

It probably would've evolved sooner since Ash is a battler and he'd probably push Togepi to battle early on. To be honest, the idea of Ash with Togepi bothers me for that very reason. He isn't the motherly type, so I don't think Togepi would've been a good Pokemon for him. :x

Blog Entries

LOL pokemon hateched from eggs generally hatch battle ready. Misty just coddled togepi to where it was nothing more than a helpless baby.

pokemon fan 132 pokemon fan 132's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Whether Togepi went to Ash or Brock, he wouldn't be treated any better than he was with Misty.
    Back than when Misty received it, Togepi was treated as pretty big deal portraying it as rare and mysterious pokemon which foreshadowed release of Gold and Silver being second mascot along with Pikachu. Because of mascot status evolution was dropped out from window until Misty left cast, with writers having very clear policy about it. For same reason, Pikachu and Piplup never evolved, and Axew evolution is highly questionable at this point too.
    Because in series like pokemon, advertizing always take precedence over development.

If Ash received Togepi he would probably keep it out of ball all the time because of its status at that time, which was impossible to happen in first place since he already had Pikachu fulfilling that role. Battling was out of option too, because writers policy about baby pokemon was different back than treating them as harmless and fragile little creatures who aren't capable of battling(something which didn't start to change until end of Johto).

So at end of the day, Misty really was best choice for Togepi investing lot of time, care and effort in his growth creating strong bond between trainer and pokemon. Since he evolves through happiness, she fulfilled that role by taking great care of it, reaching culmination in Hoenn when Togepi finally evolving.

Togepi also played some role in Misty characterization, being step toward maturity in future.

Quote Originally Posted by Moe View Post
    I think Brock should have raised Togepi - might have given some slight reason to his breeder goal, they only really did that well in my view when he got Bonsly. I think Togepi seriously hampered Misty's development, though considering they chucked an Azurill in her hands immediately after that so she could keep babying something - it was probably inevitable regardless of the specific Pokemon.
    Im interested to hear how Togepi hampered Misty development? Because any lack of development was direct causation from writers, not Togepi.

Also Azurill unlike Togepi can actually battle, heal and wasn't all the time in Misty arms. Since he hatched from egg recently prior to meeting with Ash again, im not sure what was strange in staying out of pokeball for awhile either. Pikachu, Piplup or Axew are all the time outside pokeballs and i don't see anyone forming negative image out of this.

Quote Originally Posted by SammyW27 View Post
    Togepi likely still would've been annoying & useless (thanks to being shoehorned into the show long before it gave the writers anything to work with), but at least Misty hopefully wouldn't have devolved into the dull do-nothing she was for much of the OS
    Im not sure how xactly Togepi made Misty dull? Because last time i checked she was still full of personality, having that spunky and adventurous attitude after getting egg pokemon. When taking in account how most of Misty highlights and things she did came from Orange Islands, Johto and chronicles when she already had Togepi for quite awhile this makes even less sense. In comparison during Kanto Misty rarely battled, got almost no growth and did generally less than she did in upcoming sagas she was in.

She didn't received enough focus to properly shine, and there was definitely left untapped potential, but during majority of her run i find Misty was enjoyable character, adding extra flavor to cast with strong presence.

Fun fact: Misty had mother tendencies before Togepi even came into picture. It was first time showed with Horsea, being always part of character.

Blog Entries

I think Togepi would gain a larger role in the mascot status. Ash would sometimes hold Togepi, or it would ride Pikachu's back or it would walk next to Ash. If Ash would keep it all the time even in Unova? Sure.

It would battle sometimes and once it's in a battle mood, it will turn into a fierce fighter.

It would be more like that Pocket Monsters gag manga, like Clefairy & Pikachu, but less gaggy.

I would have said yes a while ago but looking back, I really don't know what would have happened back then. Ash had pikachu out all the time, so I know that Togepi would have been in it's ball alot more. By how Phanpy was handled , I think it would have definetly evolved quicker.

Blog Entries

I really can't see Ash raising Togepi, since 'cute' pokemon really don't fit him in my eyes, and Togepi was supposed to be like a little baby who needed a mother figure to take care of it. Still, I do agree that it should have evolved in Johto. I don't get why that particular Togepi was the only one shown throughout the entire original series. I get that it was supposed to be rare during Kanto, but by Johto it was known that Togepi was a pokemon from that region. I think it would ahve been better if it evolved during Johto or we could have at least seen another Togepi or Togetic in the anime at that point. Whether it was Ash, Misty, or Brock raising it, I think it should have evolved in Johto.
    pokemon fan 132 likes this.

Look Forward, Team Rocket!

Also I claim Piplup in the Claim a Pokemon thread =)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast