How do you feel about kids growing up with the current series? - Page 3

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 69
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: How do you feel about kids growing up with the current series?

  1. #31
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    469

    Default Re: How do you feel about kids growing up with the current series?

    Quote Originally Posted by MayonakaSora View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Pikachu View Post
    Oh, I'm completely fine with it, as long as kids are still watching. It kind of sucks that they won't get to know the old characters, but most kids will stop watching at some point and the ones who don't will probably look it up when they're older.

    I don't actually know kids who watch Pokémon, though. In my country it's currently airing at a sucky timeslot and they don't really advertise it, so it's mostly the older fans who watch the show or buy the games. Now that is sad, kids who don't know Pokémon exists. It's not that they have to like it, but many would if they knew it was there.

    I'd love to know the ratio of older people/kids. I feel as if the older people may be higher tbh
    In the US and Japan, probably not. In my country it might be. Nintendo apparently doesn't want to invest much on advertisements in Latin America because of the whole piracy thing, so Pokémon's not really popular anymore. You don't see Pokémon toys at stores, but they're easy to find in the US and everywhere in Japan, where you can even get Pokémon candy at convenience stores XD Where I live, you might be able to find toys in large cities, but most of what's sold are games, and like I said it's usually by the older fans.
    つまらないものはさっさと消去。

  2. #32
    黒い王様 Archaic's Avatar Webmaster
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    13,153
    Blog Entries
    63
    Follow Archaic On Twitter

    Default Re: How do you feel about kids growing up with the current series?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Fighting Misty View Post
    I think the problem is now that there's 750+ episodes, so unless you're a *really* hardcore fan of the anime, I doubt any little kids are going to make an effort to see every episode.
    The main issue there I think might just have been the availability of old episodes on DVD. Here in Australia, we've had huge box sets covering the first few seasons, but I understand that sort of thing isn't common everywhere. While DVD's of episodes in original broadcast order (as opposed to themed compilations of episodes) have become more common worldwide in recent generations, finding the older stuff I'd expect would actually be fairly difficult.

    Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Pikachu View Post
    In the US and Japan, probably not. In my country it might be. Nintendo apparently doesn't want to invest much on advertisements in Latin America because of the whole piracy thing, so Pokémon's not really popular anymore. You don't see Pokémon toys at stores, but they're easy to find in the US and everywhere in Japan, where you can even get Pokémon candy at convenience stores XD Where I live, you might be able to find toys in large cities, but most of what's sold are games, and like I said it's usually by the older fans.
    I'd be surprised if that was true throughout all of Latin America. It was fairly easy to find Pokémon merchandise when I was in Costa Rica, and there were more than enough store displays, etc. Often, the product they'd have would be out of date, as much as a generation behind, but they still had plenty of it.
    神出鬼没 - shin shutsu ki botsu

  3. #33
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    469

    Default Re: How do you feel about kids growing up with the current series?

    Quote Originally Posted by Archaic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fighting Misty View Post
    I think the problem is now that there's 750+ episodes, so unless you're a *really* hardcore fan of the anime, I doubt any little kids are going to make an effort to see every episode.
    The main issue there I think might just have been the availability of old episodes on DVD. Here in Australia, we've had huge box sets covering the first few seasons, but I understand that sort of thing isn't common everywhere. While DVD's of episodes in original broadcast order (as opposed to themed compilations of episodes) have become more common worldwide in recent generations, finding the older stuff I'd expect would actually be fairly difficult.

    Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Pikachu View Post
    In the US and Japan, probably not. In my country it might be. Nintendo apparently doesn't want to invest much on advertisements in Latin America because of the whole piracy thing, so Pokémon's not really popular anymore. You don't see Pokémon toys at stores, but they're easy to find in the US and everywhere in Japan, where you can even get Pokémon candy at convenience stores XD Where I live, you might be able to find toys in large cities, but most of what's sold are games, and like I said it's usually by the older fans.
    I'd be surprised if that was true throughout all of Latin America. It was fairly easy to find Pokémon merchandise when I was in Costa Rica, and there were more than enough store displays, etc. Often, the product they'd have would be out of date, as much as a generation behind, but they still had plenty of it.
    No, I don't think it's in all of Latin America, I suspect it's fine in Argentina and other countries. It's true in Mexico, though. Or at least in parts of it. I've only ever been in my hometown and a couple other cities, but all I've ever seen in the last few years have been cards and videogames. I remember about 4 years ago it was still relatively easy to find Pokémon stuff. Now I'm getting increasingly more frustrated at the difficulty of finding Pokémon stuff.
    つまらないものはさっさと消去。

  4. #34
    Registered User Frazay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    59

    Default Re: How do you feel about kids growing up with the current series?

    I feel sad, because they didn't get to experience "Poké-mania", from the beginning, like I have. But, telling stories is just as good, I suppose.

  5. #35
    Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    28,646
    Blog Entries
    49

    Default Re: How do you feel about kids growing up with the current series?

    Quote Originally Posted by Archaic View Post
    The main issue there I think might just have been the availability of old episodes on DVD. Here in Australia, we've had huge box sets covering the first few seasons, but I understand that sort of thing isn't common everywhere. While DVD's of episodes in original broadcast order (as opposed to themed compilations of episodes) have become more common worldwide in recent generations, finding the older stuff I'd expect would actually be fairly difficult.
    Well nowadays there is actually legal streaming of episodes online too. I know Pokemon.com officially streams episodes from each saga, although they take them down after a while and replace them with different episodes.

    Another problem is, for the most part, characters from one saga tend not to be relevant in the next. Brock is the only main character who stayed for an unusually long amount of time, every other one of Ash's friends left as their respective series concluded. Its gotten to the point where you don't even have to know who the older characters are to watch Pokemon anymore. It's hard to believe that characters like May and Max, who were once considered, "new characters" are now over a decade old themselves. How old does that make you feel?

  6. #36
    Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Somewhere dreaming forever
    Posts
    4,221

    Default Re: How do you feel about kids growing up with the current series?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Fighting Misty View Post
    Well nowadays there is actually legal streaming of episodes online too. I know Pokemon.com officially streams episodes from each saga, although they take them down after a while and replace them with different episodes.
    I think that they update their list of episodes for different sagas every week since it would be kind of expensive to constantly stream hundreds of episodes.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Fighting Misty
    Another problem is, for the most part, characters from one saga tend not to be relevant in the next. Brock is the only main character who stayed for an unusually long amount of time, every other one of Ash's friends left as their respective series concluded. Its gotten to the point where you don't even have to know who the older characters are to watch Pokemon anymore. It's hard to believe that characters like May and Max, who were once considered, "new characters" are now over a decade old themselves. How old does that make you feel?
    Considering how long Pokemon has been going on, it's really not surprising that kids don't have to know about the older characters in order to watch the more recent series. I think that would be a good aspect for a long-running series to have since if kids had to be more familiar with the older characters and sagas, then it would be more difficult for a new audience to jump into the anime. If it was more of a challenge for kids to jump into the new series, then I don't think that the anime would be as successful as it is now. As for May and Max being a decade old themselves, that doesn't really make me feel old per say. It does make me feel kind of weird, but I don't know if it's the same as feeling old. It just feels strange to think of how I was watching AG for most of my high school years, how that feels like ages ago, which then makes me feel weird, and then I just move onto something else since it's not something that I particularly dwell on for a long period of time.

  7. #37
    pokemon fan 132 pokemon fan 132's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Croatia.
    Posts
    2,686
    Blog Entries
    21

    Default Re: How do you feel about kids growing up with the current series?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Fighting Misty View Post
    Another problem is, for the most part, characters from one saga tend not to be relevant in the next. Brock is the only main character who stayed for an unusually long amount of time, every other one of Ash's friends left as their respective series concluded. Its gotten to the point where you don't even have to know who the older characters are to watch Pokemon anymore. It's hard to believe that characters like May and Max, who were once considered, "new characters" are now over a decade old themselves. How old does that make you feel?
    Which still brings up question. If writers aim is to make easier for new generations to tune with show by making revamps at start of every new generation, than why they return at times older characters new generations might not be familiar with?

    Going by logic how today generations don't watch older sagas we can say how most kids had no idea who Gary, Jessibelle or Jasmine was. If some of them didn't watched any of DP series they probably didn't knew who Dawn was either when making appearance(same applies to previous generations in Hoenn and Sinnoh when Misty or May came back). But writers still brought them not viewing lack of knowledge as some issue if they find their return could be beneficial for anime again. Same applies to Giovanni revival in BW, as well flashbacks and references to past we get from time to time(especially in DP with whole Pikachu evolution crisis).

    So even though format of series is adjusted to new generations, anime is still treated to smaller extent as entity with kids which didn't watched previous sagas and not gaining full picture of it, more likely than not ending confused when things from past sagas pop up.
    This only loses on its quality imo having anime filled with fragments of continuity lacking solid storyline bringing disorder, makes inclusion of past characters and impact they left pointless in first place if we wont see them ever again and loses reputation in eyes of those which are better informed about its history.

    So i don't agree with their decision of keeping references to past to minimum and erasing existence of past traveling companions either when they break this approach with certain exceptions anyway, never mind ignoring fact how long running show with strong continuity which keeps previous main characters in some form relevant can be just as successful.
    With many other shows which exist for long time not having problems with new kids joining proving that.
    Last edited by pokemon fan 132; 5th October 2012 at 04:13 AM.

  8. #38
    Only 70 new Pokemon? Hoopa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,082
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: How do you feel about kids growing up with the current series?

    They throw in the old characters once in a blue moon as a treat for any past fans but those fans are no longer the focus.

  9. #39
    Balmarian Mad Scientist Thanatos-Zero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    24

    Visit Thanatos-Zero's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: How do you feel about kids growing up with the current series?

    It is really a shame with the Pokemon Anime. We loved it, when we were children and expected as we matured, that the series would mature as well. It is sad that children never come to know the old guys, who were so long part of the show. Thrown away like garbage and only taken out of the can for an short lived cameo. Sad isn't it?
    Who of you remembers Akira (A.J.) of the 8th Pokemon Episode? He is one of the one shot characters, who stayed in my mind for more then a decade and has yet to reappear again... Put on a bus, put on a bus...

  10. #40
    Because I can. Caseydia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,787

    Default Re: How do you feel about kids growing up with the current series?

    How do I feel? I feel nothing really. I really don't care whether you're in love with this series or any of the older ones. Most of us are adults and have seen the orginal series anyway, sos we really wouldn't understand what it's like to watch BW without watching any of the other series before that that would grab your interest.

  11. #41
    CottonSheepFairy 33Whimsicott33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Wherever the wind blows
    Posts
    366
    Blog Entries
    18

    Default Re: How do you feel about kids growing up with the current series?

    How does it make me feel... how does it make me feel?


    ...Happy. At such an age of the franchise, there will always be those who didn't know Pokemon in the past. We can always delight in sharing our experiences.
    Magenta Fantasies likes this.
    Oh?

  12. #42
    追放されたバカ
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,156
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default Re: How do you feel about kids growing up with the current series?

    I'm not going to say I like it, because I don't. I guess I'm happy for them, but to see what the show has become over the years...saddened. I wish they'd see the older eps/series instead, and give them a chance to see where a lot of us are coming from, rather than playing the universal excuse on older fans in the form of the "nostalgia" card to discredit any opinions to the contrary. One of my friends' favorite series is DP, yet he actually gives me some points why he likes it the most, and I can definitely understand that. It's when someone just calls you an idiot or a moron or merely nostalgic for liking the older series more that is upsetting to me.

    Sure the show has always been a 30-minute advertisment for the games, but it seems like the writers (and sometimes the dubbers) actually really tried to make a decent show before. Like they actually cared not to rehash everytime, and things were genuinely believable and relatable. There was some realistic emotion present, and I felt like each movie in particular was really special until they just kept making more and more of them.

    The dub...alright, I know 4Kids made countless mistakes and I'm not denying the editing and errors were poor, but I actually enjoyed the show they put out for the most part, and it made me feel like they really cared, for all the crap they did sometimes. With TPCi, it seems like practically everything is done for the almighty dollar. I barely see any promos for the BW seasons anymore, other than 20-30 seconds at the most. The voice acting is...for lack of a better term...not as appropriate as it was in the older dub seasons for the main characters (to me, of course, opinions will differ), and the emotion is often flat and lacks character and passion at many points. Occasionally they'll be really peppy and energetic, showing tremendous emotion (I couldn't be happier with this), and the next episode they'll read their lines flatly and just like they want to get it over with and it's just a job to them. The intros are always about friendship, and lack any variety or substance.

    Let me say, I'm going to die a little inside if the dub ends with Sarah Natochenny's Ash. Something about that feels incredibly dirty to me. I don't know why...I know the original dub VAs are long gone by now, but it still sucks to me for some reason.

    The JPN version has let me down the most, though, don't get me wrong. It's not the dub's fault for some of the godawful writing we've had in Unova. Case in point: the Unova League. That just shot me down entirely, and I came back to reality that Ash's journey will never end until ratings in JPN fall low enough that the show is cancelled entirely. His journey will never end, and that's the saddest thing about it all. The writers have completely screwed over countless characters, replaced them only to replace them with newer ones over and over again, and eventually we're going to reach a point where the character Misty isn't even known by 90% of the fanbase. The show has gone from mostly a 30-minute advertisment for the games to a complete money-making scheme entirely. It's been sad to watch. The Unova Saga felt so new, and I felt it was reviving the series, but the writers' poor skills have really shot down what could've been the series to reunite fans new and old with freshness. *sigh*

    I'm most saddened by the fact in 2 gens I will be deemed a "nostalgiafag" just because I prefer the older Pokemon series to the newer ones. It's very depressing and, for that reason, I've grown quite distant and detached from the series these days. I'm pretty sure unless X and Y blows me away, my journey with the series in general will end with Best Wishes! I've had some great times with the series, and bad times, so I can only hope that kids growing up with the current series respect the old while loving the new. That's all I really want from them. :)

    (To be fair to the dubbers, the dub has really just lost the feel that Pokemon was a unique show to me. It's still a decent dub now, and I'd rather watch it than 85% of the stuff on CN or Nickelodeon now. It's mainly the JPN version's writing that has been adversely affecting the series. The dub just isn't helping matters, I guess). I feel like I'm being a jerk, but that's honestly how I truly feel about the series right now.
    Last edited by Pokémon Master Ash; 8th April 2013 at 05:20 PM.

  13. #43
    A Broken Pokeball ninfiaVI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Pallet Town
    Posts
    95

    Default Re: How do you feel about kids growing up with the current series?

    What do I think of kids growing up with the new anime?
    They're lucky.
    They're getting an amazing show now.

    Especially compared to the original seasons.
    For one, the dub voices. Veronica Taylor's Ash voice was a joke. She gave him the voice of a six year old girl with a throat cold. Jessie and Misty, Brock and James. These two started out with the same voice actors, both of whom were simply awful. May's first voice was too breathy to be real, and Max's sounded too old.
    In contrast, the new dub is amazing. Sarah just keeps improving at Ash's voice-many can't tell that it's a woman when first they hear it. The supporting characters also have amazing voices, especially Cilan, Jessie, James, Stephan, Cameron, and Bianca. Also, all of the Gym Leaders and most minor characters have had great voices.

    Also: Team Rocket. I got sick of seeing them suffer. Seriously. 659 episodes of watching them scream,"Ya Na Kanji". Either the creators were so immature that they thought that kind of slapstick was funny, or they were sadistic. However, Team Rocket has improved so much recently. I like it when they are minor characters like they should be, but still pose a good challenge for the main characters to overcome. I liked their black uniforms, as well as Pierce, a lot, but it was okay when they removed them. After all, the company has to cater to stupid nogalstia fans(not like the one who posted above me: the worse ones). I'm so glad that they only "blast off" four times in Black and White.

    Also, they have started creating better drawings and spending more time animating the show, which gives it an amazing quality.

    All in all, it is a much more high quality show now, and while it may not be as fun as DP, it is worth any minor drawbacks. People growing up with this are seeing the Pokemon Anime at its best.
    QuietDragon likes this.

  14. #44
    追放されたバカ
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,156
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default Re: How do you feel about kids growing up with the current series?

    Quote Originally Posted by ninfiaVI View Post
    What do I think of kids growing up with the new anime?
    They're lucky.
    They're getting an amazing show now.

    Especially compared to the original seasons.
    For one, the dub voices. Veronica Taylor's Ash voice was a joke. She gave him the voice of a six year old girl with a throat cold. Jessie and Misty, Brock and James. These two started out with the same voice actors, both of whom were simply awful. May's first voice was too breathy to be real, and Max's sounded too old.
    In contrast, the new dub is amazing. Sarah just keeps improving at Ash's voice-many can't tell that it's a woman when first they hear it. The supporting characters also have amazing voices, especially Cilan, Jessie, James, Stephan, Cameron, and Bianca. Also, all of the Gym Leaders and most minor characters have had great voices.

    Also: Team Rocket. I got sick of seeing them suffer. Seriously. 659 episodes of watching them scream,"Ya Na Kanji". Either the creators were so immature that they thought that kind of slapstick was funny, or they were sadistic. However, Team Rocket has improved so much recently. I like it when they are minor characters like they should be, but still pose a good challenge for the main characters to overcome. I liked their black uniforms, as well as Pierce, a lot, but it was okay when they removed them. After all, the company has to cater to stupid nogalstia fans(not like the one who posted above me: the worse ones). I'm so glad that they only "blast off" four times in Black and White.

    Also, they have started creating better drawings and spending more time animating the show, which gives it an amazing quality.

    All in all, it is a much more high quality show now, and while it may not be as fun as DP, it is worth any minor drawbacks. People growing up with this are seeing the Pokemon Anime at its best.
    I think the exact opposite on all points, but thanks for sharing, as it gives me a different perspective on the series right now. For me, it's not so much about the animation quality, or the drawings: it's about the characters and the story to me. It's about the emotional moments. It's about what Pokemon does in that it brought a lot of people together just to share in simple moments of everyday happiness. I strongly prefer the dub voices used in the first few seasons as well myself. They sound a lot more like kids than the voices we have now to me for the twerps, and for TRio, they sound more fitting to me. *shrugs*
    Last edited by Pokémon Master Ash; 10th April 2013 at 06:40 AM.
    pokemon fan 132 likes this.

  15. #45
    (-, - )…zzzZZZ Reila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,370
    Blog Entries
    59

    Default Re: How do you feel about kids growing up with the current series?

    I couldn't care less about what the kids are watching while growing up. ^^'

    But to elaborate my post a bit more, well, they are lucky for not growing up watching the Johto saga of the anime.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •