How do you feel about the anime's character designs?

View Poll Results: How do you feel about the anime's character designs?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • They're great!

11 26.83%
  • They're alright.

28 68.29%
  • They're awful!

2 4.88%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you feel about the anime's character designs?

Blog Entries

Default How do you feel about the anime's character designs?

Exactly what the thread title says. This goes for humans only. Do you think they are too simplistic? Does the style blend well with other animes? Do you like the hair and eye designs? Do you think the character designs are too similar to Ken Sugimori's art? Would you like the character designs to change their style? Please discuss!

Default Re: How do you feel about the anime's character designs?

Sometimes there're are background characters that look better than any CoTD. Like the Elesa's fangirls during Bianca's gym battle with her.

Blog Entries

Ash has been fine in my opinion, but some of the others just seemed a bit too outlandish. I'm not too fond of Iris's hair explosion or Cilan wearing formal clothing while on the road. CotD's seem to be ok, not sure what to say about the gym leaders. Maybe there's just too many that are depicted as extremely eccentric, IDK. I don't watch much anime so its hard to compare finer details, but there's room for improvement. I really did enjoy the old eye style better.
    Our goal is to get The Pokemon Company International to return the voice actors from the dub by 4Kids. (seasons 1-8)
    If you're interested, please join us at Facebook and sign our petition!
    We're also open to considering passionate Pokemon fans as staff. Your help is valued; only together may we succeed!

Trophies

Recent designs have just become to unrealistic, unless of course anyone reading this knows anyone with purple or green hair mixed in with the exploded luck! (yes a referance to Cilan and Iris). I dont have a big problem with the clothes, but the hairstyles and the eyes are the worst part for me, I like good old normal hairstyles, Brock and Misty's are both good examples.

ricochet, take your aim Titanium's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Titanium On Twitter Add Titanium on Facebook

Some of the hairstyles need definite work with me. I'll fix them up. (:

Some character's clothing could be a little better. AKA a 10 year girl with a short pink skirt traveling with guys. Dawn's outfit was cute though. I guess it works. These days you see a bunch of little girls running around malls alone wearing skimpy clothing. :P

I thought May's bandana was pretty badass. I do say that they need to work a little better with the guy's clothes though. A little bland, but I guess that's how guys normally dress.. typical jeans and a random shirt. (Cilan is different though. What a great traveling outfit lol.)

Iris.. her hair. o: D:

Quote Originally Posted by mwetwe View Post
    Recent designs have just become to unrealistic, unless of course anyone reading this knows anyone with purple or green hair mixed in with the exploded luck! (yes a referance to Cilan and Iris). I dont have a big problem with the clothes, but the hairstyles and the eyes are the worst part for me, I like good old normal hairstyles, Brock and Misty's are both good examples.
    Misty and Brock had normal designs? That's funny because back in 1998 everyone talked about Brock's eyes or Misty's one sided ponytail. Back then it was unconventional we're just used to it now.

ricochet, take your aim Titanium's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Titanium On Twitter Add Titanium on Facebook

Misty's style looked like she must have been an 80's child.
    Bright orange hair with a side ponytail. Love it.

Trophies

Quote Originally Posted by Gliscor'd View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mwetwe View Post
    Misty and Brock had normal designs? That's funny because back in 1998 everyone talked about Brock's eyes or Misty's one sided ponytail. Back then it was unconventional we're just used to it now.
    I know, thats why I specifically said they have normal styles, I used those as examples. Sorry if I wrote it badly ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium View Post
    Not to mention suspenders. Nobody has worn those since the 80's.

For the most part, I like them because they're distinctive and striking.

But if it were up to me, I'd make them seem more realistic and practical - yes this would entail giving Dent sclerae and Iris a normal hairstyle among other things.

the same i've always been:
    mafia win/lose tally . vocal covers . ffn.net
    . ao3 . tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Gliscor'd View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Titanium View Post
    Not to mention suspenders. Nobody has worn those since the 80's.
    Don't forget the red lightning bolt hi-tops! :P

Plus Brock's vest kind of reminds me of the "life preserver jacket" comment from Back to the Future. And Ash had a demin jacket.

Retro love~

Follow PockyAddict On Twitter Add PockyAddict on Facebook
    Follow PockyAddict on Tumblr Visit PockyAddict's Youtube Channel

half of the main charaters designs (like Ash [only a small bit of him is based of Red] Brock, Misty, May, Dawn, Cilan and Iris) were based on thier game counterparts. Tho Ash ,Brock and Misty had thier clothes changed for the anime.

Anime Misty's design is the one that I kinda like best tho, since it's a bit simple.

I think they do a good job, at least with most of the main characters. In practice, those designs would be really inconvenient (are we supposed to believe Iris doesn't get her hair tangled in all the trees she climbs and stuff?), but if they just looked like regular characters they wouldn't stand out. This is one of the problems I had with Kenny, since his design was too generic and boring for a rival.

Blog Entries

Follow Midorikawa on Tumblr Visit Midorikawa's Youtube Channel

I find that pokemon has been creative with their characters. Anime and game. We see all kinds of styles while other animes may tend to use the same ones making characters look like each other or someone from another anime.

We get unique looking characters and some that look normal. It's great balance.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast