How different would the anime be now if 4Kids still ran the anime and....... - Page 7

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Like Tree88Likes

Thread: How different would the anime be now if 4Kids still ran the anime and.......

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: How different would the anime be now if 4Kids still ran the anime and.......

Not really sure if being dubbed by 4kids would have changed peoples opinions on DP or BW THAT much. Most people who watch them do it in Japanese anyway so the dub has become less important than it used to.

Likewise the actual writing/story/characters of DP and BW would be exactly the same from the Japanese writers, so if you disliked certain events or characters in these seasons it wouldn't be any different. The only thing it would have really helped is DP-era Team Rocket.

Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

Default Re: How different would the anime be now if 4Kids still ran the anime and.......

Quote Originally Posted by The Fighting Misty View Post
    Not really sure if being dubbed by 4kids would have changed peoples opinions on DP or BW THAT much. Most people who watch them do it in Japanese anyway so the dub has become less important than it used to.

Likewise the actual writing/story/characters of DP and BW would be exactly the same from the Japanese writers, so if you disliked certain events or characters in these seasons it wouldn't be any different. The only thing it would have really helped is DP-era Team Rocket.
    Not everyone here follows the Japanese version. I don't at least outside of the preview information/news for upcoming arcs. Though, I agree that the general opinions of those series probably wouldn't change that much had 4Kids dub DP and BW. Their flaws and their strengths would be about the same. I think that there could have been a chance that 4Kids would edit DP a bit more with Chimchar being abused and throwing in a line to imply that Cyrus and Hunter J survived, especially if DP was airing on one of their Saturday morning blocks instead of Cartoon Network after Kids' WB stopped airing it.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

- I wouldn't complain about the voices of the older characters still on the show.
    - I wouldn't complain about the voice acting (hint: Porter is a perfect example of why I don't like it sometimes).
    - I wouldn't complain about the intros.
    - I wouldn't complain about the dub's background music since DuArt took over.
    - I wouldn't complain about the script writing/dialogue for the dub for Ash and Team Rocket.

In short, I know it'd be a better experience for me. I don't know about you guys, but...XD.

Follow PockyAddict On Twitter Add PockyAddict on Facebook
    Follow PockyAddict on Tumblr Visit PockyAddict's Youtube Channel

Ash will still feel like the same ash too me.

But yeah, in BW, 4kids would'nt have to do anything at all, but paint edit a bunch of signs and words.

Blog Entries
    Follow FANG-TAN On Twitter
    Visit FANG-TAN's Youtube Channel

It wouldn't make much difference to me since I don't watch the dub. At the very least, my ears wouldn't bleed whenever I came across a post-Houen dub scene on Youtube.

ぼくの一番大好きなアニメはCCさくらですよ。
    MY ANIME BLOG | YOUTUBE | TWITTER | JAPAN-BEST | SHANA

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

The only drawbacks I can see to 4Kids' continuing on, besides the obvious silly edits and errors, is them slicing and dicing some of DP's scenes. I'm 100% sure Hunter J would've just vanished to the "Shadow Realm" if 4Kids was still dubbing the show.

Hey, just because I think they did a pretty good job with Pokemon, doesn't mean I didn't have problems with 4Kids myself. XD.

That being said, TPCi did a terrible job with DP anyway in my book (except Dawn and Paul...as harsh as her voice was at times, it fit Dawn very well; Paul's seiyu is actually a bit WORSE than Julian Rebolledo, IMO). I don't even think 4Kids could've done nearly as bad with DP as I think TPCi did with it.

At the very least, we wouldn't have had Zoppi Rockets for 4 years. *Takes a bow and exits the stage.*

As for BW, we don't even have onigiri (aka riceballs) anymore. I mean, might as well 4Kids just have kept it at this point since Unova is based of NY anyway! The worst they could do...is paint some kanji and Tajirian away...I mean...the BW dub might've been their best dub yet. It was already practically tailor-made for them when you think about it! xD.

As for the unfortunate passing away of Mrs. Blaustein (R.I.P.) in the dub's case, Nathan Price's Meowth was still largely superior to James Cathcart's Meowth, IMHO. So, Meowth's voice would've still been better than it is right now.

CONCLUSION: All in all, for all the minor losses that we would incur, we'd have had a major gain if 4Kids was still dubbing the anime. I can say without hesitation the English dub would be significantly higher in quality if 4Kids still dubbed the anime right now.
    Last edited by Pokémon Master Ash; 13th August 2013 at 05:16 AM.

Blog Entries

Chimchar was never abused. All the sad scenes would have been cut. He was just sad and scared because he was a pussy, not because of the onscreen actions of his trainer.

Relax and have fun. The Power of Pika's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The show would still have the usual edits and I would never have changed as a person. It was quite likely I would have went Japanese only aswell since I was becoming more and more obsessed with it.

When the VA change happened I actually changed as a person thanks to the switch. I'm not the same person as I was during Hoenn 4kids era.

I have been looking at archives in other forums to get a gist on what I was like back before the switch. I was very different and personally I hope I never go back to that.

To put it nice and simple before the VA change I disliked 4kids before the switch. A old post on one forum I made actually implied 4kids were bad dubbers of Pokemon. This was during Hoenn. I wanted team rocket to take a break because I felt they were getting too weird in Hoenn. I wanted Ash to have an adult male voice for some reason. I do know towards the end I did want someone who could be more like rica if I couldn't have the other voice. I remember comparing Veronica and Rica together for a while aswell.

I wasn't happy with Ash and team rocket and judging by the fact I was actually suggesting changing the actor long before he had the VA change means I wasn't even happy with veronica's direction during Hoenn.

The VA switch made me like the current actors which in turn made me like the old actors. I started to learn about different style approaches and started to appreciate different approaches. Which allowed me to like both.

If the VA change never happened, I wouldn't be the person I am now.

Personally I feel I've become a better person in some ways due to the change. I respect and like both sets of actors as a result of this change. I admit I do still fall flat on my face sometimes when old habits resurface but I get back up and try again.

Life has good experiences and bad experiences. Sometimes it's what you learn from both good and bad that makes you a stronger and sometimes a wiser person in the long run.

As for the show itself. I wouldn't know. 4kids due to problems were changing their tactics quite a bit in later years. I personally find Dinosaur king their best dub. However if they never got into debt and all those issues they may have not bothered to change tactics with some of their shows.
    Who knows what they would have done.

Everything played out a certain way and well if one thing was changed everything may have played out completely differently. Though on the other hand 4kids could have still went down and saban might have even gotten pokemon.

At the moment I suspect edits would still happen as said. Also I can't really imagine what the show would be like with 4kids. It would all depend on the direction they would have made whether they got more edit happy or got better. It would have all depended on their money situation.
    Last edited by The Power of Pika; 13th August 2013 at 11:30 AM.

My name is Daffy Duck, I worked on a Merry-Go-Round, The job was swell,
    I did quite well,Till the Merry-go-round broke down.
    (Hoo-hoo! Hoo-hoo! Hoo! Hoo! Hoo-hoo!)

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pikaminccino View Post
    The show would still have the usual edits and I would never have changed as a person. It was quite likely I would have went Japanese only aswell since I was becoming more and more obsessed with it.

When the VA change happened I actually changed as a person thanks to the switch. I'm not the same person as I was during Hoenn 4kids era.

I have been looking at archives in other forums to get a gist on what I was like back before the switch. I was very different and personally I hope I never go back to that.

To put it nice and simple before the VA change I disliked 4kids before the switch. A old post on one forum I made actually implied 4kids were bad dubbers of Pokemon. This was during Hoenn. I wanted team rocket to take a break because I felt they were getting too weird in Hoenn. I wanted Ash to have an adult male voice for some reason. I do know towards the end I did want someone who could be more like rica if I couldn't have the other voice. I remember comparing Veronica and Rica together for a while aswell.

I wasn't happy with Ash and team rocket and judging by the fact I was actually suggesting changing the actor long before he had the VA change means I wasn't even happy with veronica's direction during Hoenn.

The VA switch made me like the current actors which in turn made me like the old actors. I started to learn about different style approaches and started to appreciate different approaches. Which allowed me to like both.

Personally I feel I've become a better person in some ways due to the change. I respect and like both sets of actors as a result of this change. I admit I do still fall flat on my face sometimes when old habits resurface but I get back up and try again.

Life has good experiences and bad experiences. Sometimes it's what you learn from both good and bad that makes you a stronger and sometimes a wiser person in the long run.

As for the show itself. I wouldn't know. 4kids due to problems were changing their tactics quite a bit in later years. I personally find Dinosaur king their best dub. However if they never got into debt and all those issues they may have not bothered to change tactics with some of their shows.

Everything played out a certain way and well if one thing was changed everything may have played out completely differently. Though on the other hand 4kids could have still went down and saban might have even gotten pokemon.

At the moment I suspect edits would still happen as said. Also I can't really imagine what the show would be like with 4kids. It would all depend on the direction they would have made whether they got more edit happy or got better. It would have all depended on their money situation.
    Personally, Pokemon was not 4Kids' best dub to me, either. It was my favorite of their dubs, but I definitely knew it wasn't their best effort. Actually, I'd say it was Shaman King Uncut! or Dinosaur King as well (they acknowledge Japan for once! LOL). That being said, I totally respect where you're coming from on the issue. I really didn't have any problems with 4Kids, but maybe that's because as after 400+ episodes I was just TOO used to them at that point (if the switch happened at say...150 episodes...it wouldn't have been nearly as grating for me) to accept anything else at that point.

That's why DBZ's switch doesn't even register as a blip on the radar in terms of how jarring it was when compared to this for me. However, I admit I do feel the actual replacements in DBZ were FAR worse than the TPCi cast ever was, even in MoMP...DBZ Season 3 by FUNi was an absolute disaster back in 1999. Bad memories. That, and DBZ actually lets the characters age (something that if Pokemon would let happen, the switch would've been fine in that sense by me). I actually felt Chris Sabat and Sonny Strait were already improvements over Brian Drummond's Vegeta (loved his acting, but his voice just sucked for Vegeta) and Terry Klassen (who was just too wimpy for my liking).

Well, I always liked Veronica's Ash since mid-Kanto (thought she kinda sucked in early Kanto, but she still did good w/emotional moments), and in Hoenn I feel her voice was actually improved for Ash significantly at that point. As for Team Rocket...not to be rude, but I truly feel they were less annoying in the 4Kids dub to me, even in Hoenn where ES lost his touch with James a bit (fruity James still beats super nasally James for me, but it's close). The only good voice James had in the dub was the OLD Eric Stuart from Kanto-Johto.

It depends on if we had the 4Kids that dubbed Zexal (which was no better than TPCi has been for me- half the talent pool is comprised of the same "okay" VAs for me) or the 4Kids that dubbed Dinosaur King! and Ultimate Muscle that I would want back as well. If the latter, I'd take them back in a heartbeat (I loved that 4Kids). If the former...well yeah, I see where you're coming from myself. I must admit, it's been depressing to see their dubs getting so bad since 5D's ended for me. Though, Konami is personally horrifying me as well with their Zexal dub too, and it's essentially just the 4Kids dub again with another company's name slammed on to it. Yet people are okay with that because it's not 4Kids: it's that kind of hypocrisy that bugs me (not what your saying, that's different and a respectable legitimate opinion on the issue).

Well, I'm mixed on how 4Kids did during Hoenn myself. I must say I actually thought 4Kids was getting much better in AG as far as the movies go (they were much worse in the OS here, particularly M01). As far as the dub of the series, I understand and I see that perspective as well. I feel the 4Kids dub was at its best from mid-Kanto to the end of Johto myself. I didn't see much of anything drop at all in their Hoenn dub, barring the replaced music which was the turn-off for me there, but I can understand. I actually liked the dub BGM in Hoenn since it was just repeated from Kanto-Johto, so that didn't bug me too much. xD.

Relax and have fun. The Power of Pika's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by EmotionalTensionPKMN View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pikaminccino View Post

Personally, Pokemon was not 4Kids' best dub to me, either. It was my favorite of their dubs, but I definitely knew it wasn't their best effort. Actually, I'd say it was Shaman King Uncut! or Dinosaur King as well (they acknowledge Japan for once! LOL). That being said, I totally respect where you're coming from on the issue. I really didn't have any problems with 4Kids, but maybe that's because as after 400+ episodes I was just TOO used to them at that point (if the switch happened at say...150 episodes...it wouldn't have been nearly as grating for me) to accept anything else at that point.

That's why DBZ's switch doesn't even register as a blip on the radar in terms of how jarring it was when compared to this for me. However, I admit I do feel the actual replacements in DBZ were FAR worse than the TPCi cast ever was, even in MoMP...DBZ Season 3 by FUNi was an absolute disaster back in 1999. Bad memories. That, and DBZ actually lets the characters age (something that if Pokemon would let happen, the switch would've been fine in that sense by me). I actually felt Chris Sabat and Sonny Strait were already improvements over Brian Drummond's Vegeta (loved his acting, but his voice just sucked for Vegeta) and Terry Klassen (who was just too wimpy for my liking).

Well, I always liked Veronica's Ash since mid-Kanto (thought she kinda sucked in early Kanto, but she still did good w/emotional moments), and in Hoenn I feel her voice was actually improved for Ash significantly at that point. As for Team Rocket...not to be rude, but I truly feel they were less annoying in the 4Kids dub to me, even in Hoenn where ES lost his touch with James a bit (fruity James still beats super nasally James for me, but it's close). The only good voice James had in the dub was the OLD Eric Stuart from Kanto-Johto.

It depends on if we had the 4Kids that dubbed Zexal (which was no better than TPCi has been for me- half the talent pool is comprised of the same "okay" VAs for me) or the 4Kids that dubbed Dinosaur King! and Ultimate Muscle that I would want back as well. If the latter, I'd take them back in a heartbeat (I loved that 4Kids). If the former...well yeah, I see where you're coming from myself. I must admit, it's been depressing to see their dubs getting so bad since 5D's ended for me. Though, Konami is personally horrifying me as well with their Zexal dub too, and it's essentially just the 4Kids dub again with another company's name slammed on to it. Yet people are okay with that because it's not 4Kids: it's that kind of hypocrisy that bugs me (not what your saying, that's different and a respectable legitimate opinion on the issue).

Well, I'm mixed on how 4Kids did during Hoenn myself. I must say I actually thought 4Kids was getting much better in AG as far as the movies go (they were much worse in the OS here, particularly M01). As far as the dub of the series, I understand and I see that perspective as well. I feel the 4Kids dub was at its best from mid-Kanto to the end of Johto myself. I didn't see much of anything drop at all in their Hoenn dub, barring the replaced music which was the turn-off for me there, but I can understand. I actually liked the dub BGM in Hoenn since it was just repeated from Kanto-Johto, so that didn't bug me too much. xD.
    Well I am talking about a past opinion of mine before I changed anyway. I like 4kids now just so people don't get confused.

As for james. Back then I wasn't fond of Eric's approach in Hoenn. Now I look at james personality and look at it from a different perspective. Oddly even looking at James as a character without even thinking actors, fruity James is still my least favourite despite enjoying the jokes every now and then.

Personally James nasally voice doesn't bother me and I stopped noticing when I adjusted. If I had to pick between the different season James, my favourite James is the James that portrays the emotional personality to what I like. I tend to love his emotional side the best.=3
    So for me I prefer emotional james more than Fruity James.

Emotional= Kanto, battle frontier and sinnoh
    Fruity = Hoenn

I realise team rocket are comedy and I'll laugh at any James in that regard and don't mind any of them now.=)
    However my favourite james is emotional in the more serious scenes and really touches me doing so when he has to be. The actor doing it doesn't matter. If the actor no matter who it is achieves the emotional episode then I'm happy.

That's how I think now.

Those old opinions I posted up in the previous post was just a taste of my old personality prior to the switch. To be quite honest as much as I want to discuss my old thinking pattern. I honestly don't even remember all the reasons why I thought that way.XP
    However I do admit I've fallen flat on my face a few times slightly moving back to old habits on occasions. Not to the full extent obviously but enough to make me notice and jump back out. I changed but there's still a few kinks to iron out every now and then as they say.^-^;;;;

I just wanted to take a different approach to the whole if 4kids had kept the show and the switch never happened. Sorry if this is so confusing. I'm literally flipping between how I am now versus how I use to think.

As for the music of the dub.
    Yeah 4kids using the same dub music in Hoenn as they did in kanto and Johto didn't really bother me in sense of annoyance. I just had heard them a million times and wanted to hear more new music than we got. The Japanese version was quite a refresher for me so I thought more japanese music would help.

Now days I personally think I would have liked more new dub tunes to look back on for Hoenn that were specifically tailored to hoenn than what we got. Also it would have been nice the tunes we did get could have been released on CD.
    We got the openings and the rap. Where was the rest of the new Hoenn dub music?=(

I feel 4kids really missed a chance back then personally.

Anyway I could see 4kids using the same old music right to the very end of the show.=/
    Last edited by The Power of Pika; 14th August 2013 at 10:54 AM.

My name is Daffy Duck, I worked on a Merry-Go-Round, The job was swell,
    I did quite well,Till the Merry-go-round broke down.
    (Hoo-hoo! Hoo-hoo! Hoo! Hoo! Hoo-hoo!)

Registered User charizardmaster125's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I see that there be very little difference in how the show would be handled if 4Kid's had retained their contract. As some have pointed out, we'd have the same small pool of voice actors, the same dub music, all the theme songs would have been better being written and produced by John Seigler and David Rolfe, editing rice balls to sandwiches etc, you can tell that I'm just echoing what others have said on this thread.

I can still imagine that Paul would have been voiced by Dan Green and that Dawn might have been voiced by Amy Palant both of which I could see as good fits and Team Rocket would have been better written in my opinion, all of their nursery rhymes in DP got old and stale very fast and they didn't do that nearly as much under 4Kid's. I don't know whether they've rhymed in the Japanese version though.

The movies, I could see them retaining their original score since that practice began with Movie 4, barring the theme songs of course.
    http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/images/signaturepics/sigpic58355_1.gif

When Ash's Charizard gives you a thumb's up, you know that he'll be back soon!

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by charizardmaster125 View Post
    I see that there be very little difference in how the show would be handled if 4Kid's had retained their contract. As some have pointed out, we'd have the same small pool of voice actors, the same dub music, all the theme songs would have been better being written and produced by John Seigler and David Rolfe, editing rice balls to sandwiches etc, you can tell that I'm just echoing what others have said on this thread.

I can still imagine that Paul would have been voiced by Dan Green and that Dawn might have been voiced by Amy Palant both of which I could see as good fits and Team Rocket would have been better written in my opinion, all of their nursery rhymes in DP got old and stale very fast and they didn't do that nearly as much under 4Kid's. I don't know whether they've rhymed in the Japanese version though.

The movies, I could see them retaining their original score since that practice began with Movie 4, barring the theme songs of course.
    I've seen a big difference in the level of quality of the voice actors and the dub music. Utilizing a small pool of actors to its greatest potential takes more skill and effort than having a large pool of actors but doing a mediocre job with them (basically how I feel the two dubs contrast with one another). I feel 4Kids was notably superior in those aspects myself. *shrugs*

The dub would be much better now, IMO. The voice actors would fit nicely, the dub music would still have a tune to it, and the dialogue would feel natural and less disjointed. Not to mention the intros like you did already.
    pokemon fan 132 likes this.

Blog Entries

It would be Really Better than Now I think.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chocadial View Post
    It would be Really Better than Now I think.
    Yeah, I got the feeling that as stupid as they were sometimes with the edits and errors they made, they still put some real time and effort into the dub. TPCi doesn't seem to exert near that amount of passion or energy 4Kids put into it, and that makes the English version a lot less enjoyable for me. It feels more stale and dry than ever now.

I always felt like they cared about us older fans with some of the jokes Team Rocket said like "To protect the world from all this itching and chaffing...it might even stop Jessie's...*pause*...complaining." You can clearly see what complaining would've meant. LOL.

What really stands out is how much...humbler...the dub felt before the switch to me. It felt like an enjoyable show because of how sincere it felt. Since the switch, it doesn't feel that way to me.

I know everyone hates 4Kids because of how awful some of their other dubs-- not all (e.g. One Piece and Mew Mew Power) were, but here, they did a fantastic job. I can't bring myself to hate them because of that on this one.
    Last edited by Pokémon Master Ash; 14th August 2013 at 05:51 PM.

Electrifyingly Adorable Sakuraa's Avatar

I actually feel that it might be worse. I assume we'd still be getting edits to certain violent scenes; possibly including Hunter J's ship exploding, Looker threatening Team Plasma with pipes, Cynthia threating Jupiter with Garchomp's fin and other things. I also believe that the dialogue wouldn't be as close to the original Japanese version.

As for the voices, I honestly don't care that much. While I do prefer the 4Kids voices for the original main characters, I have no problem with the new ones, so that is the least of my concerns. Overall, I guess I actually prefer TPCi's version over 4Kids.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast