How Did EP033 Get Such Huge Ratings?

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Adamant
  • 1 Post By Dogasu
  • 1 Post By 97SaturnSL1

Thread: How Did EP033 Get Such Huge Ratings?

Default How Did EP033 Get Such Huge Ratings?

I was reading Dogasu's Backpack and saw this for EP033:
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu View Post
    This episode, in Japan, earned the series its highest TV ratings ever at 18.6%. As in, no other episode of any of the various TV series was watched by as many people as this one.
    First of all, this is a filler episode of all things, and wasn't really that interesting of an episode. Now if this was an episode like EP049, I would understand, but it wasn't. Could it be that Japan just really loves Ponyta/Rapidash or was this a fluke? And it was aired November 11, 1997. I don't think it was a holiday or anything in Japan. And I don't think they over-advertised this episode (Like the banned banned Plasma episodes). So what could of made this one perticular episode so popular?

Default Re: How Did EP033 Get Such Huge Ratings?

That statistic is probably innacurate.
    How do you "measure" TV ratings? If the data is wrong, the statistic isn't accurate. And I'm not sure how the rating is taken, but I assume it's done through surveys and such. It's all an estimate so there's no way that the data can be completely correct (unless someone were to literally monitor every citizen's TV at the time of every Pokémon episode airing).

Quote Originally Posted by Xenidal View Post
    That statistic is probably innacurate.
    How do you "measure" TV ratings? If the data is wrong, the statistic isn't accurate. And I'm not sure how the rating is taken, but I assume it's done through surveys and such. It's all an estimate so there's no way that the data can be completely correct (unless someone were to literally monitor every citizen's TV at the time of every Pokémon episode airing).
    Dogasu checks his stuff, so I'm pretty sure it's legitimate if he deemed it worthy to put in his comparison.

The ratings comes from specialized research companies (I believe Video Research Ltd), and are absolutely reliable. They can be found on dozens of Japanese fansites.

As far the actual question... you're reading way too much into it. An episode's rating has little to do with its quality or actual content (though it can be related to its promised content) since... well, obviously people don't know what the episode will be like until they watch it.
    So why is this the highest rated episode? Pure coincidence. The ratings were mostly the same for all the episodes to air at that point in time (the previous episode had a rating of 18.3%). The show had been on air for a while and had built a fanbase, the Porygon incident that probably scared some people off it had yet to happen, this was at a time when people watched broadcast television a lot more than they would in the near future (hence the ratings for every TV program on air dropping steadily over the next 10 years), and the fact that it was November and thus got dark early probably didn't give a 7PM TV show lower ratings.

But in short, it was just a coincidence it happened to be this episode and not 32 or 34 or something.
    Bubble Frog likes this.
    So.

You both misunderstand me. I'm saying that by the nature of the way the research is conducted (it depends mostly on surveys since no one directly monitors the TV usage of all the citizens of Japan), the data is flawed by nature. No survey is ever completely accurate and many don't even come very close. So many errors can occur depsite how hard you try to prevent them. It's extremely difficult for anyone to get completely accurate data, even a reputable research company.

Anyway, even if the data is not completely accurate and this epidoe is not actually the most-watched episode when it first aired, this at least shows that this episode is up there (assuming the research was consistent for all episodes). As for why it is up there, I'd say all episodes released around that time are probably up there, due to many of the reasons that Adamant said. Except I don;t agree with the Porygon part. I would think that the Porygon episode would have had the opposite effect... the series was temporarily banned so I'm sure that tons of fans were eager to watch it when it was finally back on-air, which should have resulted in Pikachu's Goodbye being the most-watched episode at the time of first airing.

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

But that's assuming that parents would be OK with letting their kids start watching it again in the first place. I'm sure there was a significant number of parents who saw how this "Pocket Monsters" show caused all kids to go to the hospital and were like "hell no I'm not letting my kid watch that."
    HumanDawn likes this.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on April 20th, 2014

| My DVD Collection | My Video Game Collection |
    These lists were last updated on January 3rd, 2012

Princess of Sinnoh martianmister's Avatar

I find it very interesting that there is no big drop on ratings after the Porygon accident.

アニメのサブタイトル一覧 - ポケモンWiki
    1. Satoshi/Ash Ketchum: 801 episodes
    2. Team Rocket: 736 episodes
    3. Takeshi/Brock: 633 episodes
    4. Kasumi/Misty: 282 episodes
    5. Hikari/Dawn: 201 episodes
    6. Haruka/May: 197 episodes
    7. Masato/Max: 192 episodes
    8. Iris: 141 episodes
    9. Dent/Cilan: 138 episodes
    10. Kenji/Tracey: 44 episodes

Quote Originally Posted by martianmister View Post
    I find it very interesting that there is no big drop on ratings after the Porygon accident.

アニメのサブタイトル一覧 - ポケモンWiki
    What are you talking about? There's a huge drop right there, from 17-18% to 14-15%.
    So.

Princess of Sinnoh martianmister's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Adamant View Post
    What are you talking about? There's a huge drop right there, from 17-18% to 14-15%.
    There is no reason to believe that this is related to Porygon incident. That much change on ratings always happen on the show, just look at BW's ratings.
    1. Satoshi/Ash Ketchum: 801 episodes
    2. Team Rocket: 736 episodes
    3. Takeshi/Brock: 633 episodes
    4. Kasumi/Misty: 282 episodes
    5. Hikari/Dawn: 201 episodes
    6. Haruka/May: 197 episodes
    7. Masato/Max: 192 episodes
    8. Iris: 141 episodes
    9. Dent/Cilan: 138 episodes
    10. Kenji/Tracey: 44 episodes

Proud Pokeservative! 97SaturnSL1's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If any thing is "banned" or controvecial useually in the States the ratings go up because of that
    djulienr likes this.