Has the term "Shiny" ever been used in the anime? - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Has the term "Shiny" ever been used in the anime?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Has the term "Shiny" ever been used in the anime?

Quote Originally Posted by Joshawott View Post
    The only time shiny Pokémon has appeared in the dub since TPCi started using the term was the Zoroark movie, but to my memory, no one really commented on them being a different colour in the movie anyway.
    Actually, Team Rocket noted that the beasts that weren't tearing up the city were a different colour from the ones that were. Still didn't use the term "shiny", though.

Who am I? Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by YamiiDenryuu View Post
    The only time shiny Pokémon has appeared in the dub since TPCi started using the term was the Zoroark movie, but to my memory, no one really commented on them being a different colour in the movie anyway.
    Actually, Team Rocket noted that the beasts that weren't tearing up the city were a different colour from the ones that were. Still didn't use the term "shiny", though.
    I had a feeling they might have done so I put in my DVD, but I couldn't find the scene when they first appeared.

It wouldn't surprise me if the term is used from now on though, as following Black and White's release, the term is now official.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by YamiiDenryuu View Post
    I had a feeling they might have done so I put in my DVD, but I couldn't find the scene when they first appeared.

It wouldn't surprise me if the term is used from now on though, as following Black and White's release, the term is now official.
    It wasn't when either the beasts or TR first appeared, if I remember correctly. It was actually in the later half of the movie, since TR and the beasts' paths hadn't crossed until then.

... But that's not important. Um, since the next shiny is that Onix in BW2, I guess we'll find out then?

I poke your snoot UnovaCastaway's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You forgot the shiny Golurk/ Hydreigon in the 14th movies. I don't remember if anybody commented about their colors, though.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by UnovaCastaway View Post
    You forgot the shiny Golurk/ Hydreigon in the 14th movies. I don't remember if anybody commented about their colors, though.
    I don't remember them doing so in either movie.

I always hated how people use "Shiny" despite no official source ever using it... I always went with "Shining" due to the TCG using this term... I know it may not seem like much of a difference, but I have to wonder why people didn't stick to the only official source who actually gave it a name at the time
    It seems like "Shiny" was eventually accepted officially, so I guess I'll have to forget what these ancient cards established and just use "Shiny" from now on
    Which reminds me how no main character ever caught a shiny since Ash's Noctowl... a shiny Buneary could fit Dawn so much (since it's pink instead of yellow, and Dawn had lots of pink: on hat, boots, Pokédex, Pokétch, Platinum outfit and Contest dress...)
    I wonder if they'll ever let a shiny get into the main cast again

Quote Originally Posted by Piplup View Post
    I always hated how people use "Shiny" despite no official source ever using it... I always went with "Shining" due to the TCG using this term... I know it may not seem like much of a difference, but I have to wonder why people didn't stick to the only official source who actually gave it a name at the time
    The TCG's "Shining" is a completely unrelated term, and is called "hikaru" in Japanese, as opposed to "iro-chigai". The only reason someone would mix the up in the first place would be because the fan term "shiny" coincidentally happened to be similar to it.
    So.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamant View Post
    The TCG's "Shining" is a completely unrelated term, and is called "hikaru" in Japanese, as opposed to "iro-chigai". The only reason someone would mix the up in the first place would be because the fan term "shiny" coincidentally happened to be similar to it.
    How is it "completely unrelated term" when it was a term used to describe these differently colored Pokémon?...
    It was the only official term for these differently colored Pokémon at the time... or at the very least, it was officially how these kind of Pokémon were referred to in the TCG and I can't see how anyone can deny it
    I'm not sure if the fan made "shiny" term came before or after the TCG's "shining", but whatever was the case, "shining" was the official term until the official sources decided to adopt the fan made "shiny" (which I admit isn't really that of a difference, but I think they should've been consistent and just stick to "shining")

Funny thing is, the name Shiny came about due to a game mechanic used due to technical limitations. Gold and Silver were released on Game Boy Color, but compatible with the original Game Boy, where the lack of colour makes Shiny Pokemon's alternate colouration impossible. So a shining animation and a audio alert were used to indicate that the wild Pokemon you just encountered was Shiny. Those indicators have been obsolete since Crystal, but they've been maintained ever since regardless.

I doubt that's the reason, they probably just wanted to make it easier to notice the Pokémon you just met is a "shiny"... not everyone will immediately realize something is "wrong" with its colors, so even with colors in newer games, it helps to notice when you actually meet one

I'm not sure if the fan made "shiny" term came before or after the TCG's "shining", but whatever was the case, "shining" was the official term until the official sources decided to adopt the fan made "shiny" (which I admit isn't really that of a difference, but I think they should've been consistent and just stick to "shining")
    No, it wasn't. "Shining" was the official translation of the TCG's "hikaru" term, which was separate from the video games' "iro-chigai" term. The TCG cards that came out in more recent years featuring alternate-colored Pokemon (those that had no special name on the card itself, but were secret rares) were called "iro-chigai" in Japanese marketing. The "shining/hikaru" cards were a completely different beast.

Also, unlike "iro-chigai", "hikaru" does translate to "shining". That's why it was used on those English cards.

(and yes, I'm pretty sure fans called alternate-colored Pokemon "Shiny Pokemon" long before the "hikaru" TCG cards came out.)
    So.

No, it wasn't. "Shining" was the official translation of the TCG's "hikaru" term, which was separate from the video games' "iro-chigai" term. The TCG cards that came out in more recent years featuring alternate-colored Pokemon (those that had no special name on the card itself, but were secret rares) were called "iro-chigai" in Japanese marketing. The "shining/hikaru" cards were a completely different beast.

Also, unlike "iro-chigai", "hikaru" does translate to "shining". That's why it was used on those English cards.
    Did the gen 2 games really use "iro-chigai" though? I thought the games didn't really give it a term at all, back then...

Did the gen 2 games really use "iro-chigai" though? I thought the games didn't really give it a term at all, back then...
    I assume they did, because I know the anime did, and I doubt an anime-invented term would've become franchise-wide like that.

I looked at an English game script, and I'd be willing to bet both these quotes used the term iro-chigai in the Japanese version: "Maybe you get a higher score for a POKEMON of an unusual color." "If a POKEMON has different colors from usual, it's more valuable. What? You mean that's not true?".
    Likewise, it was presumably used in official guidebooks and such.
    So.

I assume they did, because I know the anime did, and I doubt an anime-invented term would've become franchise-wide like that.

I looked at an English game script, and I'd be willing to bet both these quotes used the term iro-chigai in the Japanese version: "Maybe you get a higher score for a POKEMON of an unusual color." "If a POKEMON has different colors from usual, it's more valuable. What? You mean that's not true?".
    Likewise, it was presumably used in official guidebooks and such.
    OK then, though I'm still not sure why the TCG would ignore it and make up its own term to refer to these Pokémon... meh, they should've been more consistent with it (especially with how apparently the English version wasn't even consistent with their in-game translation to "iro-chigai")

I'm pretty sure in the anime, Winona, the leader of the Fortree Gym in the Hoenn Region, had a shiny Swellow, and I think they said something about it being 'shiny'.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast