Has the term "Shiny" ever been used in the anime?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Has the term "Shiny" ever been used in the anime?

Blog Entries

Default Has the term "Shiny" ever been used in the anime?

Title
    Please "like" this page to help Portugal! We want to have Pokémon in HD! Please "like" this.

Also, sign this petition (you can sign by writing your Name and E-mail address on the "bolded" blanks and then clicking in "Assinar Petição")

Trophies

Default Re: Has the term "Shiny" ever been used in the anime?

I havent watched johto, AG or DP series recently, so if it has been used, it will be in these series

It is not used in BW due to the fact only one shiny has been featured. The english dub could be made so one of the characters describes it as shiny, we wont know for a long time.

In Kanto and orange Island, it is not used as I have recently watched this series.

I'm a servant of the lord Midorikawa's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Midorikawa on Tumblr Visit Midorikawa's Youtube Channel

They always refer to them as oddly colored or differently colored I believe. I can't remember them ever calling one shiny.

Blog Entries

I'm pretty sure the only time they have been called Shiny was in B/W games, but not the anime or any other media. Could be wrong though.

I don't think the actual term was ever used in the anime. However, I remember in DP, Barry commented on how Ash's Noctowl looked different from other Noctowls.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aura7541 View Post
    However, I remember in DP, Barry commented on how Ash's Noctowl looked different from other Noctowls.
    Like mwto said, they've always been refering shinies to ''oddly colored'' Pokémon, and that was just another case of that. Even in the Metagross episode, where the Metagross was popular to look completely different in comparision to normal Metagross, it was only refered to being oddly colored.

I can't recall anyone using the term ''Shiny''.
    ''A single thread in a tapestry though its color brightly shine, can never see its purpose, in the pattern of the grand design.''

Blog Entries

Follow Bubble Frog on Tumblr

Barry:Hey look! Ash's Noctowl is some type of Shiny color!

I guess that constitutes.
    Jaden and UnovaCastaway like this.

Blog Entries

Follow HumanDawn on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Gotpika View Post

Barry's English voice actor visits this site. It wouldn't be surprising if he saw the fan term and ad libbed it in.

A confirmation would be nice, though :P @JamieMcG;
    djulienr likes this.

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Human View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gotpika View Post

Barry's English voice actor visits this site. It wouldn't be surprising if he saw the fan term and ad libbed it in.

A confirmation would be nice, though :P @JamieMcG;
    Uh, if Barry really said that, wouldn't he had meant "Shiny" as in "sparkly shining color"? I don't think he would've actually used the term "Shiny" as we gamers do...

Add Kelleo on Facebook
    Visit Kelleo's Youtube Channel

I believe Barry actually says "Wow, Ash's Noctowl is a rare shiny color!" but yeah, he does use the word "shiny" in his sentence. :P

Blog Entries

Ok, thank you all!
    Please "like" this page to help Portugal! We want to have Pokémon in HD! Please "like" this.

Also, sign this petition (you can sign by writing your Name and E-mail address on the "bolded" blanks and then clicking in "Assinar Petição")

Caught in a lab romance~ Araragi-hakase's Avatar Head Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Araragi-hakase On Twitter
    Follow Araragi-hakase on Tumblr

I wonder if in the anime, if all shiny Pokemon are always the same color scheme? Surely part of what makes them special is that they're not always the same color, even if it's that way in the games.

Moe
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Highway Unicorn View Post
    I wonder if in the anime, if all shiny Pokemon are always the same color scheme? Surely part of what makes them special is that they're not always the same color, even if it's that way in the games.
    The anime established the idea that Pokemon can be changed by their diet and environment, particularly in relation to the Pinkan Berries on the Orange Islands - so at least previously there's been non-standard but not shiny coloured Pokemon. Though I think more recently all non-standard coloured Pokemon have been their shiny counterpart.

One thing I'd probably note is that on the bulbapedia page it mentions that one of the Japanese terms for shiny Pokemon is simply 'differently coloured Pokemon' - so it's hard to say in many cases if that's specifically referring to shiny ones or not, so perhaps the ambiguity of translation might be a problem, as Shiny seems to just be an English term even now it has the official usage in the games. So it would be up to whoever is translating it to notice that the Pokemon being referred to as differently coloured is indeed shiny.

It doesn't help that in the next case of this coming up - the Green Onix - that 'shiny' isn't really a good description for it.

"Shiny" has always been a fan term, and even if the official translators and marketers have apparently caved in and used it a couple times recently, it's not something you could really expect the dubbers to have used. Why would they?

The official Japanese term is "iro-chigai", "differently-colored", and that term has been used dozens of times throughout the anime to refer to these specific colorations (and only these. It's not ambiguous, it's a very specific game term). It was used in the recent Season 2 episode 3, too.
    So.

Who am I? Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Adamant View Post
    "Shiny" has always been a fan term, and even if the official translators and marketers have apparently caved in and used it a couple times recently, it's not something you could really expect the dubbers to have used. Why would they?.
    While it originated as a fan term, it has since been adopted as an official one (like Eeveelution). The Trading Card Game was the first official medium to use it, with the Entei, Raikou and Suicune tins, but the first games to use it were the Black and White games. The only time shiny Pokémon has appeared in the dub since TPCi started using the term was the Zoroark movie, but to my memory, no one really commented on them being a different colour in the movie anyway.

The official Japanese term is "iro-chigai", "differently-colored", and that term has been used dozens of times throughout the anime to refer to these specific colorations (and only these. It's not ambiguous, it's a very specific game term). It was used in the recent Season 2 episode 3, too.
    It's sort of like how the Japanese have always had a term for Mythical Pokémon (maboroshi no Pokémon), but it wasn't until around the same time that TPCi started using the term "Shiny" that we were introduced to the term "Mythical Pokémon". "Mythical Pokémon" has since been used in the English anime, so I don't see why it would be any different to "Shiny".

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast