Gen VI and the dub

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: Gen VI and the dub

Moe
    Blog Entries

Default Gen VI and the dub

With the Gen VI games set for a simultaneous release, does anyone think it would be possible for the anime to get the delay between the original and the dub down anywhere near that close? We've already seen it get much shorter than in previous generations, how close does everyone think they could get, or won't it matter?

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

Default Re: Gen VI and the dub

I can't think of a single weekly animated series that's had simultaneous (or near simultaneous) dubs, ever.

Most companies struggle just to get same day subs up.
    Owain likes this.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on April 14th, 2014

| My DVD Collection | My Video Game Collection |
    These lists were last updated on January 3rd, 2012

Not even my final form GreatLiver's Avatar

They'd also have four or so months of catchup to play. Dubbing isn't like translating text, where stuff like SJA can be simulreleased because it's just words. They may do something for the first episode, but even that seems unlikely because it would be jumping a lot of stuff that wouldn't have yet aired here.

Blog Entries

The fact that episodes are dubbed and ready for airing in English-speaking territories within 3 months of their Japanese air date is in of itself a lesser miracle (the season 15 finale aired in the UK 88 days after Japan). If they want something ready for the game launch TPCi will probably have the first two or three episodes of Xciting Yarn dubbed and ready to go as a sneak peek sort of thing a la 4Kids and the first 2 AG episodes. Other than that, well, we'll just have to wait a couple of months.

Moe
    Blog Entries

Still though I couldn't really see the BW anime continuing for months after the next generation of games was out. The UK showing some episodes before the US at the end of both Black and White and BW: Rival Destinies shows there's probably some room to speed things up a bit - even if simply to get BW finished before the new games release, show the first few episodes of the XY series and take a few months off.

The simplest solution would be if the next generation anime started a few months before the games were out in Japan - then there could be a similar length of time between them without the dub episodes being about the old games for a long time.

Blog Entries

I don't think this will affect anything, since the only way it can be fixed is if somehow the voices are recorded simultaneously for the raw and dub. Even then, we have a lot of lag to catch up on in a small amount of time. I don't think it's going to happen. Gen 6 will begin, but the anime will have to wait 5 months or so like it always does.
    Step into the Fairy circle

Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

I didn't think of the impact the worldwide release would have on the dub. I definitely can't see the series starting on the same week as the games are released. Even if they aired the rest of BW quickly, they couldn't dub the same episode the week it comes out in Japan. That would be most likely way too difficult. I could see them airing the first couple of episodes as a sneak peak, similar to what 4Kids did with AG, when X and Y come out, but other than that, the dub wouldn't start for another couple of months or so.

Blog Entries

God I just know the theme song is gonna blow.

X WILL MARK THE SPOT

FOR OUR HEARTS TO OPEN

Y WILL BE THE KEY

TO LET OUR JOURNEY BEGIN

DUN NU NU NU

POKEMON X and Y!

BETTER KNOT YOUR TIES!

POKEMON X AND Y!

SOMETHING GENERIC CRAP!

POKEMON!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu View Post
    A lot of people point out that Pikachu beat Regice and is therefore super powerful, but I tend to ignore that because it was such a bullshit victory. That wasn't a showcase of how powerful Pikachu had become; it was simply terrible, terrible writing.

Blog Entries

TBH, the dub ios recorde3d when the episodes hasn't aired in Japan. And the gap of 114 days in the US will be shorthen to 93 days in April. With the movie breaks we will go to 80. Add some specials and we're near 2 month.

I think that will be a delay between anime and games like BW but at reverse. And I see doing three things to back up:
    Speeding through BW, air the first episodes of XY and long break.
    Air BW, air the first episodes of XY, continue airing BW and airing Pokemon XY since episode 1.
    Air the episode like now, but the Pokemon Y series start in Japan in September.
    martianmister likes this.

MEGA F'ING AMPHAROS!!! Ampharos King's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm expecting a delay with the airings of the TPCi dub. There is already a delay with TPCi dubbing episodes in their respective languages. I doubt the Japanese version of the XY anime and the dubs of the anime in several languages will air simultaneously.

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by fer92
    Speeding through BW, air the first episodes of XY and long break.
    The English dub tries to avoid having any sorts of breaks these days. Season 16 is starting up the week after Season 15, for example.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on April 14th, 2014

| My DVD Collection | My Video Game Collection |
    These lists were last updated on January 3rd, 2012

Looks like the anime will undergo big changes come October as well:

The Pokémon Company president Tsunekazu Ishihara noted in a comment regarding Tuesday's announcement about the new Pokémon X and Pokémon Y games that similarly to the new games, the franchise's anime, films, card games, and merchandise will "also enter a new dimension."

Pokémon Head: Anime, Cards*to Also 'Enter New Dimension' - Interest - Anime News Network

and in terms of the dub playing catchup, what if they air the 3 month gap of episodes to catch up by september, take a break before october, then start airing the new anime in october... and attempt to go simultaneous with japan until the holidays, they take a holiday break for a month.., and have at least a 1 month gap between shows again..

Who am I? Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu View Post
    I can't think of a single weekly animated series that's had simultaneous (or near simultaneous) dubs, ever.

Most companies struggle just to get same day subs up.
    There was Kurokami: The Animation (which funnily enough, debuted in Japan and America on this day 4 years ago). But I doubt that went well, as I haven't heard of the practice being repeated.

In my personal opinion, the UK anime has always been behind the US (Aside from the rare occasion where we get a few episodes ahead due a holiday marathon or something) and it was never such a big deal.

RONALDO!!
    Blog Entries

No change in the dub department, they'll keep dubbing, its up to the networks to keep airing...

Cartoon Network?? Maybe

CITV?? Maybe Not
    For the last time, BW is NOT a reboot.
    (Copy and paste this to your signature if you agree)

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees4life View Post
    No change in the dub department, they'll keep dubbing, its up to the networks to keep airing...

Cartoon Network?? Maybe

CITV?? Maybe Not
    Yep, I checked the schedules for the next week, no Pokemon on CITV, not even reruns. That's a concern.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast