Filler percentages, saga by saga - Page 10
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Filler percentages, saga by saga

Blog Entries

Default Re: Filler percentages, saga by saga

Quote Originally Posted by Afrojisiac-19 View Post
    I really want to consider the episode wher Sudowoodo learned Hammer Arm a filler, but then again I don't remember what else happened in that episode to be honest...
    Introduction of Looker and minor development in the Galactic plot... even if the episode wasn't focused on Sudowoodo and Hammer Arm, it was non-filler for a different reason.

connosieur of excellence MasterTrainer's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Sinnoh's just 18%? But why did it feel like FOREVER?

A Poke-fan for over 10 years.

Because Sinnoh was still 191 episodes. It was the longest we ever spent in a single region.

Previous was of course the infamous Johto saga, which had 157 episodes.

Quote Originally Posted by Thingamajig View Post
    Introduction of Looker and minor development in the Galactic plot... even if the episode wasn't focused on Sudowoodo and Hammer Arm, it was non-filler for a different reason.
    Ampharos Train! Looker Appears!

Yes, had those other things NOT taken place in the episode, i'd consider it a filler...I still don't see the point of that move...

So far, Best wishes has had no fillers.

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

So far, but that third episode felt like one of those other episodes where they'd tack a capture to the beginning of an otherwise filler episode. If it wasn't for Mijumaru being captured, the whole episode would have been a filler. And a rather boring one at that.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on August 8th, 2014

SOOOOONANSU!!

Sinnoh's just 18%? But why did it feel like FOREVER?
    because it *was* forever, lol. Its the longest single saga we've ever had at 191 episodes. Johto was 158. AG's total runtime was split between 2 sagas. No one is denying it was long.

Episode 5.
    Maybe it was the first time Thunderbolt was used, but I don't remember them actually saying something like "oh look Pikachu learned a new move!" unless it was in the japanese version and not the dub.

Yeah, BW has had no filler so far, but then again...DP's first filler was arguably DP 21, the Magikarp episode, so we shouldn't jump to the conclusion yet that BW will have less filler based on 6 episodes.
    Jessie and James together forever!!!

AAML forever!

Colorado is EVIL!!!! Save me!

Eternal defender of Tracey Sketchit. Brock lovers beware ^_^.

"Like the moon over
    the day, my genius and brawn
    are lost on these fools" - Bowser, Super Mario RPG

It's an anime that's not based off of a manga. It's either all filler or no filler

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketshipper View Post
    Maybe it was the first time Thunderbolt was used, but I don't remember them actually saying something like "oh look Pikachu learned a new move!" unless it was in the japanese version and not the dub.
    It wasn't flat-out stated, no, but it was made extremely clear that Pikachu learned Thunderbolt through the power-up session it went through.
    So.

Yeah, BW has had no filler so far, but then again...DP's first filler was arguably DP 21, the Magikarp episode, so we shouldn't jump to the conclusion yet that BW will have less filler based on 6 episodes.
    Johto's first filler was the 4th episode. :/

Although I did like Ash taking an interest in a Donphan for the first time. Not like we knew he'd get one 400+ episodes later.

"Ya See We Want an Evolution!"
    Well, at least to me, recurring character appeared = non filler
    Magikarp salseman's only appearance in DP was in this ep... and so far he appeared at least once every series
    Yes, he's not really important to the plot but meh...

"Cooking up a Sweet Story!"
    I guess it IS a filler, but I have to note how much I liked it that this ep was based on berries and baking cakes from them, then next ep was about Dawn learning to make Poffins from berries, then the ep after Pachi messes up the performance and Dawn's gets an idea, and next ep we see the idea was to use the Poffin she made to calm it down... it's like all 4 eps were somehow connected and built up to this... it's nice and I think you can find more similar examples to this in other DP eps
    (I know it's still a filler I guess, just wanted to say this, regardless to the whole filler and non-filler talk)

"Drifloon on the Wind!"
    Well, this ep did explain why they're all called Joy, if you want to count this...

Bibarel Gnaws Best!"
    First BW ep - we see the Focus Band that Ash recieved in this ep

"Luxray Vision"
    I think you said you count game events? it wasn't really a game event but we did see a certain game item in this ep... I think it's called Old Charm but I can't remember what the hell it did in the games...

"Sleight of Sand"
    Cassidy and Butch's only DP appearance... while you might not count the Magikarp salseman, I think you have to count this...
    Also, the fact Hippopotas returned in this ep already makes this a non filler

"The Bells Are Singing!"
    - first time the Pokéchic magazine appeared, which Dawn constantly mentions later
    - first time we learn about Pokésylists, which is mentioned later in the Hearthome Collection and the Celestic Contest with Lila
    - both of these points are eventually important in the final DP ep since because of these stuff Dawn decided not to go with Ash to Kanto
    - James mentions his Chimecho and Nanny and Pop Pop... with a flashback... continuity
    - Gligar uses its attacks for the first time ever (sounds similar to me to when a Poké learn a new attack)
    - Buneary gets its vest which it will constantly wear later
    Yeah, lots of "little" stuff, but I sure count them... I can see why this ep would seem very fillerish to most of people, but it really isn't...

"Arriving in Style!"
    Mentioned in the final DP ep and leads to Dawn not going to Kanto with Ash

"Doc Brock!"
    Mentioned later and the events of it lead to Dawn earning Mamoswine's trust

"Get Your Rotom Running!"
    Well, now I admit I'm exaggerating, but I consider Oak a "recurring character appearance" and the Old Gateau is showcased for the first time and it's mentioned again in that "Pokémon Hustle" ep... also, the Old Chateau is a game location, even if they changed the place it's supposed to be in and the whole concept of this location in the game...

"Hold the Phione!"
    Filler, I know... I just wanted to say again how nice it is that the episode before Dawn has a Contest and uses the bunny in the Contest, we get an ep that focus on the bunny... Dawn also reveals she plans to use Bunny and Pachi, we see her training with them and buying new seals for the Contest...
    I like how DP often makes you feel like all eps are connected to each other, rally feels like it's all one big story, which it is...

"Three Sides to Every Story"
    At the end of the ep Johanna talks with Dawn and reveals the Twinleaf Festival, where we'll spend the next 4 eps

"A Faux Oak Finish!"
    At least for me - part of an arc (more than one ep story) is automatically not a filler

"The Treasure Is All Mine!"
    Recurring characters + Continuity + backstory for James...
    How can that be a filler?

tldr, these should definitely not be counted as fillers:
    Sleight of Sand
    The Bells Are Singing
    Arriving in Style
    Doc Brock
    Three Sides to Every Story
    A Faux Oak Finish
    The Treasure Is All Mine
    Last edited by Piplup; 26th October 2010 at 07:58 AM.

The Magikarp salesman is not important enough to make something non-filler.

The Chingling filler is definitely a filler, nobody cares about minor details.

Same for, "three sides to every story."

MEGA F'ING AMPHAROS!!! Ampharos King's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Are we to assume that canonical material can't be "filler?"

As far as I am concerned, "filler" is the writers' way of creating a storyline that has no direct influence of changing or adjusting the characters involved.

"3 Sides to Every Story" may have material at the end that connects it with events of future episodes, but the overall plot does not affect the story at all. Piplup NEVER (and I mean never) goes back to thinking about the Marill that he fell in love with.

This is like saying that the Ditto episode before the Sinnoh Grand Festival wasn't "filler" because Ash and co. arrive at the Valor Lakefront site at the end. Are we to assume that the 19.5 minutes before this was not "filler," not biding time?

Certain episodes, such as "Doc Brock" and the Chingling episode, do affect the storyline in some way. What Brock taught Ash and Dawn about what berries to pick ends up helping Dawn in a future episode. In the Chingling episode, we both address the origin of Buneary's jacket and Dawn's interest in Pokestylists. At the end of Diamond and Pearl, Buneary personally received the attention of a famous modeling firm that wants to sponser her. This was the starting point of all that.

Of course, everybody's definition on "filler" is based on personal opinion. My opinion as far as "filler" goes... Does the immediate storyline (regardless of who appears or what happens) have any influence on past or future events? Are certain characters introduced in this episode that appear later?

A good chunk of DP becomes filler if you don't care about Pokemon learning new moves, training, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Gliscor'd View Post
    A good chunk of DP becomes filler if you don't care about Pokemon learning new moves, training, etc.
    This

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast