Female Pikachu in the Anime?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Female Pikachu in the Anime?

Moe
    Blog Entries

Default Female Pikachu in the Anime?

Don't really think this is worth a thread, but I've looked around and can't find much discussion beyond that about confirming Ash's Pikachu's gender - but I was wondering whether the Anime has ever shown a female Pikachu, as in actually drawing one with the heart shape tail?

If it's something they haven't done - does anyone think that they just don't want to show gender differences on the mascot Pokemon? Or just that Pikachu are usually shown in the context of a comparison to Ash, like with Volkner and therefore use Male ones to make the closest comparison.

Default Re: Female Pikachu in the Anime?

Haven't we seen like a total of two other Pikachu since the introduction of the gender differences, and those Pikachu had to be the same gender since it was a plot point that they could easily be mistaken for Satoshi's?
    So.

I seem to recall seeing a whole group of Pikachu early on, but I'm pretty sure it was before gender differences were introduced...
    Quote Originally Posted by Zima
    My childhood just had a gun shoved up its ass.

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Nytie View Post
    I seem to recall seeing a whole group of Pikachu early on, but I'm pretty sure it was before gender differences were introduced...
    ^Seconded. There was this episode where Ash's pikachu met a bunch of other pikachus in some forest, and all of them looked the same. I think it was Pikachu's Goodbye. And another note - it was BEFORE Gen II, so no gender differences.

Blog Entries

Gender differences were officially introduced in the games in Gen IV.

If I'm remembering things correctly, there haven't been many gender differences shown except Hippowdon and Frillish, which are the very obvious ones to spot. In my opinion the Anime doesn't want to show gender differences in general (with rare exceptions) rather than just for mascot Pokémon.

Moe
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Adamant View Post
    Haven't we seen like a total of two other Pikachu since the introduction of the gender differences, and those Pikachu had to be the same gender since it was a plot point that they could easily be mistaken for Satoshi's?
    Yeah, but they could easily have made some other episodes to include it. They even went to the Trophy Garden in the Anime, a place with a lot of wild Pikachu in the games. It seems like an odd, but deliberate omission.

Quote Originally Posted by Taiki View Post
    If I'm remembering things correctly, there haven't been many gender differences shown except Hippowdon and Frillish, which are the very obvious ones to spot. In my opinion the Anime doesn't want to show gender differences in general (with rare exceptions) rather than just for mascot Pokémon.
    Which seems odd, especially when there's a huge reliance on Attract in BW so far, which compounds the oddness of most Pokemon always seeming to be the same gender - though there's been no BW Pikachu besides Ash's so that's not all that important. Just makes it more odd they bother to introduce them in the first place, the Anime is the perfect place to point out that you could get a slightly different looking version of the same Pokemon, they've done it with Shiny Pokemon much more frequently.

Blog Entries

There were more gender differences than just those two pokemon, but they were the most notable. Trust me, there have been enough gender differences to assume that they do matter. I don't know why they've never shown a female Pika, either. I sort of think it would be interesting to see. (and also to see if Ootani has a female derivative of the Pika voice. Probably not since it's already really high) Although some problems exist if a female Pika DOEs show up. How would Ash's Pika react? I hardly think anything, even romance, would separate Ash and Pika. Would they have to go their separate ways, or would Ash be convinced to allow them to stay together? (which would also create further problems since it would further limit the pokes he has on hand, and it would create an unnecessary redundancy) I'd hate it if Pika's chances at happiness were destroyed simply because him and Ash can't be separated. Of course, all of this can be avoided by simple Pokemon of the Day Syndrome. (they're just friends)
    Step into the Fairy circle

Blog Entries

This idea would have been cute years ago, but I'd find the writers turning it into an episode now jarring. Pika's been getting enough focus in BW, so granting a fun episode to it when any of Ash's other Pokémon could have taken its place doesn't bode well with me.

I could see Pika getting a crush on it and Ash being all "durr" like he usually is if this ever did become an episode, though. I do wonder if it'd be a seductress, though (evil Togepi 2.0?). xD

Quote Originally Posted by Moe View Post
    Yeah, but they could easily have made some other episodes to include it. They even went to the Trophy Garden in the Anime, a place with a lot of wild Pikachu in the games. It seems like an odd, but deliberate omission.
    Deliberate, sure, but not odd. The anime very rarely showcases Pokemon who are currently active members of the group unless they specifically want a counterpart to the group member (the starters being exempt from this to a degree, since their status as starter Pokemon makes them showcased as most trainers' first Pokemon). It's not unique to Pikachu.
    So.

Serperior rules us all Catilena1890's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Catilena1890 On Twitter
    Visit Catilena1890's Youtube Channel

I don't see how they could have a female pikachu in the anime at this point. Having more than one in any given episode would be a pika-overload, since Ash's is practically in every episode already.

The writers generally try to stay AWAY from genders at all in the anime, and only mentioned attraction when Brock hit on the various women in the show. If they showed pokemon with obvious gender differences at all, it was a very minor role. They mostly do this out of respect for the overly-sensitive american and european dubbers. The japanese trust their children not to go knocking each other up just because they happen to see an obviously female pokemon, but the rest of the world feel that is not the case with their own kids *my opinion and reasoning of it anyway*. If not, then they just don't want to take the focus off whoever the mascot of that generation is. God forbid someone OTHER than Oshawott or Pikachu gets the focus.

EDIT:

Not to mention, you can't find pikachu in Unova in the anime. Characters often fangasm when they see Ash's pikachu. Unless they are going to get rid of him, they won't introduce a female pikachu at this point in time.

Add ToxicShock on Facebook
    Visit ToxicShock's Youtube Channel

Ash's Pikachu is male as (apart from it's tail) it's been shown to become infatuated with female pokemon

MEGA F'ING AMPHAROS!!! Ampharos King's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The problem is that we have not really seen wild Pikachu in the anime.

I believe the last time Pikachu were shown in the wild was "Goodbye Pikachu," an episode that was written and constructed well before the fourth gen of games decided to surprise us with gender differences. Since the writers had wanted Ash's Pikachu to be the main Pikachu in the anime, they were reluctant in introducing other members of the species unless it was for a good reason (Ritchie, for example). Most of these trainer-owned Pikachu were seen in the anime prior to the fourth generation so we never had the opportunity to see it animated in the female form.

Quote Originally Posted by Taiki View Post
    May's Venusaur was shown with a seed on her back in the Wallace Cup in Sinnoh which confirmed that she was female.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pokemonsquared View Post
    There you have it. This is the closest to female Pika we're probably ever going to get. (Yes, I know I'm slow)
    martianmister likes this.

Through the magic of MSPaint, here's a female Pikachu...

Leggo and martianmister like this.

Blog Entries

Oh, sure, you put a female Pikachu in an MD Commercial.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast