The Dub: Non-canon, or just a separate continuity?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Dub: Non-canon, or just a separate continuity?

Blog Entries
    Add Glitchipedia on Facebook

Default The Dub: Non-canon, or just a separate continuity?

Title says it all. In cases where the dub obviously deviates from the original Japanese version, do you consider these events entirely "non-canon" or just part of their own continuity?

I'm not talking about things like sandwiches rolling down hills. I mean actual plot or characterization differences, like English!Mew (Movie 1) not being a huge bigot, or 4Kids' heavy emphasis on PokéShipping which, if it existed, was much more subtle in the original.

In short, a "separate continuity" would consider, for instance, Satoshi and Dent to be different characters from Ash and Cilan, existing in what amounts to an alternate universe, rather than merely thinking of Ash as "English!Satoshi".

Myself, I have no real opinion on the matter, I'm just curious what the rest of you think.

YouTube projects advertised are in early development and subject to change.

Default Re: The Dub: Non-canon, or just a separate continuity?

TPCi and 4kids aren't real. They didn't happen.

Well, if there are slightly different characterisations that are consistent the whole way through, then the dub has its own continuity. Anything else is non-canon. Like in DP when they kept saying contests were annual when they clearly weren't, TPCi should just be ignored for making a stupid edit.

My way of thinking is closer to separate continuity, because I can't consider something officially released as non-canon, whether it makes sense or not.

In any case, by "Mew being a huge bigot", are you talking about Mew saying that clone Pokémon are inferior because they're copies in the Japanese version? Because that's a completely fake rumor, Mew only says that the original Pokémon won't lose to the clones if neither are using their moves in the Japanese version. That's pretty much it.
    Unlike Sarah Natochenny, our current voice actor for Ash is not a sound-alike. The character's personality has also severely changed due to the voice actor switch.
    Please sign on "FIRMAR", and help us make Ash Ketchum's voice actor return! We Latin American fans would really appreciate it!
    Edit: We've reached the goal of 10000: Gabriel Ramos is currently planning his return! Thank you everyone!

Blog Entries

I personally think that any dub that changes events should be considered it's own continuity, while any dub that remains faithful to the original is the same, just with a dubbed language. For Pokémon, it tends to be a mix of both, but I'd say the dub would be it's own continuity because of, as mentioned, the FirstMovie!Mew not being a bigot and such varied choices throughout the dubbing process.

Blog Entries
    Add Glitchipedia on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Gabo 2oo View Post
    In any case, by "Mew being a huge bigot", are you talking about Mew saying that clone Pokémon are inferior because they're copies in the Japanese version? Because that's a completely fake rumor, Mew only says that the original Pokémon won't lose to the clones if neither are using their moves in the Japanese version. That's pretty much it.
    I stand corrected, thank you for clearing that up.

YouTube projects advertised are in early development and subject to change.

Blog Entries

Do you guys mean Mewtwo?...-.-
    A true friend freely, advises justly, assists readily, adventures boldly, takes all patiently, defends courageously, and continues a friend unchangeably.
    -William Penn

Quote Originally Posted by Hinokou View Post
    Do you guys mean Mewtwo?...-.-
    There's a rumor on the internets that Mew has a line (translated by Nyarth) in the first film about how the clones are unnatural and have to die. Its line is actually Mew saying it believes the originals will win.

It's like the "Butterfree die after mating" rumor that's heard a lot.

Separate continuity works for me. I'm a huge fan of 4Kids work with Pokemon, so seeing their dub as another show on it's own rather than just some wrong version of the Japanese version is nice. Same way I see Yu-Gi-Oh Duel Monsters, I don't want to acknowledge it as ruining anything, I'd rather pretend everything's fine with that justification. I hold no similar bias in favor of TCPI though, and watch the subs of episodes they do, so no comment on them for this question.

If you're not asking for 'opinion' I guess 'its own continuity' makes sense.

If you just want each one's opinions, well, I just consider the dub non-existent as far as script goes.
    When I saw the differences between Shigeru and Gary's lines during Joutou prior to the league that was when I picked this mindset.

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

It's a shame that the overwhelming majority of the fans in the Western world are stuck with the dub continuity, never realizing that a lot of what they think they know was pulled out of 4Kids / TPCI's asses.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on March 23rd, 2015

As a Pokémon fan, I kinda feel the responsibility to correct those people who stick with the dub and dub-based continuity if it's relevant to the story. Not exactly convincing them to watch Japanese, but at least be aware that a lot of what they know might not be that way originally.
    Unlike Sarah Natochenny, our current voice actor for Ash is not a sound-alike. The character's personality has also severely changed due to the voice actor switch.
    Please sign on "FIRMAR", and help us make Ash Ketchum's voice actor return! We Latin American fans would really appreciate it!
    Edit: We've reached the goal of 10000: Gabriel Ramos is currently planning his return! Thank you everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu View Post
    It's a shame that the overwhelming majority of the fans in the Western world are stuck with the dub continuity, never realizing that a lot of what they think they know was pulled out of 4Kids / TPCI's asses.
    So did Richie ever evolve his Eevee or what?

It's probably stuck in limbo forever, never to be seen or retconned out until the Japanese version says that he has caught an Eevee or not.

someone in the dark garrison-san's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow garrison-san On Twitter
    Follow garrison-san on Tumblr

Whenever the dub gets too carried away with making stuff up, there's always the risk that it will come back to bite them on the butt pretty hard, as it did with Lola.

Lola is, pretty much, the singular reason why I'm not inclined to view particularly radical dub changes as "canon", more a misinterpretation of what's actually happening.

Turning over a new leaf KaiTheAirbender's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don't even consider it non-canon or a separate continuity. They're the same series to me, except one is the original Japanes version and the others is a dub with some alterations because of translation errors or TCPI just being stupid. I don't pay much attention to the differences because in the end, I just don't care. To me, there's no separate continuity and the dub is still canon.
    "You think you can kidnap Jinora and all these baby bisons!? >:U"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast