Dogasu's Backpack Discussion - Page 75

Page 75 of 145 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785125 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,125 of 2164
Like Tree263Likes

Thread: Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

Blog Entries

Default Re: Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

I thought the reason why Ash was training Gible was because Wilma only trains dragon Pokemon which are owned by other trainers?

If anyone was being asshole-ish in this case it was Grandma Wilma for not even wanting to help Gible, who had to try and learn Draco Meteor (prior to Ash) simply by watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryuutakeshi View Post
    Um, Dogasu? Doesn't the RYUU part have something to do with dragons?
    About as much as the word "isolation" has to do with ice.
    So.

Blog Entries

I don't see the issue with the name even if ryuuseigun has nothing to do with Dragons (in terms of the name). It still doesn't change the fact that said move is still a dragon type move.

Seems I stirred the pot with my comment. What took your folks so long to reply?

Quote Originally Posted by Yamato-san View Post
    well, I do pick up on a lot of kanji from gazing at numerous raw scans of a town in Australia. That, and I'll tend to memorize a new term I hear from characters after doing a dictionary look-up (especially when I'm subbing). 'Course, it helps that I took some Japanese classes years prior and have a pretty good understanding of the grammar. I guess my point is that, while thinking one could learn Japanese just by watching subbed anime is a horrible yet sadly common misconception (seriously, we're all kinda past that stage where we construct single-word sentences after our parents repeatedly pester us with "Say Mama/Papa" and hoping it builds from there; second languages just don't work that way), it can still be quite helpful if you've had prior guidance as to how the language works. Either way, one expecting to learn the language better sit their ass down and make some effort to really study it at some point or other.
    It's helpful if you've done the necessary prep-work (like you did Yamato -- took some classes prior). It's actually really cool to be able to follow along. The folks who go into a show, series, or film expecting to learn from it solely? They aren't doing it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamant View Post
    People who want to watch the series or movie? I don't think there's that many movies and TV series dubbed or subbed into every language in the world.

Hell, there's a good amount of people here who stream the newest Pocket Monsters episode without knowing a whole lot of Japanese.
    Yes yes, if you like something a lot, you'll watch it regardless. But the caveat to that is, you at some point are going to watch it in your own language or get some kind of translation to understand it. One doesn't instantly pick up on a show he or she cannot understand without clarification either prior to or after viewing.

I know you're refering to the Pokemon raws and Pokemon Sunday each week. But if you weren't a fan of Pokemon and tried to get into it from a neutral standpoint, you'd probably move on to something else. (or maybe not? I'm assuming right now, and it could be that you're the rare gem in the sand).

Quote Originally Posted by Delrihuzz View Post
    atmosphere does a lot. I watch raw versions of the japanese tv show Rock Fujiyama continuously. I don't understand a single word, but I love it nonetheless.

When I watch a raw episode of Pokémon, the only thing I care about is what I see and *wondering what is being said*. Some people are easily entertained.
    That's great, and I can agree with ya. But now go watch the latest indie film hit from France, or go see what's playing on the German primetime slot.

You couldn't play a game like Pokemon if you couldn't read what was written (with no prior training). So if the episodes were never dubbed (or even subbed) and there was no official information ever produced in English, you'd have no idea who any of the characters were or what the plot was about.

You like Pokemon because you were able to play the games. You like the anime because you were able to watch translated and dubbed episodes. You've have had prior indication as to what events are transpiring, even if what is on screen doesn't make sense at the time.

Now, I should probably just go ahead and eat the words of my previous quote because I did say watch and not play. Plus, there are people who still end up playing through the raw ROM of the games when it's released.... but even in those cases, the players have had previous experiences (in play Pokemon games) and know what to expect.
    V Faction: Bulbatized

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3136 - 6603 - 1330

I watched several anime series without any sort of translations before knowing a single word of Japanese. I know a good deal of people who got into Dragonball and Sailor Moon by getting the German channels that aired them through their satelites without knowing any German. Pretty much everyone here watched subtitled American cartoons before they could read and thus be able to follow the translation.

It's... quite common, actually. If you want to watch a series and there's no understandable translation available, you either live with not catching everything that happens, or you don't watch at all.
    So.

Moderator harryheart's Avatar Moderator

In Battling a Cute drama did they play the BF theme music? Just wondering whether that occured or my ears decieved me
    Credits to Sweet May and DanChimchar from Serebii
    For the Banner

Blog Entries

I think I found another "it's the dub's fault" error. Or "it's Ash's fault."

Barry/Jun already knows Ash caught Gible which is why he's throwing a fit because he saw Ash/Satoshi releasing Gible.

Satoshi being obnoxious makes no sense because of Satoshi's tone. Satoshi didn't have a mean tone that would be equivalent to "Suck it up loser I already caught it."

Ash and Satoshi should've referred long before this like the beginning of the episode. Remember Ash tried to catch it, Gible ate the Pokeball, then Officer Jenny got involved. Gible "ran away" and both Ash, and Jenny were chasing it and then Barry got involved, and he tried to catch it.

Both versions should've been referring to that moment, just based on Dawn's/Hikari's comment. Since if you only refer to the events of this episode, it wasn't Gible that was following Ash it was Ash who was following Gible. But Dawn/Hikari's comments of "Gible followed Ash here" refers to Gible following Ash in the beginning of the episode, followed by Ash saying "I was trying to catch it before you showed up" which is exactly what was happening. Ash was trying to catch Gible before Barry/Jun ever showed up.

In fact Sushi's translation fits my assessment as well.

Of course the following dialogue also fits my assessment as well (if you ignore Sushi's translation).

Barry: Come on Ash you should've said so in the first place.
    Ash: Excuse me I tried to but you wouldn't listen.

At what point after Ash caught Gible did Ash or Satoshi ever make the effort to tell Barry/Jun off. The only person talking at that point aside from Barry who was being pissed was Brock, he was the first person besides Barry who said anything about anything in that scene.

Onduru ruragittan disukaa Garren's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Draco Meteor a literal fan-name?

I swear I remember there was a contest to name it. Perhaps that explains the translation?

EDIT: Damn, Bulbapedia doesn't mention, but I swear I remember reading this. Please someone tell me I'm not crazy.
    EDIT2: Alright, mentioned in the Discussion Page, but it was the Japanese name. Nevermind.

Although I do think the Japanese name is probably a pun though...seems like it's the case.
    Last edited by Garren; 1st June 2010 at 06:29 PM.

«Hardest VA Job ever!» Netto Azure's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wow, we were watching the First Movie on the way home from San Francisco and kinda noticed...that Togepi was one of the only Pokemon not cloned. And that was after I said, "Why not put the pokemon in the Backpacks!" XD

Oh my, the first season is LOLZ. XP

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm glad Dogasu doesn't think Gible is all that great either. That being said Gliscor was a much funnier and more memorable Pokemon.

Onduru ruragittan disukaa Garren's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think so too.

Although I haven't watched many episode with Gible in it, definitely put me in the Gliscor camp. Dude shouldn't have left like he did. :/

That being said, I kind of hope Gible gets to stay around for a bit in the next series and do some stuff at least.

Dogasu

Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu's Backpack
    I also have a bit of an issue with the dub making Jessie out to hate learning, especially since we saw her spend an entire episode taking notes at Dawn's and Zoey's battle not two episodes ago.
    It's just comedy speak, not to be taken seriously (especially during a blast off of all things). Neither you nor any other fan should worry about the dialogue being used. It's often full of quick retorts, comical jabs, and alliterative speech. It's no more concrete than the all the silly puns that get thrown around.

Blog Entries

This isn't the first time the dub has dumbed her down, and it's still annoying to have your favorite characters rewritten so badly. I doubt most fans even realize what the Rocket-Dan really act like.

I think a lot of them do realize how they can be, which is why the Rockets can be such a touchy subject.

Take Meowth's love episode for example. We all know that it's just a gag episode. Meowth wouldn't be staying with another Pokemon forever; the gang isn't being broken up; the Rocket dyamic will continue for eons to come. But it's still a comedy act that gets put on display for us anyway. They do it despite us knowing the outcome. It goes without saying that no matter how goofy TR acts or how crazy they get with their mottos, they're part of one cohesive unit and possess traits that tell us "THIS is Jessie, THIS is James, THIS is Meowth."

Blog Entries

That doesn't change the fact that TPCi will probably butcher that episode when they get round to it because of the way they choose to write Meowth.

Nyarth-centred episodes and Meowth-centred episodes may as well be two completely different things.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 2nd February 2013, 05:32 PM
  2. 2nd February 2013, 05:11 PM