Dogasu's Backpack Discussion - Page 74
Page 74 of 147 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684124 ... LastLast
Results 1,096 to 1,110 of 2204

Thread: Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

«Hardest VA Job ever!» Netto Azure's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

Although I understand Dogasu using the Originals name it's still hard for me to follow when I have to Google each term everytime.

But that's fine I really liked reading the Manga Movie guide for the Zoro'ark movie. Although the Arceus one got me confused when I watched the movie. XD

Follow Delrihuzz On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Netto Azure View Post
    Although I understand Dogasu using the Originals name it's still hard for me to follow when I have to Google each term everytime.
    continuously read Bulbapedia entries. It helped me loads to understand the japanese (or original) names to the pocket monsters.

or bookmark this

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by MisterUrban
    Dogasu, do you have a favorite non-Kanto/OI saga in the anime?
    Shin'ou is my favorite, without a doubt.

I only think Kanto is OK, and I didn't really care for the Orange Islands all that much.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Masked Marauder
    To be fair, that doesn't mean someone would think the original was "weird".
    "Weird" does not mean "bad."

Quote Originally Posted by Netto Azure
    And I have to look up English names all the time.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on December 18th, 2014

A black and white world Blackjack Gabbiani's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu View Post
    "Weird" does not mean "bad."
    I know that, but that was the word you used.

Sucks, doesn't it, Koffing?

Just playing.
    V Faction: Bulbatized

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3136 - 6603 - 1330

Shin'ou is my favorite, without a doubt.

I only think Kanto is OK, and I didn't really care for the Orange Islands all that much.
    I think the Sinnoh saga was in a way a reimagining of the pokemon anime and franchise in general. They shed off a lot of the older clutches they had in Johto and AG. TR was still the same and some old characters made appearances, but at least it was bearable.

The biggest factor was the addition of Hikari/Dawn as permanent co-star to Ash, who brought a different dynamic to the show. That was probably the plan from the beginning, to make a companion unlike the previous girls. Taking advantage of the fact that a whole new generation of fans will be more perceptive to the new show, without nostalgia holding them back.

From now on, I except the heroes for all upcoming main Pokemon games to be older. Ash and Dawn being the last of a tradition of pre-teen protagonists.

«Hardest VA Job ever!» Netto Azure's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Delrihuzz View Post
    continuously read Bulbapedia entries. It helped me loads to understand the japanese (or original) names to the pocket monsters.

or bookmark this
    Once I stop Cloud Computing and own my own NetBook I will. But thanks. So many series vie for my time so memorizing the Japanese names will take much of my time if I do. XD

I find it amazing how translations can have such effects on the learning of others. Surely if Nintendo/4Kids/PUSA used the original names we wouldn't need this dichotomy of names. But alas even other countries have their terms for various Pokemon. It's fun to watch the old PokeRap in various languages after all *Listens to Ierukana*
    Last edited by Netto Azure; 27th May 2010 at 10:30 AM.

If I see a picture of the main character, my brain immediately identifies him as "Satoshi." Not Ash. There's no translation process, either. When I think of these characters, I think of them as they appear in the original version. The dub plays no role in how I see these people.
    not to mention picturing him being played by Rica Matsumoto. Anyway, you pretty much perfectly described how I see the show and its characters today. XD But to be fair, I'm pretty sure all of us (you included, I assume) started off "defaulting" the dub. The Pokemon fad hit during an age when the internet was just starting to pick up, and you weren't so liable to find illegal downloads (or legal streams) of just about EVERY animated show playing in Japan right now as you are today. Prior to that, the only people who could've known about Pocket Monsters were hardcore importers or people familiar with that seizures incident.

Quote Originally Posted by V Faction View Post
    Who would watch a show, or movie even, that they couldn't understand without a dub or subs? Who watches entertainment to learn another language?
    well, I do pick up on a lot of kanji from gazing at numerous raw scans of a town in Australia. That, and I'll tend to memorize a new term I hear from characters after doing a dictionary look-up (especially when I'm subbing). 'Course, it helps that I took some Japanese classes years prior and have a pretty good understanding of the grammar. I guess my point is that, while thinking one could learn Japanese just by watching subbed anime is a horrible yet sadly common misconception (seriously, we're all kinda past that stage where we construct single-word sentences after our parents repeatedly pester us with "Say Mama/Papa" and hoping it builds from there; second languages just don't work that way), it can still be quite helpful if you've had prior guidance as to how the language works. Either way, one expecting to learn the language better sit their ass down and make some effort to really study it at some point or other.

Yup, classes again. I'm gonna be at this for a while.

Who would watch a show, or movie even, that they couldn't understand without a dub or subs?
    People who want to watch the series or movie? I don't think there's that many movies and TV series dubbed or subbed into every language in the world.

Hell, there's a good amount of people here who stream the newest Pocket Monsters episode without knowing a whole lot of Japanese.
    So.

A black and white world Blackjack Gabbiani's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yamato-san View Post
    Prior to that, the only people who could've known about Pocket Monsters were hardcore importers or people familiar with that seizures incident.
    Known about or been familiar with? There's a pretty big difference.

I tend to default to a mix. Like I tend to think of Ash with his Japanese voice, but Giovanni is always Ted Lewis to me (including versions Lewis doesn't actually play, such as the games or Special).

Follow Delrihuzz On Twitter

Who would watch a show, or movie even, that they couldn't understand without a dub or subs? Who watches entertainment to learn another language?
    atmosphere does a lot. I watch raw versions of the japanese tv show Rock Fujiyama continuously. I don't understand a single word, but I love it nonetheless.

When I watch a raw episode of Pokémon, the only thing I care about is what I see and *wondering what is being said*. Some people are easily entertained.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterUrban View Post
    The biggest factor was the addition of Hikari/Dawn as permanent co-star to Ash, who brought a different dynamic to the show. That was probably the plan from the beginning, to make a companion unlike the previous girls.
    Dawn's not a permanent co-star. We'll be saying goodbye to her in roughly 3 months.

But it is nice to see a character not named Ash get a lot of screentime. Misty and Brock would have loved to get this type of screentime, and May to a lesser extent, although she got more Contests than Dawn in the end anyway.

Registered User Trainer Gabriel's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Sooo, is anyone else excited we have new comparisons?

Sentinal of Anistar Ryuutakeshi's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

I also think "Draco Meteor" is a weird name for the main attack of this episode because the Japanese name (ryuuseigun) doesn't have anything in there that has anything to do with dragons.
    Um, Dogasu? Doesn't the RYUU part have something to do with dragons?

Evil Figment (7:59:44 PM): Ryuu, however shakily you started, I've got to hand it to you that you earned my respect the hard way.

In glorious technicolor The Outrage's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ryuutakeshi View Post
    Um, Dogasu? Doesn't the RYUU part have something to do with dragons?
    I think that's the pun, but the direct translation of the name would be Meteoric Swarm and not Draco Meteor.