Dogasu's Backpack Discussion - Page 53

Page 53 of 145 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103 ... LastLast
Like Tree263Likes

Thread: Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

connosieur of excellence MasterTrainer's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

Thanks for finally fixing the links! That place seemed so beat up before.

You'd better keep up the links section otherwise the newbies would be too left out. The bulbapedia list of fansites was practically my roadmap to Pokemon in cyberspace! And I still use it quite often.

Hey, why is that "So you want to learn Japanese?" article removed? That pepper.idge.net link works just fine!

A Poke-fan for over 10 years.

A black and white world Blackjack Gabbiani's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by the latest update
    And, while they were at it, 4Kids decided to go ahead and establish the fact that Psyduck even has a headache in the first place. In the Japanese version, we have no reason to think the pokemon has anything wrong with it until the second half of the episode.
    ...other than that its pokedex entry establishes that it ALWAYS has a headache.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu's Backpack
    And while I'm on the subject of Kyou; why in the world did Nintendo of America change his name in the first place? What's the point of changing one Japanese name to another? Gah!
    Bulbapedia lists Koga's name origin as: "From 甲賀流 Kōga-ryū, a school of ninjutsu." And well, he is a ninja

But if you ask me, that's... about as impactful to an audience with English as its native tongue as Kyou would be -- certainly compared to some of the more punnish English names like 'Brock' and 'Misty'.

So you've got me!
    V Faction: Bulbatized

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3136 - 6603 - 1330

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm surprised you find Koga boring, I don't see what makes his character worse than some of the other Gym leaders.

It is odd that Aya gets to come back after this for a Johto ep. It seems like the writers liked Aya more than Koga, giving her a big role here and a second follow-up ep in Johto.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scott85 View Post
    I'm surprised you find Koga boring, I don't see what makes his character worse than some of the other Gym leaders.

It is odd that Aya gets to come back after this for a Johto ep. It seems like the writers liked Aya more than Koga, giving her a big role here and a second follow-up ep in Johto.
    Wait and see, soon enough she will also become the next gym leader and Janine would cry in a corner because of being a fail.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellwarden View Post
    So....everyone is happy that a "Deux Ex Machina" is being taken down with another Deux Ex Machina....
    Quote Originally Posted by Iteru
    You know, it would be hilarious if Harley did get a sex change and became Langley.
    Youtube account, DA account, SerebiiForums account, Tinypic account, Imageshack account, Photobucket account,Smogon account, Blog, Pokémon Series Analysis Dropbox Folder, PO/PS Username: Yusuf Kaya 3.0

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by MasterTrainer
    Hey, why is that "So you want to learn Japanese?" article removed? That pepper.idge.net link works just fine!
    I didn't really feel like it fit anymore. I wanted to get rid of the links that were just there because I found them "funny" and only wanted to include things that were relevant to the site.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackjack Palazzo
    ...other than that its pokedex entry establishes that it ALWAYS has a headache.
    The Pokedex says it "constantly" suffers from a headache. That doesn't mean it has a headache every second of every day - it just means that it has them very often. I "constantly" type out 2009 when I type out the date, but that doesn't mean I do it every single time.

In fact, with Psyduck, we see in later episodes that it needs to have a headache induced (by suffering head trauma) before its powers kick in. Otherwise it would be able to use its powers whenever.

Besides THAT, I don't think we, as an audience, were honestly expected to recall a freakin' Pokedex entry from a handful of episodes ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott85
    So you're saying he's interesting? That he has a personality?

Compared to the other Gym Leaders who had appeared up to that point, he had nothing. Kasumi and Takeshi have personality, Machisu had his whole "baby" thing, Natsume had that "I'm a heartless bitch" thing, and Erika had the man-hating love of perfume thing. But Kyou? Eh...
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on April 14th, 2014

| My DVD Collection | My Video Game Collection |
    These lists were last updated on January 3rd, 2012

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu View Post
    So you're saying he's interesting? That he has a personality?
    I do agree the other Kanto Gym leaders had better and more distinct personalities in the show, but he was pretty decent.

Compared to Bugsy who we learned nothing about besides liking bug Pokemon, Chuck, Jasmine (she was sadly ruined in the anime, I like her in the games though) and some of the other bland ones in Johto, I think the Kanto Gym leaders were well-defined. Battle-wise is a different story.

A black and white world Blackjack Gabbiani's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Dogasu, I think you might be confusing "constantly" with "consistantly" or something. To have a constant headache means you have one all the time, although admittedly most of the time it doesn't seem to affect it. But that's to be expected, especially if it's used to them.

Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Scott85
    I do agree the other Kanto Gym leaders had better and more distinct personalities in the show, but he was pretty decent.
    Eh...I disagree. What was there to like about him? What was cool about him? About the only thing that sticks out to me is that part where he closed his eyes and smiled when his Golbat was using that supersonic attack, but that's about it. He's dull as hell, and I'd argue that he was the least interesting Gym Leader in Kanto.

Compared to Bugsy who we learned nothing about besides liking bug Pokemon, Chuck, Jasmine (she was sadly ruined in the anime, I like her in the games though) and some of the other bland ones in Johto, I think the Kanto Gym leaders were well-defined. Battle-wise is a different story.
    Oh, I won't argue that other Gym Leaders were handled equally as bad. I just think that boring Gym Leaders are boring Gym Leaders, regardless if there are other characters out there who are more "boring" or "poorly defined."

Quote Originally Posted by Blackjack Palazzo
    Dogasu, I think you might be confusing "constantly" with "consistantly" or something.
    No, I'm not. If you were to say, for example, that Dogasu "constantly complains about the dub," you would be saying that I complain about the dub a lot. Not that I complain about it every second of every day.

Regardless, the original point I was making in the comparison was that a line had been changed. I don't care about the reasonings or whatever; I was just pointing out a change.

Looking at your Wii no ma page..
    215 "Sunnygo the Amigo! The Showdown at the Crown Tower!!"
    (???)
    221 "The Legend of the Silver Wing! The Battle of Gingan Tower!!"
    (???)
    You might want to go over these old episode title translations a bit. :P
    ("tou" as in "island", not "tower")
    So.

Blog Entries

Follow Yoshi-san on Tumblr

I like the parody you made on the Poke-Nin episode about the VA change.

Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Adamant
    You might want to go over these old episode title translations a bit. :P
    ("tou" as in "island", not "tower")
    Thanks a lot, original series' refusal to use kanji in its episode titles.

It also doesn't help that I haven't seen a good 80% of Jouto and therefore wouldn't know that a tower would have nothing to do with that episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi-san
    I like the parody you made on the Poke-Nin episode about the VA change.
    Yeah, I can be a dick sometimes :P

Religion is a club Every Breaking Wave's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have to say Dogasu, it was surprisingly easy to play the Munchlax game and not have that music stuck in my head. All I had to do was play with my volume on mute! =P

Blog Entries

Great comparison, Dogasu. It must've taken a while to compile all those (sometimes bizarre) paint edits.

One thing to point out though, you mention that there hasn't been another Pokemon racing episode since... DP160 isn't quite the same thing, but the timing of it kinda ruins your point.

they've never really gone back and recycled this plotline
    What about Extreme Pokemon? A bit different but still.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 2nd February 2013, 05:32 PM
  2. 2nd February 2013, 05:11 PM