Dogasu's Backpack Discussion - Page 45

Page 45 of 145 FirstFirst ... 3543444546475595 ... LastLast
Like Tree263Likes

Thread: Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

追放されたバカ

Default Re: Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

Nice comparison on the episode, BTW.

I've read a comic adaptation from Nintendo Power once, and it was pretty good. I'm a bit surprised that you didn't seem to add it in.

Well, I haven't actually watched the episode itself (I missed most of the airing on June 2nd in that June 2nd-June 3rd marathon, and it wasn't so much that I didn't want to watch it as much as it was that circumstances prevented me from getting home in time to watch it, so I only caught the tail end of the episode.), but I thought at least the ending was good.

EDIT: If you're willing to take suggestions of which Johto Episodes you can make comparisons to this week, could you do "Mystery Revealed" so we can finally put an end to Peno's claims that the Movie 2 reference was dub-added (Musashi and Adamant's claims that they are in the Japanese version apparantly weren't enough.). On a slightly related note, can you also do a comparison on Moving Pictures to verify what Ash actually said about Articuno in the Japanese version (I don't know if his forgetting that he met an Articuno was in the Japanese version, or if it was a dub-exclusive error)
    Last edited by Weedle Mchairybug; 8th September 2009 at 06:13 AM. Reason: adding suggestions

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

I'm just doing the first five Johto Journeys episodes. Sorry.

Those others will have to wait.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on April 20th, 2014

| My DVD Collection | My Video Game Collection |
    These lists were last updated on January 3rd, 2012

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm interested to see how many baseball puns 4kids added in Casey's episode, which is the second Johto ep.

Did Team Rocket start talking in baseball terms in the Japanese version too? lol.

You might want to fix the broken pics in "Don't Touch That 'dile!".

追放されたバカ

Well, all I have to say about the comparison is... Brock hitting only on females who are either the same age as or older than himself, contrary to popular belief, isn't quite true, and I'm NOT talking about Giselle this time around.

Anyone think that Brock may be the Japanese pokemon version of Quagmire from "Family Guy" thanks to that? Personally, I liked the Dubbed version of the scene better, even though I don't like Brock's antics. If I had to choose between him hitting on a ten-year-old girl or hitting on a (presumably) older sister, I definitely would pick the latter. Lesser of two evils, if you ask me.

BTW, Not that I don't enjoy the Johto comparisons (Admittedly, this is probably the least favorite episode of mine, due solely to the song she sang and the whole squeal scene in regards to pikachu), but I look forward to another Kanto Comparison.

Also, IS it actually illegal to use a more experienced pokemon against a starting out Pokemon three times in a row, or was Team Rocket lying that time. I suspected it was the latter, but I need to be absolutely sure, just in case the former was true.

Blog Entries

Follow QuietDragon on Tumblr

Urk, yes, I was much more used to Nanako, so when I heard Casey for the first time on my English dub Master Quest DVDs, I was HOPING THE EPISODE WOULD END QUICKLY.

GOD.

I love the character and think she's adorable, but that awful dub voice!

I love Jouto, so these comparisions are gonna be fun! <3

Musapion on SPPf, QuietxDragon on tumblr

That ball pun at the end is hardly untranslatable. Something like "Well, it's a ball, after all" would've worked perfectly well.
    So.

Blog Entries

Casey is another example of a character with potential that was introduced in a saga that didn't take advantage of her.

The thing is she was Ash's first (and only) female rival, but nobody remembers her because she doesn't even make it to the league at the end. For those who claim, "Ash never had a female rival," you guys can look at Casey and her grand total of 3 measly appearances before she goes off to hoso-land and then disappears entirely into obscurity.

Blog Entries

Dogasu I see nothing wrong with the pronunciation. If you were to base it off of Elephant. Wouldn't it be Don-fin? That sounds even less correct.

The pronunciation sounds exactly like what Ash's Donphan says in the BF, and we know Donphan doesn't have a dub voice (at least Ash's).

Or is Elephant, really pronounced ella-fawnt. I've always grown up with Ella-fint, hell all I hear is Ella-fint.

Hey, Dogasu. The "next episode" link for "A Double Trouble Header" goes to episode 147. Just a head's up.

Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Scott85
    Did Team Rocket start talking in baseball terms in the Japanese version too? lol.
    There were a few more in the English version than there were in the Japanese one, but there weren't *that* many more.

I've seriously gotta go back to that episode and touch up a few things. I wanna go over that scene where the Rocket-Dan first meet up with Nanako again. I also want to actually find the episode of Kyojin no Hoshi being parodied in the motto so I can post comparison images. I actually rented five of the DVDs the other day (there's about seventeen volumes total), but none of them seemed to have the scene being parodied on it.

Quote Originally Posted by mr3urious
    You might want to fix the broken pics in "Don't Touch That 'dile!".
    Well...they weren't really broken :P

But I did go in and add images from the raw back in.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamant
    That ball pun at the end is hardly untranslatable. Something like "Well, it's a ball, after all" would've worked perfectly well.
    But that's more of a rewrite than a translation, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott85
    The thing is she was Ash's first (and only) female rival, but nobody remembers her because she doesn't even make it to the league at the end.
    I dunno about that. I think Nanako is one of the characters introduced in Jouto that the fans do remember.

Quote Originally Posted by dman_dustin
    Dogasu I see nothing wrong with the pronunciation. If you were to base it off of Elephant. Wouldn't it be Don-fin?
    Yeah...I've actually gotta go back and rewrite that bit. I was pretty tired when I was finishing up that comparison last night.

And really...the dub's pronunciaton of the pokemon's name sounds *nothing* like the way the pokemon says it. I really don't see how you can claim that.

It reminds me of the way One Piece fans would pronounce Luffy's name as if it rhymed with the word "fluffy" even though that's clearly *not* the way it was pronounced in the Japanese version. The same thing happened with Donphan here. *No one* in the Japanese version pronounces it even close to the way the dub does it.

I almost feel like saying that "Donphan keeps its Japanese name" is a bit misleading.

Quote Originally Posted by Yash
    Hey, Dogasu. The "next episode" link for "A Double Trouble Header" goes to episode 147. Just a head's up.
    Fixed. Thanks.

Ultimate Trainer (I wish) monkeyjb1988's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu View Post
    I'm just doing the first five Johto Journeys episodes. Sorry.

Those others will have to wait.
    Great updates. Don't worry if your updates take a while, they're always worth the wait.

P.S. Thanks for doing the early comparison for Lonely Snover. I was surprised to hear that even The Clone Wars (good show) was only occasionally HD despite it being made in HD.
    The only good human is a dead human!

Oops! Wrong franchise.

(Pikachu gives Monkeyjb1988 a Thunderbolt for being an idiot)

A thousand Meowth are looking up at the night sky with tears in their eyes. None of them will be looking for loose change tonight.

A thousand condolences to all Maddie Blaustein fans. She will be missed forever more. Maddie Blaustein 1960-2008

Blog Entries

About the cropping thing, does anyone think that on the DVDs the eps will be in widescreen? It makes no sense to make a new opening in the middle of a season just to not have it widescreen. I also think May's face won't be so awkwardly cut like it seems to be in the fullscreen version. After all, why show the left side of a characters head in an opening?

Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

The DVDs will probably be widescreen.

Though watching HD episodes on DVD? Ew. No thank you.

What an odd glitch this board is having. Page 46 kept showing up, but it only works now...

Page 45 of 145 FirstFirst ... 3543444546475595 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 2nd February 2013, 05:32 PM
  2. 2nd February 2013, 05:11 PM