Dogasu's Backpack Discussion - Page 34

Page 34 of 144 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484134 ... LastLast
Like Tree262Likes

Thread: Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

Blog Entries

Default Re: Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

Alright, I know this isn't the proper place to complain, but this Pokémon Elements thing sounds moronic. '_'; Rightstuf has the episodes listed, btw.

The Zyuranger episode comparison's sheer length is hilarious. Huh, never knew Rita was from the original version. Probably should have figured that.
    Video Game Collection & Wishlist

IMPORTANT REMINDER:
    It's just the Internet. Calm down.

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Blackjack Palazzo
    They do, however, have the time displayed on a lot of shows. Why do they do that? And how do they say which ones have it and which don't?
    It's pretty much for all shows that air before 10:00am or so.

And I don't think it's just for the kiddies, either; a lot of the morning news shows, which are obviously aimed toward adults, have the clocks as well. So I guess they're there for *everyone* to use.

Quote Originally Posted by AtoMan
    In MMPR, this was obviously a Moon...
    Really? I never got that impression at all.

Assuming that *is* the case...why were those astronauts going to the moon in the first place? The Power Rangers writers could have explained it all away in a sentence or two, but no...they instead decided to have these two guys just go to "the moon" for no reason at all.

The whole thing reeks of "lousy storytelling" to me.

Noone cared way back then. Also noone cared when they casted a black actor for a Black Ranger in Operation Overdrive, so what's the point?
    When people think of Power Rangers, they don't think of "Operation Overdrive." That's like saying that people think about "Johto League Champions" whenever people talk about Pokemon.

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Brother
    Alright, I know this isn't the proper place to complain, but this Pokémon Elements thing sounds moronic. '_'; Rightstuf has the episodes listed, btw.
    This is as good a thread as any to complain, I'd think.

Pokemon Elements *does* sound bad to those of us who like logical, chronological releases of the series. But at the same time, Viz must be releasing these things because the previous discs (All-Stars) were selling really well.

I mean...from a ten-year old's point of view, what are you more likely to want? A big, expensive (in their eyes) boxset containing a bunch of episodes that you don't really care about, or a $10 disc solely dedicated to your favorite pokemon? For the casual fan, these "best of" discs are a godsend.

And Rightstuf didn't have the episodes listed when I updated my site :P
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on April 14th, 2014

| My DVD Collection | My Video Game Collection |
    These lists were last updated on January 3rd, 2012

"Barry's Busting Out All Over" is a pun on "June's Busting Out All Over"
    Oh boy, now they're making puns on songs from ancient musicals nobody's ever heard of! (seriously, I had to use a combo of google and wikipedia to figure out where the hell Dogasu got this from) I humbly propose to PUSA that they start making title puns off of indie bands ten people have heard of, since it will make roughly as much sense and at least it'll involve music made in the last 50 years.

ends up being a particularly nasty case of rubbing salt in the wound since "June" sounds a lot like "Jun." Like...why would you do that, Pokémon USA? Just to piss us off? It reminds me of how 4Kids teased us by renaming Eusine "Eugene" in "The Legend of Raikou" - it's like the people in charge of naming these characters are telling us that they know that these characters have other names but are telling us to go eff ourselves anyway
    I somehow suspect that PUSA didn't make it EVER SO CLOSE to a Jun/June pun just to piss purists off. Sorry to say, but his default name in the English language games is Barry just like it's Jun in the JP games. In other words, you're basically just whining because they're not airing it in Japanese with subtitles, Mr. Dogasu-san-kun-chan-sensei. The Eusine/Eugene comparison would be more relevent if they were calling him Larry or Harry instead of Barry, since that would have been actually getting his official English name wrong.

Although I do support you continuing in this endevour of complaining about the anime using the official English names so I can see if you're better or worse than Cybercubed over in SPPf. (waaaaah there's a Pokemon in this episode that Ash had at one point but it's NOT THE ONE ASH OWNED waaaaah that's an insult to his Pokemon waaaaah)

(seriously though, you've gotten a lot better about this stuff but I do find it pretty hilarious that you're complaining about PUSA using the DP's rivals official English name)

--- Last.fm---

I haven't liked Jun's dub name ever since I found out that that's what it was way before he even appeared in the anime. I just don't think it fits him at all. I SUPPOSE THAT'S A SIN, JUPUTORU.

Don
    Blog Entries

Follow Don on Tumblr

You know the only thing I think PUSA was aiming for in that titles was the "Busting Out All Over" part. I'm guessing they wanted a title to suit Barry basically running all over the place and crashing a lot thus "busting out". I don't think PUSA replaced a name which sounds like his original name, Jun to make a tease on that fact, they just did it because that was the most obvious name they would've chosen.

Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

Apparently posting my own opinions on a website that I run is a sin now?

Quote Originally Posted by Juputoru
    Sorry to say, but his default name in the English language games is Barry just like it's Jun in the JP games.
    I never claimed otherwise.

In other words, you're basically just whining because they're not airing it in Japanese with subtitles, Mr. Dogasu-san-kun-chan-sensei.
    Oh yes. That's *exactly* what I'm saying, Mr. Grovyle-oh-wait-your-username-is-Juputoru-isn't-it?

A black and white world Blackjack Gabbiani's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Tossing this in and I know it doesn't *fully* apply here, but he's Jun in the Viz translation of DPA. Maybe to seperate from that, since the female character is Mitsumi and the male character is Hareta, neither of which are their game defaults.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu View Post
    Really? I never got that impression at all.

Assuming that *is* the case...why were those astronauts going to the moon in the first place? The Power Rangers writers could have explained it all away in a sentence or two, but no...they instead decided to have these two guys just go to "the moon" for no reason at all.

The whole thing reeks of "lousy storytelling" to me.
    I believe there was some announcement "and now we will see our astronauts' landing on the moon" in the "unaired" pilot episode.

Why the moon? Dunno, maybe kids thought it's cool.

When people think of Power Rangers, they don't think of "Operation Overdrive." That's like saying that people think about "Johto League Champions" whenever people talk about Pokemon.
    Touche.

But still, complaining about Zach and Trini is like complaining about Jynx. Same exact situation, IMO.

Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

I've been spending the last two days or so updating the section on Giratina and the Sky Bouquet, Shami in the Movie Guide. I hope to have everything ready to upload tonight (my time).

Quote Originally Posted by AtoMan
    I believe there was some announcement "and now we will see our astronauts' landing on the moon" in the "unaired" pilot episode.
    Well, no such announcement is made in the actual first episode. So it doesn't count :P

But still, complaining about Zach and Trini is like complaining about Jynx. Same exact situation, IMO.
    And...?

Besides, I *barely* brought it up. The issue was dropped after two whole sentences.

Protecting Gotham City Geodude's Avatar Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Geodude On Twitter
    Follow Geodude on Tumblr

I've updated the List of Anime Episodes with the two new Japanese titles and four new English titles. "Barry's Busting Out All Over" is a pun on "June's Busting Out All Over" and ends up being a particularly nasty case of rubbing salt in the wound since "June" sounds a lot like "Jun." Like...why would you do that, Pokémon USA? Just to piss us off?
    Piss who off exactly? You and which other person? Ever occur to you that June is a girl's name? I mean really...you're complaining about nothing.

XBL: Shiny Geodude -- PSN: ShinyGeodude

Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

June is a girl's name. Jun is not.

And I'm not even complaining about the name change in the first place. What I *am* complaining about is the way PUSA is being dicks about it as they do it.

Blog Entries

Jun Motomiya from Digimon begs to differ (Daisuke/Davis's sister--the dub could never agree if her name was Jun or June, but in Japanese it's Jun flat out).

Relax and have fun. The Power of Pika's Avatar
    Blog Entries

And I'm not even complaining about the name change in the first place. What I *am* complaining about is the way PUSA is being dicks about it as they do it.
    You don't even know the actual reason for why it was done. I don't know the reason either, no one does. I think it's jumping the gun in saying they are "being dicks about it". The only thing I could guess is sometimes something that maybe thought as a good idea might not be so great when implemented. This title is looking like a case of that at the moment since people are taking it the wrong way.

My name is Daffy Duck, I worked on a Merry-Go-Round, The job was swell,
    I did quite well,Till the Merry-go-round broke down.
    (Hoo-hoo! Hoo-hoo! Hoo! Hoo! Hoo-hoo!)

Don
    Blog Entries

Follow Don on Tumblr

Are you sure they're being 'dicks'? Maybe they just chose that title because they thought it fitted Barry's actions in the episode, maybe they didn't realize, or if they did they didn't mean to tease us, it just happened.

Sending an e-mail to them might about this might explain why PUSA chose a title replacing a name that sounds the same as Jun. But right now this is just jumping to conclusions, I doubt PUSA would be dicks to those who watch the original/Japanese version of Pokemon.

Blog Entries

And as I said, they might have called him Jun and named the episode, then realized they should use the name from the Engish game, redubbed his name, but didn't bother to think of the implication of the title.

I *have* heard of weirder stuff happening (the whole "Hamilton" thing for instance, although that didn't affect the dub aside from that we got the second version).

LinkBacks (?)

1. 2nd February 2013, 05:32 PM
  2. 2nd February 2013, 05:11 PM