Page 3 of 145 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast
Like Tree263Likes

Thread: Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Blackjack Palazzo
    Ever agreed with any of them?
    Some of them, yeah. But not always. This Doraemon case being one of those times when I don't.

Here are some more screencaps I took from the Doraemon DVD (and may I say...this movie looks fantastic for being eighteen years old):

I'm still not seeing it...they remind me more of Moltar, personally.
    Last edited by Dogasu; 12th September 2008 at 06:07 AM.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on April 20th, 2014

| My DVD Collection | My Video Game Collection |
    These lists were last updated on January 3rd, 2012

Blog Entries

How odd...just a sidenote, but how come these images load from the bottom up?

Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

No clue...because they're .bmps, maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Adamant View Post
    Oh, there are definitly a lot of intentional references in the series. I doubt anyone believes the fact that one of Team Rocket's remote controls for one of their mecha looked a lot like a Wii remote was just a freak coincidence, for instance.
    Or just that all the Pokedexes look like Gameboys etc. The Sinnoh Pokedex looks more like the DS than the others look like Gameboys, I think, though

Serious Pokemon Fan

Whatever current hand held Nintendo has out, the Zukan/Pokedex will be it.

looking at the Japanese version of that store sign, I think I can barely make out the outline of the word "POKEMON". I think it's also worth noting that it's spelled that way... if it was really added by 4kids, chances are that they would've used that little apostrophe over a lower-case "e", a spelling which I think first came about with Nintendo's localization (how often do you just see it spelled as "Pokemon" in official English media?). It would also kinda make sense, seeing as Satoshi went there to buy an item intended for healing Pokemon, and the outer-design is adorned by Monster Balls.

Either way, it doesn't make much sense... I could assume this store is meant to be some portrayal of the shops in the RPGs, but they're not called "Pokemon Shops", in either Japanese or English. In English, they're called "Pokemarts", and in Japanese, they're called "Friendly Shops". BTW Dogasu, I'm surprised you said nothing of Shigeru exiting the store. What's even funnier is that the scene where he hits Satoshi with the door is seen in the preview at the end of the previous episode, almost as if they were trying to hype up his reappearance (I guess English-viewers were spared this kind of teasing, seeing as the next-episode previews are removed).

Later, the Rocket-Dan hold up the shop in the town. In the English version, the duo is goofy and non-threatening from the get-go; they talk about how their guns shoot out ice and how they want dental floss to go with their bombs. The Japanese version, by contrast, has the Rocket-Dan rob the store the way the Joker would; they threaten people with guns that everyone assumes is real, get what they want, and then fire off their fake guns. Except instead of a flag coming out with the word BANG! on it, for example, they shoot out cherry blossom petals instead.

I guess the trade-off to being allowed to show the footage unedited was giving the Rocket trio goofy dialogue so that the audience knows, from the start, that nobody's actually in any danger of being hurt here.
    though, this brings up another question: why? Everybody knows they're the antagonists (or at least try to be), so why not make them seem threatening from the get-go? This is why making stuff more "kid-friendly" never works out: I'm pretty sure a three-year old could figure this stuff out.

And I swear to god, if EVERYBODY in the store immediately turning paranoid from the event and pulling a gun (which they all happened to be carrying) out on the next innocent person who simply walks in isn't a stereotype of Westerners, I don't know what is (it took place in an Old West-style town, too). XD

Yup, classes again. I'm gonna be at this for a while.

Ah, the origiri...no joke, when I was 9 me and my younger brothers and sisters were laughing that they were calling them doughnuts instead of rice balls. We're not Japanese or anything, we're English, lived in England all our lives and never been to another country, not even for a holiday (aww).

Oh, I heard about the "we're going to dye your hair/you're going to die" edit.

A black and white world Blackjack Gabbiani's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It's funny...Pokémon's the only fandom I've ever been in where people grouse about removal of Japanese text. They're doing it on Digimon Data Squad (which takes place IN JAPAN and no effort has ever been made to avoid that), and the fandom is basically like "Eh, what are ya gonna do?"

Blog Entries

Whoa, never saw that beer sign before. That's pretty unexpected, and kinda funny that 4Kids left it in. XD
    Video Game Collection & Wishlist

IMPORTANT REMINDER:
    It's just the Internet. Calm down.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackjack Palazzo View Post
    It's funny...Pokémon's the only fandom I've ever been in where people grouse about removal of Japanese text. They're doing it on Digimon Data Squad (which takes place IN JAPAN and no effort has ever been made to avoid that), and the fandom is basically like "Eh, what are ya gonna do?"
    Well, I'd imagine that's because that while the Pokemon dub only removes Japanese text (and on occasion English text), other 4Kids dubs will completely wipe everything. In fact, the Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's dub that premiered today erased everything except for some vital information (usually the only exception) and the word "SECURITY" on Ushio's jacket.

When you have both Japanese and English text being removed, I think most people would consider the latter to be more ridiculous.

Blog Entries

Except Digimon is dubbed by a completely different company, so therefore the fans may not watch anything done by 4Kids or even any other company that does it.

The heck of is is that Data Squad isn't the first season where they removed Japanese text...but it *is* the first season where they didn't put anything else in its place. There was an amusement park with an entirely blank sign, and a bakery with nothing out front. And the bakery was *especially* strange since it was said repeatedly that their specialty is manjuu, a Japanese pastry. So with all the Japanese stuff not only in the show, but in that episode specificially, the removal of text is incredibly bizarre.

Dogasu why are you working on ones that you've already completed? Why not finish off the ones that need to be done?

You're almsot done with Kanto. I just hope you finish it before you get dis-interested again.

Blog Entries

In a previous update, Dogasu said he wanted to edit his old comparisons to coincide with his layout for the more recent episodes.
    Proud member of the Pokemon BGM Club

Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

Pokemaster Justin...have you seen some of the older comparisons I did? Because...they all suck. Horrible plot summaries, amateurish fanboy ramblings, no pictures, sucky translations, etc.

(also...I don't have the third Indigo DVD box set yet)

Now that I'm older, (hopefully) somewhat more chilled out, able to make screencaps, and actually know Japanese, I think it's very much worth it to go through my old stuff and redo it.

As far as Blackjack's question goes...I guess because I'm being a vocal minority and therefore making it seem like more people care? You know how I tend to raise a stink about things more than other people when it comes to edits.

Didn't the Digimon dub once leave in Japanese text and then claim that it was some made-up Digimon language or something? Or am I horribly mis-remembering things?

Blog Entries

You're misremembering things...probably. There *is* a made-up Digimon language, it's called Digicode. However, there may have been Japanese text called that at one point. I know there was a part where in the original Digitamamon would only take American dollars and all the kids had was yen, and this was for some reason changed to that he would only take "Digi-dollars". Either way, they were bailed out by Mimi's American friend Michael (who, yes, is *actually* American).

Page 3 of 145 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 2nd February 2013, 05:32 PM
  2. 2nd February 2013, 05:11 PM