Dogasu's Backpack Discussion - Page 2
Page 2 of 147 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

Blog Entries

Are you kidding, Scott? The Johto starters rocked. o.o The problems were that the writers didn't do anything with them, aside from Chikorita/Bayleef.

Anyway, I don't see TR'S suits being based off those Doraemon aliens either... Looks more like a coincidence.
    Video Game Collection & Wishlist

IMPORTANT REMINDER:
    It's just the Internet. Calm down.

I'll say this.

Totodile, Chicorita, and Cyndaquil all have more personalities than the starting Indigo ones.

However, the Indigo characters were fourtante to have good storys based around them...at a time when the series was still doing something new and fresh so that's why their a bit more memorable than the Johto ones.

I rewatched the Indigo sries all recently, and they were just his original Pokemon.

Chickorita loved Ash
    Cyndaquil was timid
    Totodile danced

I believe that the others were just victims or poor storytelling/not having that much follow up to them.

I'd consider Totodile's dancing more of a gimmick myself.

That's kind of what Johto was. Gimmicks. Chikorita had a crush on Ash. Noctowl was shiny and uncharacteristically large. Totodile danced whenever it was called out. Phanpy was a baby Pokemon.

None of these really affected the overall plotline, whereas in Diamond & Pearl, Buizel's pride, Aipom's love of all things contest, Chimchar's abandonment issues, etc. have all been addressed.

Not even my final form GreatLiver's Avatar

Yash I think you mean small for Noctowl, and I agree with you completely. Totodile dancing really didn't do much, and at least for me lost its appeal after like the 30th time. It got old just like everything else that was constantly repeated and not improved upon in Johto.

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemaster Justin
    How on earth did Haigney not know that Charmander was going to be a main Pokemon in the group as well?? They got the episodes 52 in advance, so you'd think they'd at least know certain key plot poitns.
    Especially since Michael Haigney was a head writer for the series. You'd think that by the time they got to dubbing the eleventh episode (assuming they dubbed these in order) they'd have a basic grasp of how certain aspects of the show work.

I think it'd be hilarious if Mr. Haigney ended up being the one who actually wrote the Charmander episode. That would make his comments even more ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyjb1988
    He/She runs a great site.
    He :)
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on December 18th, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Brother View Post
    Are you kidding, Scott? The Johto starters rocked. o.o The problems were that the writers didn't do anything with them, aside from Chikorita/Bayleef.
    Yeah, I'll give you Chikorita/Bayleef. It has more personality than Turtwig, which doesn't really have one to speak of. I always did think Ash's Chikorita was the cutest thing ever.

Cyndaquil and Totodile never really had personality to me. Corphish was what Totodile was probably intended to be like, so the writers got it right the second time. Noctowl, like Ash's other birds, didn't have much personality either.

Honestly, if Ash's Johto team was Bulbasaur, Squirtle, Charizard, Heracross and Phanpy...it would have been a hell of a lot more enjoyable season than it turned out.

Totodile should have went to Misty, and Brock could have captured Cyndaquil to replace Vulpix. Ash didn't need those Johto starters at all and now they're completely useless compared to his other teams. No wonder why the writers abandoned them.

I disagree Scott I think that Chrizard would have made his gym battles less intersting..

I wish Johto he did like these other seasons and just got rid of his Pokemon/stored them at Oaks.

Perhaps than you would have like his team better.

Chickorita
    Totodile
    Cyndaquil
    Heracross
    Phanpy
    Noctowl

Pikachu doesn't really count...
    Last edited by Pokemaster Justin; 10th September 2008 at 10:23 PM.

The two best Johto Gyms were Falkner and Clair's Gyms though, both Gyms where Charizard participated in.

BTW, sorry if I'm going off-topic from Dogasu's site. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Brother View Post
    Anyway, I don't see TR'S suits being based off those Doraemon aliens either... Looks more like a coincidence.
    Agreed. A good number of Pokeani's user-submitted "parody" remarks seem like nothing but random coincidences.
    So.

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Adamant
    Agreed. A good number of Pokeani's user-submitted "parody" remarks seem like nothing but random coincidences.
    Yeah...that's why I went ahead and posted the picture so that you guys could kind of see for yourself. The movie rental only cost me the equivalent of like $1.50, so it's not that big a deal that I spent money to get some screenshots of people who only barely resemble the characters in Pocket Monsters.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on December 18th, 2014

I've been trying to pay close attention to things like punctuation and capitalization in the episode titles for the past two years or so (fun fact: most Pokémon USA episode titles capitalize every single word and also end in exclamation mark)
    I went and checked the DVDs, and:
    - "A Chip Off the Old Brock" has no exclamation mark
    - "Wheel of Frontier", "May's Egg-cellent Adventure", "Harley Rides Again" too
    - "Tactics Theatrics!!" has TWO o.O
    - "Queen of the Serpentine!", and everything between "Odd Pokémon Out!" and "Talking A Good Game!" has one.

As for "Queen of the Serpentine", the DVD version has wery weird bug on the title screen...

TV version:

Seems they, for some reason, chose to remake this titlescreen (which leaves in question all the "exclamation" inconsistences between your site and first boxset), then put the "corrected" title over it...

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemaster Justin View Post
    Totodile danced
    The fact that "Totodile dancing" is more personality than Bulbasaur, Squirtle, Charmander, Cyndaquil and Turtwig is hilariously sad.

A black and white world Blackjack Gabbiani's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu View Post
    Yeah...that's why I went ahead and posted the picture so that you guys could kind of see for yourself.
    Ever agreed with any of them?

Although there's one I noticed that I don't think they did, and that's the source of Bannai's name.

Oh, there are definitly a lot of intentional references in the series. I doubt anyone believes the fact that one of Team Rocket's remote controls for one of their mecha looked a lot like a Wii remote was just a freak coincidence, for instance.
    So.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamant View Post
    Oh, there are definitly a lot of intentional references in the series. I doubt anyone believes the fact that one of Team Rocket's remote controls for one of their mecha looked a lot like a Wii remote was just a freak coincidence, for instance.
    Or the nunchuk.

Maybe we'll see Wiimotion sometime soon, too.

Page 2 of 147 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast