Dogasu's Backpack Discussion - Page 17

Page 17 of 144 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767117 ... LastLast
Like Tree262Likes

Thread: Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

A black and white world Blackjack Gabbiani's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Snake Bandage View Post
    and Hun sounding indisputably male (though his voice was very different from the Japanese version, but it's still incredibly fitting).
    We all know my thoughts on Bashou's Japanese voice being made of horrific fail, so I would like to hear male Bashou being made of win for once.

Is Eusine still massively OOC though? Since that was a problem in the original and not with any dubbers?

Anyway, as far as the roller coasters at a festival such as the one in this episode...there's already carnival games. There's stuff like goldfish catching and ring toss and the like at "traditional" Bon festivals, and those have jack-all to do with the subject of spirits and more to do with bringing people in. And given that the pokémon world never does things by halves, it's entirely possible that there *could* be Bon festivals (and didn't someone in this thread point out that it was at the wrong time of year to be Bon anyway?) that have roller coasters. Granted, that one didn't, but there could be.

Blog Entries

Dogasu I found a character that was reused in some episode (47 and the first tag battle episode.) I found picture but I don't know if I can post them here.
    And in DP47 (Japaneses only) when Mira talk, she mearly alway say miru all something close to that. Was she talking in third person or something else.
    Pleas forgive me if this is the wrong thread to post this.
    Last edited by darklord18; 3rd November 2008 at 05:56 AM.

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

I've been busy for a while, so I haven't had the time to post any replies in this thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Weedle Mchairybug
    Since we now know that the Porta Vista in Beauty and the Beach and Tentacool and Tentacruel, do you suppose they are neighboring towns (Similar to Celadon and Saffron Cities? or East/West Berlin, technically speaking?)
    From what I can gather, Hatoba Port is a part of Aopulco kinda like the way Manhattan Island is a part of New York.

Quote Originally Posted by PokemonTrainerLisa
    Anyway, I don't know why they originally said that Brock's mom was dead in the dub. But oh well, changes like that don't bother me.... ^^;
    Why wouldn't it? It's a major change that creates a plot hole that wouldn't have existed if 4Kids had simply translated the scene instead of rewriting it to make it "better."

I also notice how, earlier in the thread, you tried to defend Michael Haigney when we fans (rightfully) called him out for being stupid enough not to realize that Charmander was going to stick around for more than one episode.

You can find faults with the 4Kids dub and still be a huge fan of their dub, y'know. Criticising 4Kids whenever they make a mistake doesn't make you any less of a fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott85
    Dogasu, this might be going into the past a bit, but why did you say the last contest with Squirtle Vs. Banette was an unfair win?
    I don't have the time to go back and rewatch that episode now to see if I was just on something the day I wrote that comparison or if that's the way I really feel.

And even if I rewatch the episode and still don't like it...so what? The idea that the battle was "good" is simply an opinion, not a provable fact. We fans don't have to agree on every little thing.

Also, I did mention the Sudden Death bit in the episode's summary at the top of the page there.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Ookido
    On the other hand, about hiding the fact that the show is Japanese...
    Doing so is completely unnecessary. Not to mention xenophobic.

Also, dubbers probably cover up the Japanese characters so kids won't be lost as to what they say.
    Look through the Kanto comparisons I've redone so far. How many of the signs were either a) important enough to need to be translated and wasn't read aloud by one of the show's characters or b) insignificant background signs that really didn't affect the audience's ability to understand the show at all? I count a grand total of zero. The idea that kids will be lost is a bit ludicrous since everything's translated for them either way.

I mean, look at "Beauty and The Beach," if you have the means. Professor Oak has a poster for the beauty contest, with Japanese writing intact, and translates it for English viewers by reading it out loud. So why isn't that good enough for the rest of the series? Why do we need both aural and visual cues to figure out what's going on? Even in Japan, I doubt some of the younger fans are able to read all the kanji that's been shown.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackjack Palazzo
    Although I don't think, with the prevalance of McDonalds in Japan, that having Satoshi like hamburgers is taking away from his Japaneseness or making him "ashamed".
    The thing is, he now exclusively talks about hamburgers and things like that. I can't even remember the last time he wanted something like yakisoba or tempura.

If they have the programming skills to edit in a penny, they have the programming skills to edit in something that looks original, because for pete's sake, that symbol they use in the English editions of the games isn't $.
    To be fair...both the Japanese versions and the English dub ignore the fact that the games use their own made-up currency.

Quote Originally Posted by Weedle Mchairybug
    Well, ok, they do have a Japanese-like festival. But then again, It's not really the same japanese festival (as the festival in real life begins at the beginning of the summer, not at the end of it as the episode implies.)
    If you check out the Wikipedia entry I linked to in the comparison for the Bon Festival, you'll see that the starting dates kind of vary from region to region. It's entirely possible that the town Satoshi and his friends were in just happened to be late in celebrating it.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyjb1988
    Just one request: Make a big deal about Butterfree not dying in the next comparison.
    Don't worry about that. I haven't exactly been helping to dispel that rumor myself, so I'm going to try my best to set things right when I redo that comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Outrage DD
    So I'm just wondering if the "Ghost repelling stickers" actually had any writing on it edited out.
    Nope.

Believe me; if there's any digital paint to be found, I'm going to post screenshots on my site of each and every shot.

(I'm really going to regret saying that when it comes time to do the comparison for "Princess vs. Princess")

Quote Originally Posted by VibuzeSG
    Ghos's dub name isn't "Ghastly," it's "Gastly." So Ash is actually saying "Well Gastly! Time for a battle!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil Brother
    Also, heads up to Dogasu: maybe it's just my comp, but the pic with the paper lantern boats isn't working for me.
    I went in and fixed both problems. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemaster Justin
    Right there were Pokedollars if you remember in the cash register...so I don't think that's the problem.
    Pretty sure those were meant to be yen. The men on the bills don't really look like the same men on the actual 1000 yen and 5000 yen pieces, but the rest of them (the border, the oval in the middle of the 1000 yen piece, etc.) but everything else is more or less the same.

Plus, there's a bunch of 100 yen and 500 yen coins in the register.

See Dogasu keeps forgetting that this is an American Adaption for the show. It's not a translation, and it's not an adaption either.
    I'm fully aware of that. The thing is - and I've been saying this for years - is that I just want a translation. Not an adaptation, not a rewrite, not a "better" version; I just want to have the Japanese show translated into English as-is. Apparently, asking for something that the fans of like 80% of anime get is too much or something.

So then why don't the other companies just adapt their own script?
    It's a lot easier (and cheaper) to get people who can translate from English to, say, Spanish than it is to find someone who can go from Japanese to Spanish. European translators, for example, have a lot more reasons to know English than they would to learn Japanese.

Quote Originally Posted by Snake Bandage
    In Israel we had Pokemon Chronicles not hurt nearly as much thanks to BMGF's very own Piplup.
    How so?

Quote Originally Posted by Kazamatsuri
    I have a few music corrections to point out. Both BGM that you mentioned in your Ghost of Maiden's Peak comparison are actually used in other episodes of the series.
    Whoops. I'll have to edit that part later.

I actually like how you've mentioned the BGM in your most recent comparisons Dogasu. I'd actually like it if you would point out exactly how many BGM were kept intact out of the total in more of your episode comparisons.
    That's way too time-consuming. I don't mind doing it so much for the more recent episodes where I don't have all these puns and paint edits and cuts and whatnot to worry about, but with these Kanto comparisons, I'm too busy paying attention to everything else to keep a tally of how many pieces of music are being kept.

I'll make a note of it if the total is unusually high or unusually low. But I have a General Edits page for a reason.

(And, looking over the General Edits page...I might have to make a change there after the recent Riolu episode...)

Quote Originally Posted by darklord18
    Dogasu I found a character that was reused in some episode (47 and the first tag battle episode.) I found picture but I don't know if I can post them here.
    Thanks! Could you send me a picture?

And in DP47 (Japaneses only) when Mira talk, she mearly alway say miru all something close to that. Was she talking in third person or something else.
    I don't really understand your question...
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on April 14th, 2014

| My DVD Collection | My Video Game Collection |
    These lists were last updated on January 3rd, 2012

Dogasu, Who do you think does an overall better job dubbing pokemon Duart or Taj?
    I ask because you seem to be one of the few UNbiased people on the forum...

I am a Proud Sarah Brightman Fan!

Protecting Gotham City Geodude's Avatar Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Geodude On Twitter
    Follow Geodude on Tumblr

That question about Mira...I think the poster wanted to know why it seemed to them like she kept saying her own name in the Japanese version of that episode. (Mira is the tricky, sneaky girl with the Abra, she was one of the partners from the games.)

XBL: Shiny Geodude -- PSN: ShinyGeodude

Quote Originally Posted by Geodude View Post
    That question about Mira...I think the poster wanted to know why it seemed to them like she kept saying her own name in the Japanese version of that episode. (Mira is the tricky, sneaky girl with the Abra, she was one of the partners from the games.)
    Speaking in third person is totally the most adorable thing for a Japanese girl to do. Except not, but some Japanese people really seem to think that.

A black and white world Blackjack Gabbiani's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu View Post
    Why wouldn't it? It's a major change that creates a plot hole that wouldn't have existed if 4Kids had simply translated the scene instead of rewriting it to make it "better."
    It's not a plot hole if you consider two words that can fix the whole thing: "Flint Lied".

As I've said before, he didn't know these kids, and he had no way of knowing they'd be his son's best friends. He didn't want these strangers knowing that his kids had TWO deadbeat parents, and he loves his wife, so to salvage her reputation as best he could, he said that she died rather that that she ran off on them. Also remember that Flint isn't very smart.

Overthought? Sure. Now I need to come up with some way to explain why Eusine is massively OCC in Legend of Thunder *without* resorting to "Eugene".

Protecting Gotham City Geodude's Avatar Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Geodude On Twitter
    Follow Geodude on Tumblr

Speaking in third person is totally the most adorable thing for a Japanese girl to do. Except not, but some Japanese people really seem to think that.
    Mind you, I have no idea whether or not she actually did that, and don't/didn't feel like checking to see if I could figure anything out. Figured I'd leave that to someone who actually knows more than just a handful of Japanese words, like Dogasu.

XBL: Shiny Geodude -- PSN: ShinyGeodude

Blog Entries

I sorry if it was hard to understand but I ask was she talking in third person or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Geodude View Post
    Mind you, I have no idea whether or not she actually did that, and don't/didn't feel like checking to see if I could figure anything out. Figured I'd leave that to someone who actually knows more than just a handful of Japanese words, like Dogasu.
    Well, if she DID do that (I haven't watched the episode myself), that's the only reason I can think of for using your own name in conversation for a purpose other than introducing yourself. I've seen it done in anime more than I'm willing to remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu
    The idea that kids will be lost is a bit ludicrous since everything's translated for them either way.
    Of course everything essential to the plot will generally be translated, but seeing Japanese text may distract kids, dunno, who might wonder what it says (curiosity)?
    ...translates it for English viewers by reading it out loud. So why isn't that good enough for the rest of the series? Why do we need both aural and visual cues to figure out what's going on?
    Well, a viewer might think there was something that went untranslated on the poster or sign, after all we are assuming that the viewer isn't aware that both the sign and dialogue are pointing out the same thing.
    Even in Japan, I doubt some of the younger fans are able to read all the kanji that's been shown.
    True, true.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Ookido View Post
    Of course everything essential to the plot will generally be translated, but seeing Japanese text may distract kids, dunno, who might wonder what it says (curiosity)?
    Wouldn't the exact same be true with Tajiran?
    So.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamant View Post
    Wouldn't the exact same be true with Tajiran?
    Kind of. Tajirian doesn't really look like any language, though, it's kinda just shapes representing where letters are supposed to be. It's kinda like a neater way of putting squiggly lines to represent text. Dunno, something like that.

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

I'm not going to have the time in the next few days to check on the Miru thing :/

Coincidentally, the episodes of Dragon Ball Z I watched today had Maron in it, and she constantly refers to herself in the third person.

Quote Originally Posted by beast2025
    Dogasu, Who do you think does an overall better job dubbing pokemon Duart or Taj?
    I haven't sat through an entire episode of Battle Dimension yet, so I can't really say. But from the clips I've seen here and there, they don't seem to be any better or any worse than TAJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackjack Palazzo
    It's not a plot hole if you consider two words that can fix the whole thing: "Flint Lied".
    I dunno...I think it's a rather convoluted way to make their script errors make sense. If 4Kids was doing a good job, you wouldn't have to keep making up excuses for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Ookido
    Well, a viewer might think there was something that went untranslated on the poster or sign, after all we are assuming that the viewer isn't aware that both the sign and dialogue are pointing out the same thing.
    Or they'll do what happens when any other anime does the same thing; not care. A viewer doesn't need to be able to read every single word presented on screen to know what's going on.

Tajirian doesn't really look like any language, though
    Which is why so many people mistake it for Japanese (like on this Bulbapedia page) whenever it's shown?
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on April 14th, 2014

| My DVD Collection | My Video Game Collection |
    These lists were last updated on January 3rd, 2012

In Israel we had Pokemon Chronicles not hurt nearly as much thanks to BMGF's very own Piplup. It was still dubbed from the 4Kids dub (like everything else), but we got all kinds of mistakes fixed and stuff thanks to Pip's notes. So we had Eusine, and Jackson, and Hun sounding indisputably male (though his voice was very different from the Japanese version, but it's still incredibly fitting).
    Thanks XD
    Since the dub here makes a lot mistakes in translating well the attacks and getting right (and be consistent) with Pokémon names - me and 2 other friends made a list for each episode of "Pokémon Chronicles" that explained how to say the names of all the Pokémon/attacks/other things and also included notes about changes the Japanese did (thanks to Dogasu's site!)

We tried to do something like this (only Poké/attacks, not changes from English/Japanese) back in season 7 but eventually we did only a few episodes and were told they got it too late to use it (but there's a little chance it was thanks to us they fixed season 6's "Medkip" and "Lutad" to the correct "Lotad" and "Madkip" (I know it's Mudkip- we write them this way the names so they get it's an A sound)

Than we did first two episodes of season 8 and stopped so we didn't send them anything...
    Than after season 8 we heard Chronicles is going to air so finally for the first time we did a full list for all episodes and much more organized than before - and managed to give them in time
    We were lucky - for Chronicles they used a different director (Jessie's VA) than the usual one since the usual one didn't have time and she also got to do the translation instead of the usual translator

Jessie's Hebrew VA - Maya - is not only one of the best VA/director/translator here but also a VERY nice person who cares a lot about her work
    She did her best to listen to our lists for Chronicles and the result was great
    While most of the text was just translation of 4Kids' stupidity (seriously... just what they thought when they did Chronicles?!) we got a lot of changes back to how they were in the Japanese version thanks to Dogasu's site that listed some of the changes
    - Hun was changed back to male
    - Vincent was changed back to Jackson (but sadly she didn't find his old VA and the new one was irritating)
    - episode 2 changed "Bite" back to the correct attack which was Crunch
    - Eugene was changed back to Eusine (but his VA also was replaced)
    - episode 6 "punching type" was changed back to the correct fighting type
    - episode 6 changed this line "Ash...Brock...I know you can't hear me, but I did it! I'm a Gym Leader! And you were right. I was able to do it on my own!" to remove Brock since Dogasu said Misty only mentioned Ash in this scene
    - episode 9 Sakura's "Yeah, Beautifly's my pride and joy." was changed to the Japanese line of "It evolved from a Wurmple I caught"
    - episode 10 changed Tracey's "Richie is my nephew" to the correct "Richie is my friend"
    - episode 12 Joy: "You're one of those traveling trainers aren't you? That's so neat! My mom wants me to run the Pokémon Center when I grow up, but I wanna travel and stuff."
    Richie: "What about you, Nick? What do you do?"
    Nick: "Me? I help my dad and stuff..."
    all this was changed to how Dogasu said it was (something like Joy does want to be a nurse and not to travel)
    - episode 14 Professor Oak: "I'm not sure you have the right attitude here, Gilbert. Maybe you should just call it quits and go home."
    was changed back to the Japanese line that said when Gilbert will be on the road he'll get to even more difficult situations than that
    - Corey: "Don's terrified of water! When it was just a little Charmander, we were playing and it fell into a lake! The sight of water has made it freeze up ever since!"
    Casey: "That's a fire-type for ya. I can't even get my Magmar or Rapidash to take a bath!"
    was changed to "Benny told me Charmander is afraid from water since it was a little Charmander" than Casey: "it's obvious, it's a fire Pokémon"
    - episode 18 Mt. Magma was changed back to the correct Mt. Ember
    - episode 18 "This reminds me of that time we got lost in the caves of Mt. Moon. You remember that, Sparky?" I don't remember if she fixed this as well but we did write about that... I'm 99% it was also fixed (to Richie wishing there'd be light or something like that)
    - episode 18 I think they fixed that Moltres isn't "one of a kind"

We wrote about some more changes that Dogasu reported but there was no time and she couldn't change so much things... but she did her best and did all the changes I listed now

Maya was also was director/translator of "CardCaptor Sakura" (dubbed from Japanese) she got a little help with fans for that as well... she had in her text "Spinny" or something like that but noticed they say it "Suppi" and she let fans decide which name to use (and we got the correct Suppi)
    After the complaints how they said "Syaoran" just like that (Sa-yo-ran) instead of Sha-o-ran she changed his name when the second movie came here after the show itself (movie 1 didn't came) but made a mistake again XD and called him Sa-o-ran... but at least she tried XD

When we got "Mew Mew Power" she got help from some stupid "fan" who gave her corrupted Japanese names for the characters (too bad she didn't get help from me this time) so while the names weren't said the right way- all the main characters got back their Japanese names
    Than we got season 2 (27-52) of TMM from the Japanese version... and in her text (which BTW is always in English even in such cases that we get the Japanese version) she had totally new names for all characters (not 4Kids and not Japanese) so she once again did her best to keep all the names of characters and attacks like they were the previous season

I know this wasn't really related to Poké but I must praise Maya as much as possible and it's nice to let people know about how amazing she is (I know she also got fans' help for Naruto which was dubbed from English... but now airs in Japanese at night so I guess the dub won't continue)
    Too bad Maya doesn't do voice direction anymore... not sure about translator but for Poké she isn't... Chronicles was a one-time thing
    At least she continue with dubbing so we'll have her as Jessie again

What happened after Chronicles? I wanted to do lists again for season 9 but the other 2 that worked with me before didn't really help me
    Eventually I didn't do anything... and sadly Maya didn't continue and we got back the usual director and translator
    This season was the WORST (and I mean the translation, not the episodes themselves which were great)
    Suddenly after years that they always translated good and were consistent with "Razor Leaf" and "Leaf Blade"... now they call both attacks the same name of "Razor Leaf" even in episodes where both attacks are used
    Both Greta and Brandon's symbols got the same name
    A lot of other things like that happened that season...

I couldn't take it anymore so I decided no matter what - I'll do lists for season 10
    So I did... and did them alone
    I don't know how the usual director (and translator if she even got it... only the director I know for sure got it) will think about this but it seems much more likely she'll ignore everything
    There's no one here other than Maya (and possibly another one) that would bother to do this minimal work of getting things right... they just want the money which won't change if they'll do better

So sadly all my work of lists for season 10 is likely gone to waste... (oh and I didn't continue the "changes from Japanese"... Chronicles was exaggerated but the regular show doesn't change as much... so just Poké/attacks/other things like that)
    Hopefully I'll get a surprise and see they did listen to at least a few things... but I know it won't happen
    Season 10 is currently being dubbed and will begin to air from 16.11 and if anyone is interested I'll update here how it's going

Another one of the stupid things about the dub here is that they simply can't notice when a Poké is female and transform males/unknowns into females for no reason at all... we have no word for "it" but only he/she so when it's unknown (like how it is for most Poké) they just go with he
    But they made Meowth get in love with a male Skitty (May's... in Chronicles of course Maya listen to us and made Skitty female) and male Treecko in love with another male Treecko
    Drew's Roselia was male in S6, female in 7, change every episode in 8, usually female but sometimes male in 9

They made Aipom male in 9 and I wrote in the lists for 10 to fix it to female... but be sure they'll continue to act like it's male despite how Dawn clearly say it's female

Yeah I know I once again wrote too much... whatever... maybe it'll be interesting for some people who would like to know about other dubs
    I really hope to be a translator and save Pokémon from this horrible translation

I had absolutely no idea he was responsible for anything like that.
    Well I didn't really had the chance to write about this here until now
    Though maybe I did say something and just don't remember XD
    Last edited by Piplup; 4th November 2008 at 11:12 AM.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 2nd February 2013, 05:32 PM
  2. 2nd February 2013, 05:11 PM