Dogasu's Backpack Discussion - Page 144
Page 144 of 155 FirstFirst ... 4494134142143144145146154 ... LastLast
Results 2,146 to 2,160 of 2316

Thread: Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

Default Re: Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

Very good. I plan on ordering those Rival Destinies sets after I sell my books back from this term. One of my plans for this year is to fill in the blank spaces in my DVD collection.

Blog Entries

Why did the funny episode comparisons stop? :(
    A true friend freely, advises justly, assists readily, adventures boldly, takes all patiently, defends courageously, and continues a friend unchangeably.
    -William Penn

Quote Originally Posted by Hinokou View Post
    Because he has a LOT of other things to do

Exactly. He's got a backlog all the way to Shalour City, and I imagine it's going to take a while. Just as well, it will give me time to catch up on XY The Series myself and train my roster. My new rotation includes Helioptile (Alexa), Dedenne (Minnie), Hawlucha (Falco), Dragalge (Medusa), and Goomy (Fullgore) alongside my champion Greninja, Rash.

Regarding the originally planned schedule for these Kanto episodes, Pocket Monsters Encore aired these episodes in what was most likely the originally intended order (for the most part... they initially skipped the Aopulco episode due to there being no English dub to use for their alternate audio track, before eventually airing it later with stereo/mono versions of the Japanese track, and they skipped The Pikachu Forest due to that airing on the New Year Special a couple months earlier)... so yeah, it does seem there was a double episode planned, but it would've aired before the hinamatsuri episode, not after.

Also note that the Togepi egg doesn't appear in neither this episode nor the Lucky episode, so it's quite possible they were playing it safe and making absolutely sure they could shuffle the order a bit to make sure this episode could air March 3rd no matter what. All for naught, of course.
    So.

love the new comparison
    though one thing i think you missed dogasu
    the Gigantic poster thing and fiorello
    its obviously meant to spoof Titanic and Leonardo Di Caprio
    im surprised you missed that XD
    Darkrai, The lightness pokemon.

Boy, that was a doozy! (4Kids: going the extra mile to pretend that other cultures don't exist!)

Also, I'd like to point out the special guest voice over by Meta-Knight. Let's give 'im a big hand, folks!

And Dogasu, I don't think you needed explain about "chan" and "san". Most people who visit your site get it.

BTW, I like Pikachu's Jukebox
    Last edited by SammyW27; 3rd March 2014 at 11:15 AM.

Blog Entries

Awesome, a new episode comparison, Kanto too. Awesome as I only just started to watch the Japanese version of the anime religiously as well yesterday. I'm hoping that Dogasu will go back to the couple of Kanto episodes he missed at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I'm hoping that Dogasu will go back to the couple of Kanto episodes he missed at some point.
    I agree. I love episode comparisons, especially those of the Kanto saga. I really liked the newest one since I always loved the girl's day episode, and I was surprised by how many edits the dubbed version had. Anyway, I look forward to more in the future.

Huh, stuff like the princess episode make me see how much editing is 4kids did back in the day.

I thought Hoenn and later were a lot worse for edits but Kanto had it's fair share of countless edits.

Blog Entries

It's neat that this concert is playing songs from every generation and not just songs from Red and Green that most video game orchestra concerts usually do. I think Masuda is meeting with OLM to discuss when Gen VI ends and Gen VII begins, so the anime staff can adjust XY's plot accordingly.

I think the comparison of the Girl's Day episode may have to be one of my favorites yet. While you and I have had our disagreements, Dogasu; I do agree that 4Kids went overboard with the editing in most given situations, and this one takes the cake. I agree that it was a rush job, given the brightness of the repainted signs (and I thought Best Wishes and XY The Series had a thing for neon colors. Hina Town in the dub could pass for the set of Batman Forever) and the usual corny jokes (I like your renditions of Fiorello's name). Even when my interest in the franchise was rekindled as a teenager; I personally wondered how necessary all these edits were to get Western audiences to accept the franchise. Given how the series remains one of the most beloved and successful media franchises of all time and the company is now bankrupt (with what's left of it now a subsidiary of Saban Brands); I think we know who was right. Also, I'm glad you helped clear up the issue with the airing order. The official listing on Pokémon.com and on Bulbapedia's listing are as close as I can get to chronological order for my videos on the series without too many headaches; short of watching broadcast order Haruhi Suzumiya. I eagerly await your companion recap on "The Purr-fect Hero" for Children's day whenever possible. Now, back to studying for finals and training my roster in X and Y.

Heya Dogasu! I'm glad you added a page for Pocket Monsters XY Special "The Greatest Mega Evolution ~ Act I ~" I cannot help but notice a few things.

総監督 is usually translated as 'Chief Director'. I think 'General Director' isn't quite as clear as 'Chief Director', since the role is to act as an overall authority amongst the episode directors. シ リーズ構 as 'Series Construction' sort of conflicts with the シリーズコンストラクション that Shudou Takeshi used for the first series. I think 'Series Organization' or 'Series Composition' would reflect the difference in titles a bit better. 総作画監督 is again a bit misleading. The role of the Sou-Sakuga Kantoku is to act as the authority between the regular Sakuga Kantoku. For Pocket Monster XY this role is given to the Character Designer, of course, so I think the term 'chief' is a bit more explicit in detailing his role amongst his peers, rather than 'General'. While 'Kantoku' does mean 'director', I would also press for the translation of 'supervisor' here. The Sakuga Kantoku (sometimes written in shorthand as 'sakkan') is in charge of checking and correcting the key animation drawings. He doesn't actually direct, the directing for a TV episode like this is done by the 演出 (enshutsu; Episode Director). The Episode Director first checks the key animation drawings then gives them to the Animation Supervisor to correct the art of the timing. This leads us to the biggest issue here: you forgot to credit the actual episode staff! O.o

原画 (genga; key animation) is credited solely to Iwane Masa'aki. Because he provided all of the key animation he also receives the Animation Supervisor credit. The Episode Director (and Storyboarder) is Asada Yuuji, Iwane's regular Episode Director. This doesn't even begin to mention the In-between Animators and any of their Animation Supervisors (if they had any). There is also the matter of the scenario being written by Tomioka Atsuhiro, too.

Yuyama Kunihiko, Yajima Tetsuo, and Hiro'oka Toshihito have final say on every episode, but at the end of the day (with schedules as busy as they are) the heroes of this special were Asada and Iwane. It is truly their vision and I believe that deserved recognition.

Phew, thanks for the ear!
    Last edited by Yuugis Black Magician; 9th April 2014 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Added a thanks.

Follow PockyAddict On Twitter Add PockyAddict on Facebook
    Follow PockyAddict on Tumblr Visit PockyAddict's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Hinokou View Post
    He is a very busy person outside the site in his real life, many things keep him busy for months at a time so he doesn't do that much comparisons cause of that.

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by HumanDawn
    An all-new Generation VI pokemon will be teased at the end of the Genosect movie, just like how Victini was teased at the end of the Zorro'ark one back in 2010.
    Actually the movie in the end showed up Orotto in IIRC. It was in a trailer though and not meant for next year's movie.
    That was a game trailer (not a movie trailer) and it was actually shown before the movie, not after. So it doesn't quite count.

By the way, 3DS footage blown up on the big screen looks about as shitty as you'd imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by ii kanji
    I was also wondering (on the presumption that you own/have listened to the Musashi edition of these CDs) was there anything noteworthy said in the interview tracks they added to that first CD? I can't seem to find any information on these anywhere.
    Of course I own the Musashi CD! I wouldn't have been able to attend the Secret Live event if I didn't!

The added tracks on all the CDs are just fun little extras that, as far as I can remember, don't give us any additional information. Though I'll certainly be going back and taking a look at those at some point in time.

Also, a lot of the tracks taken directly from the radio show are uncut versions of what ended up being played on-air. I guess some of them ran long and therefore had to be cut down or something?

Quote Originally Posted by MizuTaipu
    Dogasu, I'm curious as to why you romanized フラダリ as Fleur-de-Lys in your 2/2014 summary.
    As you probably already know, Lysandre's name is based on the flower "Fleur-de-lis." I swapped out the "i" for a "y" for two reasons: one, having the "y" there helps people who aren't familiar with the Japanese version identify who the character is a bit easier, and two, because corrupting the spelling of the flower's name helps make the man's name seem a bit more like a person's name, if that makes any sense.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyd2
    love the new comparison
    though one thing i think you missed dogasu
    the Gigantic poster thing and fiorello
    its obviously meant to spoof Titanic and Leonardo Di Caprio
    im surprised you missed that XD
    It *is* totally obvious!

Except that Fiorello doesn't look, talk, act, or resemble Leonardo DiCaprio in any way whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Ryu
    I thought Hoenn and later were a lot worse for edits but Kanto had it's fair share of countless edits.
    Kanto definitely got edited more. By the time Hoenn rolled around the show was being made with international audiences in mind and so things like episodes dedicated entirely to Japan-only holidays weren't being made anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Yuugis Black Magician
    Heya Dogasu! I'm glad you added a page for Pocket Monsters XY Special "The Greatest Mega Evolution ~ Act I ~" I cannot help but notice a few things.

総監督 is usually translated as 'Chief Director'. I think 'General Director' isn't quite as clear as 'Chief Director', since the role is to act as an overall authority amongst the episode directors. シ リーズ構 as 'Series Construction' sort of conflicts with the シリーズコンストラクション that Shudou Takeshi used for the first series. I think 'Series Organization' or 'Series Composition' would reflect the difference in titles a bit better. 総作画監督 is again a bit misleading. The role of the Sou-Sakuga Kantoku is to act as the authority between the regular Sakuga Kantoku. For Pocket Monster XY this role is given to the Character Designer, of course, so I think the term 'chief' is a bit more explicit in detailing his role amongst his peers, rather than 'General'. While 'Kantoku' does mean 'director', I would also press for the translation of 'supervisor' here. The Sakuga Kantoku (sometimes written in shorthand as 'sakkan') is in charge of checking and correcting the key animation drawings. He doesn't actually direct, the directing for a TV episode like this is done by the 演出 (enshutsu; Episode Director). The Episode Director first checks the key animation drawings then gives them to the Animation Supervisor to correct the art of the timing.
    Thanks for all that. I'll take another look at the translations and adjust them accordingly.

I use those same translations on pages like the ones dedicated to each movie and the comparisons of the opening themes, so if I change anything I'll have to change it on several pages throughout the site.

Quote Originally Posted by Yuugis Black Magician
    This leads us to the biggest issue here: you forgot to credit the actual episode staff! O.o
    I didn't forget; it's just that the staff list I have up on my site is merely what was provided by the official site for the special. They didn't list Iwane or Tomioka or any of the others, so I didn't either. You can argue that I *should* include those people since, like you said, they deserve recognition, but if I had taken the time to go through the credits and pick out the ones I thought were important it would have taken me even longer to get that update up. And, quite frankly, it was late enough as it was.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on July 21st, 2015