Dogasu's Backpack Discussion - Page 14

Page 14 of 145 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114 ... LastLast
Like Tree265Likes

Thread: Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Weedle Mchairybug View Post
    Yeah, but... that doesn't really explain how Dogasu managed to get a copy of it if it didn't get released on VHS or even DVD box sets in America.
    People who recorded the episode when it first aired were able to rip it and upload it on places like YouTube.

Say, I wonder if people tried to e-mail PUSA about it, they could let Viz release it as an extra on a later DVD? I mean, it's worth a shot.

I doubt that. The quality of episode suggests that it was a rushjob (not actual recording, but cutting and all these technical things - hence different titlefont), but i think it was recorded along with season 1.

- False. Ash was too high pitch the way he sounded in Orange Islands, Matty was voicing Meowth, and the Pokemon World theme song is used.

To be honest I'm kind of glad that the episode was skipped it was really the first dragger episode outside of the Moonstone episode in Indigo that I can think of.

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

I'll have to recheck the third episode and listen out for Kasumi's line.

But I have a character model sheet of Kasumi from the beginning of the series (it's in this book that kind of goes through the first ten episodes or so and includes all sorts of neat behind-the-scenes stuff), and I swear there's a note on there that says she's 12 (just like there's a note on Takeshi's sheet saying he's 15).

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemaster Justin
    I can understand your logic in wanting to redo the old comparisons to fit up to your new standard of reviews, but I still would like to see unfinished ones done first.
    I prefer to do the episodes in order :P

Besides...it's not like I have that long to go before I start having a steady flow of episodes I haven't written comparisons for yet. I'll be getting those done before you know it.

I alwyas thought it was neat what you pointed out, and yes, even though your views were a bit extreme and fanboyish it added some charm to your little site.
    Well...part of me redoing these older comparisons is to get rid of a lot of the blind fanboyism that plagued a lot of the earlier stuff on the site. Hopefully, I'm succeeding somewhat.

Quote Originally Posted by Weedle McHairybug
    Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention, I know that the town's name in the Japanese version was Acapulco, but most likely it's not the same place as the one in Mexico
    It's not...like Adamant said, the place in Pocket Monsters is Aopulco, while the place in real-world Mexico is Acapulco. The names are similar (and the name of the resort in the anime is most likely based off the real-world place), but they're not the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemaster Justin
    To be honest I'm kind of glad that the episode was skipped it was really the first dragger episode outside of the Moonstone episode in Indigo that I can think of.
    I never understood that kind of logic. "*I* don't like such-and-such episode, so it shouldn't exist?"
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on April 22nd, 2014

| My DVD Collection | My Video Game Collection |
    These lists were last updated on January 3rd, 2012

A black and white world Blackjack Gabbiani's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Huh, I always thought Delia won the trophy in the first demonstration of her mysterious power to manipulate others needlessly.

You know, in the dub, the trophy could have already said "first place in our hearts" and they just inscribed his name on it quickly. Such an inscription would fit the show since it was also a pokemon showoff as well, *and* it would make sense that they would have an inscriber on hand for whoever the winner would be.

Say, on the subject of Delia, has she ever actually been addressed as Hanako? We all know it's her name through things like credits and books and things, but they seem to go out of their way to avoid saying it aloud (and let's face it, no matter what you think of their relationship, she and Oak are *FRIENDS*, so for her to address her as "Satoshi no mama-san" after all this time is REALLY weird, even with formality).

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

Regardless of how weird it is...I don't think the character's ever referred to as Hanako through dialogue.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on April 22nd, 2014

| My DVD Collection | My Video Game Collection |
    These lists were last updated on January 3rd, 2012

So how is she refered to? do they just call her Satoshi's Mother?

They should restore the episode, redub it (to correct the 4-kids flaws) and pack it as an easter egg on a future dvd release!
    Last edited by beast2025; 27th October 2008 at 05:57 AM. Reason: typo

I am a Proud Sarah Brightman Fan!

追放されたバカ

So Delia was never referred to by Hanako, period?

So... she was also called Satoshi's Mother by Professor Oak in the second movie as well?

If that's so, then that's certainly news to me.

Since we now know that the Porta Vista in Beauty and the Beach and Tentacool and Tentacruel, do you suppose they are neighboring towns (Similar to Celadon and Saffron Cities? or East/West Berlin, technically speaking?)

Quote Originally Posted by Weedle Mchairybug View Post
    So... she was also called Satoshi's Mother by Professor Oak in the second movie as well?
    Yep, just checked - he refers to her as "Satoshi no mama-san", which sounds... really weird. Having him refer to her by her name is one of the better changes the dub made.
    So.

Pokemon Master in College Miki-Fan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Something I found odd about the dub

From Dogasu's Backpack:
    Originally, Takeshi's mom didn't pass away. She, like her husband, simply abandoned the family. I guess 4Kids didn't want Brock to have two deadbeat parents, so they killed one of them off
    I mean, there's millions of kids who have deadbeat parents/families, so I don't get why 4Kids would make an edit like this. But then again, there's millions of kids who have only one parent

Blog Entries

I guess they thought that one scene in "Showdown in Pewter City" would be way more sad if they wrote that into the script.

Anyway, I don't know why they originally said that Brock's mom was dead in the dub. But oh well, changes like that don't bother me.... ^^;

Protecting Gotham City Geodude's Avatar Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Geodude On Twitter
    Follow Geodude on Tumblr

Extremely old news. For things like this, please search for the thread that was created for the episode in question and post it there. The no-bumping general rule doesn't apply to episode discussion threads unless the bump is pure spam.

edit: Merged with the Dogasu's Backpack thread, since there is no thread for that episode, and Dogasu is currently doing Kanto episodes.
    Last edited by Geodude; 29th October 2008 at 04:51 AM.

XBL: Shiny Geodude -- PSN: ShinyGeodude

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Dogasu, this might be going into the past a bit, but why did you say the last contest with Squirtle Vs. Banette was an unfair win?
    http://dogasu.bulbagarden.net/comparisons/battle_frontier/ep176.html

I've agreed with your views on all of May's other contest battles over the years, but not this one. I just rewatched this battle today and I don't understand how you came to that conclusion. The point bar didn't do anything crazy, Squirtle did not take that much damage without giving damage back to Banette, and it came right down to the wire. You also didn't mention its the only contest in the series that came down to Sudden Death, and even in the overtime the battle was a back and forth brawl with no weird things happening.

If you still have the episode, I suggest you rewatch the last battle part, because I think like how you're re-doing some Kanto comparisons and editing away old things, your opinion part of this one should be as well. Perhaps you just had the fandom's view on the pokemon altering your judgment at the time from what was actually a good battle?

I'm just curious what you think.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Adamant View Post
    Yep, just checked - he refers to her as "Satoshi no mama-san", which sounds... really weird. Having him refer to her by her name is one of the better changes the dub made.
    I fully agree with this. I mean, it's one thing to have a character, give them a name, and just not have an opportunity to *say* those names (several movie characters come to mind*), but to go OUT OF YOUR WAY to AVOID saying the name of a recurring character where she would naturally BE addressed? Everyone else's parents got names, those who get shown anyway. This'd be like if Yuri called Ayako "Hikari no mama-san" all the time--like Delia and Oak, they've known each other for years as well.

(*on a note about movie characters with unsaid names, remember how no one could figure out who this "David" guy that Yamadera was credited as playing in 3 was? According to my movie guide, he's the mansion's butler)

EP20 comparison
    "Let's go on the ferris wheel!"
    Lol, I suppose that is pretty sad. Repeating it is pretty lame, dubbers.

On the other hand, about hiding the fact that the show is Japanese...I suppose there are kids out that who aren't aware that Pokémon is Japanese. Also, dubbers probably cover up the Japanese characters so kids won't be lost as to what they say. Still, getting rid of the festival and culture references is kinda unnecessary...(but actually, kids probably won't know what the ofuda strips are, so calling them anti-ghost stickers is somewhat acceptable)

Octopus and mongoose...lots of references to non-Pokemon (at first anyways) animals.

Blog Entries

What I find funny is that nowadays Japanese food *is* international food...at least in this part of the world it is. You can get sushi, soba, and tempura at any grocery store, even the really crappy ones.

Although I don't think, with the prevalance of McDonalds in Japan, that having Satoshi like hamburgers is taking away from his Japaneseness or making him "ashamed".

Again, I like the varied flavor (meaning that literally here!) that drawing from sources other than Japan brings. Although also again, it'd be nice for them to *include* Japan more often. (I think at Ash's party at the end of Kanto didn't they have takoyaki, burgers, and pasta? That was a nice mix...and showed Delia's massive cooking skillz!)

I agree that "stickers" make sense. It fits with the wackyness of the "old woman" considering she's not entirely there. And they *did* stick right on so they had to have some manner of adhesive...

Although the penny edit makes no sense even if the series took place in a region meaning to represent the US considering that no region uses American money. If they have the programming skills to edit in a penny, they have the programming skills to edit in something that looks original, because for pete's sake, that symbol they use in the English editions of the games isn't $.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 2nd February 2013, 05:32 PM
  2. 2nd February 2013, 05:11 PM