Dogasu's Backpack Discussion - Page 134
Page 134 of 151 FirstFirst ... 3484124132133134135136144 ... LastLast
Results 1,996 to 2,010 of 2254

Thread: Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

Follow PockyAddict On Twitter Add PockyAddict on Facebook
    Follow PockyAddict on Tumblr Visit PockyAddict's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

Bravo on this comparasion once again! And yes, Looking back on it know, I also sorta wished that they scrapped the anti-fighting lines in the dub. It would have pretty hypocritical coming from a franchise that basically based on fighting creatures til they faint.

I did not know that phillip bartlett died. :( And reading your comparison was the first time that I have heard about his death. And yeah, Christina A was the few names that recognized on the paragraph of songs (and baby spice [emma bunton] from the spice girls.) they were able to get some known people on the second movie (the late donna summer) and then I think on the 3rd movie on, they started using inhouse songs for the dub.

By googling M2M, they were basically one of those splash in the pan girl groups that were common back in the late 90s early 2000s. I had sorta forgot about those girls. ^^;

someone in the dark garrison-san's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow garrison-san On Twitter
    Follow garrison-san on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by PockyAddict View Post
    And yeah, Christina A was the few names that recognized on the paragraph of songs (and baby spice [emma bunton] from the spice girls.) they were able to get some known people on the second movie (the late donna summer) and then I think on the 3rd movie on, they started using inhouse songs for the dub.
    I was gonna say, I'd have thought Emma Bunton would have been a fairly recognisable name back in 1999, as she was one of the Spice Girls. Then again, I'm not sure how many people actually knew them individually or just as "the Spice Girls". I often get confused over which of them was which myself.

[QUOTE=WatcherMark;4773951]
    Quote Originally Posted by PockyAddict View Post
    By googling M2M, they were basically one of those splash in the pan girl groups that were common back in the late 90s early 2000s. I had sorta forgot about those girls. ^^;
    I owned the single of 'Don't Say You Love It' at the time, but I can't recall if it's still buried deep in the house somewhere or if it was long since lost/thrown away.

The single had two music videos... one which contains clips of the movie and one which doesn't (this version doesn't have sound due to a copyright claim... which is weird considering its one a channel claiming to be the official one). To be honest, I actually quite liked the song back then and do now. I just don't know what the hell it was doing on a Pokemon movie. Like Haigney and Grossfield just got a list of upcoming songs and picked one at random. It's got nothing to do with the film, and despite being boasted (in the UK at least) as the official single of the film it appeared right at the very end when the credits reached the logos.

I'll never understand the dub sometimes.

Also, as a result of this I'm trying to decide which dub is the most offensive... Mewtwo Strikes Back or The Legend of Thunder.

*Incidentally, if you're wondering, this single proved that everything Pokemon touched didn't turn to gold as it only reached Number 16 in the UK which led to M2M not getting anymore songs released onto British shores. They didn't have much more luck anywhere else, despite making it to Number 2 in the US.

Blog Entries

Wow, I'm sorry you had to go through all that torture. However, this comparison was easily one of your best and I pretty much agree with all that you said.

I never particularly liked the Mewtwo's Counterattack dub when I first saw it in theaters and I was very happy when I found a fansub of the Japanese version 6 years ago. It's great to see a well-written comparison between the two that can be read by those who loved the first movie dub.

Also, as a bonus, here's an essay/rant someone wrote for your website 13 years ago! An Essay on Myuutsu no Gyakushuu ("Mewtwo Strikes Back")

EEEE-YIPE! What a mess!

Arceusdammit, 4Kids, WHAT THE FUCK WERE YOU THINKING?!?!

The worst part? This was the most exposure a great many Americans were given to Pokémon...and boy did it EVER give them the wrong idea!

EDIT: and another thing...

Also, the dub adds in all these explosions and the sound of people screaming in the background to make it sound like Dr. Fuji was recording all this during Mewtwo's rampage that destroyed the lab. None of this is in the Japanese version, which tells us that this was all recorded before Myuutwo woke up and started killing everyone around it, not after.
    Really 4Kids? You go the extra mile to remove violence & death in everything else you dub, but ADD elements to make Mewtwo into a murderer? REALLY?!?
    Last edited by SammyW27; 16th June 2013 at 04:06 PM.

Follow PockyAddict On Twitter Add PockyAddict on Facebook
    Follow PockyAddict on Tumblr Visit PockyAddict's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by SammyW27 View Post
    EEEE-YIPE! What a mess!

Arceusdammit, 4Kids, WHAT THE FUCK WERE YOU THINKING?!?!

The worst part? This was the BIGGEST exposure a great many Americans were given to Pokémon...and boy did it ever give them the wrong idea
    And yep, prob the only exposure that some people (older adults,movie critics, like parents and others) got of the show.

someone in the dark garrison-san's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow garrison-san On Twitter
    Follow garrison-san on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by WatcherMark View Post
    To be honest, I actually quite liked the song back then and do now. I just don't know what the hell it was doing on a Pokemon movie. Like Haigney and Grossfield just got a list of upcoming songs and picked one at random. It's got nothing to do with the film
    I feel that way about the entire soundtrack, pretty much. The whole thing was clearly assembled to have as much teen pop appeal as possible, with actual relevance to anything going on in the movie itself firmly a second priority. "If Only Tears Could Bring You Back" by Midnight Sons has at least some plot relevance. "Catch Me If You Can" by Angela Via? Okay, I can see a vague kind of Pokemon connection there. I suspect that the Britney Spears song, "Soda Pop", got on because the lyrics mention "fire and ice" at one point. For everything else I draw a blank. :p
    Last edited by garrison-san; 10th June 2013 at 12:16 PM.

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

Thanks for all the feedback everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by PockyAddict
    I did not know that phillip bartlett died.
    I didn't either until I started work on the comparison :/ I guess that's why Dan Green hda to take over for him in Mewtwo Returns.

Quote Originally Posted by garrison-san
    I was gonna say, I'd have thought Emma Bunton would have been a fairly recognisable name back in 1999, as she was one of the Spice Girls.
    Did anyone know the Spice Girls' real names back then? I would have thought that more people would have been familiar with their nicknames (Crazy, Sporty, Scary, etc.).

Case in point: I had no idea Emma Bunton was a Spice Girl.

Quote Originally Posted by WatcherMark
    Also, as a result of this I'm trying to decide which dub is the most offensive... Mewtwo Strikes Back or The Legend of Thunder.
    Mewtwo Strikes Back, hands down. As I mention in the comparison, Mewtwo Strikes Back is a way more important part of the lore than the Raikou special. It sucking as bad as it did had a much bigger effect on the franchise.

Though I think we can agree that both dubs are atrocious.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on March 23rd, 2015

Like you comparison article. I've been following the comparisons between the scripts ever since stumbling upon Copycat's tribute site to Mewtwo.

On a semi-related note, if the English script wasn't butchered and the animé in general was of a higher quality, who do you think Mewtwo's English voice should have been? Personally, I was thinking something along the lines of Timothy Dalton; his voice has a similar tone to Ichimura Masachika and he has the ability to convey such a personality as Mewtwo's.
    Last edited by KingMan; 10th June 2013 at 11:09 PM.

Onduru ruragittan disukaa Garren's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I didn't either until I started work on the comparison :/ I guess that's why Dan Green hda to take over for him in Mewtwo Returns.
    And apparently now he's out of the voice business to take care of his kids after his wife died in child birth.

Registered User Trainer Gabriel's Avatar
    Blog Entries

*claps*

That may have been a quite a bit of reading, and I may have already seen a subbed version of the film - twice, and more recently the second time - but that was still a lot of fun to read. I applaud all the time and effort put into it, Dogasu.

Blog Entries
    Follow FANG-TAN On Twitter
    Visit FANG-TAN's Youtube Channel

"Despite all this, there's a lot to like about the movie. As I mentioned earlier, Ichimura Masachika is amazing as Myuutwo and I'd probably go as far as saying that his performance here is probably my favorite out of the entire franchise. Yes, even more than the trio of voice actors who perform the Rocket-Dan! I remember being flabbergasted at people when they heard Takashima Reiko's performance of Myuutwo in that trailer for The Extreme Speed Genosect and the Awakening of Myuutwo and were wondering if it had the same voice it had from the first movie because there are actually people out there, in the year 2013, who have never heard Masachika Ichimura's Myuutwo before. I just can't wrap my head around that."

I agree wholeheartedly with this, Dogasu. There's absolutely no excuse to have not watched the Japanese version of this movie, in this day and age.

ぼくの一番大好きなアニメはCCさくらですよ。
    MY ANIME BLOG | YOUTUBE | TWITTER | JAPAN-BEST | SHANA

Quote Originally Posted by FANG-TAN View Post
    I agree wholeheartedly with this, Dogasu. There's absolutely no excuse to have not watched the Japanese version of this movie, in this day and age.
    I disagree that fans should be expected to buy the Japanese DVD, especially since the English subtitles are merely taken from the American DVD. Of course, there are other ways to watch the movie, but not ones that Dogasu supports...

Blog Entries
    Follow FANG-TAN On Twitter
    Visit FANG-TAN's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Silktree View Post
    Of course, there are other ways to watch the movie, but not ones that Dogasu supports...
    Seeing how horrible the dub of this movie is, he might as well. I personally wouldn't throw my money away for this pile of crap.

It makes no sense for people who kept up with Naruto and even 4Kids' One Piece back in the day to really be bound by those morals. A good chunk of those people are part of the number who associate this dub with Mewtwo Strikes Back, too.
    Last edited by FANG-TAN; 11th June 2013 at 12:31 PM.

ぼくの一番大好きなアニメはCCさくらですよ。
    MY ANIME BLOG | YOUTUBE | TWITTER | JAPAN-BEST | SHANA

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by KingMan
    On a semi-related note, if the English script wasn't butchered and the animé in general was of a higher quality, who do you think Mewtwo's English voice should have been? Personally, I was thinking something along the lines of Timothy Dalton; his voice has a similar tone to Ichimura Masachika and he has the ability to convey such a personality as Mewtwo's.
    I'm not sure. Phillip Bartlett would have been OK if he had been directed better - the voice was fine, but his delivery completely ruined the performance. Stop overemphasizing every other syllable!!

The director of the first movie knew Mr. Ichimura from his work on Broadway musicals, apparently (he was in the Japanese version of Jesus Christ Superstar and The Phantom of the Opera), so if the English version had an unlimited budget then I would have really liked to have seen them pull in someone with similar credentials for the English dub. I'm unfortunately not familiar enough with Broadway to know who that someone would be, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Silktree
    I disagree that fans should be expected to buy the Japanese DVD, especially since the English subtitles are merely taken from the American DVD.
    The Region 2 DVD's only $15 on Amazon Japan. Your computer should be able to play the disc without any problem as long as it's not a complete piece of crap.

Shipping's expensive, so just throw in another item or two to get the most bang for your buck. There must be a soundtrack or something out there you've been meaning to pick up.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on March 23rd, 2015