Dogasu's Backpack Discussion - Page 13

Page 13 of 145 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast
Like Tree263Likes

Thread: Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

追放されたバカ

Pidgeotto and Butterfree don't get to join the fun because the writers hate them, notice how once the Kanto starters are captured those two do nothing and eventually get released? Kinda sad, but oh well.
    I figured the reason why they didn't get caught up in the events is because they would have ended it soon since they could fly and help everyone find their trainers.

@Dogasu: I'll give you Geodude (though considering Starmie and Staryu, I'm pretty sure that, considering their frame, they would be able to levitate higher than Geodude, at least [just have them spin around multiple times and move at the same time in the upward direction, and it should have them reach the peak of the trees].), But with Onix, considering it's aquaphobia, I think it could stick out, and thus can't really risk trying to go near the shore of the Island.

Anyone miss updates? :(

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

*points to sig*
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on April 14th, 2014

| My DVD Collection | My Video Game Collection |
    These lists were last updated on January 3rd, 2012

Sorry if I sound like a moron, but what does FTP stand for?

I am a Proud Sarah Brightman Fan!

File Transfer Protocol? Basically, in this case, problems uploading files to the server, I think.

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

My goal is to have it resolved by Wednesday my time. Hopefully.

At least I can still upload videos to DailyMotion...
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on April 14th, 2014

| My DVD Collection | My Video Game Collection |
    These lists were last updated on January 3rd, 2012

Hopefully in the meantime you're working on more though...

I can understand your logic in wanting to redo the old comparisons to fit up to your new standard of reviews, but I still would like to see unfinished ones done first.

I alwyas thought it was neat what you pointed out, and yes, even though your views were a bit extreme and fanboyish it added some charm to your little site.

The Pokemon Shipwreck comparison was the most enjoyment I got from your site in ahwile, besides the new comparions with misc time cuts, and what have you. I hope you continue in your mission to redo all the old ones, but in the mean time, it wouldn't hurt if you sneak a new one in here and there?? ;p

Holiday at Aopulco episode- lol, the Ryu dialogue part sure is interesting trivia.

"(Kasumi is twelve years old, so if she was eight years older, she'd be twenty. Twenty is the age when most people in Japan are considered to be adults)."
    Isn't Kasumi in the anime technically 10?

No.

It wasn't until about two years later that 4Kids finally got around to dubbing it, cutting out the offending scenes in the process and giving the episode the "lost episode" label
    I doubt that. The quality of episode suggests that it was a rushjob (not actual recording, but cutting and all these technical things - hence different titlefont), but i think it was recorded along with season 1.

BTW, did you know that PokeRAP order actually counts all banned episodes and the "moved" ones in original order?

Kasumi hinted in the third episode of the anime that she was ten years old. It wasn't present in the English version however.

+Satoshi Fangirl+

追放されたバカ

Hey, Dogasu?

I read your review of Beauty and the Beach (Speaking of which, how did you come across it? I thought they didn't release it on video or even DVD?), and I thought it's somewhat good. Only thing I thought should have been written better (or at least clarified) is this piece:

Dialogue Edit
    The creepiness of an old man befriending a bunch of preteens is present in both versions, but this line, uttered by Moe, is considerably watered down. This happens right as Moe meets Misty for the first time:

Moe: "You remind me of my granddaughter."
    Misty: "We don't have any money, but we'd be happy to work to pay for any damages."

Originally, Ryuu tells Kasumi that things would be more fun if she was eight years older.

(Kasumi is twelve years old, so if she was eight years older, she'd be twenty. Twenty is the age when most people in Japan are considered to be adults).

The reason why is because I was certain that Misty was actually ten instead of twelve, contrary to what "Electric tale of Pikachu" would lead you to believe.

I mean, I thought she was ten (and some other people, not to mention, as Scott85, Crystal Clair, and a few others) said that she said in the Japanese raw of "Ash catches a pokemon" that "This is the worst thing that's ever happened to me in the ten years of my life!" after she wakes up to see Caterpie sleeping near her. So, anyways, wouldn't that actually make her 18 instead of 20? Just wondering, you know.

Anyways, nice point in that they never clarified the issue as to who won the beauty pagent (Heck, maybe Misty won it, for all we know. Actually, that would have been the more logical choice, as they can't just give it to Gary's cheerleading squad, as that would require them to be given to the entire squad, which, in one-man (or one woman, in this case) competitions, doesn't work. JJM definitely couldn't have gotten it, as they were most likely disqualified.).

Note, I've never seen the episode, so what am I supposed to know?

Ultimate Trainer (I wish) monkeyjb1988's Avatar

Smile

I just read your new comparisons...very good. Your site is king for finding differences between the original and the dub (short of watching both versions, but who has time for that?)

追放されたバカ

Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention, I know that the town's name in the Japanese version was Acapulco, but most likely it's not the same place as the one in Mexico, as Acapulco is... 7148 miles from Yokohama (the closest location to Maiden's Peak, as that's near Vermillion city, the Pokemon world's equivalent.), and 20 knots is the average speed of a cruise liner, which equates to roughly 1.15 miles (I assume that's per hour.), taking that into account, we divide 1.15 mph by 7148 miles and we get 6215.65, or 6216, hours, which equates to 259 days, which is about 8 and 2/3 months, max, which wouldn't make any sort of sense considering how Brock is acting like Summer's over and it's the end of his world in the next episode (which definitely had to be in the original version), plus the fact that it will probably invalidate Ash's Boulder, Cascade, and Thunder badges (as Pokemon League matches were stated to be every year.), and besides which, it took at least a day on the St. Anne before it sank, and they had to have landed somewhere not too far from shipwreck.

Sorry for the block of text, but I was trying to calculate the distance between the REAL acapulco and Yokohama, and showed it's not possible, even for this anime, to have them get back to port at Maidens peak in less than a few months (by that, I mean three.). Even with the revelation that it's not Porta Vista, but in actuality, Hatoba Port, it's very unlikely, as it's near Acapulco in this episode. Besides, if it was indeed the real Acapulco, then the characters other than the heroes, Team Rocket, Gary and his cheerleaders and maybe Brutella and Moe has to be speaking Spanish or one of the Mexican dialect (since that's the primary languages of that city, or rather Mexico). I mean, if they can pull off Lt. Surge speaking english in the original version of the anime, they can do the same thing here as well.

Since it was aired in the middle of the Orange Islands arc (specifically, between "The Mystery Menace" and "Misty Meets Her Match") and dubbed as a one-off, it probably isn't included with any season packs and is therefore unavailable for companies like Viz to release on VHS or DVD. Probably.
    Most definitly. Foreign redubbers of the English versions of the Pokemon anime license the series from 4Kids/PUSA season by season, and "Beauty and The Beach" is not part of any such season pack available for the licensors, which means the episode has never been aired in any country that licenses the series through the Americans. If the episode isn't available for them to license, I don't really see how it can be available for Viz either.

Quote Originally Posted by Weedle Mchairybug View Post
    Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention, I know that the town's name in the Japanese version was Acapulco
    It's Aopulco. "Ao" is Japanese for blue, so it's a pun on the actual Acapulco. Puns like that are somewhat uncommon in the series, but they're not totally unheard of.
    Last edited by Adamant; 26th October 2008 at 05:44 PM.
    So.

追放されたバカ

Quote Originally Posted by Adamant View Post
    Most definitly. Foreign redubbers of the English versions of the Pokemon anime license the series from 4Kids/PUSA season by season, and "Beauty and The Beach" is not part of any such season pack available for the licensors, which means the episode has never been aired in any country that licenses the series through the Americans. If the episode isn't available for them to license, I don't really see how it can be available for Viz either.
    Yeah, but... that doesn't really explain how Dogasu managed to get a copy of it if it didn't get released on VHS or even DVD box sets in America.

Edit: crud! I misnamed it! aw well, it did sound similar anyways.
    Last edited by Weedle Mchairybug; 26th October 2008 at 05:51 PM.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 2nd February 2013, 05:32 PM
  2. 2nd February 2013, 05:11 PM