Dogasu's Backpack Discussion - Page 128

Page 128 of 145 FirstFirst ... 2878118126127128129130138 ... LastLast
Results 1,906 to 1,920 of 2164
Like Tree263Likes

Thread: Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

Registered User Trainer Gabriel's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

I should have visited Dogasu's site yesterday so I could have read the new (or rather, reworked) comparison on the appropriate day. Oh well...

I had thought that this would have been a good time to do a comparison for said episode - with Japan re-airing an edited version of it and Suede from TGWTG uploading his own video review of it - and so I'm glad that you did decide to do so, Dogasu.

Blog Entries

The dub turning James and Meowth into assholes? What a shock.

It's nice to have a reminder that TPCI aren't the only ones pulling that crap.

Santa: "My Jynx was bringing you your presents that Christmas, saw your favorite doll was broken, and brought it back to me so I could fix it. I repaired it in my sleigh and we tried to go back, but you didn't believe in me anymore, and I'm powerless to go where hearts are closed."
    And now even Santa is an asshole? What the hell 4Kids. Why do you hate Jessie so much.
    SammyW27 likes this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
    The dub turning James and Meowth into assholes? What a shock.

It's nice to have a reminder that TPCI aren't the only ones pulling that crap.

Santa: "My Jynx was bringing you your presents that Christmas, saw your favorite doll was broken, and brought it back to me so I could fix it. I repaired it in my sleigh and we tried to go back, but you didn't believe in me anymore, and I'm powerless to go where hearts are closed."
    And now even Santa is an asshole? What the hell 4Kids. Why do you hate Jessie so much.
    Santa doesn't come off as an asshole to me, honestly. I always grew up hearing "if you don't believe in Santa, he won't believe in you," and it's not as though there haven't been a million Christmas movies and specials with that sentiment as their central theme.

I mean, I'm as big a Jessie fan as they come, and I don't see the hate there. It's just a common aspect of a lot of Santa mythology. Even Terry Pratchett used something to that effect in Hogfather.
    LJ~dA~R100~YT~Twitter~Facebook~Last.fm~Tumblr~Glacidia Network

A bitch lives as free as a bird that can never be caught. I'm a bitch. I'll crush anyone that stands in my way! And I do what the hell I want!

So, there's a new version of Holiday Hi-Jynx with purple Jynx? I wonder if this means that dancing Clefairy will be added to Hypno's Naptime; and it's made so Paras will shoot first in The Problem with Paras. Maybe they'll even make the guns in Here Comes the Squirtle Squad into giant two-way radios.
    SammyW27 and martianmister like this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarAce2015 View Post
    So, there's a new version of Holiday Hi-Jynx with purple Jynx? I wonder if this means that dancing Clefairy will be added to Hypno's Naptime; and it's made so Paras will shoot first in The Problem with Paras. Maybe they'll even make the guns in Here Comes the Squirtle Squad into giant two-way radios.
    That's not the same thing at all. Those things were never issues.

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

He was making a reference to George Lucas' re-release of Star Wars with the first two and the edited version of the movie E.T. in the second. AvatarAce2015 wasn't being serious.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on April 20th, 2014

| My DVD Collection | My Video Game Collection |
    These lists were last updated on January 3rd, 2012

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu View Post
    He was making a reference to George Lucas' re-release of Star Wars with the first two and the edited version of the movie E.T. in the second. AvatarAce2015 wasn't being serious.
    I'm well aware what he meant. Doesn't make it any less silly to say.

Onduru ruragittan disukaa Garren's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yeah, what's up with Japanese Blu-Ray Prices?

Like, I'm looking forward to buying the (reportedly) unedited subbed/dubbed version of the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Anime that's coming out in January on Blu-Ray, but they're apparently like 60$ for 4 30-minute episodes. Why? Is there some economic reason Blu-Rays are so costly in Japan.

Ultimate Trainer (I wish) monkeyjb1988's Avatar

Thank you Dogasu for reviewing the set. Very much appreciated. Not sure I'll get the set, but glad to know what would be involved. Thanks again. :)
    The only good human is a dead human!

Oops! Wrong franchise.

(Pikachu gives Monkeyjb1988 a Thunderbolt for being an idiot)

A thousand Meowth are looking up at the night sky with tears in their eyes. None of them will be looking for loose change tonight.

A thousand condolences to all Maddie Blaustein fans. She will be missed forever more. Maddie Blaustein 1960-2008

Quote Originally Posted by Quattro ~ Bajeena View Post
    Like, I'm looking forward to buying the (reportedly) unedited subbed/dubbed version of the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Anime that's coming out in January on Blu-Ray, but they're apparently like 60$ for 4 30-minute episodes. Why? Is there some economic reason Blu-Rays are so costly in Japan.
    Home releases of TV anime was originally intended for the rental market, but die-hards who really wanted to purchase and own these releases made companies willing to sell them to private customers as well, at the same price range as the rental stores would pay. And since people were willing to buy them at these prices, there was obviously never a reason to reduce them, so this ended up being the standardized price range people are used to for this sort of material. Things are worth what people are willing to pay.

And of course, if you just want to watch the series, you can just go rent these very same releases for cheap. The option to purchase is a luxury offer for the biggest fans, those who want to own, watch and rewatch the material again and again. Less dedicated fans, or people just wanting to check out the series, rent it.
    So.

Bow before me, bitches! SammyW27's Avatar
    Add SammyW27 on Facebook
    Visit SammyW27's Youtube Channel

Don't feel bad, Dogasu.

There's no way anyone would've guessed that Black2/White2 would screw everything up.

I am, however, annoyed with the handling of the 3DS VC releases (or at least am sorry to hear about the Japanese front of it) and am a little surprised with no mention of a WiiU game yet.
    Being a fan means being unashamed of what you like, no matter what anyone else says

Ultimate Trainer (I wish) monkeyjb1988's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Adamant View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Quattro ~ Bajeena View Post
    Home releases of TV anime was originally intended for the rental market, but die-hards who really wanted to purchase and own these releases made companies willing to sell them to private customers as well, at the same price range as the rental stores would pay. And since people were willing to buy them at these prices, there was obviously never a reason to reduce them, so this ended up being the standardized price range people are used to for this sort of material. Things are worth what people are willing to pay.

And of course, if you just want to watch the series, you can just go rent these very same releases for cheap. The option to purchase is a luxury offer for the biggest fans, those who want to own, watch and rewatch the material again and again. Less dedicated fans, or people just wanting to check out the series, rent it.
    Ouch. That does sting. That stinks for anyone unable to get Japanese rentals in the US (If anyone can help me with that, plenty appreciated. :) ).

Sorry about the predictions Dogasu. You get credit for attempting it. :)
    The only good human is a dead human!

Oops! Wrong franchise.

(Pikachu gives Monkeyjb1988 a Thunderbolt for being an idiot)

A thousand Meowth are looking up at the night sky with tears in their eyes. None of them will be looking for loose change tonight.

A thousand condolences to all Maddie Blaustein fans. She will be missed forever more. Maddie Blaustein 1960-2008

Nice read with that look back at 2012, Dogasu. I agree that the PWT Junior cup is the weakest of the three non-Unova League tournaments in Best Wishes. At least the banter between Georgia and Burgundy was amusing (I find conversations being bounced off each other funnier than quick one-liners). I was also surprised that we got the first direct sequels to Pokémon games last year (if the in-development version of Pokémon Gold and Silver is excluded). One more thing before I go-I also think the price points for some anime are weird. Somewhat tying into Quatro's statement, I did look for DVDs of Madoka Magica, but the going rate was $40 for just 4 episodes. Strangely, my Pokémon Black and White set only cost $8, and I've seen Funimation slashing prices on the anime they own for a while now. See you space cowboy.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu
    Now I certainly don’t want to tell Japan how they should handle crises and I don’t want to judge the people who decided to ban this short. Japanese culture handles things differently, and it’s not our place to look down on them and tell them that they're overreacting.
    If I were on another forum I might say something about that statement being reactionary post-modernist cultural relativism, or how there are other (far more significant) dividing lines than nationality (class, for instance) and therefore that it's ridiculous to equate looking down on arbitrary moralist revisionism of an animated kids' show about electric rodents and looking down on an entire people, because Japanese people are not all wealthy studio executives and state officials, and did not collectively ban the short. Or, you know, that culture is not an excuse for everything, and that we should look past culture in favor of more internationalist, universalist values where one's personal recreational lives are not to be used as an excuse to ban things no matter what country they hail from. Solidarity with Sakai. People's personal lives are not 'crises'.

But I am not on another forum, so I will simply agree with you that it would have been far more logical to just use a different ending theme song. (and perhaps replace the instrumental version as well) They could have done it easily if they wanted to do so.
    Last edited by ArginX; 1st January 2013 at 07:54 PM.
    martianmister likes this.

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

It's a review for a Blu-ray collection of childrens' movies. I didn't think it was necessary to launch into an in-depth look at Japan and its attitudes toward illegal drug use.
    SammyW27 likes this.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on April 20th, 2014

| My DVD Collection | My Video Game Collection |
    These lists were last updated on January 3rd, 2012

LinkBacks (?)

1. 2nd February 2013, 05:32 PM
  2. 2nd February 2013, 05:11 PM