Dogasu's Backpack Discussion - Page 127

Page 127 of 145 FirstFirst ... 2777117125126127128129137 ... LastLast
Results 1,891 to 1,905 of 2161
Like Tree262Likes

Thread: Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

Default Re: Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

Hey Dogasu. So, more promotions for the Kyurem vs. The Sword of Justice movie got put on YouTube. Make of that what you will, and I shall leave you with this image I made.
    Don't Mess With Keldeo - Cheezburger

Blog Entries

Good luck on the JPLT, Dogasu-san!

Hey Dogasu, good luck on your Japanese test. I'll be waiting for you.
    Dogasu likes this.

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

@ObjectionMan

Yes, it absolutely was possible (still is, really) that the Rocket vs. Plasma two-parter is going to be retconned. I understand that you think that would be stupid and a waste of time / money and all that, but that doesn't mean it can't (or won't) happen.

You say that the two-parter will air, out of order, as-is with absolutely no changes. You have absolutely no proof of this whatsoever.

It's true that I also don't have any concrete proof that the episodes will be retconned, either. But you seem to have misinterpreted what I've written on my page to mean that I think they definitely will be retconned when I'm actually only presenting it as a possibility. There's a huge difference there.

Bringing up "Holiday Hi-Jynx" and "Snow Way Out" is silly because what they did with those two episodes happened fifteen years ago. You can't apply what happened a decade and a half ago to 2012. Different people are in charge now, the attitudes of the ones who are still with the show after all these years has changed, Japan as a whole has changed...just because a controversy is handled one way at one point in time doesn't mean it's going to be handled exactly the same way from here until the end of time.

@Musashi

Not everybody who visits my site is a member of Bulbagarden. You, personally, may be tired of me talking about the Rocket trio, but that's because you read all those posts I make about them here on Bulba. Not everyone who visits my site can say the same thing.

"Battle for the Underground" is the episode provides what I see as the greatest discrepency between this idea that the BW Rocket trio was "competent" and their actual competence. So of course I'm going to talk about it. Like SammyW27 said, it's kind of the elephant in the room.

If you don't like it, you're free to scroll down past the Thoughts section for those episodes. It's one of the reasons I put my general thoughts about the episosdes in their own section in the first place.

@ObjectionMan

I could respond to your points one by one and point out why I think your interpretations are not correct (you seem to have misremembered a lot of the details of the episode, for example), but I'll instead address your insistence that I'm only seeing failure because of my blind hatred of the trio. That's not true. I don't go into each episode hunting for ways to justify my idea that they suck, but I also can't ignore it when the show gives me example after example of how shitty they are at their jobs. It's not my fault the TV series gives me so many obvious examples to work with.

It's OK if you like the BW trio. But you have to respect the fact that others don't and you can't be so dismissive of those who have genuine, legitimate complaints about them.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on April 14th, 2014

| My DVD Collection | My Video Game Collection |
    These lists were last updated on January 3rd, 2012

Welcome back, Dogasu. I'm afraid that file doesn't work on my computer; but I get giddy just imagining the Pokémon Star Wars parody. I've got a project I'm working on for the media amusement thread of the original trilogy with all the characters. Anyway, good to have you back, and I hope you did well on your Japanese test.

Blog Entries

@Dogasu; The radio link on your site is .xml. It doesn't work as a direct link.
    @AvatarAce2015; テレビ東京・あにてれ Pokemon Radio Show!ロケット団ひみつ帝国 is the link to the episode.

Bow before me, bitches! SammyW27's Avatar
    Add SammyW27 on Facebook
    Visit SammyW27's Youtube Channel

Wait, what? Re-airing such an old episode is one thing, but repainting all those Jynx? Really?

Onduru ruragittan disukaa Garren's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That rabbit thing from Harmoknight would make a cool Electric Pokemon.

I wonder if they plan on having any Harmoknight throw-backs in Gen VI? Would be cool, like how we had all the Pulseman stuff in Gen IV.

Dogasu, what or who is G'Cis'? Is it Ghetsis?

Follow PockyAddict On Twitter Add PockyAddict on Facebook
    Follow PockyAddict on Tumblr Visit PockyAddict's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by TaiChiChasers View Post
    Dogasu, what or who is G'Cis'? Is it Ghetsis?
    I'm not dogasu, but G'Cis' i think is Ghetsis' japanese name.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu
    "ExtremeSpeed Genesect" doesn't work because while it is true that the pokemon move しんそく is called "ExtremeSpeed" in the English version of the games, しんそく does not actually mean "Extreme Speed."
    Eh. While it doesn't literally mean that, the meaning of the term is "extremely high speed". I doubt the movie will put anything into the literal meaning of the word, while it's pretty obvious the Extremespeed move is going to play into it. I don't see anything particularly wrong with translating it as such. "The Genosect with God-Like Speed" is a pretty clunky mouthful.

(as for "Godspeed Genesect", yeah, that's just outright, inarguably wrong. Godspeed is an English word with a set definition, and has nothing to do with the word "speed").
    So.

Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

I'll just copy / paste what I posted in another thread:

This is why I don't like "ExtremeSpeed Genesect" as a translation for 神速ゲノセクト - it implies that the "shinsoku" in the movie's title refers to the pokemon attack and nothing else. The truth is, shinsoku does not translate to "ExtremeSpeed" any more than, say, Speed Star translates to "Swift." The official site for the movie even defines shinsoku, treating it as its own unique word instead of as the name of a pokemon attack.
    (yes, the Japanese should have read 神速ゲノセクト, my bad)

I also don't really see how "The Genosect with God-Like Speed" is in any way clunky, but I guess that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu View Post
    This is why I don't like "ExtremeSpeed Genesect" as a translation for 神速ゲノセクト - it implies that the "shinsoku" in the movie's title refers to the pokemon attack and nothing else. (...) The official site for the movie even defines shinsoku, treating it as its own unique word instead of as the name of a pokemon attack.
    That's a good point, yes. I don't know if using a translation with no relation to the move is that much better, though, since the move is obviously going to play into the movie somehow, and we are going to get an alternate-colored Genesect that knows Extremespeed as a movie-tie in event. They wouldn't have chosen that word if they wanted something wholly unrelated to the move.

(I did use the translation "Extremespeed Genesect" over "ExtremeSpeed Genesect", though, so it's slightly different from the move name... but yeah, I'll admit that was just me not knowing that S was supposed to be capitalized)

Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu View Post
    The truth is, shinsoku does not translate to "ExtremeSpeed" any more than, say, Speed Star translates to "Swift."
    I disagree. 神速 may not literally translate to "extreme speed", but it still carries that meaning. "Swift" is just... weird.
    So.

Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Adamant
    I don't know if using a translation with no relation to the move is that much better, though, since the move is obviously going to play into the movie somehow, and we are going to get an alternate-colored Genesect that knows Extremespeed as a movie-tie in event. They wouldn't have chosen that word if they wanted something wholly unrelated to the move.
    Maybe. As far as I know, though, nothing about Genosect actually knowing the move "ExtremeSpeed" has been confirmed. It's a logical assumption to make, but it's still just an assumption.

But here's what I think I'll do: I'll end up going with "The Extreme Speed Genosect." That way, it mimics the Japanese title somewhat; "Extreme Speed" instead of "ExtremeSpeed," just like how the Japanese title is using 神速 instead of しんそく. I do want to keep the "God" part in there somewhere (I think it fits, especially since these movies always refer to the legendary pokemon as "gods"), but maybe I'll just have to let that go and produce a title with the same feel as the original instead of trying to come up with one that's a direct 1:1 translation.

Bow before me, bitches! SammyW27's Avatar
    Add SammyW27 on Facebook
    Visit SammyW27's Youtube Channel

Dogasu: going the extra mile for Pokefans everywhere :clap:
    Being a fan means being unashamed of what you like, no matter what anyone else says

LinkBacks (?)

1. 2nd February 2013, 05:32 PM
  2. 2nd February 2013, 05:11 PM