Dogasu's Backpack Discussion - Page 12

Page 12 of 145 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast
Like Tree262Likes

Thread: Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

For Recycled Characters:

Claire's Butler, Royce from AG057 reappeared as Luna's Butler in AG166.

And now, something that astonished me like hell.
    Delaney/Yasuji from EP247 got recycled and appeared as Kent in AG103. And not only that, Yasuji's rival Mason (I think he didn't have a name in original version) was also recycled in AG103 as Ruriri Trainer.

Two characters from the same episode recycled in one episode. Fushigi da, ne?

EDIT: 1,111st post! Funny number.

Blog Entries

I like how they "recycle" these characters. Pretty funny.

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Were the subtitles in "Island of the giant Pokemon" different from the dub to the Japanese? I always wondered that.

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by PokemonTrainerLisa
    Just out of curiosity, what are your top favorite season one episodes, Dogasu?
    It's hard for me to say because I haven't actually seen all of Kanto. But I'll probably go with "Battle Aboard the St. Anne" just because it was the very first episode I saw and therefore has special meaning for me (not to mention that it's just a darn good episode regardless).

Quote Originally Posted by Maxim Gwanjangnim
    Two characters from the same episode recycled in one episode. Fushigi da, ne?
    Not really...those "Hypno's Naptime" kids have shown up about a half a dozen times.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott85
    Were the subtitles in "Island of the giant Pokemon" different from the dub to the Japanese? I always wondered that.
    For the most part, everything was accurately translated. For the most part.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on April 14th, 2014

| My DVD Collection | My Video Game Collection |
    These lists were last updated on January 3rd, 2012

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Heh, I always wondered why that bar scene went on for so long without subtitles. I guess now I know, was that part meant to be a dream? I always figured they were dreaming there since a random Slowbro is with them, and the next scene shows them waking up in the morning.

Funny thing is, the Princess Day episode also implies Pikachu is male, on top of this one. Nice to see Bulbasaur is male (since May's Bulba appears 7 years later and is female), as well as Squirtle, and Charmander falls for a female Charizard in the Charicific valley so...lol.

Pidgeotto and Butterfree don't get to join the fun because the writers hate them, notice how once the Kanto starters are captured those two do nothing and eventually get released? Kinda sad, but oh well.

uh Dogasu the reason that they didn't include Brock or Misty's Pokemon is because they would have easily given away the suspence of being "lost".

Staryu and Starmie can Levitate
    Goldeen can't function out of Water
    Onix would be a dead give away for where the Pokemon were given the size
    Geodude can levitate as well

A black and white world Blackjack Gabbiani's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scott85 View Post
    Nice to see Bulbasaur is male (since May's Bulba appears 7 years later and is female)
    Wait, what does one have to do with the other?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemaster Justin View Post
    uh Dogasu the reason that they didn't include Brock or Misty's Pokemon is because they would have easily given away the suspence of being "lost".

Dogasu can levitate too. I think the writers just didn't want to focus on their pokemon.

Apparently, some of the foreign dubs that use 4Kids' modified footage also kept the English subtitles, so they had to end up having the pokemon actually speak to each other in human language instead.
    Really? The Norwegian dub used a clean version, I assumed all other countries did that as well. It didn't add subtitles, though (Norwegian dubs very very rarely alter the original video), but instead had the narrator speak over the pokemon in his extreeeemly monotonous voice, telling us what they were saying.

Also...
    In the Japanese version, Nyasu does indeed say "goshuujin ga inai," which can translate to "my master's not around." So I can't claim that 4Kids messed up the translation here. However, it can also translate to "I don't have a master," a line that's very different from the one 4Kids produced.
    It's been a while since I saw this episode in Norwegian (like.. 6 years?), but I swear he said "I don't have a master, and I'm bad!" in that dub. Heh, to think they'd be closer to the orginal than the dub they're basing their redub on.
    Last edited by Adamant; 9th October 2008 at 12:29 AM.
    So.

Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Scott85
    I guess now I know, was that part meant to be a dream? I always figured they were dreaming there since a random Slowbro is with them, and the next scene shows them waking up in the morning.
    I don't really think it's supposed to be a dream. I think it's more a scene to show how the different pokemon are upset by the idea of their trainers abandoning them and how certain pokemon (like the Rocket-Dan's) can't handle the idea while others, like Hitokage, don't really seem to care one way or another.

As for the random Yadoran...well...who says that there can't be more than one of them on the island? Besides...why would any of the pokemon dream about some random, evolved pokemon that many of them have likely never seen before?

And the next scene shows them waking up in the morning because the oden scene takes place at night :P

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemaster Justin

Levitating isn't the same as flying. I doubt the pokemon could get the altitude necessary to be seen from afar.

I'll give you that.

But on an island of giant pokemon, Iwaku's size isn't all the noticeable.

We don't know how big the island is, so I think it's a little hard to say that having so-and-so out of their Monster Balls would give their positions away.

Blog Entries

(damn, posted at the same time)
    Adamant:

Except in a case like that, both would be valid translations, it seems.

I always thought at that point he considered himself the Top Cat and that meant Giovanni was his master...although since this *is* just after he finds out about Persian, the ambiguity could have been intentional on his part as well as on the part of the writers.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamant View Post
    Really? The Norwegian dub used a clean version, I assumed all other countries did that as well. It didn't add subtitles, though (Norwegian dubs very very rarely alter the original video), but instead had the narrator speak over the pokemon in his extreeeemly monotonous voice, telling us what they were saying.
    Same thing happened in Polish dub and such voiceovers are common thing here; Pokemon movies 4, 5 and soon 6 get that treatment.

It's worth noting that narrator is horribly mistimed and usually says 2-3 sentences too early, giving major "WTF" feeling.

And a side note - seems the dubbers here enjoyed that (!) and added an extra line in "Haunter vs. Kadabra" - when Haunter agrees to follow Ash to fight Sabrina, the narrator does a voiceover for him saying something like "OK, i agree".

As for subs... i think the only other time some subtitles appeareed in US version and didn't in international version were Whirl Islands eps when in US version, when the map is shown, you see names of islands.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamant View Post
    It's been a while since I saw this episode in Norwegian (like.. 6 years?), but I swear he said "I don't have a master, and I'm bad!" in that dub. Heh, to think they'd be closer to the orginal than the dub they're basing their redub on.
    Well, when they were starting a dub here, they decided to look at different versions to see what they can base on. In effect, i believe Team Rocket's rotto got some Russian influences, and names of 7 cities got taken from German version insted of English; and 2 from French.

Also it's worth nothing that in "The Kecleon Caper" Kecleon's name pronounciation is nothing like in US version, but VERY close to Japanese. So it may be possible they had access to JP track... or the episode's english dub wasn't finished yet (because they obviously had to receive tapes much earlier to dub, and AFAIR there were some big differences in dialogue).

Blog Entries

It occurs to me that an amusing way to have dubbed the pokemon talking would have been to make it like how Iron Chef America dubs Morimoto--where you can hear him talking and the dub is over that.

It's highly silly especially because a lot of the time they do that he's speaking English anyway, but that's beside the point.

Blog Entries

Follow QuietDragon on Tumblr

Wow, that is a nice catch, Maxim! Two from the same episoce. xD

Yeah, "inai" is a pretty vague word to use there. It could mean they're not there, and it could mean they don't exist altogether! xD;

I'm pretty sure Meowth said "my master's not around and I'm still bad!" in the dub.

Musapion on SPPf, QuietxDragon on tumblr

Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

Um...I quoted exactly what Meowth said in the English dub. There shouldn't be any question about it ^^;;

LinkBacks (?)

1. 2nd February 2013, 05:32 PM
  2. 2nd February 2013, 05:11 PM