Dogasu's Backpack Discussion - Page 114

Page 114 of 145 FirstFirst ... 1464104112113114115116124 ... LastLast
Results 1,696 to 1,710 of 2165
Like Tree265Likes

Thread: Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

Default Re: Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

Several times (most notably in Mewtwo Returns and Pokemon Heroes), but i'm pretty sure they call him by name in DP at least once.

Blog Entries

Follow Bubble Frog on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Quagbert View Post
    I'm asking this as someone who hasn't watched anything dub-related since Johto Journeys: Has Giovanni ever been mentioned by name in the dub?
    In the ep James gets Carnivine Jessie calls him by his name.

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Thingamajig
    it was just you'd never expressed such distaste at being only being able to watch Illusionary Conqueror, Zorro'ark in SD on DVD and I thought there might be some other factor contributing to your... lack of enthusiasm about the Best Wishes episodes being on DVD
    I'm excited about the discs because of the Kanto episodes they contain. Sure, the Best Wishes episodes are fine to own as well, but I'm less thrilled about that side of the release because of the whole SD thing. My apathy about the Best Wishes part of those discs has nothing to do with the content of the actual episodes themselves. I "expressed such distaste" on the site so that people would know that the former, not the latter, is my reason for not being thrilled about that half of the release.

And for the record, I was equally apathetic about the Diamond & Pearl episodes that have been released on DVD as well. I'm happy to be able to legally own those episodes and all, but having to settle for SD is kind of a bummer.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesun
    Apparently, from this month TV Tokyo have started something called Data Broadcast upon anime series, one of which is Best Wishes.
    So I actually do have access to this, but...there isn't any program-specific content there. All that happens when I press the appropriate button on my remote is a generic menu with categories like "news," "weather," and "stock prices" pops up. Nothing new to see there, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by gotpika
    Any reason why you linked the "Pippi Moon Stone" episode and not Makomo's appearance in "Munna and Musharna! The Dream Site!"?
    Yeah, I fixed that now. Thanks for the heads up.

Actress's you mean, since ya Iris is voiced by a girl ^^;
    Using the word "actor" to refer to a female thespian is also correct. "Actress" can only be used for women, but "actor" can be used for both men and women.

Actor | Define Actor at Dictionary.com

Besides, the meaning of the quote you posted would change if I had used "actress" instead of "actor." If I had said "Here is yet another example of the actress' delivery altering the meaning of the dialogue," it would imply that I think this problem is one that only affects the female voice talent. And, well, I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Baron Dante
    Before that episode, they were headed to Nimbasa. Then, they are suddenly back at Fennel's. I'm surprised I saw no mention of this at all.
    The gang is clearly at a second lab that Makomo owns out in the Raimon City area. I never even considered the possibility that they backtracked to Sanyou City.

Quote Originally Posted by Trainer_Gabriel
    Sorry to nitpick, but we do get a flashback scene of this episode just a couple of episodes later when Bianca and several other past trainers gather for the Don Battle Tournament, so I wouldn't really label this episode as a filler unless you want to want to consider the Don Battle Tourney as filler
    An episode being shown in a flashback, by itself, is not enough to keep it from being a filler. That scene of Bel from the fishing episode could have just as easily been from any other Bel episode since the point of the flashback was that they've met her before, not that they met her before and had this whole fishing tournament adventure with her.

Quote Originally Posted by Quagbert
    Has Giovanni ever been mentioned by name in the dub?
    He has, but not as often as he is in the Japanese version. It's kind of weird, really: the original and the dub use both "boss" and Sakaki / Giovanni, but the frequency they use them is different depending on what version you're watching. In Japan, the trio refers to their boss as "Sakaki-sama" more often than they refer to him as "boss" (ボス). In the English dub, however, "boss" is used more often than "Giovanni."

But, like I said, both versions use both terms.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on April 22nd, 2014

| My DVD Collection | My Video Game Collection |
    These lists were last updated on January 3rd, 2012

Registered User Trainer Gabriel's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu View Post
    An episode being shown in a flashback, by itself, is not enough to keep it from being a filler. That scene of Bel from the fishing episode could have just as easily been from any other Bel episode since the point of the flashback was that they've met her before, not that they met her before and had this whole fishing tournament adventure with her.
    ...Except the fact that it was from the fishing episode means that viewers who missed said episode would be confused as to when such a meeting in the flashback occurred, not because the main event of the episode isn't referenced again later (or at least not with the case of the retconning of the episode's timeslot making it less significant).

But if you still want to argue that that's too insignificant to make the episode important, then fine. I disagree but I won't press the matter any further.
    Last edited by Trainer Gabriel; 22nd October 2011 at 01:12 AM.

消え人
    Trophies
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu View Post
    So I actually do have access to this, but...there isn't any program-specific content there. All that happens when I press the appropriate button on my remote is a generic menu with categories like "news," "weather," and "stock prices" pops up. Nothing new to see there, unfortunately.
    x.x That's a pity. Well, thanks for checking it anyway.

Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Trainer_Gabriel
    ...Except the fact that it was from the fishing episode means that viewers who missed said episode would be confused as to when such a meeting in the flashback occurred
    It's no more confusing than when the show does flashbacks using brand new animation. Watching a flashback using footage from an episode that doesn't actually exist and watching footage from an older episode you haven't seen yet creates the same sense of "confusion" in the viewer.

And what about character farewell montages? Does every clip used in those make the episodes they were taken from non-fillers all of a sudden?

Being used in a flashback does not, by itself, make an episode important to the plot.

Registered User Trainer Gabriel's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You can bet that many kids would still ask themselves "When did that happen?"

But I said I wouldn't press this any further and I suppose the term filler can be debated for certain episodes, so... to each his own, I guess.

BattleFanatic Eitarou's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Editorial BoardModerator
    Blog Entries

Originally, Dent states that Zorroa can't copy other pokemon's moves. I'm bringing this up because the dub dialogue makes it sound like Zorroa is still able to use its attacks even when it's transformed, something the Japanese version never implies. I mean, can you imagine Zorroa, as Princess Yuria, slapping her hands on the ground and creating a Night Burst attack? Weird.
    Actually, that sounds like it'd be really funny to see....

samurai in autumn garrison-san's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Follow garrison-san On Twitter
    Follow garrison-san on Tumblr

And I'm pretty sure this movie poster is supposed to be a parody of something, right?
    The first thing that came to mind to me was Roman Holiday (1953). Except that's quite blatantly Paris. :p

First to come to my mind was this

(though they're probably parodies of the same thing)

Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu
    But, the name Yuria is really just the way Japanese people say the name "Julia" in their native language. They get the "Yuria" pronunciation from the European pronunciations of her name where the J makes a Y sound, not from the American pronunciation where it's said with a strong J sound.
    Uh... while it's true ユリア is how the name Julia is written in Japanese if it's spoken with a y sound, like it is in most non-English languages (it's not the de facto way of writing every named spelled "Julia" - the English name Julia is of course written ジュリア), Yuria is also an actual Japanese name. While they were probably going for "Julia" (the spelling we also used), what with the other names in the episode being the obviously western "Luke" and "Matthew", it's not like it's either is "more correct" than the other.
    (also, if they had called her Julia, they definitely would've pronounced it the English way, and that would've been a name change )
    martianmister likes this.
    So.

Princess of Sinnoh martianmister's Avatar
    Last edited by martianmister; 29th October 2011 at 04:40 PM.
    MizuTaipu, JB2448, Adamant and 2 others like this.
    1. Satoshi/Ash Ketchum: 801 episodes
    2. Team Rocket: 736 episodes
    3. Takeshi/Brock: 633 episodes
    4. Kasumi/Misty: 282 episodes
    5. Hikari/Dawn: 201 episodes
    6. Haruka/May: 197 episodes
    7. Masato/Max: 192 episodes
    8. Iris: 141 episodes
    9. Dent/Cilan: 138 episodes
    10. Kenji/Tracey: 44 episodes

The comparison for 'Reunion Battles at Nimbasa' is up.

It's nice to look back on this arc when it seemed to have promise. Pity that, as the arc went on, we'd end up hating it...

Hm, this Natio Radio thing should serve as a nice replacement for Pokeani when it comes to all this little references and trivia points we wouldn't otherwise know of, I guess.
    So.

Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

It's only about as reliable as PokeAni, though. For example, Natio Radio claims that Luke is a reference to Luke Skywalker, Princess Julia / Yuria (from the movie episode) is meant to be Leia, and Dragon Master Iris (from the same movie episode) is meant to be a Jedi master. And, well, I don't believe that for a second. Just like I don't believe some of the claims PokeAni made about homages and whatnot.

Blog Entries

Follow HumanDawn on Tumblr

Jimmy Ray's name may possibly come from the American wrestler Jimmy Del Ray.

While Del Ray was an agile and able wrestler at the time, he had a slightly pudgy midsection that shook, or "jiggled" when he did a taunting dance.
    Seems to fit. We can't say for sure but that's the closest we've got.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 2nd February 2013, 05:32 PM
  2. 2nd February 2013, 05:11 PM