Dogasu's Backpack Discussion - Page 102

Page 102 of 145 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112 ... LastLast
Results 1,516 to 1,530 of 2165
Like Tree265Likes

Thread: Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

Blog Entries

Default Re: Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
    Or... you know, he's the one doing the comparaison so he should get to say what constitutes or not a rewrite... While I don't think that there's a major difference between the original and the lines that Dogasu compared, they're still a difference and it's fair game for him to point it out... since that's the entire purpose of what he's doing.[/SERIOUS EDITORIAL POSITION]
    True, but the difference is negligible, in my opinion.

It's like these two example statements:

I'm going to meet her.
    I'm going to meet Jasmine.

Now obviously her could refer to anyone, but a few moments later it's clear that her refers to Jasmine.

The only difference is one was a bit more explicit.

Unless I had a secret affair with Jasmine, or like some episodes of Pokemon I don't know her name prior. I can't really see the difference between the two. Or why one can't be more explicit than the other statement.

So Ash saying he's going meet Pokemon. Compared to "I'm going to meet all the Unova Pokemon." Is just as negligible.

Now let's look at Ash's character overall. Why would he be so picky and say "I only want to meet some Pokemon in the Unova" sounds to me like Ash knows he's going to run into a real nasty Pokemon and doesn't want to meet it. Judging by Ash's character he isn't going to be prejudice/discriminatory like apparently his original statement appears to imply.

In the original, Okido said he'd be looking forward to hearing about any rare and unusual Pokemon Satoshi met, while in the English dub, he says he's looking forward to hearing about anyone and everyone Ash comes across. That explain the differences better? The line is definitely a rewrite.
    Except to Ash wouldn't any Pokemon he's never seen before be "Rare and Unusual" while I admit I guess there's a difference between the two, but again comes off as prejudice/discriminatory.

Aside from viewer obviousness, what makes Cobalion more rare and unusual then Patrat, when to Ash at first everything is going to be rare and unusual?

Then again why should it matter in the end? As far as we know Ash hasn't even contacted Professor Oak yet.

What he's only going to contact Oak about some giant electric blasting Pokemon like Zekrom. Hell he called Oak about Turtwig evolving, I'm sure Ash would call oak about his captures and adventures, but he hasn't done that yet. Who knows when Oak will reappear in the Best Wishes series.

Surprise! winstein's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

I noticed that you (Dogasu) has a distaste on the new Team Rocket, and even call them "lobotomized robot zombies". The question is why do you like their comedic side? What makes them likeable at that state?

Thanks for reading.
    “A single soul can uphold a standard far above the low threshold by which the world measures itself.”

Latest Review: Dark-type Award Ceremony
    Bonus articles: Mega Evolution Candidates (Part 7) -- Generation 6 Pokémon (07/12/2013)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dman_dustin View Post
    But you're able to base your opinion on whether or not a difference is negligible or not because it's being brought to your attention, which is what Dogasu does. He provides the facts by telling you what was said in Japanese and comparing it with the dub, including what you perceive as minor negligible changes. There's a difference, he points it out, that's the mission statement of his site. I fail to see the problem.

Blog Entries
    Follow Noivern On Twitter

When the difference is insignificant, I don't think that you have to say that it's an edit. I would rather, err... put it in the "minor notes" section. In the end, it's the (almost) same thing. Nothing's changed. I read through your comparision, and I have to say, you are being nitpicky, aren't you?

I think very minor line changes need not apply.

Ash: "I've decided my next journey will be right here."
    Delia and Professor Oak: "Huh?"
    Ash: "For sure! I wanna meet all the Pokémon from Unova! And I'll make a bunch of new friends, too!"
    Pikachu: "Pika!"

In the Japanese version, Satoshi just states that he wants to meet pokemon in the Isshu region. In the dub, he wants to meet all of them.
    I object to this statement. In the end, he's going to do so anyway. Pointing out this only adds to the page's length without doing anything significant.

Delia: "Pikachu, take good care of Ash."
    Pikachu: "Pika Pika!"
    Professor Oak: "And call us from time to time. I'll look forward to hearing about the new Pokémon you've met. How does that sound?"

It sounds like a rewrite to me! In the Japanese version, Orchid-Hakase asks Satoshi to call him and tell him about all the unusual and rare pokemon he meets, not just the one he catches.
    Met Pokémon include unusual and rare stuff. It's common sense.

Delia: "Where's your handkerchief? Are your clothes packed? Do you have clean underwear?"

I never realized it before now, but in the five seasons TPCI's had the show, Delia's only shown up...once? TPCI didn't bring back Delia's creepy obsession with her son's underwear then, and I just kind of assumed that it was a thing of the past. Looks like I was wrong!
    That belongs to side notes. Also, it also conveys the same meaning anyway.

Iris: "Whoa, no way! Pikachu!? You've got to be the sweetest thing ever! It's so cute! And those jiggling cheeks. Can't find anything this jiggly in Unova."

Anyway, the reason I brought this up is because of the word Unova. The scriptwriter for this episode must have had a hard on for the word or something because he or she uses it every chance he gets. I actually counted, because I'm a sad person with nothing better to do, and found that TPCI uses the word "Unova" twenty-one times. The Japanese version, in contrast, only uses "Isshu" about a dozen times.
    Ash: "That Unova sky's full of stars."

Unova Unova Unova Unova Unova!

Satoshi says the same thing that Ash does, minus the region name.
    It's the same meaning. Don't tell me that every count of "Unova" inserted is going to end up in your lists...

Ash: "Unova's got lots of cool Pokémon. Not just Zekrom. I'll meet them all."

Let's continue exaggerating, shall we? In the Japanese version, Satoshi states that the pokemon in the region are mysterious. He doesn't say anything about meeting any of them, much less all of them.
    Hmm... that's a justified one. This one can stay, but... it's just and addition.

Ash: "Iris left early, y'know? I wonder where she could've gone."
    Pikachu: "Pika Pika."

Satoshi tells Pikachu that Iris was already gone when they woke up. In the dub, however, she "left early," which isn't quite as explicit.
    No. It's the same meaning.

You need to split out the motto part into a side note of its own.

Ash: "What's that?"
    Iris: "It's a Woobat!"
    Meowth: "A Woobat. That name's got a nice ring to it."
    Jessie: "Nice ring is a good thing."

And just like that, TPCI slips back into DP mode. That didn't take long.
    Just a few lines out of quite a lot... I'll pass.

Hmm... I noticed that it's quite a nitpicky comparision. Dropping all of these should save you a lot of work.
    Hey, it's Noivern here. I like Noivern a lot. I like Katy Perry. I want a Hydreigon plushie. Also, I'm a total PC geek.
    Links

Blog Entries

Follow Tsutarja on Tumblr

Hm, you said that there were numerous script changes, but the only noticeable ones I saw were; writers adding extra Unova to every single line and Team Rocket having one rhyme. Everything else remained pretty much the same, just worded differently.

Quote Originally Posted by winstein View Post
    I noticed that you (Dogasu) has a distaste on the new Team Rocket, and even call them "lobotomized robot zombies". The question is why do you like their comedic side? What makes them likeable at that state?

Thanks for reading.
    I don't think it's so much that he liked the comedic Team Rocket, his problem is the totally abrupt character change they went through. Think about it, Best Wishes Team Rocket act nothing like the Team Rocket from previous series to the extent that they might as well be different characters altogether.

Blog Entries
    Follow Mjolnir On Twitter Add Mjolnir on Facebook
    Follow Mjolnir on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Star_girlz93 View Post
    I mean I understand why you did it that way, you have to write something. But still..
    Thinking about it, he doesn't always have to write comparisons up. I mean, there have been times he's done something as simple as this.

Dan and his father would have eventually figured out that the Meguroc were only trying to help,
    I highly doubt that. :/

Who am I? Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

Also, I think now is as good a time as any to mention that the English version of the games changing Live Caster to "Xtransceiver" is one of the more pointless changes in recent memory.
    The X makes it cool (Although it's pronounced Cross-Transceiver apparently).

xD

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I agree with Dogasu that the third episode of BW was pretty bad. Its "plot" would feel right at home with the fillers of Johto. Sandile debuting and Oshawott being captured isn't enough to save it.

Its a shame to see that the anime has improved so much since Johto, yet we still sometimes get these same old COTD plots that make me feel like Ash is traveling in Johto again.

Originally, Nyasu isn't worried about Meguroc blowing their cover; he simply tells Meguroc that it's an eyesore.
    Hm, I liked PUSA's change here better as it fits Meowth's character better. Nyasu sounds too mean there.

Blog Entries

In BW003's defence, this was the first regular series episode Sonoda has written since the final episode of Advanced Generation. And before that he had only written three other AG episodes (29, 38, 42). He hadn't been writing the series regularly since Jouto; It had just been the movies. (Wrote Entei with Shudo, then wrote Celebi and up on his own.)

Anyway, nice comparison and I agree that Xtransceiver is a stupid name.

There's also an error on the List of TV Episodes. The Rocket/Plasma two parter is on the 17th and 24th, then the gym is on the 31st.

Blog Entries

Follow Bubble Frog on Tumblr

Xtransceiver? That names gotta ring to it. "X-Transceiver" is a pretty cool name.

OSHAWHAT?

Quote Originally Posted by dman_dustin View Post

It's like these two example statements:

I'm going to meet her.
    I'm going to meet Jasmine.

Now obviously her could refer to anyone, but a few moments later it's clear that her refers to Jasmine.
    It does make a difference if in the scene we're not supposed to know it's Jasmine yet. Not a big, revolutionary difference, but still...

So Ash saying he's going meet Pokemon. Compared to "I'm going to meet all the Unova Pokemon." Is just as negligible.

Now let's look at Ash's character overall. Why would he be so picky and say "I only want to meet some Pokemon in the Unova" sounds to me like Ash knows he's going to run into a real nasty Pokemon and doesn't want to meet it. Judging by Ash's character he isn't going to be prejudice/discriminatory like apparently his original statement appears to imply.
    The way I see it, it sounds to me like in the original he wants to meet whatever Unova Pokemon he ends up running into, not that he'd see two Unova Pokemon in the distance and decide to pick one to meet over the other.

Aside from viewer obviousness, what makes Cobalion more rare and unusual then Patrat, when to Ash at first everything is going to be rare and unusual?
    In the second episode of B&W, there were a bazillion Patrat that went by when Ash saw them. Cobalion... I assume will do something in the show to show it's not an ordinary Pokemon. Time will tell though.
    Seasons =/= Regions

Quote Originally Posted by Kazamatsuri View Post
    I think part of the reason is that Dogasu know far more Japanese than he did when he first started doing comparisons. Also keep in mind that pointing out something that isn't translated perfectly is not the same thing as complaining about it. Being nitpicky would be basically going into a page-long rant about every little edit that ever took place in the series.
    to add to this, subs of the episodes are now far more readily available than they were in the past. Even at the start of Diamond/Pearl, releases were kinda slow, which is quite a contrast from the subs being released today. In a sense, people barely even have a reason to read Dogasu's comparisons when they can just as easily read the original script for themselves (though I still enjoy reading Dogasu's opinions on the episodes, personally). I guess there is a simple curiosity over what's been changed and what's left intact, but for that, I think Dogasu's free to point out as much as he wants. If that's what you came for to begin with, you shouldn't complain if he does it a tad excessively.

Yup, classes again. I'm gonna be at this for a while.

Onduru ruragittan disukaa Garren's Avatar
    Blog Entries

A black and white image at the very end of the magazine shows Ryouga with a Koaruhi, Monmen, Maracachi, and Zurug, though it is unknown if these pokemon actually belong to him at this time
    Hitomoshi actually, not Monmen...although, he's pretty hard to see, so I can understand you thinking it was the cotton ball.

OSHAWHAT?

Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu's Backpack
    The List of Pokemon has also been updated with the rest of the English names for the Generation V pokemon. I'm always amazed at how quickly fans are able to toss out the Japanese names in favor of the English ones, but my amazement became even more pronounced when I actually sat down and took a good look at the new batch of names. I just can't understand how people can throw away the names that have been working perfectly fine for them for the past six months or so in favor of crap like "Roggenrola" or "Amoonguss." And am I the only one having trouble spelling a lot of these names? Gah.
    For me, and I'm sure every else who switched to the English names... I switch from Japanese to English because by default I use the English names, and the only reason I'd been using the Japanese names is because the English names haven't been revealed yet.

I'm fine using the English names since English is my native tongue. However, I am also fine with English-speaking people using the Japanese names since those are the original names.

Not saying I'm happy with all the English names. "EmoLga"?! Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

Not sure why there isn't the same number of the letter "s" in "Foongus" and "Amoonguss" either.
    Seasons =/= Regions

LinkBacks (?)

1. 2nd February 2013, 05:32 PM
  2. 2nd February 2013, 05:11 PM