Dogasu's Backpack Discussion - Page 10

Page 10 of 145 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast
Like Tree263Likes

Thread: Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

追放されたバカ

Anyways... To get onto topic with the recent comparison (and the first Kanto episode throughout the redo to actually get a complete comparison, in the words of Dogasu), I want to mention some of what I thought of the OOC things.

First off, in regards to how Misty is oddly calm. I think it would stand to reason that she would have some sort of calmness of the situation at hand, since, really, someone had to have led them off the ship, someone with nautical experience (like shipbuilding, for instance), and that experience would naturally go to Misty, hence giving her an advantage at the situation. Besides, she wasn't TOTALLY OOC, she did shout at Team Rocket during that sentimental moment, and she did threaten to throw Team Rocket's pokemon in the water (though, personally, I think she was bluffing, since she knew very well that throwing them in the water would probably upset the balance even further, and thus wouldn't risk it. Why they needed to place Koffing back in the poke ball isn't made clear, since it floats around anyways, and thus wouldn't really impact the balance [unless it touches the ceiling.].), and shouted at them to shake hands. That doesn't exactly explain the Gyarados plothole, but, then again, the whole Gyarados fear didn't really reveal itself until Johto (I mean, when she saw a gyarados banner in "Our hero meowth", she didn't even give a nervous shudder at the sight of it.). Plus, she was probably so shocked and horrified that she couldn't even begin to mention something more serious. Believe me, it happens. Heck, Vegeta in "Broly, the Legendary Super Saiyan" for example, was so scared of Broly that he couldn't say any more than "He's the legendary super saiyan", so even if she did know, she probably was too fearful to say it right (which is understandable, since if you were extremely fearful or nervous about some terrible thing, even you can get tongue-tied).

As for Brock's fiery personality, I think he showed hints at having a fiery personality prior and after this episode, and even afterwards. I mean, Other than his frequent "Charles Harper"-esque urge to womanize, in Bulbasaur and the Hidden Village, for example, when Misty was asking if Brock liked Melaine [in a bit of a teasing manner, but still], he hit her (twice, not to mention), and got rough on her. His reaction to Damian abandoning Charmander Definitely wasn't calm nor collected. Heck, in Johto, he even got into an arguement with Ash as to who should capture Donphan [even having Misty try to break it up, not to mention], and also arguing that he should keep Togepi since he raised it (which, if he truly was the pokemon expert/breeder he was, he would have realized that the key aspect of a baby pokemon's mother is that it believes it's mom is the first [living] thing it sees, and since Misty was seen first, then it chose Misty to be it's mom, regardless if he raised it or not.).

Meowth, well, the logical explaination of his arquaphobia is due to Hysteria. I mean, he was trapped on a sunken ship, with his own life at stake, and now they have to escape the ship by swimming up with seconds left, literally everything would freak him out, water or not. I mean, most of the other episodes involving him being near water never really had him in a life-threatening situation (being stranded on a (not even completely) sunken wreck visible above water doesn't count, since it isn't THAT much of a life threatening situation.), so the only possible explaination is that he was in a dire situation and had Hysteria flowing through him)

As for Pikachu being a Jerk in this episode, considering how he acted most of the time of that season, he was kinda on-character here. Besides, he was working together with Meowth, which, considering how Meowth acted to him, was explainable, not to mention was the first time.

Also, the Onix thing was kinda explainable since they rushed up at their max speed (as evidenced by their "Come on, lets go!", and their running up Onix.)

Also, yeah it does, but that doesn't mean they can't survive it. Also, speaking of Dragon Rage, in the episode "Fire and Ice", Arcanine used Dragon rage, and it was only a small whirlwind, not the water/tornado that we saw, which hints that A caught pokemon's abilities might not be as tough as if it's wild (or at least, it's not powerful enough, since Arcanine is definitely not nearly as powerful as a Gyarados, generally speaking, even without type comparisons.).

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Blackjack Palazzo
    The original was also incorrect, at least as far as common translation goes. Pigeons are related to doves, but they're not the same thing, and pretty much every translation of that story cites that he sent out a dove (of course, I don't read Latin or Hebrew or Aramaic so there might be some other word there originally, but hey).
    I actually should have checked my dictionary for that note because while I knew that 鳩 means "pigeon," it also apparently means "dove." I'll have to make a note of that when I get a chance.

Also, something to keep in mind in a couple of episodes--was Delia ever told that Ash was presumed dead?
    I guess not. Same with Kasumi's sisters or Takeshi's family. Which is surprising since you'd think they would have done that.

I'm more surprised that Musashi and Kojirou bothered to register as passengers using their real names, though. Wouldn't you think they'd at least use some kind of alias?

is Dragon Rage subject to the whole "attack in numbers" thing that things like Unowns are?
    I would think that pretty much all energy-based attacks would be like that. I mean, look at the last episode, for example; all those Rocket Grunts couldn't have been disposed of so quickly if everyone wasn't attacking at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Weedle Mchairybug
    First off, in regards to how Misty is oddly calm. I think it would stand to reason that she would have some sort of calmness of the situation at hand, since, really, someone had to have led them off the ship, someone with nautical experience (like shipbuilding, for instance), and that experience would naturally go to Misty, hence giving her an advantage at the situation.
    Fair enough. At the same time, however, it's usually Kasumi who's the one freaking out all the time, while in this episode, she doesn't seem all that worried at all other than her "I don't want to die here" line.

Besides, she wasn't TOTALLY OOC, she did shout at Team Rocket during that sentimental moment, and she did threaten to throw Team Rocket's pokemon in the water
    Actually, she threatened to throw them (as in Musashi and Kojirou) into the water.

(Why they needed to place Koffing back in the poke ball isn't made clear, since it floats around anyways, and thus wouldn't really impact the balance)
    Same with Ishitsubute who, for some reason, apparently forgot how to float in that one scene in this episode.

Has there been any other episode in the series where we've seen Ishitsubute hop around instead of just float there?

Plus, she was probably so shocked and horrified that she couldn't even begin to mention something more serious. Believe me, it happens. Heck, Vegeta in "Broly, the Legendary Super Saiyan" for example, was so scared of Broly that he couldn't say any more than "He's the legendary super saiyan", so even if she did know, she probably was too fearful to say it right (which is understandable, since if you were extremely fearful or nervous about some terrible thing, even you can get tongue-tied).
    Not to get too off-topic...but I thought that Vegeta acting like some whiny female dog throughout that movie was extremely OOC for him as well. He has way too much pride to let someone's power reduce him to some pants-wetting crybaby.

As for Brock's fiery personality, I think he showed hints at having a fiery personality prior and after this episode
    Hints, yeah. But it's very rare to see Takeshi act all full-blown "Season One Satoshi" the way he does in this episode. The look on his face when he's shaking Kojirou's hands kind of threw me off as well.

Meowth, well, the logical explaination of his arquaphobia is due to Hysteria.
    I took it as the anime producers going for the whole "cats hate water" thing. Which makes a lot of sense, actually. Unfortunately, other than in this episode, I don't think they ever really do anything else with it.

As for Pikachu being a Jerk in this episode, considering how he acted most of the time of that season, he was kinda on-character here. Besides, he was working together with Meowth, which, considering how Meowth acted to him, was explainable, not to mention was the first time.
    Yeah...but to be so far as to be upset when it finds out that Nyasu didn't die? It may not have any reason to like Nyasu, but it seems a bit harsh to wish he was dead.

Also, the Onix thing was kinda explainable since they rushed up at their max speed (as evidenced by their "Come on, lets go!", and their running up Onix.)
    Still...even for the brief moment it's out, it should have had some effect on things.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on April 14th, 2014

| My DVD Collection | My Video Game Collection |
    These lists were last updated on January 3rd, 2012

I am a big fan of Dogasu's Backpack, I check it at least once every couple of days to check for new updates, and I find the comparisons very interesting and informitive. Keep up the great work Dogasu
    You may know me as Misty Fanboi13 over on the serebii forums

I don't see how anyone was out of character at all...Misty's not always a "hot head", and the characters are on the verge of death I'm sure you'd act a bit different as well.

I liked the comparison. More new ones!

This three parter was a prime example of how Indigo was amazing - the scene when the get attacked by the Garados still gives me chills.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Blackjack Palazzo View Post
    and moreover she's on vacation! (vacation with a guy who, when asked why he's there with her, gets flustered and changes the subject, but that's a seperate point)
    Wait, what??

A black and white world Blackjack Gabbiani's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu
    I'm more surprised that Musashi and Kojirou bothered to register as passengers using their real names, though. Wouldn't you think they'd at least use some kind of alias?
    Maybe some of the grunts told them. I mean, we can assume that, if J&J were being mourned, that all the grunts got off the ship as well as the passengers.

Quote Originally Posted by JB88
    Wait, what??
    Ash is all "Professor Oak, why are you at the beach with my mom?" and Oak gets really frantic and starts stuttering and grabs the info about the bikini contest to change the subject. I'm not sure what Ash said in the original though, I'd have to check that one again.

Or maybe they got the idea...when you know they kinna did their motto letting everyone know their name on the ship.

Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

Oh yeah. Forgot about that ^^;;

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Blackjack Palazzo
    Ash is all "Professor Oak, why are you at the beach with my mom?" and Oak gets really frantic and starts stuttering and grabs the info about the bikini contest to change the subject.
    Oh. *in best Cartman voice* Uh oh! I remember little things like those lookede weird in the show. You'd think they'd censor a couple of things, but not innuendos (if they are any) like those.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Blackjack Palazzo View Post
    Maybe some of the grunts told them. I mean, we can assume that, if J&J were being mourned, that all the grunts got off the ship as well as the passengers.
    Who mourns terrorists?
    LJ~dA~R100~YT~Twitter~Facebook~Last.fm~Tumblr~Glacidia Network

A bitch lives as free as a bird that can never be caught. I'm a bitch. I'll crush anyone that stands in my way! And I do what the hell I want!

Team Rocket's actions on the St. Anne wasn't terrorism, it was high-scale robbery.
    So.

追放されたバカ

Quote Originally Posted by Adamant View Post
    Team Rocket's actions on the St. Anne wasn't terrorism, it was high-scale robbery.
    You know, under certain cases, high-scaled robbery can be considered the same thing as Terrorism. I mean, take this week's episode of "Heroes", for example: 4 of the escapees from Level 5 (well, technically three, as one of them wasn't exactly himself at that time, if you know what I mean.) planned a Bank robbery in the middle of the day to steal cash. However, The ringleader, Benjamin Washington, AKA, "Knox", the black guy with the power of Superstrength [which is unique because it enhances by terrified victims.], had other plans than just stealing a lot of cash as he reveals to Peter [as he is trapped in Jesse's body by his future self] that he also intends to make people fearful so he can become stronger, as well as lure Noah Bennet out into the open so they can exact revenge on him for locking them away, which in itself is a terrorist plot, since he intends to instill fear and terror on the hostages.

Plus, I think after they robbed the people, they may have planned to set off a bomb on the St. Anne [considering how they went as far as to try and masquerade as most of the crew to infiltrate the place, as well as Giovanni being involved [which, knowing his Global Domination plots {a key motivation for terrorism, not to mention}, he probably wouldn't waste time on just robbing people of their Pokemon, and probably had some of his men set up some sort of bomb on the St. Anne to be triggered by remote detonation when they succeeded.]

A black and white world Blackjack Gabbiani's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That's a pretty big "probably" given that it would waste a perfectly good ship that could be used in future schemes, or even as a legit moneymaking operation.

追放されたバカ

BTW, that reminds me, Dogasu, when you do the comparison of "Island of the Giant Pokemon", can you also mention whether the digital-deep Giovanni was also present in the Japanese version? I'm asking on behalf of someone named Charaxes from Pokecommunity (he's a very big fan of your site.), since he was wondering if Giovanni really sounded digital in the original version of the episode or not (In case you're wondering what I'm meaning. In the scene where Team Rocket talks to Jessie and James via the phone [and especially the ending of said episode], even though Giovanni was seen (sort of) without a monitor in any form, he still sounded deeply digital in those scenes, and since the previous comparison didn't mention it, he was wondering if it was dub-added or not.)

Anyways, that's all for now.

Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

Yeah, it's dub-added.

And while we're on the topic of the St. Anne (kind of)...I wonder what the Rocket-Dan's escape plan was? Were they going to hitch a ride back to their base on a helicopter? Were they going to hijack the ship and drive it to a nearby port?

Anyways...I've watched the next episode and have taken notes, so now all I've got to do is write the comparison and take the screencaps. That'll probably take two or three days.

Page 10 of 145 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 2nd February 2013, 05:32 PM
  2. 2nd February 2013, 05:11 PM