Does Giovanni remember Mewtwo?

Thread: Does Giovanni remember Mewtwo?

Default Does Giovanni remember Mewtwo?

I just re-watched Mewtwo Returns the other day, and in the end Mewtwo erased Giovanni's memory. But I'm wondering if Giovanni has completely forgotten Mewtwo?
    Two reasons why I don't think that he has:
    1. It wasn't indicated whether Mewtwo completely erased all memory of his existence from Giovanni, or just the memories of what occurred at Mt. Quena. It's possible that Giovanni has forgotten the events of the movie but still remembers everything that happened prior to The Battle of the Badge and the first movie
    2. Even if Mewtwo had completely erased Giovanni's memory... Giovanni most likely has records of Mewtwo's existence as well as a lot of the research data that was not kept on New Island (and was not destroyed by Mewtwo)... so even if Giovanni had forgotten he could simply refresh his memory by looking through his records

Either way, I doubt that they'll ever make it into a plot point. Which is unfortunate because Mewtwo's one of my favorites...

Default Re: Does Giovanni remember Mewtwo?

In case Giovanni remembers Mewtwo´s existence prior to the first movie, I wonder if he is not wondering where did it disappear. And if he does wonder, why he gave up searching for it.
    In case he doesn´t remember anything, does he remember that some people from TR were searching for Mew?

(quite offtopic question, but it came to mind mentioning Giovanni: In bulbapedia, there is mentioned date of his birthday, where does that come from?)

Serperior rules us all Catilena1890's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Catilena1890 On Twitter
    Visit Catilena1890's Youtube Channel

I think it's safe to say he does NOT remember Mewtwo anymore, and that all possible records were destroyed. Keep in mind, Giovanni is a villain in a children's cartoon, he's not going to think that far ahead OR factor in a possibility that he might lose against the protagonist. This isn't Criminal Minds where the bad guy is always 3 steps ahead until the very end. His goals are very straightforward and his plans to meet those goals are always full of holes.

The Mewtwo plot has run its course. What do the writers do when a plot has run its course? They throw in some bullcrap Deux ex Machina to ensure that the plot is finished once and for all. They've done this several times. Remember Soledad and, perhaps the most infamous example of this, Tobias?

Yes, Giovanni MAY have anticipated the destruction of New Island, but the scientist in charge was neither Professor Namba NOR Dr. Seiger, so any records he might have had left would have most likely remained with him, and when Mewtwo erased his memories, those records could have been removed from him, because it is a children's cartoon and the writers got tired of that plot.

All of that being said, I would LOVE for Mewtwo to come back into the anime again, if only for a little while. but only if they can get Dan Green to voice him again, but I don't think Sexy Amnesiac Pharaoh would have time to because of his personal issues. :( But I digress.

Quote Originally Posted by Catilena1890 View Post
    I think it's safe to say he does NOT remember Mewtwo anymore, and that all possible records were destroyed. Keep in mind, Giovanni is a villain in a children's cartoon, he's not going to think that far ahead OR factor in a possibility that he might lose against the protagonist. This isn't Criminal Minds where the bad guy is always 3 steps ahead until the very end. His goals are very straightforward and his plans to meet those goals are always full of holes.

The Mewtwo plot has run its course. What do the writers do when a plot has run its course? They throw in some bullcrap Deux ex Machina to ensure that the plot is finished once and for all. They've done this several times. Remember Soledad and, perhaps the most infamous example of this, Tobias?

Yes, Giovanni MAY have anticipated the destruction of New Island, but the scientist in charge was neither Professor Namba NOR Dr. Seiger, so any records he might have had left would have most likely remained with him, and when Mewtwo erased his memories, those records could have been removed from him, because it is a children's cartoon and the writers got tired of that plot.

All of that being said, I would LOVE for Mewtwo to come back into the anime again, if only for a little while. but only if they can get Dan Green to voice him again, but I don't think Sexy Amnesiac Pharaoh would have time to because of his personal issues. :( But I digress.
    There's that "Mastermind of Mirage Pokémon" special, but that was made as a test for Pokémon Company USA's Voice actors. There's a chance that he might return for Genesect, since they do share similar origins; but keep in mind that when Shopro is through with their voice actors, they usually don't hire them back.
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Melonhead; 1032-2149-6593; Ground: Wooper, Marowak, Gastrodon
    PM me so I can add you back.

Serperior rules us all Catilena1890's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Catilena1890 On Twitter
    Visit Catilena1890's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Mecha View Post
    There's that "Mastermind of Mirage Pokémon" special, but that was made as a test for Pokémon Company USA's Voice actors. There's a chance that he might return for Genesect, since they do share similar origins; but keep in mind that when Shopro is through with their voice actors, they usually don't hire them back.
    That had absolutely nothing to do with Giovanni, either voice-wise OR plotwise. The only reason Mewtwo was in the special as the "Ultimate Mirage Pokemon" was because, at the time, Mewtwo WAS the strongest pokemon in existance, and had the highest base stat total of all 386 pokemon in generation 3, and still stayed at the top of 492 pokemon prior to the reveal of Arceus, which is when Mewtwo was finally demoted. HAD Arceus been around when this special came out, the Mirage pokemon under Mirage Master's control would have most likely been Arceus.

And Dan Green IS still doing voices on the show. I was reading just before I made this post that he was recast and has been doing VA work throughout Advanced, DP, and even BW. Mewtwo may indeed return during the Genesect movie, or at least get referenced, since Ash's memory is intact this time. Well, as far as Mewtwo goes it is. We can only hope that Dan reprises the role if we do see Mewtwo there.

/I`ll stop going off-topic now, please don't spank me staffers dudes plzthx.

Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

I'm pretty sure that Giovanni doesn't remember anything about Mewtwo. He didn't remember what they were doing at the end of Mewtwo Returns, so I doubt that he remembers everything else about Mewtwo prior to that event. It would be kind of pointless to just erase that part of his memory since he could make another attempt to find and capture Mewtwo. He probably did have some records of its creation and power, but those would be destroyed too. If Mewtwo can erase memories, then it can use its psychic powers to eliminate any files on its existence that Giovanni would have. As much as I like Mewtwo and would like to see it appear somehow, it's storyline was done after Mewtwo Returns, so the chances of it appearing again seem pretty unlikely to me.

Caught in a lab romance~ Araragi-hakase's Avatar Head Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Araragi-hakase On Twitter
    Follow Araragi-hakase on Tumblr

Mewtwo's story has always been one of my favorites, but I think that besides Mewtwo erasing Giovanni's memory, that he's moved on to other projects. Sure, he might find a stray file or paperwork or something from the project when he's cleaning out his desk or something and wonder what it is, but he seems like a pretty busy dude and wouldn't dwell on it long enough to figure out or try to remember what it is if he didn't know right away. In the end, the Mewtwo project wasn't successful in the way it was meant to be and from a ~scientific~ stand point, you'd want to move on to a new project, whether he remembers it clearly or not.