Does ash eat pokemon? - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Does ash eat pokemon?

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

Default Re: Does ash eat pokemon?

We see the same thing with the pokemon based on carnivorous animals, too. We only ever see them eating Berries; we never see pokemon hunting other pokemon for food.
    Last edited by Dogasu; 17th September 2012 at 09:26 AM.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on April 14th, 2014

| My DVD Collection | My Video Game Collection |
    These lists were last updated on January 3rd, 2012

The Sworn Brothers Adyniz's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Adyniz On Twitter

Itadakimasu!

samurai in autumn garrison-san's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Follow garrison-san On Twitter
    Follow garrison-san on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Midorikawa View Post
    I just found out that in the battling eevee brothers James is holding a lobster to eat. So they definitely have some real animals that they eat
    Kanto tended to play a bit looser with that detail, though. Real animal sightings/references were more rampant then, partly because they were still figuring out the rules of the Pokemon world, and also because they had a much more limited variety of pokemon to fill the relevant niches.

Anyway, here's Farfetch'd's original pokedex entry:

"Farfetch'd, a Wild Duck Pokémon. Farfetch'd makes a delicious meal, especially when cooked with leek. Because of this, Farfetch'd is nearly extinct."

I find it grim that Dexter actually emphasises that Farfetch'd is "delicious". It makes it sound like a recommendation. For an endangered species too!

I'm a servant of the lord Midorikawa's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Midorikawa on Tumblr Visit Midorikawa's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by garrison-san View Post
    I just found out that in the battling eevee brothers James is holding a lobster to eat. So they definitely have some real animals that they eat
    Kanto tended to play a bit looser with that detail, though. Real animal sightings/references were more rampant then, partly because they were still figuring out the rules of the Pokemon world, and also because they had a much more limited variety of pokemon to fill the relevant niches.

Anyway, here's Farfetch'd's original pokedex entry:

"Farfetch'd, a Wild Duck Pokémon. Farfetch'd makes a delicious meal, especially when cooked with leek. Because of this, Farfetch'd is nearly extinct."

I find it grim that Dexter actually emphasises that Farfetch'd is "delicious". It makes it sound like a recommendation. For an endangered species too!
    The fact that it's original series is beside the point. They didn't have to show that. In the Cerulean Gym there are real fish. Why not use Magikarp, Goldeen, or Seaking instead. It's shown that they have multiple of the Goldeen family. There were plenty that could be placed instead.
    @Dogasu; Pidgeotto tried to eat Caterpie, Meowth tried to eat a Magikarp. Also several pokedex entries talk about pokemon eating other pokemon.

samurai in autumn garrison-san's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Follow garrison-san On Twitter
    Follow garrison-san on Tumblr

The fact that it's original series is beside the point. They didn't have to show that. In the Cerulean Gym there are real fish. Why not use Magikarp, Goldeen, or Seaking instead. It's shown that they have multiple of the Goldeen family. There were plenty that could be placed instead.
    They probably used a lobster to emphasise "delicacy", given that Team Rocket were attempting to live the high life at the time. I doubt that common pokes like Magikarp or Goldeen would fit that niche.

Blog Entries

Visit Sweenix's Youtube Channel

I have no idea but a vannilite would look rather good on a summer day.
    User_Name and starryskies like this.
    Proud Advance/Amour/Final Fantasy Shipper :)

Serebii | Youtube | Advancers | IGN | Ubiforums

Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Midorikawa
    The fact that it's original series is beside the point.
    No, it's not. The writers obviously didn't have rules like "no real world animals" or "don't show anyone eating pokemon" when they were first starting out. Those edicts wouldn't have come until after the series had already established itself.

Additionally, it's crazy to try to take a couple of one-off incidents from nearly fifteen years ago and then try to apply them to the show today. Things change.

There was a lot of this in the original series, but there was some in the AG as well, I think--Right Place At The Right Mime or whatever? Max says something about hotdogs, May says something about a hamburger, and...Ash says something that I forgot. And you know that episode with Candice in DP, where they eat that hot/cold food? There might've been meat on the table, but I'm not sure...maybe Dawn and Iris converted everyone into vegetarians....

contract? /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Jacen the Robot Floatzel Robo-Floatzel's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Robo-Floatzel On Twitter
    Visit Robo-Floatzel's Youtube Channel

I personally think that the higher-ups at Nintendo made the order in the later seasons to ban all showings or hints of real life animals in the Pokemon world in order to market more and more, and leave the origin of all meat shown to the viewers imagination, making it one of the biggest mysteries in the franchise.

Interestingly, they seem to have ignored the fact that human beings are animals themselves, and evolved from apes, and since no real animals are seen or even mentioned, does that make humans Pokemon themselves, yet they don't realize they're Pokemon? Even so, the existence of humanity would have to prove the existence of regular animals, so how did Pokemon come into existence? Gah! my head hurts just thinking about it.

And then we have the Pokemon themselves, even the Pokemon based on carnivorous animals are shown eating berries or dog food, never meat, and while it's implied in various Pokedex entries throughout all 5 generations that Pokemon eat other Pokemon, we never see Pokemon hunting other Pokemon, it's like they're all vegetarians or something. I think the writers should take the time to make a special episode to show Pokemon nature, rather than always present with a trainer, since it's clear they've never watched a nature documentary before.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeroex View Post
    There was a lot of this in the original series, but there was some in the AG as well, I think--Right Place At The Right Mime or whatever? Max says something about hotdogs, May says something about a hamburger, and...Ash says something that I forgot. And you know that episode with Candice in DP, where they eat that hot/cold food? There might've been meat on the table, but I'm not sure...maybe Dawn and Iris converted everyone into vegetarians....
    I can certainly think so, one more thing that I have noticed is that food, especially meat, is shown less and less, maybe they don't want to go into this topic so much that they refuse to show it anymore.
    Avatar made by MelNathea on DeviantART
    SEA WEASELS: The group for Buizel and Floatzel fans!

CLICK MY ROBOT POKEMON ARMY OR ELSE!!!!!!
    My DA account

Blog Entries

There has been meat since AG. Meat and fish whether it's the from the original series or not has been present for a long time but the obviousness has died down. As the characters have only mentioned eating Pokemon (excluding Pokemon trying to eat other Pokemon) then it remains unknown I they eat Pokemon or real animals. Even though it's the original series some animals are still shown to exist meaning that there are real animals in the series because the original series is still canon.As more Pokemon were created They replaced the animals and died down on the food stuff probably because they weren't sure I'd they should have them eat Pokemon or not.

Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

Even though it's the original series some animals are still shown to exist meaning that there are real animals in the series because the original series is still canon.
    It's still canon, yes, but that doesn't mean things can't be retconned later on.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu View Post
    Even though it's the original series some animals are still shown to exist meaning that there are real animals in the series because the original series is still canon.
    It's still canon, yes, but that doesn't mean things can't be retconned later on.
    And what would that be?

Thanks for contributing

If you want to imagine Ash eating a Porygon-Z, be my guest.
    fuck you, sig.

You Are (Not) Fine Winterdaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Winterdaze on Tumblr

Well, I seem to recall characters eating octopus balls specifically called Okutank-yaki in several episodes. Whether or not that means they contain actual Octillery is up for speculation.

Who am I? Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu View Post
    We see the same thing with the pokemon based on carnivorous animals, too. We only ever see them eating Berries; we never see pokemon hunting other pokemon for food.
    The Pokédex in the games outright says that some Pokémon eat others (then again, reading Kadabra's, Banette's and Yamask's entries show just how twisted the Pokédex can be xD) so at least in the games, Pokémon eat each other.

I guess in the anime, they avoid it because they don't want kids traumatised at the sight of Cilan catching a Magikarp, killing it and cooking it xD? Although I'd say the main reason for burgers and hot dogs is probably just to give them something that the viewers would probably eat.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast