Do you wish Ash would bring in his Pokemon from older regions from time to time? - Page 4

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Do you wish Ash would bring in his Pokemon from older regions from time to time?

Default Re: Do you wish Ash would bring in his Pokemon from older regions from time to time?

Ye. I really would love for him to bring Gible along. I mean cmon he got so little screen-time.

Default Re: Do you wish Ash would bring in his Pokemon from older regions from time to time?

It would be awesome for them appear! Especially Pokes that hadn't so much focus as Totodilem Gilbe, glalie! But Ash now has a pretty big party and doesn't need all those Pokes! I don't see them appear in the League as well! Maybe in the after-league subplot we all are cheering for

AS long as they show up.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Totodile57263
    I think that Ash chooses to not bring any of his old Pokemon with him because it brings forth more of a challenge for him in new regions. If he had, Pokemon like Charizard would dominate every battle. It also shows that Ash is a better trainer. He doesn't have to bring all of his previous Pokemon with him to succeed.
    Pretty much summed up my thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Destiny Queen
    At least he wouldn't look stupid with his old pokemons. We all remember the glory of Ash and his golden team - he knew what he was doing and did a great job in training his pokemon - they all trust him and none of them are useless. Heck, even all 30 of his Tauros are awesome.
    You've really baffled me with this post, because I can't remember his "golden" team ever being shown to have great training or having many hard-earned victories (the pity badges being a good example). For the most part they were strong out of thin air because the writer's wanted them to be.

Quote Originally Posted by jman21 View Post
    I agree. I'm tired of Iris putting him down all the time by calling him a little kid of all things, and trip acting like he's a stupid noob trainer. Introduce them to Charizard, Heracross, Sceptile and infernape and they'd shut the heck up.
    Aaaaaaaaaaand Shooty would have still beaten Satoshi in BW1 because that's what the writers wanted to do to establish their rivalry. I'm not quite sure why the choice of Pokémon would suddenly change the writer's plans, especially as Pikachu is Satoshi's number 1 Pokémon from a promotional sense and arguably a battling one (Regice, Latios come to mind).
    Any Pokémon can be de-powered at any time so I doubt they'd "shut Iris or Shooty up".

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrossword View Post
    I really don't see why won't they make Ash use his old Pokemon more often.
    Busy promoting the current generation and its Pokémon in my opinion.

Ye. I really would love for him to bring Gible along. I mean cmon he got so little screen-time.
    Actually I'd say he got quite a lot of screentime for the number of episodes he was in, along with a running gag to boot. Have a look at Kenhallow; she's had over 60 episodes and gotten a fraction of Fukamaru's screentime. There's certainly been worse cases than Fukumaru.

I really don't understand the Japanese names of the characters but it would make a quite a big difference. So Ash choses to bring Infernape and Trip uses Snivy. Now Reshiram comes and disables all of Infernapes fire type moves and he wouldn't be able to do anything with dig/mock punch etc.

Moe
    Blog Entries

I really don't understand the Japanese names of the characters but it would make a quite a big difference. So Ash choses to bring Infernape and Trip uses Snivy. Now Reshiram comes and disables all of Infernapes fire type moves and he wouldn't be able to do anything with dig/mock punch etc.
    Or, that could have happened to Tepig unknowingly and that's the real reason it's original trainer left it, because its real strength was locked away. The difference between those two is that Infernape's growth was done in DP and basically completed but Tepig would have offered something new for the storyline to tackle, something new for Ash to achieve as a trainer in getting the most out of a Pokemon. I don't see how it makes a big difference at all to include Infernape - beyond making the show worse by being repetitive.

Certainly, there's some of Ash's old Pokemon that haven't had the degree of growth and development that is ideal. You use the example of Gible a lot - but naturally with this series there's a huge overlap with Iris. The writers would either have made Iris' goal as a dragon master look pathetic by having Ash be so good with a dragon type so easily, or would have to artificially stunt Ash's ability to get the most out of Gible as some way of making Iris look good. I do think Gible will appear later on - I'd even suggest it will be the very first of Ash's Pokemon bought across - but only once they develop Iris' character to the point where Ash having a dragon will work to the advantage of both of their goals - well after the events of the 8th Gym.

However, right now the Pokemon that need growth and development are his growing list of seconds in what he's caught in Unova. Totally agree with Iteru's point about Unfezant, if only Ash's Pokemon were being treated as 'badly' as Gible was in terms of screen time and on screen training. There's plenty of time later for his older Pokemon, he should get to work with who he has (unless of course the intention is that he will release the neglected ones in a Team Plasma related plot).

I'm a Biotic God. FEAR ME sonic10158's Avatar

Bulbasaur! Afterall, it is the pokemon he has had the longest to date (minus Pikachu of course)

Top game series: Pokémon, Mass Effect, Mario, Sonic, Batman Arkham, Ace Combat, Forza, GTA, Sly Cooper, etc

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Iteru View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Destiny Queen
    At least he wouldn't look stupid with his old pokemons. We all remember the glory of Ash and his golden team - he knew what he was doing and did a great job in training his pokemon - they all trust him and none of them are useless. Heck, even all 30 of his Tauros are awesome.
    You've really baffled me with this post, because I can't remember his "golden" team ever being shown to have great training or having many hard-earned victories (the pity badges being a good example). For the most part they were strong out of thin air because the writer's wanted them to be.
    I was just reffering to his Kanto starters - Bulbasaur, Squirtle, Charizard, Pidgeot, and Pika. The five of them make a great team, and I wish they were brought over like they had been at AG Battle Frontier (with the exception of Pidgeot)

Find me on Serebii Forums Ash Ketchum!'s Avatar

Gible along. I mean cmon he got so little screen-time.
    I'd rather it be Kingler or Muk. Kingler hasn't been seen in a long time, and Muk has only beat that one Bellsprout from Kanto.

Quote Originally Posted by sonic10158 View Post
    Bulbasaur! Afterall, it is the pokemon he has had the longest to date (minus Pikachu of course)
    I think this is pretty much guaranteed. Bulbasaur has made at least cameos in every saga, so I'm assuming he probably will make one after the Unova League.

Somalian Anarchy Leader! Please Understand's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Please Understand on Tumblr Visit Please Understand's Youtube Channel

I guess that I would. Gible would have been a nice addition to bring with Ash and got on the airplane to follow him, like Aipom did in the start of DP. That could have happened, but that sadly never happened because we never know what happened to Ash after DP.

But a nice return of one of Ash's Pokémon from DP, AG, or the OS, and Iris would shut up about Ash being a kid. Oh wait; Gible fits. My god, this is full of possibilties. Maybe during the next Dan tournament, maybe a return of one of Ash's older pokémon would be nice. If it happens.
    Why are you looking here? There is nothing here.

EDIT: Sorry for the Necro. Didn't realize this was from a Search.. Forgot I was searching.

Quote Originally Posted by DracoMan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gliscor'd View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Unovian View Post
    Kanto to Johto was the best. When he arrived in Johto he didn't dump all his Pokes but slowly got rid off them while at the same time catching new ones
    That was the worst thing they ever did. Ash's Kanto pokemon came into Johto but he just got rid of them early on anyway, so what was the point? Bulbasaur never even got a Gym in Johto, so what was it there for?
    Actually, it was exactly how Ash should've handled every post-Kanto region. Every time he entered a new region without at least half a full team, something bad happened to him (and each time involving Pikachu) which he could've dealt with more effectively with additional support. The best thing for him to do is to phase out his veterans one at a time while the rookies gain more experience. Otherwise, there's too much of a chance for him to get completely overwhelmed.

Of course, since TPTB seem to have almost completely erased Ash's pre-Unova backstory, I don't anticipate seeing any of his old Pokes anytime soon.
    I disagree. Had Ash brought in his All-stars in at the start of every new Challenge, he would of found himself Relying on his strongest front-liners every time he had came up against even the slightest challenge, which wouldn't of been of any Benefit to either his Ability as a Trainer nor his Pokemon. There is no challenge in playing in the Little Leagues with a Team of Ringers.

The only reason he brought Pikachu is because of the Bond of Friendship they share and also why Ash Holds off in Sending in Pikachu most of the time. He wants to Challenge himself as a Trainer, not be carried by his Pokemon.

Quote Originally Posted by Totodile57263 View Post
    I think that Ash chooses to not bring any of his old Pokemon with him because it brings forth more of a challenge for him in new regions. If he had, Pokemon like Charizard would dominate every battle. It also shows that Ash is a better trainer. He doesn't have to bring all of his previous Pokemon with him to succeed.
    The problem is that he doesn't seem to realize that there's a difference between challenging himself and screwing himself, which is what he frequently does.

I still consider this to be tactically stupid on Ash's part, with all the crap that happens to him no matter where he goes. Hell, if I were him, I wouldn't go to the market without a full team on my belt, much less into terra incognita.
    And what do you expect him to do? Go through Life, Expecting Disaster to Strike at every Turn? He doesn't realize that he's in a T.V. Show, you know. He doesn't have the ability to predict when the Writers plan to throw him a Plot Twist.

Quote Originally Posted by pokemon fan 132 View Post
    He definitely should. Using reserves from time to time adds to Ash credibility as trainer, compared to low image Trip and others in Unova formed out of him. It actually brigs more continuity to anime,with Ash past achievements and regions he traveled through being references more in that way reminding viewers how pokemon is treated as entity and not individual fraction which erase everything which happened in past.
    And that is exactly why he SHOULDN'T be using any of his Former Pokemon. Ash's Credibility as a Trainer should be reflected in how he Trains whatever Pokemon he has, not how powerful those in his stable are. Ash wants to be acknowledged by his Skills as a Trainer, not by how Powerful of Pokemon he Has. Showing those who doubt him how he Trains a new Pokemon speaks more to his Ability as a Trainer then just pulling out a strong Pokemon whenever Ash feels like times are getting tough.

See, this is where you guys misunderstand what Ash's Goal of becoming a Pokemon Master means. It's not about having a Single team of Super Powered Pokemon that he can use to Sweep-away any Obstacle in his path. A Pokemon Master isn't about Being the Most Dominate Trainer with the most Powerful Pokemon. It's about Being the best Pokemon Trainer that he can be.

Ash's Goal is to Learn how to "Master" trainingPokemon, even if that means being at a Disadvantage; To learn as much as he can about Pokemon he meets; their Natures, their Personalities, their Motivations, their Hopes and Dreams, their Potential as both Partner and as a Friend.

To Ash, His Goal isn't the Destination; It's the Journey.
    Owain likes this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheCableGuy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gliscor'd View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Unovian View Post
    Kanto to Johto was the best. When he arrived in Johto he didn't dump all his Pokes but slowly got rid off them while at the same time catching new ones
    That was the worst thing they ever did. Ash's Kanto pokemon came into Johto but he just got rid of them early on anyway, so what was the point? Bulbasaur never even got a Gym in Johto, so what was it there for?
    Actually, it was exactly how Ash should've handled every post-Kanto region. Every time he entered a new region without at least half a full team, something bad happened to him (and each time involving Pikachu) which he could've dealt with more effectively with additional support. The best thing for him to do is to phase out his veterans one at a time while the rookies gain more experience. Otherwise, there's too much of a chance for him to get completely overwhelmed.

Of course, since TPTB seem to have almost completely erased Ash's pre-Unova backstory, I don't anticipate seeing any of his old Pokes anytime soon.
    I disagree. Had Ash brought in his All-stars in at the start of every new Challenge, he would of found himself Relying on his strongest front-liners every time he had came up against even the slightest challenge, which wouldn't of been of any Benefit to either his Ability as a Trainer nor his Pokemon. There is no challenge in playing in the Little Leagues with a Team of Ringers.

The only reason he brought Pikachu is because of the Bond of Friendship they share and also why Ash Holds off in Sending in Pikachu most of the time. He wants to Challenge himself as a Trainer, not be carried by his Pokemon.
    I'm not saying that by bringing some of his veterans with him, Ash will automatically use them to bail him out every time. That's not what he did in Johto. Like I said, he lets his rookies train with his veterans to gain more experience, and then they'll be far more reliable. As for the vets, he'd only fall back on them as a last resort.

Quote Originally Posted by Totodile57263 View Post
    The problem is that he doesn't seem to realize that there's a difference between challenging himself and screwing himself, which is what he frequently does.

I still consider this to be tactically stupid on Ash's part, with all the crap that happens to him no matter where he goes. Hell, if I were him, I wouldn't go to the market without a full team on my belt, much less into terra incognita.
    And what do you expect him to do? Go through Life, Expecting Disaster to Strike at every Turn? He doesn't realize that he's in a T.V. Show, you know. He doesn't have the ability to predict when the Writers plan to throw him a Plot Twist.
    As a matter of fact, that's exactly what I'd expect of him. Even if he doesn't realize he's in a TV show (which he does, by the way, given how often everyone's broken the fourth wall), he should still know from experience that he's a danger magnet. Hell, just being a Pokemon Trainer means that he should always expect trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by pokemon fan 132 View Post
    He definitely should. Using reserves from time to time adds to Ash credibility as trainer, compared to low image Trip and others in Unova formed out of him. It actually brigs more continuity to anime,with Ash past achievements and regions he traveled through being references more in that way reminding viewers how pokemon is treated as entity and not individual fraction which erase everything which happened in past.
    And that is exactly why he SHOULDN'T be using any of his Former Pokemon. Ash's Credibility as a Trainer should be reflected in how he Trains whatever Pokemon he has, not how powerful those in his stable are. Ash wants to be acknowledged by his Skills as a Trainer, not by how Powerful of Pokemon he Has. Showing those who doubt him how he Trains a new Pokemon speaks more to his Ability as a Trainer then just pulling out a strong Pokemon whenever Ash feels like times are getting tough.

See, this is where you guys misunderstand what Ash's Goal of becoming a Pokemon Master means. It's not about having a Single team of Super Powered Pokemon that he can use to Sweep-away any Obstacle in his path. A Pokemon Master isn't about Being the Most Dominate Trainer with the most Powerful Pokemon. It's about Being the best Pokemon Trainer that he can be.

Ash's Goal is to Learn how to "Master" trainingPokemon, even if that means being at a Disadvantage; To learn as much as he can about Pokemon he meets; their Natures, their Personalities, their Motivations, their Hopes and Dreams, their Potential as both Partner and as a Friend.

To Ash, His Goal isn't the Destination; It's the Journey.
    I think Ash's skills as a trainer are already reflected in how powerful his Pokemon are. And going back to my earlier point about Ash's rookies training alongside his vets for a while, that could actually be the best way to prove Ash's skills as a trainer--his vets would be so well-trained that they can then train the rookies. It's like that saying about how leaders don't create followers; they create more leaders. Ash and his Pokemon could reflect that.
    You Might Be A Redneck If...

You think The Nutcracker is something you did off the high dive.
    You've ever smuggled food out of an all-you-can-eat buffet.
    The original color of your carpet is an unsolved mystery.
    You've had more court dates than second dates.
    The closest you've come to royalty is eating at Burger King.
    You've ever stared at a carton of orange juice because it said "concentrate."
    You think a quarterhorse is that ride in front of K-Mart.

Blog Entries

Yes, I think he should. Only from time to time, and not long enough to upstage his current pokémon. The current gen has to be promoted, of course. Maybe as training buddies or mentors of sorts, not used to sweep tournaments. Besides, I don't think that's in his personality.

I think it would serve as a nice reminder that Ash isn't really a newbie, no matter how many times they seem to have reset him. He's gone through four regions, and successfully trained several pokémon in every one. It wouldn't hurt, surely.

[sources: sig gif|avatar]

pokemon fan 132 pokemon fan 132's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don't see any issue in reusing older pokemon from time to time. Since their strength and current status only reflects Ash skill level and how well he trained them, adding to believability of his trainer abilities. Nevertheless its completely normal to rely on stronger and more trained pokemon if opponent your facing showed to be bigger bait than any of new pokemon which were less trained could deal with, to increase your chance of winning.

Im completely fine if Ash older pokemon receive chance to shine more, as long it doesn't happen during main series conflicting with development of new pokemon. It is actually refreshing when Ash brings some of familiar faces for league or filler arcs like BF,like Charizard, Sceptile or Snorlax to battle or to do justice with underdeveloped ones(like Phanphy).

Blog Entries

The problem is power varies too much from series to series and the power of any one pokemon is determined by plot rather than logic. For example if Ash had to lose to Elesa for whatever reason in order to introduce a subplot. So we would see him get screwed over even if he used gliscor and torterra. Then on the flip side if they wanted to push the power of friendship or some other equally bullshit reasoning the same battle could be Mijumaru vs a Luxray and the plushie would take multiple thunders to the face and live to OHKO with tackle. In the end though I firmly believe only if past pokemon can get wins and battles befitting their power and experience should they actually come back. Otherwise we end up with stuff like Charizard vs Dusclops, Swellow vs Latios and torkoal vs Darkrai.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast