Do you want Ash to rotate all his pokemon during the XY anime? - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Do you want Ash to rotate all his pokemon during the XY anime?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Do you want Ash to rotate all his pokemon during the XY anime?

I'd really prefer to see Ash stick with around 5 or 6 Pokemon in the Kalos region since the rotation was handled rather poorly in Unova, resulting in some Pokemon like Palpitoad, Leavanny, and Boldore getting such little screen time. They don't need Ash catching 9 Pokemon for this series if they can't handle so many properly.
    Hidden Mew likes this.
    Claimed Monferno on 12/8/13

Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

I still wouldn't want Ash to rotate in XY. I'm still hoping that he won't catch more than six Pokemon just because of how catching too many Pokemon was a problem for his BW team. I wouldn't mind seeing him use his older Pokemon for maybe some special events like in Johto or for the Kalos League, but I'd prefer for him to stick with just one full team for the whole series like how AG and DP handled his team.
    The_Doctor likes this.

The Deceiver Pokemon Team Gaara's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Seeing as how terrible this "rotation" was in BW, I wouldn't want it again. There were times I forgot Ash even had Krookodile, Boldore, and Palpitoad because of how rarely we saw them compared to his starters and Pikachu.

I'm hoping he'll catch five at the most and that they'll all get some pretty even screen time and use in battles. If he just has to catch more, I'm hoping that the rotation will be executed better.

...Ash had a Boldore? Must have missed some episodes.

8D

No. I'd rather not see it. I do think it has potential to work if improved. Like if they cut down the pokemon so that instead of 10-11 pokemon, Ash rotates like 7-8. I actually thought the screentime wasn't that bad in BW, at least for the reserves. While we barely see them, if you compare to the last time Ash had regional reserves (Kanto), it's a big improvement since Kingler wasn't even used until the league (where it evolved the first time it was used as well). Muk only ever has one official win at all iirc and Tauros wasn't used until OI.

Imo, I think the problem was that the way the writers handled it. To me, they made it seem like rotation would be more frequent than what it was. Maybe it was their intention throughout the whole series to have them show up more but in the end, the "reserves" in BW were still treated just as how most reserves in the past were usually treated. And I think that's where the issue comes from because for me, the past series have always made Ash's team divided into two roles: his main team and the reserves at Oak's. For BW, it was like the lines were blurred a bit and it was expected that the reserves have more of a showing. That plus having 10 pokemon to rotate in a series that's only 3 years long (and when we've been so used to Ash having a 6 pokemon team for nearly a decade)...the whole thing just didn't work out so well, especially when it came to the point that screentime with the starters was also competing.

If XY were to try and do the rotation thing, I think the best would be to do the BF idea. Ash has 5 pokemon, rotates the 6th. Because in all honesty, the screentime for the reserves would be the same but at least the expectation of their roles would be a bit more clear.

But in all honesty, not only do they not need to worry about treating the reserves well, but there's something about the consistency of a 6 pokemon team that I prefer more than rotation. I like the feeling of knowing that if Ash were to have a full battle with a Champion or a rival, I know exactly who he'll use. And besides individual development, a 6 pokemon team can undergo team development together like that one episode with Ash and his pokemon after the first 6 vs. 6 Paul battle. The 6th slot also won't feel like a reserve slot and more of an integrated team spot. If Ash really needs his reserves for Kalos, he can always just call Oak because unlike BW, there's no gen 6 only pokemon thing going on. I'm sure that the screentime for any reserves can be devoted to the ones that need it at Oak's. So yeah, I prefer if he doesn't rotate.
    SaftOchBulle likes this.

MEGA F'ING AMPHAROS!!! Ampharos King's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If Ash does catch more than five pokemon in the Kalos region, I would like him to rotate his team more often and switch up the rotations as well. In Best Wishes, Ash almost had Pikachu and the three Unova starters in reserve, Scraggy as the fifth member (until the start of the Unova League), and a sixth slot for whatever pokemon Ash planned to use in that episode. Hopefully this time around, Ash will rotate whatever starter pokemon he will catch in Kalos with any other. The problem with the rotation in BW was that the Unova starter trio had far too much exposure at the expense of the other pokemon Ash caught in Unova.

Blog Entries

All I will say is this "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

Blog Entries

They need to have 5 rotation slots instead of 1.

Not even my final form GreatLiver's Avatar

I think it was shown that rotation doesn't work out too well, but I think part of that may simply be that Ash had all three starters. Too much time had to be spent whoring those three out along with Pikachu. Ash caught some cool less generic pokemon, but we barely got to see any of them because they were all vying for the same one spot in rotation. We saw more of the starters than we would have liked to, and less of everything else. If Ash is to catch only one of the starters while the others are with traveling companions, I think he'd be able to manage like 3 rotating spots and fill them with 5 or 6 pokemon. That would be more doable than 6 pokemon vying for a single spot.

I'm still even hesitant to say that, just because of how poorly the rotation was done in BW. Having companions that actually do something and are goal oriented is also an important factor to that. That way they too can have larger teams which allows the opportunity to flesh out a greater number of pokemon. May and Dawn were fine with full teams because they were actually doing something with all their pokemon, which made it fine for Brock to only have like 3. In BW we had two companions who weren't definably goal oriented, so they had fewer pokemon to be seen too.

I like him having more than six pokemon because that helps with not having to pull another Charizard if he needs extra pokemon. He's a trainer so he should be able to catch as many pokemon as he wants. And if I'm not mistaken he did rotate quite a few times. So it's not like he doesn't.

While I like seeing Ash use more Pokemon and bringing back old friends like Charizard, the rotating was executed quite poorly in my opinion. While I missed some of his old pokemon, I preferred back when Ash only kept a well rounded team of 6 Pokemon per region (including Pikachu of course). So unless they can improve Ash's rotating significantly, I'd prefer they stick with 6 pokemon total.

追放されたバカ

I think rotating failed to be honest. It left most of the Pokemon undeveloped, including Pikachu, who was void of all personality in BW.

Also vary it up a little.

Ash currently has 2 grass types, 2 fire types, 2 water types, and a rock and a ground (which is kind of similar)
    Also 2 of his Pokemon have flying traits, and not to mention one of those water types is also part ground. the only unique ones Ash has is Scraggy and Pikachu

Blog Entries

Follow Midorikawa on Tumblr Visit Midorikawa's Youtube Channel

I would say no to rotation because the writers tend to concentrate only a few of his pokemon most of the time, one of which is pikachu. Pikachu, Oshawott, Scraggy and Pignite probably got the most development while others literally appeared once in a while to evolve or develop a little. Even snivy after her initial appearance got little screentime except once in a while for battles or finding pokemon like Kibago. Every region Ash catches the grass starter and the common flying type so we can expect to see chespin as a permanent on his team and if he catches more than six then his flying type gets no development like noctowl, pidgeot, and unefezant. No rotation would be better if they decide to concentrate all their attention on just a few since if they do then at least most of his team will get more development. I definitely don't want his old pokemon being rotated since they tend to take screentime from the newer ones and its always the same old ones.

Also just because its supposed to be longer I doubt that would change anything. There was plenty of time to give all of his pokemon in BW screentime instead of random evolutions.

Quote Originally Posted by Palpitoad the White View Post
    But I have read that BW only was to wait out for XY so the XY anime is probably going to be long. Then they can let Ash have more pokemon.
    No idea where you read that but its false. BW was to show off Black and White. The extra things like episode N, and the islands most likely are for holding out but the main adventure definitely isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Genwunner View Post
    I think rotating failed to be honest. It left most of the Pokemon undeveloped, including Pikachu, who was void of all personality in BW.

Also vary it up a little.

Ash currently has 2 grass types, 2 fire types, 2 water types, and a rock and a ground (which is kind of similar)
    Also 2 of his Pokemon have flying traits, and not to mention one of those water types is also part ground. the only unique ones Ash has is Scraggy and Pikachu
    Actually, since Scraggy is part Fighting, it's not completely unique since Pignite is also Fighting. This leaves Pikachu alone for being unique.

Slightly off topic: As of right now, I'm predicting Ash's team will contain Pikachu, Chespin, and Fletchling for sure. I don't think he will get Fennekin at all and I think that Froakie is somewhat possible, but not super likely.
    Last edited by The_Doctor; 25th July 2013 at 01:43 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123