Do you think that the marketing department has ever affected the writing of the show? - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Do you think that the marketing department has ever affected the writing of the show?

Somalian Anarchy Leader! John Understands's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow John Understands on Tumblr Visit John Understands's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Do you think that the marketing department has ever affected the writing of the s

I want to say that the Pokémon anime was pretty much "BUY POKEMON GSCRSEFRLGDPPtHGSSBWB2W2 NAO!!!". But it's true.

Default Re: Do you think that the marketing department has ever affected the writing of the s

When it first started, no. But as the anime went on, it became more marketed driven to the point that any plot point it have early on were no longer relevant.
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Melonhead; 1032-2149-6593; Ground: Wooper, Marowak, Gastrodon
    PM me so I can add you back.

Follow クリスタル On Twitter

It seems that the current Pokemon Anime had became a plot black hole (note: not plot hole), where there is just not progress for the protagonist Ash.

It seems that the story plot writing of current Pokemon anime had became very similar like the Doraemon anime, where the later series had became less relevant or no connection as all to the early plot, filled with many filler episodes, and also the audiences seems to unable to detect an "ending" to the series.

Well, if I compare the current Pokemon anime to the Doraemon anime, then really, it is possible that there will be no ending, and the anime was made merely for marketing the Pokemon franchise, but not for entertaining the audiences.
    "人には知らない世界はそこに存在する、そして人には知らない冒険はそこ に始まってる"
    Chapter 1: 謎の世界の生き物、闘うトレーナーたち
    MY PROFILE | AUTHOR'S PROFILE | PIXIV PROFILE

Quote Originally Posted by NacCrystal View Post
    It seems that the current Pokemon Anime had became a plot black hole (note: not plot hole), where there is just not progress for the protagonist Ash.

It seems that the story plot writing of current Pokemon anime had became very similar like the Doraemon anime, where the later series had became less relevant or no connection as all to the early plot, filled with many filler episodes, and also the audiences seems to unable to detect an "ending" to the series.

Well, if I compare the current Pokemon anime to the Doraemon anime, then really, it is possible that there will be no ending, and the anime was made merely for marketing the Pokemon franchise, but not for entertaining the audiences.
    I don't think Doraemon have a plot to begin with, which explained why it lasted as long as it is.
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Follow クリスタル On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Mecha View Post
    I don't think Doraemon have a plot to begin with, which explained why it lasted as long as it is.
    Doraemon does have a plot to begin with: The grand child of Nobita tries to change the future, so he went to the past using the Time Machine where Nobita was still a primary school child, let the cat-style robot Doraemon to take care of him until Nobita became a useful human.

However, even you have a story to begin with, it may just turns out to become unending. Doraemon does not have an ending because marketing the character had became more important then the story of that fandom. As you can see, according to the plot, changing the future of Nobita is the most important accomplishment of the plot. But, despite such mission had been accomplished at some early volume (I think it was even earlier than vol.10), the manga had extended up to Vol.45 by the original author, mainly due to marketing reason.
    Even until Fujiko F. Fujio died, the last volume of Doraemon was not an ending. Now the new Doraemon series were not made by him, but by Furiko Pro, the manga production company made by the author. But, if it is made by a company, there will obviously be no ending, or else the personnel working at the company receive an "ending".

I am comparing Pokemon with Doraemon because it seems that Pokemon had went into the same path like Doraemon, doesn't matter there exist difference where Doraemon was first made as manga and Pokemon first made as game. It is just that the fictional characters of that franchise had became such an enormous market, so the entertainment company that represents those fictional character will obviously not hope for an ending.
    Last edited by クリスタル; 11th September 2012 at 12:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NacCrystal View Post
    Doraemon does have a plot to begin with: The grand child of Nobita tries to change the future, so he went to the past using the Time Machine where Nobita was still a primary school child, let the cat-style robot Doraemon to take care of him until Nobita became a useful human.

However, even you have a story to begin with, it may just turns out to become unending. Doraemon does not have an ending because marketing the character had became more important then the story of that fandom. As you can see, according to the plot, changing the future of Nobita is the most important accomplishment of the plot. But, despite such mission had been accomplished at some early volume (I think it was even earlier than vol.10), the manga had extended up to Vol.45 by the original author, mainly due to marketing reason.
    Even until Fujiko F. Fujio died, the last volume of Doraemon was not an ending. Now the new Doraemon series were not made by him, but by Furiko Pro, the manga production company made by the author. But, if it is made by a company, there will obviously be no ending, or else the personnel working at the company receive an "ending".

I am comparing Pokemon with Doraemon because it seems that Pokemon had went into the same path like Doraemon, doesn't matter there exist difference where Doraemon was first made as manga and Pokemon first made as game. It is just that the fictional characters of that franchise had became such an enormous market, so the entertainment company that represents those fictional character will obviously not hope for an ending.
    Actually, there are some hints that Doraemon succeeded in making Nobita a better person (time travel to meet future self), but the plot itself doesn't seem that important or have any form of climax/conclusion in sight; it's a vague plot at most.

But I see were you're going with this comparison, the problem however is that Doraemon's simple plot and story is acceptable given that it was more geared toward children than Pokémon. The only thing that both have in common, especially with the Animes in question, is that they'll last as long as the source material. Like you said, the Company that holds the rights to Doraemon have no intentions of ending the franchise, and obviously, neither does Game Freak inc./Pokémon co..
    Last edited by Dr. Mecha; 11th September 2012 at 10:25 PM.
    Albert Einstein

Follow クリスタル On Twitter

Actually, there are some hints that Doraemon succeeded in making Nobita a better person (time travel to meet future self), but the plot itself doesn't seem that important or have any form of climax/conclusion in sight; it's a vague plot at most.

But I see were you're going with this comparison, the problem however is that Doraemon's simple plot and story is acceptable given that it was more geared toward children than Pokémon. The only thing that both have in common, especially with the Animes in question, is that they'll last as long as the source material. Like you said, the Company that holds the rights to Doraemon have no intentions of ending the franchise, and obviously, neither does Game Freak inc./Pokémon co..
    Yeah, you see, that's the problem. Because the company that produce those fictional characters (Furiko Pro for Doraemon, and Game Freak + Pokemon Company for Pokemon) had no intention to give an ending, hence the anime will be filled with all sorts of filler episodes, for the sake of elongate the airing life time of the whole anime series. And that leads to the OP's original concern of quality of the anime
    Last edited by クリスタル; 13th September 2012 at 03:43 PM.

Red
    Blog Entries
    Follow Red On Twitter Add Red on Facebook Add Red on Google+
    Visit Red's Youtube Channel

Marketing provides a role in all franchises; Batman will never clean up Gotham, because it would complete his mission as Batman. Despite a Chosen One Prophecy, and the "Rule of Two", Star Wars always seems to have unlimited amounts of Sith. It's an unfortunately side effect of making money; if something makes money, then more of the same will make more money.

And while this may all be true, I've never understood why Pokemon does it. The stars of this franchise are Pokemon, not Ash Ketchem. Ash could easily find success, finally, and a new protagonist be set up, maybe Ash "passing the torch" by giving away Pikachu. You get the idea. As it stands, I don't understand why the producers do not take a beautiful opportunity offered by very few franchises, and let a character find peace, and find someone new to carry the legacy.

This is so simple and elegant it's beautiful! Pokemon is about the Journey and the Pokemon, but not Ash's specifically. When did Pokemon become "Ash"?
    Last edited by Red; 15th September 2012 at 01:08 PM.
    Y: COMING SOON
    BLACK: 4213-4161-1545
    SOULSILVER: 3741-1763-4063

-You're really irritating.
    -Does irritating mean 'fun'?

No not really, but I think they have maybe with the TR-Meloetta arc.
    Ash and Pikachu fan all the way through!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123