Do you think that the marketing department has ever affected the writing of the show? - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Do you think that the marketing department has ever affected the writing of the show?

Jacen the Robot Floatzel Robo-Floatzel's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Robo-Floatzel On Twitter
    Visit Robo-Floatzel's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Do you think that the marketing department has ever affected the writing of the s

Quote Originally Posted by FinalSynFrey View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Robo-Floatzel View Post
    For why they never seem to let anyone reach their goals, I heard somewhere that if Ash or any of his friends achieved their goals, the show would automatically end, hence why Ash always loses the leagues, tournaments, and all that. Well, let me ask you this: What lesson is that teaching the viewers? Not only are Ash's losses at tournaments showing a bad example to viewers who dream of succeeding in their future goals, but it also makes players of the Pokemon games look bad, all so they can make more money.
    So Ash's goal to become a "Pokemon Master" is NOTHING. If the Anime Directors continue doing this attitude of repeating the same stuff over and over, I might as well stop watching It. What's the point of watching If the damn thing will never move forward?

Ash starts a Journey > Travels around for 8 Badges > Pokemon League > Then lose > Go back to Pallet > Travel to a new Region > Collect 8 Gym Badges > Pokemon League > Then Lose > Go back to Pallet > CYCLE REPEATS!

They make so much money, yet, they are too lazy to develop a better storyline for Pokemon. They just constantly recycle the same thing.
    I'm not kidding, one of the actual producers of the Pokemon anime came out and said that if Ash succeed, it would automatically mean the end of the anime, don't ask me why, as even I have no idea where they got that logic at all.
    I guess they are afraid to end the anime.
    I would want another producer for Pokemon because the current one just sucks. And I think I should just read the Pokemon Mangas (If I ever find one) so I can stop watching the anime. I heard Its tons better than the anime.

I mean there are TONS of flaws with the current Anime and the producers have yet to address them. They just continue doing the same repetitive things over and over.
    Exactly, I mean, I know many ways they can improve the anime, but they just keep making the same mistakes in an endless cycle, and more importantly, I don't even thing they even notice what they are doing wrong.

I think if they tried different things, they could not only improve the series, but also market it better, the anime is pretty much in a dark age currently, and it's not doing anything to get out of the ditch it has dug itself into.
    Avatar made by MelNathea on DeviantART
    SEA WEASELS: The group for Buizel and Floatzel fans!

CLICK MY ROBOT POKEMON ARMY OR ELSE!!!!!!
    My DA account

Blog Entries
    Follow FinalSynFrey On Twitter
    Visit FinalSynFrey's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Do you think that the marketing department has ever affected the writing of the s

For why they never seem to let anyone reach their goals, I heard somewhere that if Ash or any of his friends achieved their goals, the show would automatically end, hence why Ash always loses the leagues, tournaments, and all that. Well, let me ask you this: What lesson is that teaching the viewers? Not only are Ash's losses at tournaments showing a bad example to viewers who dream of succeeding in their future goals, but it also makes players of the Pokemon games look bad, all so they can make more money.
    So Ash's goal to become a "Pokemon Master" is NOTHING. If the Anime Directors continue doing this attitude of repeating the same stuff over and over, I might as well stop watching It. What's the point of watching If the damn thing will never move forward?

Ash starts a Journey > Travels around for 8 Badges > Pokemon League > Then lose > Go back to Pallet > Travel to a new Region > Collect 8 Gym Badges > Pokemon League > Then Lose > Go back to Pallet > CYCLE REPEATS!

They make so much money, yet, they are too lazy to develop a better storyline for Pokemon. They just constantly recycle the same thing.
    I'm not kidding, one of the actual producers of the Pokemon anime came out and said that if Ash succeed, it would automatically mean the end of the anime, don't ask me why, as even I have no idea where they got that logic at all.
    I guess they are afraid to end the anime.
    I would want another producer for Pokemon because the current one just sucks. And I think I should just read the Pokemon Mangas (If I ever find one) so I can stop watching the anime. I heard Its tons better than the anime.

I mean there are TONS of flaws with the current Anime and the producers have yet to address them. They just continue doing the same repetitive things over and over.
    Exactly, I mean, I know many ways they can improve the anime, but they just keep making the same mistakes in an endless cycle, and more importantly, I don't even thing they even notice what they are doing wrong.

I think if they tried different things, they could not only improve the series, but also market it better, the anime is pretty much in a dark age currently, and it's not doing anything to get out of the ditch it has dug itself into.
    At least they made Jessie, James, and Mewoth more serious. Gotta give them credit for that. But still isn't enough to improve the anime.

I've heard that Best Wishes (Or Black and White) have low ratings in Japan and USA?

Blog Entries

If you guys are gonna turn this into a general "The anime is shit, let's say how bad it is!" thread then I'm locking it. Answer and discuss the orignal question or don't post at all.

Blog Entries

So out of curiosity, are there any incidences where we actually have confirmation that the marketing department has had an effect on the show?

Devil Lobster Man Ranger Jack Walker's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Visit Ranger Jack Walker's Youtube Channel

No. The Marketing Department doesn't affect the writing department.

The Marketing department is the writing department.

H.M
    Follow H.M On Twitter
    Follow H.M on Tumblr

Given that there's a big Eevee merchandise campaign coming up (its page is here: とるナビ|バンプレスト「I LOVE EIEVUI」 ), you can bet someone might catch it. Maybe Iris or Kotetsu might have one on his team. Maybe it'll have it's own filler episode instead. It's all speculation here...

Oshawott used Baton Pass!
    ~Tumblr~Twitter~

Blog Entries
    Add Glitchipedia on Facebook

I've heard it said that the anime was supposed to end after the Indigo League, with Mewtwo Strikes Back as the grand finale, but the enduring popularity of the franchise forced the show to continue. You could say that the marketing department is the whole reason we still have an anime.

On that note, the bottom line is that the anime is formulaic because the games are formulaic. Seriously, every generation has the same basic plot (become a trainer, beat eight gyms, beat Team X, beat Pokémon League, finish Pokédex)—the only real difference is that the evil team gets eviler every time. More than likely, the anime copies this basic strategy in order to advertise more accurately.

YouTube projects advertised are in early development and subject to change.

Follow クリスタル On Twitter

Although all the main series game has the same game formula, but that doesn't mean the anime should then recycle the mistake for each season. Especially if you do so to the exact same protagonist, it just make the protagonist never grow like the current Ash.

Well, currently the Pokemon franchise gives a business image of marketing is much more important than creativity, so I supposed really scriptwriters for the Pokemon anime are not doing their job well.
    As you can see, the Pokemon franchise are now currently focus very much on goodies and merchandises related to the games, trading cards, and other original mini-Pokemon-brand noticeable in Pokemon Daisuki Club, but just not anime itself. The only merchandise related to the anime is the anime and the movies DVD themselves, there are no other mini-goodies with the anime characters were printed, so it just suggests not even the Pokemon franchise themselves put great focus into the anime production.
    "人には知らない世界はそこに存在する、そして人には知らない冒険はそこ に始まってる"
    Chapter 1: 謎の世界の生き物、闘うトレーナーたち
    MY PROFILE | AUTHOR'S PROFILE | PIXIV PROFILE

Jacen the Robot Floatzel Robo-Floatzel's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Robo-Floatzel On Twitter
    Visit Robo-Floatzel's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Glitchipedia View Post
    I've heard it said that the anime was supposed to end after the Indigo League, with Mewtwo Strikes Back as the grand finale, but the enduring popularity of the franchise forced the show to continue. You could say that the marketing department is the whole reason we still have an anime.

On that note, the bottom line is that the anime is formulaic because the games are formulaic. Seriously, every generation has the same basic plot (become a trainer, beat eight gyms, beat Team X, beat Pokémon League, finish Pokédex)—the only real difference is that the evil team gets eviler every time. More than likely, the anime copies this basic strategy in order to advertise more accurately.
    True, the franchise has been improving and evolving in that department, the plots of each generation have gotten darker, the villians have gotten more threatening, and the characters have been taking the situations more seriously.
    Avatar made by MelNathea on DeviantART
    SEA WEASELS: The group for Buizel and Floatzel fans!

CLICK MY ROBOT POKEMON ARMY OR ELSE!!!!!!
    My DA account

Caught in a lab romance~ Araragi-hakase's Avatar Head Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Araragi-hakase On Twitter
    Follow Araragi-hakase on Tumblr

Not all Pokemon merchandise comes from what is happening in the anime/movies. The movies are usually the big promo time, there are tons of promotions for them in Japan, at the 7-11's, Pokemon Centers, and elsewhere. As far as the anime itself, aspects of it, yes, but things that are released at the Pokemon Center have little to do with the anime. Pikachu, naturally, is almost always included in just about every promotion. Pochama also seems fairly popular (he had a whole promotion a few years ago that was stuff of him showing different expressions, and was ADORABLE), but there are loads of other popular Pokemon, that could be taken from an anime fan's pov and a collectors, that never got fanservice in the anime or vice versa. Kibago probably isn't going to evolve for the "aww cute pokemon" reason, but it doesn't get nearly the amount of merchandise that Piplup had. Pokemon Centers mostly do their own thing as far as promotions go. The anime in itself is just an advertisement for the games, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by H.M View Post
    Given that there's a big Eevee merchandise campaign coming up (its page is here: とるナビ|バンプレスト「I LOVE EIEVUI」 ), you can bet someone might catch it. Maybe Iris or Kotetsu might have one on his team. Maybe it'll have it's own filler episode instead. It's all speculation here...
    That Eevee promotion was announced a while ago, and Eevee is extremely popular among collectors, I doubt it has anything to do with the anime ^^;

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Araragi Hakase View Post
    That Eevee promotion was announced a while ago, and Eevee is extremely popular among collectors, I doubt it has anything to do with the anime ^^;
    That page even has the Best Wishes logo at the bottom. It is true that Eevee is often featured in toys, but recently there has been a surge of anime-related Eevee goods.
    Last edited by Silktree; 3rd September 2012 at 04:03 AM.

Caught in a lab romance~ Araragi-hakase's Avatar Head Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Araragi-hakase On Twitter
    Follow Araragi-hakase on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Silktree View Post
    That page even has the Best Wishes logo at the bottom.
    All of the Banpresto tags for Gen 5 stuff (from what I've seen, anyway) have the Best Wishes, and ShoPro logos on them. It's just a way of showing it is official merch.

I'm not saying you're wrong, just that, well, Eevee is one of the most popular Pokemon among collectors and it's been a while since they've had a promotion. All of the recent stuff I've seen is all from Banpresto, which tends to kinda do their own thing except when it comes to the movies, though they do work closely with the anime as far as merch goes (they came out with Dento and Satoshi figures not long ago based on their anime appearance). They're also doing an I Love Pikachu promo とるナビ|バンプレスト「I LOVE PIKACHU」 with the same gist.

I wouldn't be terribly surprised if Eevee or it's evolutions did make an appearance in the anime, though. Especially because apparently you could catch them in the wild in BW2? I could definitely see an episode with a bunch of wild Eevee running around. But usually campaigns like this aren't meant to be build up for a capture ^^;

Bow before me, bitches! SammyW27's Avatar
    Add SammyW27 on Facebook
    Visit SammyW27's Youtube Channel

Do I think so?

Oh hell yes.

Remember, the very reason the show exist is to pimp the games! (even if what happens to Ash can be (very) unfair to the players)
    Being a fan means being unashamed of what you like, no matter what anyone else says

Blog Entries

Ipretty much found this surfing the ol' Youtube and yep, it's true:

Merchandising is the major reason why for a majority of reasons-why there is never progress, why Ash never ages, why the anime keeps going, etc.

I'd say more, but it may be better for one of the debate threads and I may accidentally break my netbook fromhow pissed I am now.

H.M
    Follow H.M On Twitter
    Follow H.M on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Silktree View Post
    That page even has the Best Wishes logo at the bottom.
    All of the Banpresto tags for Gen 5 stuff (from what I've seen, anyway) have the Best Wishes, and ShoPro logos on them. It's just a way of showing it is official merch.

I'm not saying you're wrong, just that, well, Eevee is one of the most popular Pokemon among collectors and it's been a while since they've had a promotion. All of the recent stuff I've seen is all from Banpresto, which tends to kinda do their own thing except when it comes to the movies, though they do work closely with the anime as far as merch goes (they came out with Dento and Satoshi figures not long ago based on their anime appearance). They're also doing an I Love Pikachu promo とるナビ|バンプレスト「I LOVE PIKACHU」 with the same gist.

I wouldn't be terribly surprised if Eevee or it's evolutions did make an appearance in the anime, though. Especially because apparently you could catch them in the wild in BW2? I could definitely see an episode with a bunch of wild Eevee running around. But usually campaigns like this aren't meant to be build up for a capture ^^;
    I'm actually hoping you're right about that campaign not being related to the anime. I just know some toys actually "predict" what Pokemon will be featured in the anime.

One thing is on the Season 2 poster, they had a Riolu and Eevee on it. Riolu turned out to be Kotetsu's, so maybe there's something to do with Eevee in the future. I think a main character (May) and a main rival (Gary) having Eevees is enough...ahaha... that's just me though!

Oshawott used Baton Pass!
    ~Tumblr~Twitter~

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast