Do you have any unpopular opinions about the anime? - Page 7

Page 7 of 46 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 681
Like Tree740Likes

Thread: Do you have any unpopular opinions about the anime?

  1. #91
    Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    28,646
    Blog Entries
    49

    Default Re: Do you have any unpopular opinions about the anime?

    I wish Johto was never part of the original series, but its own entity. Ash and Brock should have got new clothes, and if Misty was still around, her too.

  2. #92
    Subete wo kagayakasu MizuTaipu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Purgatory
    Posts
    1,258
    Blog Entries
    61

    Default Re: Do you have any unpopular opinions about the anime?

    -The first English opening was a cheesy, commercialized, overly-dramatic piece of crap.
    -Hoenn was Johto 2.0 only with sparkly Contests and better Gym Battles.
    -The first movie is so overrated. IMO, it was an average, mediocre movie (including the fact that it was the franchise's first), yet everyone who's seen it claims it's the best thing ever without any criticism.
    Gengarzilla likes this.

  3. #93
    Face of mercy? NOPE Yato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Anywhere
    Posts
    6,663
    Blog Entries
    435

    Follow Yato on Tumblr

    Default Re: Do you have any unpopular opinions about the anime?

    I have another that just came to mind

    - they should've done more with Steven in AG ;_;

    the poor champion who got neglected....

  4. #94
    (-, - )…zzzZZZ Reila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,370
    Blog Entries
    59

    Default Re: Do you have any unpopular opinions about the anime?

    Let's see...

    º.) I don't hate Kasumi, but I think every other girl was more entertaining than her, specially Hikari.

    º.) The BW trio have the best chemistry in the whole series.

    º.) I don't like how different Dento is from his original persona in the games.
    To be honest, both the anime and manga portraits the Gym Leaders with very different personalities from their original selves. :/

    º.) I agree with MizuTaipu about the first movie being overrated.
    Even though I hold a lot of good memories about the first time I watched it, I pretty much prefer the second movie over it.

    º.) I think Kōhei, Kenyan and Bel are the most interesting rivals Satoshi had since the first episode of the anime.

    º.) I can't stand Kotetsu.

  5. #95
    Cuter in real life Iteru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Kent, England
    Posts
    10,733
    Blog Entries
    86

    Default Re: Do you have any unpopular opinions about the anime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Blueberry View Post
    I have another that just came to mind

    - they should've done more with Steven in AG ;_;

    the poor champion who got neglected....
    That's not an unpopular opinion, at least from what I've seen. A lot of people thought it should have been Steven in the Magma/Aqua finale than Lance.
    Rex Kamex likes this.

  6. #96
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    299
    Blog Entries
    18

    Default Re: Do you have any unpopular opinions about the anime?

    -The first movie (both the original and the dub) wasn't all that good in the first place. I thought there were far better movies like Lucario and the Mystery of Mew, and Giratina and the Sky Warrior.

    -I think that the 4Kids Advance openings were the weakest of their opening songs. For TPCi, I think the Galactic Battle's opening (Stand Up) is kinda catchy.

    -The dub compositions are getting worse as it progresses. (Trust me, this opinion is more unpopular than you think.) Also, removing musical silence takes away the integrity on what an english dub should be. In this case, the Pokemon dub. (Again, this is unpopular than you think it would be.)
    Last edited by BladeLight52; 13th October 2012 at 01:30 PM.

  7. #97
    Registered User Chiplet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Gender
    Genderless
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    952
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default Re: Do you have any unpopular opinions about the anime?

    Quote Originally Posted by pokemon fan 132 View Post
    Taking some of moves from other side and implementing in your battling style =/= hold same weight as teaching someone about basics, getting him familiar with how battle and strategies work preparing him for pokemon world. Basics are most important thing someone has to learn as trainer because it creates groundwork on which story can be build upon allowing trainer to grow forward. Without it there is no foundation set for you to develop and go on bigger, and better things.
    When was the last time you saw Ash think back about all the ''basics'' and feel grateful for that? I myself can't recall, and that's mostly because that I personally think that he learned the most of it by himself, and not them. They were supporting him, sure, and pointing out some mistakes, but As had his own type of bascis, which differs from other Trainers, and which he learned by himself.

    Misty without any doubt influenced Ash as trainer more than Dawn did, since she actually influenced outcome of battle with her tips and motivation, encouraged Ash to change strategy and get out of losing situation. It influenced his pokemon which as result of that learned new attacks. Harsh criticism and arguing forced him to start training his pokemon taking things more seriously, which leaded toward change in character, and provided push and moral boost to pass several challenges.
    ''without a doubt'' in your opinion. I hardly see that. As the matter of fact, I'd almost say that she influenced him the least. Ash has always battled in his own ways, and might have listened occasionally to his friends' words, but always went out battling by himself, surprising them in a positive manner rather than obeying them.

    When Dawn did such thing? Her contest style only helped enrich Ash current battling style with some new combinations, but she didn't caused change in character, didn't influenced outcome of battles directly and never prepared strategies for Ash, provided tips and worked with him in similar vein like Misty and Brock did.
    What about the spin? If anything, that helped Ash win his first gym battles in Sinnoh, and just that is pretty much more than Brock and Misty ever did, considering that he actually developed it later to his completely own move, the Counter Shield.

    I remember Brock preparing battle strategies for Ash helping him to defeat gym leaders, having private talks providing encouragement and giving him mass amount of tips about pokemon and tactics. I remember Misty solving clues for Ash allowing him to even earn right to challenge gym leaders(like Blaine), actually forcing him to train and take competition seriously, offering her pokemon and helping him about what is most suitable strategy to use against certain opponents in Kanto and Johto league, Whirl cup, side tournaments such as fire distinguishing contest etc.
    Oh, true. Brock did influence him a whole lot, that's very true. Misty, however... nah. She did at times, but Brock did influence him the most at that regard.

    Anyone who watched original series can notice how much Misty and especially Brock helped Ash to grow and advance as trainer, when he needed help the most.
    In other words, what you're telling me is that I didn't watch the OS? Please, those poor arguments of yours won't get you anywhere. Ash DID develop as a character, but mostly by his own effort, as he often took initiative and developed by going hiw own way.

    Your mixing cheering with mentoring. Giving someone motivation and reality check through criticism to go forward, pointing out mistakes will leave far more influence on trainer than simple moral support, since it actually forces him to think of finding way out of tough situations, acknowledge his flaws and grow stronger through every battle as result of that.
    You're definitely over-analysing Misty and Brock's very minor efforts on Ash's character, definitely. I never noticed, and now I mean never, how Ash directly was especially influenced by Misty and Brock's coaching, more than maybe a ''right, I'll do that instead''. However, with Iris and Dento, Ash actually got the boost to continue battling, which confronted him directly as he was nearly giving up due to a seemingly bad situation, without really beliving in himself or in his Pokémon. A character can always develop by making mistakes, definitely, but if the biggest mistake one can ever do is doubting himself and his own abilities, as that's the driving force to their strength.

    When did we see with Iris and Cilan putting Ash on ground when he got carried away, making him understand what he did wrong?
    Why would he do wrong if Misty and Brock have taught him so much? Why would he get carried away if that's something he has done previously, and thus learned by his mistakes?

    When did we saw their cheering influencing him to change strategy in middle of battle, which reflected on his pokemon and their performance?
    Ash's second battle against Trip. His battle against Elesa. His battle with Snivy. It wouldn't take long until the both of them started to believe in his actions though, which was based on just following your heart and going with what feels right, ignoring type-advantages.

    Yet he continued lying in bed losing interest for anything, until Misty came and criticized him.
    And he didn't come to his senses until THEY came in and interrupted.

    We are talking in here about coach and mentor role someone played to Ash,. Not cheering. Cheering is just one form of moral support to give encouragement to trainer when he battles, or competes.
    And from what I've seen, it also affects him the most as a Trainer, and confronts him the most as a Trainer too. So yeah.

    Examples i mentioned actually directly influenced flow of battles, and leaded toward Ash passing challenges put in front of him. Which is something Iris didn't really did.
    He isn't a rookie any longer. Iris has played the role to be the one to always doubt his reckless choices, being frustrated about him always calling on the ''wrong'' Pokémon, but later learned to trust his judgment, which was his own way.

    If it wasn't for them and help from outer side Ash wouldn't even pass his first gym battle against Brock, let alone lt. Surge, Blaine, Gary etc. Shows how competent and knowledgeable he was back in day, not even knowing to weaken pokemon and capture it, using worst possible pokemon in several situations which had huge disadvantage, didn't knew what attacks some of his pokemon can use etc.
    Of course not. As I said, ''supporting pillars''. Ash could also have followed Misty's advice and use her Pokémon to win, but what would he have accomplished by doing so? He refused, and decided to go and win using his own Pokémon, in other words he did what he himself felt was right.

    Ash wasn't prodigy when he started out. He was completely ignorant, brash and full of himself and if there wasn't for Misty and Brock he wouldn't come as far as he did. I don't even need to mention how much unfamiliar Ash was with how things in real life work and sense of danger, with his naivety often leading him toward disaster if it wasn't for Misty.
    You're makin it sound like he would've been a ''nobody'' without them. That's not true, for various reasons that I've already mentioned.

    Once again your listing typical examples of cheering and moral support every one of Ash traveling companions provided to him. And basing on what i saw Misty and Brock gave him as much moral support, as Dawn did in different way.

    Which did not only gave him encouragement and strength to advance forward, but also actually teach him about essence of battling, influenced outcome of battles, helped him to beat tough trainers and got him familiar with strategies and wise choice of pokemon in battles influencing him to grow as trainer far more.
    If you have watched all Ash's battles, you would've been able to know perfectly well that the source to him winning all those battles was mostly because his own belief and his own way of battling. He always surprised others by bringing out an unpredicatable Pokémon, and battled in a way that in the end would lead him to victory, despite type-disadvantage. Taking advice from others is fine, but the reason to why he's such a powerful Trainer is mostly because of his own initiative and his own belifes.

    Constantly believing someone can win, can often be counterproductive to his growth creating false belief how he already has situation in his hands, which can easily backfire on you. On other hand doubting in outcome of battle, questioning Ash skills and abilities as trainer can help you to realize your flaws, what you might have done wrong and try to work on fixing that.
    Which Misty reality checks and lowering his ego achieved.
    Wait, what? Are you actually trying to pull out a negative side from having confidence in your friend? Dawn had confidence in him for good reason, because through their journey they had trained together a whole lot, probably more than he did with any other, and she knew perfectly well what he was capable of doing, thus had good reasons to believe in him as a Trainer, as she always had been there, training with him and going through hardships alongside him. Misty should've done that to, have more confidence in him, and then maybe she would've seen that he wasn't so incapable of battling like she thought he was.

    I'm done. Let's agree to disagree, shall we?

    I know that you'll post one more time, but I won't read it, since I've finally gotten out all I wanted to say, and therefore only will ignore this. :)

    Besides, it's clearly getting off-topic.
    HumanDawn and Bubble Frog like this.
    ''A single thread in a tapestry though its color brightly shine, can never see its purpose, in the pattern of the grand design.''

  8. #98
    Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    28,646
    Blog Entries
    49

    Default Re: Do you have any unpopular opinions about the anime?

    I don't think the original trio should have been reunited for Johto. Instead Tracey could have stayed and then Brock could come back for AG like he did. That way people might have appreciated Brock's return more if he stayed gone longer.

    Also I don't like how people think the original trio is more important than any of the other groups. It was only ever used for about 50 more episodes than the others which in the anime means nothing. The writers never had any intention of reuniting the original trio and we all knew this back in 2004.

  9. #99
    It's Detective Time! Cilan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Straiton City
    Posts
    267

    Default Re: Do you have any unpopular opinions about the anime?

    1. The original series is overrated, and although I do like Misty, she really didn't do anything to make her stand out. She may have been in more episodes than May, Dawn, and possibly Iris, but that doesn't make her more memorable. Plus her pokemon had little to no personality at all. Psyduck and Politoed were probably the only ones (and maybe Corsola.)
    Also, I don't think the original trio was as 'close' as most people think they were. It was mainly 4Kids that made the group seem like 'friends until the end of time' because of songs like My Best Friends and Together Forever. 4Kids made the group seem closer than they were probably made out to be in Japan.

    2. If Ash kept Togepi then it would have actually did more and possibly evolved in Johto.

    3. I thought Tracey was an interesting character and I wish they could have done more with him.

    4. Johto should have been its own separate series (Pocket Monsters Gold and Silver maybe?) instead of being apart of the original series.
    To expand on this a bit more, If Johto was its own separate series then I would have loved if Gold (Jimmy, Ethan, whatever you want to call him) took Ash's place, and starting from there we could have have separate Pocket Monsters series with different protagonists to follow the games closer. I feel like Ash is only around because his main pokemon is the mascot of the franchise, and that's the sole reason.

    5. Team Rocket shouldn't have been the main villains for the entire series, but instead, the villains that are actually in the games. If you wanted comic relief villains, then some of the grunts say some pretty hilarious stuff ("This is bad for Team Plasma! Plasbad for short!") And all of this serious stuff that TR is doing in BW should have just been Team Plasma to begin with.

    6. Max was my favorite character in Advanced because in my eyes I kind of saw him as me watching the show (being the kid too young to own a pokemon but still loves them and wants to be friends with him) Plus I found him to be one of the funniest characters in the show. I actually liked his 'pulling Brock away by the ear' gag better than Misty's.

    7. Paul is overrated. He's basically Silver from GSC, but I don't think he was developed as well as Silver was. I get that the anime isn't as 'dark' as the games (for the most part) but I kind of wish we could have learned more about Paul's past to see why he was so cold.

    8. I never really liked the fact that you got all dressed up for a Pokemon Contest in DP. To me that's like the equivalent of getting all dressed up for a dog show (if people actually do that.) You're only showing off your pokemon, so what's the point of the trainer dressing up all fancy? I'm not saying a trainer should go in just their underwear, but I liked it better in AG when they just wore their regular clothes.

    9. I kind of feel like that if they were promoting Dawn so much at the beginning of DP (having her in the center of the eyecatches in Japan, having her own Ending theme which showcases mainly her, etc.) then she should have just been the main protagonist of DP without Ash having to be there. I can see her doing gyms and contests, since she was a more active battler than her processors. Maybe DP could have been the start of having a new protagonist take over besides Ash. If I recall, a lot of people actually did think that Ash wasn't gonna be in DP because of all of the promos that featured just Dawn in them.

    10. Even though I love Cilan, they really need to do more with him and develop his Pokemon. The only one who really has a personality that stands out is Pansage, but that's only because it acts just like its trainer. Cilan gets a lot of lines and 'moments' but I feel that it's only because of his seiyuu. Usually whenever Cilan has his 'moments' all I can think about is either Tamaki or Masaomi Kida.

    11. I never found Brock stale at any point. He always managed to make me laugh. I'll admit that there were times where he was just 'there' (especially in DP) but he still entertained me so I never found him boring.
    Charbok likes this.


    ~Claimer of Pansage in the Claim a Pokemon thread~
    ~Claimer of Cilan in the Claim a Character thread~

  10. #100
    Face of mercy? NOPE Yato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Anywhere
    Posts
    6,663
    Blog Entries
    435

    Follow Yato on Tumblr

    Default Re: Do you have any unpopular opinions about the anime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Iteru View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Blueberry View Post
    I have another that just came to mind

    - they should've done more with Steven in AG ;_;

    the poor champion who got neglected....
    That's not an unpopular opinion, at least from what I've seen. A lot of people thought it should have been Steven in the Magma/Aqua finale than Lance.
    Is that so? Then I'm really happy to hear that XDD But nobody reallly talked about it... so...

  11. #101
    OSHAWHAT?
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,377

    Default Re: Do you have any unpopular opinions about the anime?

    Also...

    - I'd prefer BW! JJ&M to be, rather than incredibly serious or incredibly comic relief, to be in the middle. I've seen few desires for that. Of course, I'd want this mixture to mix well, not just force several comic relief scenes in their serious routine to meet some sort of comic relief quota.

    - Is this an unpopular opinion? I'd rather they not have a Best Wishes! and Best Wishes! Season 2, just combining them into one. I'm fine with them still changing the theme song and etc. I guess they made such episodes be Season 2 instead of more "Season 1 and Only" episodes to make the eps more special due to B2/W2's existence (and ratings apparently not doing so well from one point in BW! to at least up to Season 2's start or so- I saw a thread on that earlier).

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Blueberry View Post
    Is that so? Then I'm really happy to hear that XDD But nobody reallly talked about it... so...
    I think that's just it- from what I've seen, whether Steven should've done more hadn't been brought up much. And yeah, I feel the same way about Steven wanting to do more, and out of the little I've seen of people mentioning the issue, there was more in favor of him doing more.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Fighting Misty
    Also I don't like how people think the original trio is more important than any of the other groups. It was only ever used for about 50 more episodes than the others which in the anime means nothing. The writers never had any intention of reuniting the original trio and we all knew this back in 2004.
    Not only that though, but it was the first group. I don't think that means to put the group on a high pedestal (although I see some people do), but I do think that does give that group something.
    Seasons =/= Regions

  12. #102
    Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    28,646
    Blog Entries
    49

    Default Re: Do you have any unpopular opinions about the anime?

    I prefer Paul over Gary, but I prefer Gary infinitely over Trip. In fact Trip's inclusion in the show made me realize that I still liked Gary, even if he was treated poorly by the writers. Seriously, I'd rather have an entertaining but poorly handled rival, over a bland and boring but regularly appearing rival.

  13. #103
    Time Traveler Silktree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    8,393
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default Re: Do you have any unpopular opinions about the anime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cilan
    7. Paul is overrated. He's basically Silver from GSC, but I don't think he was developed as well as Silver was. I get that the anime isn't as 'dark' as the games (for the most part) but I kind of wish we could have learned more about Paul's past to see why he was so cold.
    Agreed. What I find strange is the fact that the writers and quite a few fans do think that Paul's backstory in regard to his brother explains his cold and unnecessarily harsh demeanor. So what if Reggie lost to Brandon and decided to become a breeder? Brandon told Paul that his obsession with what happened to Reggie raised questions as to his own goals as a trainer, but Paul was at a loss for words. That was the end of that weak plot line.
    Charbok and martianmister like this.

  14. #104
    zzz YamiiDenryuu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Gender
    Genderless
    Posts
    1,816
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Do you have any unpopular opinions about the anime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rex Kamex View Post
    - I'd prefer BW! JJ&M to be, rather than incredibly serious or incredibly comic relief, to be in the middle. I've seen few desires for that. Of course, I'd want this mixture to mix well, not just force several comic relief scenes in their serious routine to meet some sort of comic relief quota.
    Just piping up to say I agree with this. I usually never bother to bring it up, though, because JJM internet debates can get quite scary (or stupid, whichever).

  15. #105
    You think you're bad, don't ya? Karamazov's Avatar Administrator
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,882
    Blog Entries
    780

    Follow Karamazov on Tumblr

    Default Re: Do you have any unpopular opinions about the anime?

    I actually enjoyed Meloetta's time on Team Twerp. She didn't do much, but she was nice, she didn't hog the screen, and her singing was enjoyable.

    "Playing around?" Wrong.

Page 7 of 46 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

  1. 28th December 2012, 06:40 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •