Do you have any unpopular opinions about the anime? - Page 29

Page 29 of 46 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast
Like Tree740Likes

Thread: Do you have any unpopular opinions about the anime?

Bonded Forever Misty Calls Masquerain's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Do you have any unpopular opinions about the anime?

Sucked? It was up against MILTANK! Miltank is a beast, there's no shame in losing to THAT THING.

That still doesn't mean its weak

Registeel is UU, AND had a type disadvantage, of course it would at least almost win. Infernape is only strong with Blaze.

So is Scraggy and no one's complaining.

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Misty Calls Masquerain View Post
    Sucked? It was up against MILTANK! Miltank is a beast, there's no shame in losing to THAT THING.

That still doesn't mean its weak

Registeel is UU, AND had a type disadvantage, of course it would at least almost win. Infernape is only strong with Blaze.

So is Scraggy and no one's complaining.
    So then what are we discussing? Ash's Johto team definitely was his worst developed team. This is why after Johto ended, they were almost never used in any real battles again. Only Cyndaquil was and it got 10 seconds of screentime in the league.

Its no surprise that Ash's Kanto Pokemon return over and over, and Ash's Hoenn Pokemon were used so much and got major wins. His Sinnoh team also made Ash look like the strongest he ever did.

So I would say, the teams he got all the starters in, excluding Kanto, tended to be his worst. The Johto and Unova teams are painfully mediocre.

Blog Entries

You didn't address directly.

I think Unova is the worst developed, sure they're strong, but no real improvement.

Blog Entries

Well I wouldn't call this an unpopular opinion, but here goes:

- Ash's Kanto, Hoenn and Sinnoh Pokemon tend to be his strongest and best trusted Pokemon. They have almost all of the major wins in the anime and propelled Ash to new heights.

- Ash's Johto and Unova teams are underwhelming, the few wins they get don't really compare to the other teams. He has a few standout Pokemon on each, like Heracross and Krokorok, but one strong Pokemon cannot save an entire team.

Blog Entries

Another for me: All of the Kanto and Johto Pokemon had better personalities than most, if not all the others.

Blog Entries

I also didn't like the personalities of Ash's Johto pokemon sans Bayleef. Cyndaquil had virtually no personality at all and its only gimmick was getting its flame lit. Totodile's dancing/obnoxious personality I actually never liked even as a kid. I always viewed Totodile as, "trying too hard." Noctowl had zero personality but then again all the birds don't.

Bayleef was literally the only Johto Pokemon to have a well developed personality. All the others were just gimmick oriented and the writers didn't develop them past their gimmicks. Remove Totodile's dancing and what's its personality?
    Hoopa likes this.

Blog Entries

Cyndaquil was a bit insecure, again, how many episodes did you watch exactly??

Totodile was laid-back and fun loving.

Noctowl was wise, observant, and somewhat fatherly, also it had some mroe facets to its personality in its debut ep.

Blog Entries

Cyndaquil was a bit insecure, again, how many episodes did you watch exactly??

Totodile was laid-back and fun loving.

Noctowl was wise, observant, and somewhat fatherly, also it had some mroe facets to its personality in its debut ep.
    I've seen all of Johto, multiple times even. How was Cyndaquil insecure? Its only personality was struggling to get its flame lit, after that it just disappeared. What exactly does, "fun loving" mean?

Noctowl being, "wise and observant" means little when these traits disappeared after its capture episode and became a generic bird for the rest of the saga. Even its psychic abilities were almost never used back in Johto.

I think the writers did an extremely poor job with the Johto Pokemon, almost as if they purposely handled them badly just so they could bring back the more popular Kanto starters when the saga was drawing to a close.

Blog Entries

Its self-explanatory but: Totodile just liked to relax, kick back and have fun, without a care in the Pokemon World.

Noctowl was still wise and observant, which is why it was relied on to help find Team Rocket much of the time. The traits that disappeared were its prankster traits.

Why would they handled them "badly" on purpose? Maybe to you, they tried and failed.

Blog Entries

Why would they handled them "badly" on purpose? Maybe to you, they tried and failed.
    I think its rather obvious especially compared to how they glorified Bulbasaur/Squirtle/Charizard constantly that the Johto Pokemon were never given that star treatment. They had the misfortune of directly following Ash's popular classic Kanto team and didn't break out on their own due to their lackluster development and personalities. The writers had the Kanto starters return for the the league because that's who we wanted to see battle. After that the Johto starters were dumped for the rest of the series pretty much.

It wasn't until Hoenn started where Ash's team could break out of the shadows of the previous ones and stand on their own. Unfortunately the Unova Pokemon fall into the same trap now, but I guess nobody really cares here.
    Johtohfiller likes this.

Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

Quote Originally Posted by The Fighting Misty View Post
    I think its rather obvious especially compared to how they glorified Bulbasaur/Squirtle/Charizard constantly that the Johto Pokemon were never given that star treatment. They had the misfortune of directly following Ash's popular classic Kanto team and didn't break out on their own due to their lackluster development and personalities. The writers had the Kanto starters return for the the league because that's who we wanted to see battle. After that the Johto starters were dumped for the rest of the series pretty much.
    To be fair, none of his other teams, or starters for that matter, have been glorified like the Kanto starters. They're generally more marketable and being the first set of starters helps too. Personally, I thought that the Johto starters had more personality than the Kanto starters. They weren't handled well, but I think a major factor as to why that was the case was that they carried Ash's Kanto starters to Johto, which meant it took them longer for them to give Ash the starters. They might have been able to handle them better if they started off the journey with Ash only taking Pikachu. This was their first attempt at making a long journey for a whole generation, so it's practically expected that they would make more noticeable mistakes. It doesn't excuse all of them, but it isn't surprising in retrospect. Still, what the Johto team lacked for battle, they made up with their personalities and I think that was a good step forward for the writers. Bayleaf and Cyndaquil were definitely strong, especially when Cyndaquil was in so many Gym battles, and Noctowl's one Gym battle is better than anything Pidgeotto ever did. Totodile was weak unfortunately, but it still had more personality than Squirtle did.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fighting Misty
    It wasn't until Hoenn started where Ash's team could break out of the shadows of the previous ones and stand on their own. Unfortunately the Unova Pokemon fall into the same trap now, but I guess nobody really cares here.
    That was most likely because they learned from their mistakes and Hoenn as a whole didn't rely on previous generations like Johto did with Kanto. While Ash's Unova Pokemon are pretty lackluster, I'm not sure if it's just because he has the three starters again. I think that the main problem with the Unova team is that they gave Ash too many Pokemon and haven't really done much with any of them.
    pokemon fan 132 likes this.

Blog Entries

There was definitely some sort of odd shafting of the Johto starters in general. I didn't understand why Heracross got sent to Oak's so fast, why Bulbasaur lasted so long despite not even being used in a Gym battle that arc, and why Totodile/Noctowl only got 1 Gym.
    Johtohfiller likes this.

Blog Entries

Follow Bubble Frog on Tumblr

I like Thunder Armor.

Registered User Typhlosionisafirebadger's Avatar

Charizard is only the third (arguably fourth or fifth) most gangsta of Ash's pokemon
    obv squirtle is first
    Sceptile second
    Bulbasaur third
    Pikachu a possible tied third or fourth
    and then Charizard

Quote Originally Posted by The Fighting Misty View Post
    That's one thing I liked about Johto was Ash's starter pokemon. They were much cuter and did have more personality than for the ones in Kanto.

I like Thunder Armor.
    Me too. Finally someone who likes it but me!

Page 29 of 46 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 28th December 2012, 06:40 AM