Do you have any unpopular opinions about the anime? - Page 28

Page 28 of 46 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast
Like Tree740Likes

Thread: Do you have any unpopular opinions about the anime?

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Do you have any unpopular opinions about the anime?

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderfella View Post
    Speaking of Kasumi I'd say an unpopular opinion I have about her is that whenever she did get a chance to shine her moments really were favorable and noble:

-The Misty Mermaid was a very well-written episode.
    -For Cryin' Out Loud tugged at the heart-strings
    -Her cameo in AG, especially her interactions with Max and kissing her Pokeball to a Pokemon she once loathed was epic
    -Her Chronicle episodes were also decent and realistic because they showed with Misty being on her own, she had to do things her way opposed to Ash's way.
    -Her battles with Staryu(although a select few) were just awesome-Movie 3 ring a bell?

My unpopular opinion is that Kasumi did very well had her likeable moments, action-packed moments, and even a few epic moments. She just wasn't given the proper time with the endless amount of fillers to do so.

Just like Iris wasn't given the amount of time saga wise to properly develop her story. I blame the writers for lack of Kasumi utilization in a large span of time and the amount of Iris glorification in such a short span of time.

The writers are at fault for Misty and Iris' developments, not the characters themselves.
    So in other words 40% of her run? :p

I don't think anyone will deny that Misty/Brock spent a large chunk of their run not really doing anything but making random observation comments of whatever was going on in the episode. If the writers focused on the two a little better and didn't neglect them for half their run, they would have fared better as main characters.

I guess they had the misfortune of being in the anime when it was heavily focused on Ash himself or the actual pokemon. Brock really didn't do much more in Johto than AG or DP either for that matter.

pokemon fan 132 pokemon fan 132's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Fighting Misty View Post

I don't think anyone will deny that Misty/Brock spent a large chunk of their run not really doing anything but making random observation comments of whatever was going on in the episode. If the writers focused on the two a little better and didn't neglect them for half their run, they would have fared better as main characters.

I guess they had the misfortune of being in the anime when it was heavily focused on Ash himself or the actual pokemon. Brock really didn't do much more in Johto than AG or DP either for that matter.
    Its more 60% but who counts? :p
    Some people tend to evaluate character activity only on number of battles or tournaments he participated in. Or in how many episodes centered around himself or dealing with growth he/she received.

But there is much more to someone rather than just aforementioned things which is i guess one of more unpopular opinions i have about anime. Since i believe moments where characters share role with others in episodes contributing to resolve of plots such as whole Eevee brothers episode helping Mikey to stand up for himself, gym battles in Orange islands where romance subplot was played with her helping Ash to win battle, various episodes where i saw Misty and Brock do research and resolve mystery such as steal of food caused by Teddiursa or Hundoom etc count as well.
    Along with bringing humor and lively dynamic on regular basis making many episodes ennobled and more fun to watch.

For back in day standards and formula which was mainly centered on Ash personally in my opinion Misty and Brock had good or decent focus for most part. Especially in Kanto, OI and in second half of Johto.

I guess it could be said how most focus Ash first traveling companions received was in one way or another connected with Ash development as trainer, while getting their moments at times where they were fleshed out more as characters. Granted Misty got more focus than Brock, but still he had many great moments.

Im sure many will disagree but personally i was fine with role this two had in OS for most part, although more attention toward them wouldn't had hurt.
    Last edited by pokemon fan 132; 8th March 2013 at 12:04 PM.

Blog Entries

Follow Bubble Frog on Tumblr

Huh? I didn't mind Brock in AG. I actually think he was far better there and somewhat in DP than in OS. He actually caught some marketable Pokemon with personalities that were seen consistently. Despite Mudkip not doing much at all at least he evolved and gained a Brock-like personality in that Flaaffy BF episode and later went on to outclass May completely at her own game. Then we have Ludicolo who was shown to have a personality and at least battle somewhat often. Bonsly was good before he lost his marketability and Brock got himself a mascot in Croagunk, it's because of that Croagunk was seen often outside of the Poison Jabbing gag.

-Brock, not that bad imo. He did feel like background fodder at times but I still liked him and when he did shine in episodes they were entertaining most of the time for me. The Pokemon Cosplay episode, Bonsly's capture, Lombre's evolution, or the Marilyn episode, shame his Pokemon hardly learned any new moves and when they did they were hardly used.(Secret Power & Hammer Arm) It got on my nerves how Ash and Dawn would steal the show, even in Brock's star episodes, and save the day from TR. Getting a role in the Galactic finale was nice and he played a nice elder role regardless. Had some entertaining interactions with Max.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stickerstaryoshi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SonGoku View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gotpika View Post
    Ash's Shoujo eyes are much better than his old ones.

They especially look good in AG.
    MY EYES!!! OUCH!!!

It's gonna take some getting used to...that's for sure.
    Was that intentional? XP
    Actually, purely coincidental. XD.

I never said the writing as a whole was something to give credit for. Both Misty and Brock desperately needed more focus.

Funny, it brings me to another unpopular opinion. Every girl needed something the other lacked in:
    -May could've used some of Dawn's character development early on rather than appear to be such a pro.
    -Dawn could've used some of May's interesting rivals besides just Ursula
    -Misty could've used some Iris-type glorification since Johto was spaced out long enough for all to be developed properly compared to BW
    -Iris could've used some of Misty's funny Kanto quirks opposed to condescending ones, passive attitude, character growth as a person, as well as her short span of screentime since she was shoved down our throats so much as a prowess.

In a way, I think each main girl lacked something as well had something that worked for them. Everyone is going to have their favorites, but I guess I'm saying another unpopular opinion of mine is that I've come to the realization that every character will be flawed some type of way and if you can just get passed the inevitability, you can enjoy the show a whole lot better.

I hated Misty's lack of screentime, Iris' glorification and easy wins, May's lack of early struggle, and most of Dawn's rivals just like everyone else but since there's nothing that can be done all we can do is hope the writers do a decent job with the next girl.

Blog Entries

I never said the writing as a whole was something to give credit for. Both Misty and Brock desperately needed more focus.
    Well that's because Misty was essentially a Brock-like character, only with slightly more screentime.

For example Brock is in the anime for over 600 episodes and is Ash's longest lasting travel companion...yet it feels like nobody cares. Even though Brock is in all those episodes, it really doesn't matter because he hardly did anything in 90% of them.

Misty might be in 275 episodes, but again, in most of them she doesn't really do anything. Having a character basically repeat Brock's random observation comments in the eps that weren't water-centered was obvious. This is why it doesn't feel like Misty lasted a long time, even if she was in the show for 1 year longer than May or Dawn were.

I guess episode count really doesn't matter.

Well that's because Misty was essentially a Brock-like character, only with slightly more screentime.
    Nah. I mean she was given slightly more screentime, but another unpopular opinion is that Misty did show a lot more passion whenever given the opportunity too. Unlike Cilan and Max, characters like Brock and Tracey were very passive. Doesn't make them bad, but it does make them different. While Misty became much more passive towards the end of the show, she was still the tomboyish red-headed girl. After Kanto, the writers just sadly downplayed it much more.

For example Brock is in the anime for over 600 episodes and is Ash's longest lasting travel companion...yet it feels like nobody cares. Even though Brock is in all those episodes, it really doesn't matter because he hardly did anything in 90% of them.
    I care. Brock is original. Do I want to see him cameo at this instant right now this minute? No. Unless he came with Kasumi, it'd be great to see the parallels Iris and Cilan to Misty and Brock. But, it's because Brock had so many episodes under his belt, he's not in a desperate need for a cameo like that.

Misty might be in 275 episodes, but again, in most of them she doesn't really do anything. Having a character basically repeat Brock's random observation comments in the eps that weren't water-centered was obvious. This is why it doesn't feel like Misty lasted a long time, even if she was in the show for 1 year longer than May or Dawn were.
    Misty definitely did though. The nostalgia factor keeps Misty in Pokemon Hall of Fame lol. Another unpopular opinion: Since Misty was around in the 90's, she definitely matters. So does Team Rocket, Brock, and the original starters. Hell, even Tracey we literally just saw him :p

I guess episode count really doesn't matter.
    As long as characters are utilized it matters. I mean shit, Paul was handled much better than Gary and Ursula much better than Zoey. However, if May left right after her first Hoenn Grand Festival, she wouldn't of felt complete to me. Just look at Iris, Cilan, Georgia, and Burgundy.

Another unpopular opinion: Had Best Wishes lasted until late 2014, it may just have been better.

Moe
    Blog Entries

It doesn't matter how long the series is - it matters how far out the writers know when it will be, so that the bulk of the series can be written knowing when they have to have things wrapped up.

If BW went to 2014, but they still had the terribly done attempt at promoting BW2 dumped in at the same point then it wouldn't have been better. Ash's last few badges were just far too quick and that was on top of the already very fast pace, and that's flowed on to having nothing for Ash to do now, besides a few arcs with false endings and drama.
    Hidden Mew and martianmister like this.

Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

Funny, it brings me to another unpopular opinion. Every girl needed something the other lacked in:
    -May could've used some of Dawn's character development early on rather than appear to be such a pro.
    -Dawn could've used some of May's interesting rivals besides just Ursula
    -Misty could've used some Iris-type glorification since Johto was spaced out long enough for all to be developed properly compared to BW
    -Iris could've used some of Misty's funny Kanto quirks opposed to condescending ones, passive attitude, character growth as a person, as well as her short span of screentime since she was shoved down our throats so much as a prowess.

I hated Misty's lack of screentime, Iris' glorification and easy wins, May's lack of early struggle, and most of Dawn's rivals just like everyone else but since there's nothing that can be done all we can do is hope the writers do a decent job with the next girl.

In a way, I think each main girl lacked something as well had something that worked for them. Everyone is going to have their favorites, but I guess I'm saying another unpopular opinion of mine is that I've come to the realization that every character will be flawed some type of way and if you can just get passed the inevitability, you can enjoy the show a whole lot better.

I agree that May could have used some early development that Dawn hand and Dawn definitely needed more interesting rivals to bounce off her personality with, but I really don't think that Misty getting Iris type glorification would have been good. She did need more focus and screentime, but if she was glorified like Iris has been with doing little to nothing or just having the average strength that she had during the original series, it still would have been annoying and undeserving just like it is with Iris. Iris definitely should have had more positive/appealing qualities to her personality and growth as a person since they tried to make it look like she had come a long way on her journey when she hasn't really changed at all. Hopefully, the next girl will be handled better, or at least have a more appealing personality like May and Dawn had.

Bonded Forever Misty Calls Masquerain's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I love Johto (fillers and all) --- its what I grew up with.
    Ash should have gotten all the starters in Hoenn and Sinnoh (Torkoal, Corphish and Buizel never appealed to me.)

Blog Entries

Ash getting all the starters is a horrible idea, and only worked once (back in Kanto). His Johto and Unova teams are awful because he got all the starters and didn't develop them.

Anyone notice when Ash gets all the starters, his Pokemon tend not to evolve much either? My least favorite teams are the ones Ash has all the starters in, excluding Kanto.

Blog Entries

To you, maybe.

His Johto team was actually decent, what episodes did you watch?

Unova --- no comment.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Misty Calls Masquerain View Post
    To you, maybe.

His Johto team was actually decent, what episodes did you watch?
    His Johto team was very mediocre at battling. He had to bring back his Kanto starters just to do well in the Johto league, simply because his Johto team couldn't cut it. It is blatantly his worst developed pokemon team, which is why they have next to no major accomplishments as well.

Totodile never won a single Gym battle, Noctowl was painfully underused, and while Bayleef/Cyndaquil were decent, they're not as strong as his other grass/fire types by far. Phanpy also didn't develop until Battle Frontier. Heracross was the only good one, but he was dumped so early in Johto it didn't matter/

Blog Entries

Totodile proved his worth, also, it was only IN one gym battle, your point is moot.

Noctowl fulfilled his role. Also, later on, it came back to Sinnoh with a better moveset.

Just because they're not AS strong doesn't mean they aren't strong. Also Cyndaquil evolved in Sinnoh. Torkoal is not that strong either.

Phanpy was still pretty strong.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Misty Calls Masquerain View Post
    Totodile proved his worth, also, it was only IN one gym battle, your point is moot.
    Yeah, Totodile was only in one Gym battle where it sucked in. Its blatantly Ash's weakest water pokemon of his entire lineup.

Noctowl fulfilled his role. Also, later on, it came back to Sinnoh with a better moveset.
    Now it is, but in the actual Johto saga it was weak. Only 1 Gym battle and all the other times it was used as a balloon popper.

Just because they're not AS strong doesn't mean they aren't strong. Also Cyndaquil evolved in Sinnoh.

Phanpy was still pretty strong.
    And...no. They were strong AFTER they started evolving because AG and DP fixed the mistakes made in Johto. Cyndaquil is quite obviously not on Charizard or Infernape's level. Torkoal may be worse than them, but it almost defeated a legendary.

And again, Phanpy was just a baby Pokemon in Johto. It was until AG it became decently competent.

Page 28 of 46 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 28th December 2012, 06:40 AM